Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Fargin Icehole posted:

the Pontiff knights guarding the road and a room in the castle can seriously go gently caress themselves. Those fuckers should be a boss. I got waylaid by the first one in NG+ mistiming my rolls four times, just beat him though.

Do they have any sort of weakness?

Shield guys have a really long windup where they pull their sword hand up toward their shoulder with the blade towards the ground, you can whack them there and stun lock them to death. Also if you get them to trigger their ghost vomit you can sprint up and get them since the wind down on that is really long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My crescent axe is repeatedly hitting enemies without actually doing damage for some reason and it's driving me insane

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I miss my poison manslayer :smith:

Alo why the HECK cant we get the road of sacrifice hollow's log lances?

Even better question is why cant we get the axe on a chain the snakemen get

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

There's no use for more than one copy of a spell now, right? It would be kind of neat if attuning copies lowered the cast cost or something though.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Played most of my first game with a fire claymore+9. Finished it out with a heavy dark sword+10. I'm on new game plus switching between heavy dark sword and a fume ultra great sword+10. Also using Wolf Knight's Greatshield+5. Currently level 115 and ng+ is way to easy so far. Just killed Yhorm and will blow through the rest no problem if it keeps going like this.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I can't tell if it's lag or if Aldritch changes his attack pattern during co-op.

Probably lag: whirlpool appearing in one spot, 1-2 second delay, he pops up anywhere else, totally ignoring the usual pattern of corner to corner.

Not sure if lag: He casts whirlpool, but instead snakes around or slams down with his scythe at the normal point when he'd hop down his little transdimensional wormhole. It's rather abrupt and really punishes trying to get in 2-3 more hits before the port.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Salean posted:

Even better question is why cant we get the axe on a chain the snakemen get

And to think, some people say there are no DS2 callbacks.

I really wanted that anvil on a chain, damnit.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Fereydun posted:

she's zullie and waiting on alva, who died right in front of her cell and right out of view. both are ds2 callbacks because nobody can be happy nobody

I don't know if she'd meant to literally be Zullie - if they're the same person, why not use the same name?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Man everyone about PvP is gonna get tossed out the window if poise gets turned on. Thats probably why the equip weight stat is so hard to invest in? For a reason I can't quite put my finger on. Don't want havels skinny rolling with an estoc or something.

There are worse things than havel monsters if we go back to DS1 poise, like walking through attacks to backstab people. I'm honestly kinda surprised that people are complaining so much given the most popular builds by far in DS2 were 0 poise flynn builds and DS3 plays exactly the same as them.

On the upside my favourite DS2 pvp streamers are getting stuck into the game, and its refreshing to see them stomp people over and over again and never complain about poise once.

gtrmp posted:

I don't know if she'd meant to literally be Zullie - if they're the same person, why not use the same name?

It's a continuing theme in the series. The unreliability of history, things like names being changed over time, names of both civilizations and people being forgotten as the people go hollow and the cities collapse. That kinda stuff.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Despite all of that we still remember Lucatiel's name, however. :unsmith:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I'm not sure if this only happens when you wait to do any of it until after Usurping the Flames (or just every NG+ run, as this is my first) but HOLY poo poo Archdragon's Peak is so much cooler blacked out after going through it multiple times with blue skies! Definitely geeked out over Anor Londo and everything my first blind run through; Untended Graves felt like a beautiful summary for Dark Souls as a series.

e:And I just ran through the entirety of the Ancient Wyvern in about a minute with no extra kills.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 4, 2016

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Sometimes this games PvP drives me crazy.

See this guy? Spent like 10 minutes trying to find him, with a blue boy dying in the process. When I finally track him down he has a summon. Okay, so I kill his summon (well really he kills himself via gravity) so now its just him. I get him down to low health, peg him with a charm, and he...runs in a giant circle. Can't catch up to him to finish him off. He won't even try to fight, just runs until the charm wears off so he can heal. So that was a waste, but what's this? He stopped! To do what?

Summon the same exact phantom.

