Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Vando posted:

Oh yeah, while everyone was melting down about that restart I went back and watched the replay and you all missed the cool duel for the win between Ziploc and Helicon.

:( I just went a little too deep into 3 otherwise I could have won the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Also Skip Barbers on ovals are cool but other combinations could be cool too and I'm ok with trying out some different variations to see what else we can come up with.

Actually how about a season of races where every week is a different car and track combo? We'd probably need to go easy on paid content but with the old cars being free now there's still a good range of options.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I'm thinking about doing something like 2x20min races for a few weeks with one Skip and one wildcard but using the same track. Probably all ovals as they require less practice and are easier to generate close racing.

Also I'm cutting back from the slightly longer race distances I used this season as it can get a bit boring. Iowa in particular dragged a bit, despite being green almost the entire way.

Vando fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 3, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

If it gets boring the steward just needs to put up a debris caution just like oval racing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Spec Racers on ovals is a recipe for chaos with the lift off oversteer they have.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I'd like to see what the FRs are like, depending on how many people own it. Lotus 79 is The Dream but it's a bit of a stretch in terms of value elsewhere, at least the FR is a strong series.

Or maybe the Star Mazda will become free next season? :getin:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Vando posted:

I'm thinking about doing something like 2x20min races for a few weeks with one Skip and one wildcard but using the same track. Probably all ovals as they require less practice and are easier to generate close racing.

Also I'm cutting back from the slightly longer race distances I used this season as it can get a bit boring. Iowa in particular dragged a bit, despite being green almost the entire way.

Mid length ovals can drag a bit when the field is fairly light and everyone starts to spread out, if we could magic up a handful more regulars to turn left with us I don't think that would be an issue (and I prefer the slightly longer flatter ovals to super short courses like Concord).

Anyone else got a Kevin they want to rope in?

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 3, 2016

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Vando asked me to test out the free stock cars at Iowa; so I've done a 50 lap run with both the free B Class and the free Truck (not the COT, its poo poo, except on plate tracks but that's only because they've taken the plates off). I used the Iowa setup with the B Class, and the Phoenix set with the Truck since that's probably the most appropriate.

The Truck is really easy to drive; I actually spent a few laps afterwards trying to loop it off of 3 (the big issue with stock cars at Iowa in my past experience, that's where the Yellows are in official races) and I never could unless I did something totally stupid. It is very tight in turn entry though and only ever gets tighter because of tyre drop-off: after 50 laps my RF was 228F which is very hot and the wear was 79%, . A fair amount of drop-off as well which you'd expect with those figures, I lost about 1.8 seconds a lap over my run. I'd recommend that folk spend 15 minutes just getting used to the thing first since Stock Cars on Ovals just take a bit of getting used to, but we shouldn't have a caution-full race because the car is ridiculously hard to drive. I don't know how well it will race, I might see if I can fiddle with the setup to free the thing up ever so slightly on turn entry (and also lower the gearing slightly, you're giving up 1,000 revs at max). Another advantage is that you can rub the walls a bit and not lose much time: I had a few 0x wall rubs and a 2x smash off of 4 and didn't lose that much time because of it; that should theoretically reduce the need for people to use fast repairs for minor stuff.

I think that the B Class Impala handles better with that setup which you'd expect since its using an Iowa setup, its naturally going to be more suited. It feels better earlier in the run, it doesn't have that really tight on entry feel that the Truck has. However, its a bit loose in 3 and 4 (although it felt fine in 1 and 2). However the tyre wear is a lot more as the run goes on - my RF was 69% and 241F after a 50 lap run which isn't great, and means that the thing is very tight off the turns as the run goes on. It probably would race better if you had a field that ran stock cars semi-regularly, but we don't have that and also considering how crap the things gets over a long run (admittedly there was a slide in there, that might have killed the tyres although the rears are less worn than in the Truck so that doesn't make sense) its not the pick that I'd make without making it better in the long run which would probably loosen it up, and that makes it harder to drive initially.

