Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Seafood posted:

An integral part of Chrollo's strategy is likely paralyzing Hisoka with information. He can control people, control puppets, make copies, swap appearances, plus untold other things he hasn't bothered to explain (unless, indeed, that is a new condition he has to deal with). Has he used both antennae? Is he stamping copies? Have all the sun/moon bombs gone off? Would any sun symbol coming into contact with any other moon symbol trigger an explosion? Chrollo could, hypothetically, give some puppets the order to "Break" him while others are ordered to touch their symbols together.

Chrollo knows Hisoka's smart, strong, and adaptable, so he's keeping Hisoka on his toes for as long as possible. Hisoka's at his most dangerous when he appears bored because it usually means he's figured you out.

It has to be a condition. His new two-timing capabilities are way too overpowered without it.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Say Nothing posted:

Is there an anime where people don't stop and explain what they're doing in the middle of a fight?
One Punch Man maybe?

Noragami is the closest I can think of with magical powers and fights. Though the fights there are really just based in mundane weapons, supernatural origins aside.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Is there an anime where people don't stop and explain what they're doing in the middle of a fight?
One Punch Man maybe?

LoGH?

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

They stop time and have some other guy explain what they're doing aka the krillin cut
Unless it's early in the series, in which case the other guy explains what going to happen and it cuts to them doing the thing. :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Calling it now - the lion guy didn't die, he actually used the faceswap power and traded places with chrollo

Wait, now you mention it... maybe this fight will end with Hisoka believing he won but the real Chrollo (with another face) escapes with the rest of public.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it's going to end with them shaking hands and acknowledging they're both great warriors.

And then they beat up kurapika.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Machi knew that texture surprise exists, but I kind of doubt that she knows all it is capable of. I think this was explained during the scene with the falsified prophecy? I'll look it up later. Heck, we probably don't know all it can do either.

For bungee gum, just knowing how it works isn't enough to trivialize it. Hisoka can use misdirection to apply it or he can just touch someone. I think he can also transfer it if someone touches something it is attached to. Blocking doesn't work, so his opponents have to dodge everything. Hisoka loves to use deception, but he was never completely dependent on it.

From what I remember, most of the spider doesn't know about texture surprise, only Machi knew. BUT, Hisoka implied Machi believes she knows texture surprise but in truth Hisoka has hidden from her the real capabilities. She doesn't know how flexible is the ability, allowing to imitate much more textures, nor she knows how detailed can be, allowing to for example "write" on top of a screen or a piece of paper making a perfect forgery document.

About bungee gum, not only he can use it touching someone, he can "throw" a sticky gum to someone, a bit like an Emission user. Remember he did it with Gon in their fight, there was a moment where he was talking and pointed to him, in that moment he sticked his nen to Gon's cheek, because Gon wasn't using constant gyo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

From what I remember, most of the spider doesn't know about texture surprise, only Machi knew. BUT, Hisoka implied Machi believes she knows texture surprise but in truth Hisoka has hidden from her the real capabilities. She doesn't know how flexible is the ability, allowing to imitate much more textures, nor she knows how detailed can be, allowing to for example "write" on top of a screen or a piece of paper making a perfect forgery document.

About bungee gum, not only he can use it touching someone, he can "throw" a sticky gum to someone, a bit like an Emission user. Remember he did it with Gon in their fight, there was a moment where he was talking and pointed to him, in that moment he sticked his nen to Gon's cheek, because Gon wasn't using constant gyo.

He only ever seems to do that when his opponent is distracted. Since he always hides that attack with in or deception I'm guessing it would be easily dodged if someone saw it coming.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
:spergin: He's just casually flicking his goopy Nen on your face which is well within the realm of Manipulation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Stretching out a tendril of nen is clearly transmutation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like the explanations this chapter because they make sense. Chrollo's entire plan depends on Hisoka having to worry about ten different things at once and that only works if you fully explain the power. Hisoka is making decisions based off the information he was given which he wouldn't be doing if Chrollo didn't explain and that might actually work against him because he'll refrain from killing blows he would have gone for otherwise because he isn't sure.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Eej posted:

:spergin: He's just casually flicking his goopy Nen on your face which is well within the realm of Manipulation.

Oh no, we're not starting this poo poo again.

trucutru posted:

It has to be a condition. His new two-timing capabilities are way too overpowered without it.