So now I fight both of them again, and guess what Mr. Phantom is still clumsy and falls to his death. So after killing this guy twice, I once again have the host alone. What does he do? Runs in a loving circle. Its not like I can catch him unless he does something dumb, so he can just do this forever. He keeps running until he can summon his phantom pal for the third time. This has been going on so long that another blue boy has been summoned as well.

So now its a 3v1. I dunno how long this idiocy would of gone on, because as soon as those two started trying to fight me again they rolled off the edge. Still, there was literally nothing I could do about this guy running in a giant circle to summon the same dude over and over. Its awful.

Yep, these situations are getting much more common.

As a host don't even try to fight just run or hide, and chain summon, you will always win.

It's probably the most broken aspect of pvp in the game and that IS saying something.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

BaconCopter posted:

I'm not sure if this only happens when you wait to do any of it until after Usurping the Flames (or just every NG+ run, as this is my first) but HOLY poo poo Archdragon's Peak is so much cooler blacked out after going through it multiple times with blue skies! Definitely geeked out over Anor Londo and everything my first blind run through; Untended Graves felt like a beautiful summary for Dark Souls as a series.

e:And I just ran through the entirety of the Ancient Wyvern in about a minute with no extra kills.

How do you black it out???

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

codo27 posted:

I think I win the screenshot contest

You can see it happen if you skip to about 45:30 here

That is SOO COOOL.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

codo27 posted:

I think I win the screenshot contest

You can see it happen if you skip to about 45:30 here

Straight link for future reference: https://www.twitch.tv/codo33/v/64421599?t=45m30s

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Obligatum VII posted:

Cornyx and Karla are just fine at the end of the game, as is Patches. The nun lady even fulfills her dream of becoming a firekeeper if you don't make her go crazy. Andre too, but he's basically a fundamental force, like gravity.

Maybe Yuria counts too? She's pretty happy if you go down her ending route.

Karla calls herself a child of the Abyss, and judging by how she's a witch and you fight Alva there and later find his armor set close by her cell and recall that Alva was a guy who fell in love with a witch after failing to save a saint and renouncing his knighthood, and how the only people called children of the Abyss in the Souls games (to my knowledge) are shards of Manus, she might be Alva's lover who got locked up for being a piece of Manus. However, in DS2 the witch who would fall in love with Alva after trying to kill him multiple times was named Zullie, so I dunno.

Maybe Alva just has a fetish for witches?

EDIT: Oh, anyway, my point was, if anybody is fit to survive the Age of Dark, it's a girl who is basically Dark incarnate.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

NTT posted:

How do you black it out???

I'll post a write up and some screenshots tomorrow. Sadly it will not include the Wyvern fight I shat all over (but looked really cool, super menacing and poo poo).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Gologle posted:

However, in DS2 the witch who would fall in love with Alva after trying to kill him multiple times was named Zullie, so I dunno.

"Umbral ash of Karla. With this, the shrine handmaid will prepare new items.

The spurned child of the Abyss never dies, but phases in and out of its fringes. Only, there is no one to search for her any longer"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Oh, I didn't know about that since I never killed her. Also it must be super :smith: to kill her considering her whole deal with being an outcast. Considering Alva, I guess this cinches it.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Apparently I wrecked some kid so hard he felt compelled to invite me to this charming group http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Youreabigfaggot

"Niggerthrusting"

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So I fought Nameless King just now on my Solaire build. Phase One was over in about 45 seconds so that was pretty great. The second phase took a minute or two, though he was still a cool and fun fight. I'm glad I fought him solo this time. Did the Tarkus gesture irl.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Re: Karlachat, check the descriptions of the two spells she always has by default.

From Affinity -

quote:

It appears to be an expression of envy, or perhaps love towards another, that will tenaciously pursue its target. Even if, like so many human desires, it amounts to nothing but misfortune.

Pretty fitting, to reiterate the tragic love theme of Alva's tale.

From Dark Edge -

quote:

Passed from mother to daughter, this blade was intended for both protection and as a means of taking one's own life. The young girl never swung it more than once.

Really interesting, and makes me wonder if Karla is either supposed to be the descendant of a line of witches that also included Zullie, or if we should be looking for a child (or dead child) of Karla and Alva.