The short point is that both would work: the C Class would probably be better with a less experienced field though. Its not totally undrivable, I just prefer cars that are a little loose so the Truck feels odd. I'd recommend cautions on because we shouldn't have issues with people always spinning: its not going to be like the awesome Skips at Iowa races though. I don't know how long the race would be; if its as long as the New Hampshire oval was it should be interesting though; you'll have enough fuel to get through the race but you lose a bunch of time from tyre wear which isn't something we've ever had in a gooncar thing before.

Sorry for all the long words; thought that I'd explain myself fully, its probably incredibly boring.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

IceAgeComing posted:

the COT, its poo poo, except on plate tracks but that's only because they've taken the plates off

:stare:

That could be interesting.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Slickdrac posted:

:stare:

That could be interesting.

Not telling yall what to do because I don't play right now but you should this

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

I don't speak NASCAR, plates are there to create drag and slow down the car on superspeedways and so without them it turns into DEATH RACE 2000. Correct?

e: Wait, I may be confusing a restrictor plate with a Hanford Wing from the fuzzy depths of my CART memories.

I'm actually contemplating doing an oval series next season so maybe I should get to know this stuff.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 4, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Restrictor plate is a thing that goes between Carb and intake (Now just intake I believe since they went to Fuel Injection) that restricts the flow of air into the engine thus limiting power. This keeps them from doing probalby around 225 mph but also makes all the cars drive prety much the same and drive around in a big group of cars where you need to be in the draft in order to keep up.

This also means that the only way to get a speed advantage is by using the draft to your advantage, it's all about timing your pass so you can gain speed, jump out of line then get back into the draft before you lose your steam and fall to the back of the line. This is why at Talladega and Daytona you get 25 cars driving 2 and 3 wide all within 1.5 seconds from start to end of line.

Edit: Theres 2 arguments, 1. 225mph would cause it to be death-race 3000. 2. Pack racing is dangerous because it puts lots of cars together, makes them run super close together, and causes wrecks and cars to flip.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 4, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah in plate racing when one car goes they're almost guaranteed to take out at least 5 others.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I think what amounts to Goon Carb Cup would be fun.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I don't loving care what we drive. Gooncar will be fun.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I put up a truck race at Iowa for Sunday. 20 min qual, 60 lap race with 40 min limit. Will add a fixed setup when IceAge posts the final version.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Ziploc posted:

I don't loving care what we drive. Gooncar will be fun.
Jesus christ, seriously. Just have whoever's paying the money pick a car and pick a track, stop trying to analyze the perfect combo.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Jesus christ, seriously. Just have whoever's paying the money pick a car and pick a track, stop trying to analyze the perfect combo.

Legends @ Mosport

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We literally just did that. See you Sunday, yeah?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Vando posted:

We literally just did that. See you Sunday, yeah?

Betcha we wont

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Sprint Cars at Charlotte Legends Oval. 100 laps.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

OhsH posted:

Betcha we wont
You can't afford me

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bentai posted:

Sprint Cars at Charlotte Legends Oval. 100 laps.

cautions on

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Fruitstripe is a big ol bitch who won't even race.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
When he's right he's right

But I actually am thinking of coming back - not necessarily to Gooncar but to iRacing in general. I never quit in any dramatic sense, I just needed some time off because the time I was racing could have been better spent doing X Y or Z. Well I don't even have the gal durn discipline to X Y or Z now that I'm not racing, so poo poo, let's just race.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I quit my job and should have more time on the 21st. Maybe I'll stop being a internet hermit and flex around a bit.

GT3s would be fun sometime. I think we all own at least one.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Norns posted:

I quit my job and should have more time on the 21st. Maybe I'll stop being a internet hermit and flex around a bit.

GT3s would be fun sometime. I think we all own at least one.

