Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LemonDrizzle posted:

Paul Mason wants Austria's EU membership suspended if the far-right candidate wins the presidency: http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...country-from-eu

Has a good summary of the rise of the populist/anti-immigration right across Europe, although it wouldn't be a Mason piece without at least a few inaccuracies and bits of silliness - afaik the Polish Law & Justice party are very keen on NATO rather than wanting to see it dismantled, and the invocation of Greece is completely spurious. Also, the central claim - that electing an arsehole could be defined as a severe breach of fundamental rights meriting suspensions of membership - is patently absurd. Still, interesting.

The invocation of Greece isn't spurious, it's an example of how the EU can absolutely destroy a country if it doesn't like its elected government. The irony here is that while the EU leadership is vehemently hostile to all left-wing governments, it does nothing against the far-right ones. Not a word, not a sanction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Friendly Humour posted:

The invocation of Greece isn't spurious, it's an example of how the EU can absolutely destroy a country if it doesn't like its elected government. The irony here is that while the EU leadership is vehemently hostile to all left-wing governments, it does nothing against the far-right ones. Not a word, not a sanction.
The eurogroup/ECB were able to act effectively against Greece because Greece owes the EU a lot of money and its public finances are in a dire state. Neither is true for Austria. On top of that, the EU didn't take any action simply because Syriza was elected, it acted in response to actions that Syriza took once in power. Mason is calling for action against Austria without regard to the president's actions.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Friendly Humour posted:

The EU is doing nothing to "crush" Greece. Like seriously, name one instance of Juncker not bending over backwards to help Tsipras and his cronies? There is a distinct difference between being reluctant to hand over another €50 billion and invoking Article 7 just because a country elected someone you don't like.

LemonDrizzle posted:

The eurogroup/ECB were able to act effectively against Greece because Greece owes the EU a lot of money and its public finances are in a dire state. Neither is true for Austria. On top of that, the EU didn't take any action simply because Syriza was elected, it acted in response to actions that Syriza took once in power. Mason is calling for action against Austria without regard to the president's actions.

The ECB never acted against Greece or any other Southern country. Their policy of cheap money is the one thing that prevents them all from going tits up and the Greek banking system was allowed to live because Draghi extended ELA credit far beyond what was reasonable.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 3, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Mason is calling for action against Austria without regard to the president's actions.

Hmmm yes I can't see any reason to be pre-emptive about a far-right Austrian being elected to the highest office.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tesseraction posted:

Hmmm yes I can't see any reason to be pre-emptive about a far-right Austrian being elected to the highest office.

Are you suggesting that the Austrian people are genetically predisposed to being a Hitler?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

GaussianCopula posted:

The ECB never acted against Greece or any other Southern country. Their policy of cheap money is the one thing that prevents them all from going tits up and the Greek banking system was allowed to live because Draghi extended ELA credit far beyond what was reasonable.
Well, if you object to the phrase "acted against", mentally replace that part with "the EU had leverage over the Greek government because Greece owes the EU a lot of money. Austria doesn't."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Are you suggesting that the Austrian people are genetically predisposed to being a Hitler?

Eh, 2 in a century isn't that common. Britain has produced several more Hitlers per century, just our dumb electoral system has thankfully prevailed in keeping them out of power.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LemonDrizzle posted:

Paul Mason wants Austria's EU membership suspended if the far-right candidate wins the presidency: http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...country-from-eu

quote:

The swing happened despite the centrist coalition government putting razor wire on Austria’s border with Hungary, deporting thousands of refugees and demonstratively excluding Greece from the summit that effectively closed the Balkan route. Police in Austria report a 60% year-on-year rise in racist incidents, while those who monitor racism online report numerous instances of Nazi-glorification linked to anti-migrant hate speech.

Wow, it's like when politicians decide to be Fascist-Lite, voters start going for Fascist-Original Recipe instead? Like if you turn the public discourse away from "fascism is bad" and decide to make it instead "fascism is good in moderation" then that will benefit the real fascists more than the "traditional" parties?

When your policies are based on the axiom that immigrants are an existential threat to the country and they should be kept out, that's why you're building fences, then why the gently caress are you surprised that those people who say "immigrants are an existential threat to the country, that's why we're gonna boot them out of here" gain votes? By going fascist-lite, you're not appeasing the fascist itch of the electorate, you're justifying it and telling people that fascism is the answer, so of course they're gonna go for the real-deal instead of the diet version you're trying to sell them.

Tesseraction posted:

Eh, 2 in a century isn't that common. Britain has produced several more Hitlers per century, just our dumb electoral system has thankfully prevailed in keeping them out of power.

You could probably find people in India who would count Churchill as one.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 3, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Wow, it's like when politicians decide to be Fascist-Lite, voters start going for Fascist-Original Recipe instead? Like if you turn the public discourse away from "fascism is bad" and decide to make it instead "fascism is good in moderation" then that will benefit the real fascists more than the "traditional" parties?