Could be coincidental, but it's food for thought.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
now I'm wondering what'll happen if you talk to Karla for the first time while wearing the Alva set

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
gently caress you Nameless King. Took 2 hours to kill that rear end in a top hat.

Actually, gently caress the nameless king Dragon. That thing was way more of a pain in the rear end. I didn't really know what an "iframe" was until NK and that ended up being pretty manageable after 10+ tries and getting his pattern down.

The stupid loving dragon though...

Camera was all over the loving place, the thing literally shits out fire, and the head hitbox was way too small. Had to do that portion at least 20 times.

What weapon is best to grab from the NK soul for a STR build? The polearm or the curved sword?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Avalanche posted:

What weapon is best to grab from the NK soul for a STR build? The polearm or the curved sword?

The soul when you eat it.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I like how even the super combo the Lord of Cinder does in his second phase which juggles you around in the air hitting you like 5 times does less damage then even a glancing blow from the Nameless King.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The Curved Sword is a Dex Weapon and the Swordspear is a Dex/Faith weapon (the best one). Also there's a miracle but who the gently caress would buy that when they could own that sweet rear end halberd???

In other words, there's nothing there for a strength build.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Monomythian posted:

I like how even the super combo the Lord of Cinder does in his second phase which juggles you around in the air hitting you like 5 times does less damage then even a glancing blow from the Nameless King.

Yea I fought them back to back and it was hilarious how much less damage cinder did.

Another question: with anri sword, should I be buffing it on top of carthas? I'm unclear if they stack or overwrite. If they overwrite I've just wasted a ton of points in faith

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fargin Icehole posted:

That sure was a weird way to join the mound makers. I totally missed it considering I gutted that one specific monster after scaling those rooftops. How the gently caress was I supposed to know it would've led to the mad phantom party?

Uh, because you're crazy?

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

1) Archdragon Peak is a good place to invade and got tongues or whatever at level 90.

2) If I complete the game and don't press NG+ straight away, can I go NG+ whenever I want?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Yeah. You can move to NG+ by sitting at the Firelink bonfire and then picking the new option that appears.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Dunno what you guys were moaning about, Archdragon Peak bosses are easy as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIInkKVDVg0

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
As a pyromancer, is it worth it to infuse Corvian Scythe with Chaos for A/A scaling? I heard split damage is pretty rough defence wise and you lose the ability to buff your weapon.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Kaldaris posted:

Hi Dark Spirit. I see you have invaded me. I too, like invading. I understand you have a hard time getting anything done with all the gank trains being run on you. Here, why don't I sit down so you can fight my phantom one on one, and if you win, you can fight me! I'll be honorobru samurai-sa-- Oh. Oh you're hitting me in the middle of my sitting gesture/running deep into the level/are a laggy mannequin piece of poo poo. I guess you're not going to make this quick and easy.

I run way of the blue and just sit there so invaders get forked tongues

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Man the Hollowslayer GS must have some serious scaling issues later on for you guys to be so down about it but at +6 this thing completely shreds in PVP. I use a Dragonslayer Spear in my first slot and if the fight isn't going well, switching to the greatsword and playing off his disorientation will take his health down to 0 like nothing. The moveset combos like crazy and the damage seems great on my DEX leaning quality build.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Man the Hollowslayer GS must have some serious scaling issues later on for you guys to be so down about it but at +6 this thing completely shreds in PVP. I use a Dragonslayer Spear in my first slot and if the fight isn't going well, switching to the greatsword and playing off his disorientation will take his health down to 0 like nothing. The moveset combos like crazy and the damage seems great on my DEX leaning quality build.

Hollowslayer GS might be extra good in PVP, cause it says it does extra damage vs hollows. Whether that counts against players is yet to be studied.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Looking up tests says it does gently caress all to players.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

HGH posted:

Looking up tests says it does gently caress all to players.

RIP. It's still a decent sword, just not top-tier.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

It's a good greatsword I don't know what that other guy was talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Are there any other weapons with the swishy flourishy 2H moveset besides the Drakeblood Greatsword?