GT3 ON OVALS :w00t:

There's the Nurburgring 24hours at the start of June which is the next big endurance event and I'm pretty sure we will goonrush the poo poo out of it.

(only 1 GT3 in the line up though)

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Helicon One posted:

(only 1 GT3 in the line up though)

There should be none :colbert:

Gonna MX-5 the poo poo outta the 24.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna enter the MX5 for "the lulz"

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

To be fair, the new MX5 is a real joy to drive.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

When he's right he's right

But I actually am thinking of coming back - not necessarily to Gooncar but to iRacing in general. I never quit in any dramatic sense, I just needed some time off because the time I was racing could have been better spent doing X Y or Z. Well I don't even have the gal durn discipline to X Y or Z now that I'm not racing, so poo poo, let's just race.
I ran two races tonight, and man I just got worked. I started running exclusively oval because I imagined it was easier - well I mean, it sure is easier to turn left, but it turns out it's easier for everyone else too. Need to get back to some road racing and hopefully witness some other drivers make some mistakes, because back marking in oval races sure is boring.

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general
Did you end up keeping your fancy obutto ?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I ran two races tonight, and man I just got worked. I started running exclusively oval because I imagined it was easier - well I mean, it sure is easier to turn left, but it turns out it's easier for everyone else too. Need to get back to some road racing and hopefully witness some other drivers make some mistakes, because back marking in oval races sure is boring.

Kansas in trucks? It's a really hard track to master, easy to drive and turn left, hard to run the high line and be fast without hitting the wall.

But yes if you aren't racing others or in the fray in an oval race it ends up being boring, you still pick up spots by folks spinning out, but it's nowhere near as fun.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I finally decided to join a race and its pretty fun even though I didn't do well. I started 10/12 and finished 9/12. I didn't notice the car set up button until after the practice ended - although I am not sure how much that would of made a difference as my fastest lap was 2.4 seconds behind.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I finally decided to join a race and its pretty fun even though I didn't do well. I started 10/12 and finished 9/12. I didn't notice the car set up button until after the practice ended - although I am not sure how much that would of made a difference as my fastest lap was 2.4 seconds behind.

If you were in either of the rookie leagues they're both fixed setup. I think the only thing you can tinker with is tire pressure.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Any race where you finish higher than you started is a good race.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For example I just did a race starting 2nd finished 9th or something because I not blowing out my tires at Las Vegas remains a mystery to me.

That was a bad race.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

LordPants posted:

For example I just did a race starting 2nd finished 9th or something because I not blowing out my tires at Las Vegas remains a mystery to me.

That was a bad race.

you can't hotlap every lap. you need to save those tires because Vegas will eat tires.. The trucks there is fun because I"ll get passed by 5-6 cars then in 5 laps I'm passing them like they'r standing still. I'm not good in the B cars yet so I need to figure the track/car combo out still.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Overwined posted:

If you were in either of the rookie leagues they're both fixed setup. I think the only thing you can tinker with is tire pressure.

Oh, thats good to know. How often do the rookie races change tracks?

njsykora posted:

Any race where you finish higher than you started is a good race.

I felt like I made some bonehead mistakes and that I could have done better..

What is the maximum safety points you can get during a race? I gained .13 on this race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

SPACE HOMOS posted:

What is the maximum safety points you can get during a race? I gained .13 on this race.

Safety rating is a weird thing. The two main factors are number of corners per incident and then your historical safety record. There is a record they keep of the last x-thousand corners with how many incidents you had, and it is sort of a moving average of that. If you do a race and it pushes a really bad race out of that record then you will get a big gain. You can also get a situation where you push a perfect race out of your record with a 1 incident race and you will see a drop in SR.

It is a weird thing.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Oh, thats good to know. How often do the rookie races change tracks?

Tracks change once a week. Every 13 weeks they release a new schedule that may have some new tracks on it (but for rookie they tend to be close to the same).

• Locked thread