Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
:siren: A wild BOBBIE appears! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

They hinted at this on Twitter last week and said they got their first choice, so I'm sold.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

She's not big and bulky like I was imagining, but I guess that's pretty hard to find in an actress in addition to all the other characteristics they were listing off, and I've been pretty satisfied with their choices so far, so I'm not worried.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Giant Samoan lady? We truly live in the best of all possible worlds.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Tortolia posted:

They hinted at this on Twitter last week and said they got their first choice, so I'm sold.

Yea, it sounds like they seriously lucked out in filling the part the way they wanted. Tall, Pacific Islander, comfortable in physical roles, wide acting range, etc.

My sole gripe (and it's not really a gripe) is my head-Bobbie isn't conventionally attractive (basically Chiyoko from Akira) and this actress is (to my straight dude eyes) pretty cute. But if she can pull off the required physicality/intimidation factor (and the authors straight up say she can) it's not gonna matter one bit.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot the best part, her frickin' first name is Frankie. Bobbie, played by Frankie? It's just too good.

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 14, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

bitprophet posted:

Yea, it sounds like they seriously lucked out in filling the part the way they wanted. Tall, Pacific Islander, comfortable in physical roles, wide acting range, etc.

My sole gripe (and it's not really a gripe) is my head-Bobbie isn't conventionally attractive (basically Chiyoko from Akira) and this actress is (to my straight dude eyes) pretty cute. But if she can pull off the required physicality/intimidation factor (and the authors straight up say she can) it's not gonna matter one bit.

I'm pretty sure the books say Bobbie is cute, she's just really physically intimidating and boisterous because she had like half a dozen brothers or whatever.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
6 feet is still going to effectively make her as tall or taller than everyone else in the main cast, so yeah, about as close as you realistically are going to get.

Plus, you know, six feet of Samoan lady in articulated power armor is gonna be a sight to see.

Seems like good casting to me!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm pretty excited for this cast, Bobbie is one of my favorite characters.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

There's still time to hold her down and feed her sandwiches before filming starts, I assume.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
She looks like a great choice!

She can totally bulk up and get some platforms.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
This is the best possible news, I'm so excited! Anyone here watch her previous role on Shortland Street and have any opinions?

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Bobbie is actually described as being really hot, like a giant beach bunny.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
What's the over/under on how many times we hear "hard copy on that!" ?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
More on Bobbie's casting: http://www.danielabraham.com/2016/04/14/meet-bobbie-draper/

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Miracles really do happen, you guys. :shobon:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That is amazing casting, and amazing fortune. Good for them.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Milky Moor posted:

I'm pretty sure the books say Bobbie is cute, she's just really physically intimidating and boisterous because she had like half a dozen brothers or whatever.

pugnax posted:

Bobbie is actually described as being really hot, like a giant beach bunny.

Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for that when I do my planned series reread this year :) (Probably prior to the apparently planned November release of Babylon's Ashes?)

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Man, I've just taken it for granted that I get a new expanse book every June! I guess it makes sense that they've got a full plate but :smith:.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just discovered this show, it's pretty good. Me and my wife instantly became addicted and watched all 10 in a few days. How much does it differ from the books?
It's nice to see some pretty realistic scify. My only gripe is how poor space is. There shouldn't really be resource shortages of any sort. Mars should be a useless money-pit of poor barely surviving idiots and space just swimming in nearly limitless asteroid mining wealth while everyone lives in huge comfortable O'Neil cylinders with healthy gravity. Also there's no stealth in space blah blah.

Also miller's hat is really bad and I'm glad he got rid of it.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 16, 2016

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Baronjutter posted:

I just discovered this show, it's pretty good. Me and my wife instantly became addicted and watched all 10 in a few days. How much does it differ from the books?
It's nice to see some pretty realistic scify. My only gripe is how poor space is. There shouldn't really be resource shortages of any sort. Mars should be a useless money-pit of poor barely surviving idiots and space just swimming in nearly limitless asteroid mining wealth while everyone lives in huge comfortable O'Neil cylinders with healthy gravity. Also there's no stealth in space blah blah.

Also miller's hat is really bad and I'm glad he got rid of it.

Asteroid mining wealth won't get you good closed ecosystems, healthy babies, or freedom from pre-established planetary governments who want to control your access to resources in order to prevent exactly the scenario you're describing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, the asteroid mining wealth is controlled by well-dwellers with battleships and power armor.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Baronjutter posted:

The main storyline with Holden and company, and the other main storyline with Miller are both pretty close. A few things added or cut out but the main beats are still on target. The first season ends about 2/3 of the way through book one or so.