When your policies are based on the axiom that immigrants are an existential threat to the country and they should be kept out, that's why you're building fences, then why the gently caress are you surprised that those people who say "immigrants are an existential threat to the country, that's why we're gonna boot them out of here" gain votes? By going fascist-lite, you're not appeasing the fascist itch of the electorate, you're justifying it and telling people that fascism is the answer, so of course they're gonna go for the real-deal instead of the diet version you're trying to sell them.
[/quote]

Being against immigration from 3rd countries is not against EU rules. It gets a bit more difficult when you talk about refugees but generally the EU is not pro open borders outside the EU.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Friendly Humour posted:

The EU is more concerned with protecting markets and free movement of capital than protecting it's people.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

You could probably find people in India who would count Churchill as one.

He's one of the people I was thinking of. If that rear end in a top hat had won the 1945 election Britain would be nothing like it is today. For the worse of all of us.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

bronin posted:

Switzerland already does this. Don't know since when though. [regarding iodine pills]

Wow, I'd never heard of this but sure enough: 4.9 million Swiss have received these tablets within the last 2 years. Apparently we don't live within 50km of a nuclear plant, or maybe they just don't care about Swiss nationals with foreign-sounding names.

http://www.24heures.ch/suisse/distribution-tablettes-iode-retard/story/14101588

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Bedshaped posted:

The EU is more concerned with protecting markets and free movement of capital than protecting it's people.

Now now they are also very keen on peotectinng the free movement of (cheap) labour inside the EU.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The treaties do not allow for a country to be kicked out anyway. And how many countries in the EU would want to set that precedent? Greece, Spain, Portugal;Ireland and other nation that are or have been receiving signifanct Financial support from the ECB would hate for that precedent to be set. It`s not gonna happen.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Baudolino posted:

The treaties do not allow for a country to be kicked out anyway. And how many countries in the EU would want to set that precedent? Greece, Spain, Portugal;Ireland and other nation that are or have been receiving signifanct Financial support from the ECB would hate for that precedent to be set. It`s not gonna happen.

The tretaies didn't and don't allow anyone to be kicked out (though there are partial suspensions that have never been applied). Getting out though, is allowed with the Lisbon treaty, article 50

Those same countries would benefit inmensely from just printing their own currency and, some might argue, from protectionism, so maybe one of them will set it.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://next.ft.com/content/e90a080e-107b-11e6-91da-096d89bd2173?siteedition=uk#axzz47c1CQziH

quote:

Germany is to push for progress towards a European army by advocating a joint headquarters and shared military assets, according to defence plans that could ricochet into Britain’s EU referendum campaign.
Although Berlin has long paid lip-service to forming a “European defence union”, the white paper is one of the most significant for Germany in recent years and may be seized by anti-integration Brexit campaigners as a sign where the bloc is heading.
Initially scheduled to emerge shortly before the June 23 referendum vote but now probably delayed to July, the draft paper seen by the Financial Times outlines steps to gradually co-ordinate Europe’s patchwork of national militaries and embark on permanent co-operation under common structures.
In this and other areas, its tone reflects Germany’s growing clout and confidence in pursuing a foreign policy backed by elements of hard power. Initiatives range from strengthening cyberwarfare abilities to contentious proposals to relax the postwar restrictions on army operations within Germany.
“German security policy has relevance — also far beyond our country,” the paper states. “Germany is willing to join early, decisively and substantially as a driving force in international debates … to take responsibility and assume leadership”.

Kiejzar
Mar 30, 2011
The Hellenic Navy just recomissioned a warship that they not only can afford to operate, but also has a proven record of stopping invading Asian hordes:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

LemonDrizzle posted:

They acted in response to SYRIZA taking anti-austerity actions, yes. In effect that is the same for an anti-austerity party as getting elected at all. And even now you still have games being played, mostly on the part of the IMF, in spite of everything given ground on so far.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Dawncloack posted:

The tretaies didn't and don't allow anyone to be kicked out (though there are partial suspensions that have never been applied). Getting out though, is allowed with the Lisbon treaty, article 50

Those same countries would benefit inmensely from just printing their own currency and, some might argue, from protectionism, so maybe one of them will set it.

Also, suspension of membership rights is only possible in case of violation of fundamental rights, not in response to member state budgetary policies - those can at worst lead to fines being applied.
But much though Spain or Italy or the other crisis countries might benefit from having their own currency again, none of them would benefit from the costs of adopting one, most importantly, the capital flight and financial crisis that would likely result from leaving the euro.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

Being against immigration from 3rd countries is not against EU rules. It gets a bit more difficult when you talk about refugees but generally the EU is not pro open borders outside the EU.