What's primarily different is the addition of stuff in the first season that were originally from later books or the short stories. For instance in the books Avrasala doesn't show up until book two. That bit with Fred Johnson remembering blowing up the striking workers? Self-contained short story. Hell, there are things they lay out in the first season that, in the books, won't pay off until book three or book five! In some respects its better laid out than the novels because they know what the next four books are going to contain, they can foreshadow things well in advance in a way that the books really don't.

Also, I find the James Holden on the TV show to be less annoying than his novel counterpart, who I find the most annoying character in the series. By comparison the TV version is only less interesting than everyone else rather than full on aggravating, which really is an improvement!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Yeah, the real difference between the books and the TV show so far is that the TV series is drawing forwards some information we only get in later novels and, honestly, it's much better for it.

The episode where they almost get boarded and the character played by Adam Jensen are entirely new, too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, the real difference between the books and the TV show so far is that the TV series is drawing forwards some information we only get in later novels and, honestly, it's much better for it.

The episode where they almost get boarded and the character played by Adam Jensen are entirely new, too.

yeah I think it's a good example of making changes required for the different medium.

For example moving all the character development and definition further up in the series.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Milky Moor posted:

:aaa: That's why he sounded so familiar!

I'm binging this myself right now, I've read books 1-2 and 5 so it's actually really cool to watch them better foreshadow and bring forward things that were not in book 1. Exactly the sort of thing you should do with an adaptation.

Just finished episode 8, the Blue Falcon shoot-out was a great textbook example of building tension. I knew what would happen and was still on the edge of my seat.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Ashur from Spartacus has been cast as Coyter and will appear in at least 8 episodes next season

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-expanse-season-2-cast-nick-tarabay-1201764435/

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Ashur from Spartacus has been cast as Coyter and will appear in at least 8 episodes next season

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-expanse-season-2-cast-nick-tarabay-1201764435/

Is Coyter a bottom-feeding opportunist rear end in a top hat character?

Because that guy was amazing as Ashur.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Oh hey, that guy played Captain Boomerang on one of the DCTV shows.

Anyway, is Coyer from the books? I don't remember the character and a quick googling of "coyter expanse" and "coyter expanse wiki" didn't bring anything up.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
He's not a book character, as far as I can recall, but there is a minor character that might be a very loose basis for him: the guy who tails Holden and company for a while on Ganymede. I guess they could scale that up to something more substantial.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

He's not a book character, as far as I can recall, but there is a minor character that might be a very loose basis for him: the guy who tails Holden and company for a while on Ganymede. I guess they could scale that up to something more substantial.

Nah, he's in there. Very minor part in the book though.

He's the other bodygard with Avasarala on Mao's ship. All he really does is hit on Bobbie and help them take the ship when it becomes apparent it's a kidnapping

Oh, the name is misspelled in that article, it's Cotyar in the book at least. I guess it could be a completely different character with an incredibly similar name though.

kerwyn fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 3, 2016

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

kerwyn posted:

Oh, the name is misspelled in that article, it's Cotyar in the book at least.

Hah, googled "expanse cotyar" and found what appears to be an audition tape:

https://vimeo.com/161214348

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ohhh, okay. The description in that article doesn't really fit, but he's at least slightly more of a character than the one I mentioned.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I love Ashur/Nick but I always feel like after seeing what he could do in Spartacus he has been underutilized everywhere else.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Unless they're pulling him into the end of book 1 somehow this basically confirms they are starting Caliban's War in episode 5 or 6. Cool.

Never saw Spartacus but reaction to this seems favorable. Good actor?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
gently caress yes

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Even after looking his character synopsis up, I still can't remember the character. Great actor, though.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
he is the weak rear end slave who uses his brain to get ahead in life and rape someone I think

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
He's a really minor character in the books, and the fact that he's appearing in so many episodes is throwing me off. I can't think of another character/characters they could merge him with to end up with that much screen time. Whatever they're doing with him, I think most of it's got to be totally new. With the books' authors so involved in the show, though, it's easier to see it as a sort of do-over and be more optimistic about it.

Baloogan posted:

he is the weak rear end slave who uses his brain to get ahead in life and rape someone I think

Took me a minute to realize you were talking about his Spartacus character (I assume).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
oh poo poo yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
His summary I found was like "Avasarala's head of security detail" or something similar, but the only guy I could think of who came close was the lunatic security dude on slug planet. He doesn't seem big and intimidating enough to pull of that guy, although maybe with a poorly-shaven head and some power armor he'd be intimidating. Whatever role he's in I'm sure he'll kick rear end in it though.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 4, 2016

• Locked thread