You're a horrible person and probably a racist considering how you are basically advocating for them here and now as the only ones willing to be just as vitriolic to refugees as possible.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.publico.pt/politica/noticia/iraque-evocacoes-presidenciais-1731304?page=-1

Former President Jorge Sampaio went nuclear today, destroying Barroso's recent claims that he is an incredibly cool humble guy by reminding everyone how he tried to glue himself to Bush and look good by supporting the Iraq War when he was PM

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

KoldPT posted:

https://www.publico.pt/politica/noticia/iraque-evocacoes-presidenciais-1731304?page=-1

Former President Jorge Sampaio went nuclear today, destroying Barroso's recent claims that he is an incredibly cool humble guy by reminding everyone how he tried to glue himself to Bush and look good by supporting the Iraq War when he was PM
Is that why he looks like a Fallout ghoul in his picture?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah yes, the Iraq War, exactly what any reasonable person wants tied to their legacy.

Just look at the rousing success the result is!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tesseraction posted:

Ah yes, the Iraq War, exactly what any reasonable person wants tied to their legacy.

Just look at the rousing success the result is!

I don't think you understood the article summary. Sampaio is calling out Barroso for being an idiot who supported the Iraq war

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

blowfish posted:

I don't think you understood the article summary. Sampaio is calling out Barroso for being an idiot who supported the Iraq war

Ohhh, I took it as Sampaio bragging about supporting the Iraq War. Oops.

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010
A happy EU day to our friends in Athens and to all of my fellow Europeans.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Well, good news for once!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lagotto posted:

A happy EU day to our friends in Athens and to all of my fellow Europeans.

This morning isn't quite as bright as yesterday's in Athens!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I like how the cops aren't even remotely reacting to that fire. "You call this a protest?? Why in my day... fires ten meters high!"

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Eurovision starts tomorrow, so no protests tomorrow ☺

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Saladman posted:

I like how the cops aren't even remotely reacting to that fire. "You call this a protest?? Why in my day... fires ten meters high!"

At this point they're probably more used to molotov fires than still-living trees.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lagotto posted:

Eurovision starts tomorrow, so no protests tomorrow ☺

Ooh, ooh, no spoilers! I want to see the finale with fresh ears. I see from my ears apparently.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

Ooh, ooh, no spoilers! I want to see the finale with fresh ears. I see from my ears apparently.

God, eurovision is so bad! It represents EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH THIS CONTINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERGHGH.....!!!!!11!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*collapses to the ground*

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Are you trying to tell me you do not enjoy the European Politically Motivated Point Scoring Contest?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Despite half the songs not being very good, which is a thing, what really, really gets me is the Spanish coverage of it.

I mean, hey, we all know there's some politically motivated scoring, of course. But why does the Spanish anchorman have to go on and on and on with his stupid, petty nationalism?

Seriously, it's like all his comments are "Oh these people didn't vote for use because they prefered to vote for the country where a lot of inmigrants of the same ethnia live" and "they didn't vote for us because they didn't understand our genius". It's stupid and disgusting and it has sucked any enjoyement out of what could be a fantastic chance to get drunk and love to hate.

Though I admit I've kept well clear of it the last couple of years, who knows if they kicked that imbecile out.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dawncloack posted:

God, eurovision is so bad! It represents EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH THIS CONTINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERGHGH.....!!!!!11!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*collapses to the ground*

It is 95% non memorable shite music though, and the whole show is generally tacky with overproduced artistry that all looks the same after you have watched it a couple of times. Could use some shaking up imho, like holding it every second year or so, and put more effort into the musical content and not only the show.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What channel is Eurovision on in Spain? I happen to be here so I could actually watch it conveniently this year.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The chancellor of Austria has resigned after his party crashed and burned horribly in the presidential elections, and people in his party are calling for closer cooperation with the populist/anti-immigrant FPÖ: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/09/werner-faymann-quits-as-austrian-chancellor

quote:

The Austrian chancellor, Werner Faymann, has resigned two weeks after his Social Democratic party (SPÖ) suffered a disastrous result in a presidential election.
Faymann, chancellor since 2008, had been under pressure from some in his party over his tough asylum policy and from others for wanting to keep a ban on forming coalitions with the anti-immigration Freedom party (FPÖ), whose candidate won the first round of the presidential vote last month on an anti-Islam and Eurosceptic platform.
In a statement issued after a party meeting, Faymann announced his resignation both as chancellor and head of the SPÖ. “This country needs a chancellor who has the party’s full support,” he said.
Austria has been braced for political turmoil since rightwing populist Norbert Hofer won a landslide victory for the FPÖ in the first round of the country’s presidential elections.
Hofer defied pollsters’ predictions to beat the Green party’s Alexander Van der Bellen into second place, gaining 36% of the vote. The two candidates will go head to head in a runoff ballot on 22 May.
The minister for the chancellory, Josef Ostermayer, suggested on Saturday the party could cooperate with the FPÖ on the provincial and municipal level – where much of the political power is held in federalised Austria – but keep separate at the national level.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Is the Green candidate a bit of a watermelon or are they eco-conservative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LemonDrizzle posted:

The chancellor of Austria has resigned after his party crashed and burned horribly in the presidential elections, and people in his party are calling for closer cooperation with the populist/anti-immigrant FPÖ: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/09/werner-faymann-quits-as-austrian-chancellor

Old ghosts starting to moan again....