This is my take as well. The conditions for such a powerful ability require him to explain it if he uses the bookmark, much like Genthurus Countdown requires the explanation to use. Or he's playing a similar game that Hisoka normally plays where he's feeding him info to keep him focused on one thing while he does something else entirely.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 4, 2016

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

He only ever seems to do that when his opponent is distracted. Since he always hides that attack with in or deception I'm guessing it would be easily dodged if someone saw it coming.

Yeah, it worked with Gon because he was an amateur that didn't use gyo. But still, the possibility of stretching his aura in several threads/tendrils/whatever exists, I just wanted to point out that he has more options that getting close to his targets or throwing a real life object.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even if someone is prepared he can still hide his aura to some extent, just like Kurapika can with his chains. Seeing aura that is masked with in is kind of difficult and requires concentration. That is why his distractions work at all.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Also you don't want to put your nen only on your eyes vs hisoka. He can launch stuff, throw stuff at you move you into traps and so on. He's really tricky

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Wild Horses posted:

Also you don't want to put your nen only on your eyes vs hisoka. He can launch stuff, throw stuff at you move you into traps and so on. He's really tricky

Gyo isn't Ken, and if you don't have the skill for that kind of fast aura shifting skill, you're gonna have a bad day against Hisoka anyways.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Gyo isn't Ken, and if you don't have the skill for that kind of fast aura shifting skill, you're gonna have a bad day against Hisoka anyways.

ken is actually safer than gyo

that is, gyo is just moving your aura around your body. when you put it in your eyes you can see aura better

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 4, 2016

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

it's implied that, although they were both young and extreme novices in nen, both killua and gon had to strain a lot to catch hisoka's hidden nen. What i'm saying is that you can't just pop real quick to have a look where he keeps his gum, because you'll already be stuck in it. Nor can you walk around with gyo on your eyes in a fight with him.

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 4, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was re-reading the election/Alluka arc and noticed that when it shows the Zoldyck family interconnection diagram it says that Kalluto "envies" Alluka. I wonder why that is? Maybe because Killua is close to her/him?

edit: Ah, according to the image on the page in chapter 326 where Hisoka says "The more toys you have...the more fun you have, no?" and it shows a bunch of characters, it seems like Hisoka is randomly interested in Satotz and Hanzo in addition to the Zodiacs, Phantom Troupe, Zoldycks, and Gon/Kirapuka/Leorio.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 4, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I was re-reading the election/Alluka arc and noticed that when it shows the Zoldyck family interconnection diagram it says that Kalluto "envies" Alluka. I wonder why that is? Maybe because Killua is close to her/him?

The :smith: explanation is that Alluka doesn't have to kill people. (Nanika kills plenty of people, of course.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Ah, according to the image on the page in chapter 326 where Hisoka says "The more toys you have...the more fun you have, no?" and it shows a bunch of characters, it seems like Hisoka is randomly interested in Satotz and Hanzo in addition to the Zodiacs, Phantom Troupe, Zoldycks, and Gon/Kirapuka/Leorio.

He's interested in strong people. Satotz and Hanzo were among the strongest at the exam. It makes sense.

As for Kalluto, yeah, Killua likes Alluka (who is a she) and Kalluto is jealous. Kalluto also joined the Phantom Troupe to try to get Killua back, after all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

He's interested in strong people. Satotz and Hanzo were among the strongest at the exam. It makes sense.

As for Kalluto, yeah, Killua likes Alluka (who is a she) and Kalluto is jealous. Kalluto also joined the Phantom Troupe to try to get Killua back, after all.

Satotz was just one of the examiners, though? Like, what makes him different from every other random hunter who proctors the exams? I understand Hanzo, since he was also a very promising "seed", so to speak, but Satotz is probably close to his peak strength (or was in the past).

Regarding Alluka, I said he/she just because I think I remember Killua's family for some reason referring to Alluka as a male (while Killua refers to her as a female).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ytlaya posted:

Satotz was just one of the examiners, though? Like, what makes him different from every other random hunter who proctors the exams? I understand Hanzo, since he was also a very promising "seed", so to speak, but Satotz is probably close to his peak strength (or was in the past).

Regarding Alluka, I said he/she just because I think I remember Killua's family for some reason referring to Alluka as a male (while Killua refers to her as a female).

I think they referred to her as an object. Like "it" and "that thing" most often. But I could be remembering wrong. In either case, it was to show that Killua was the only one who saw her as a person and not a monster, not to indicate any actual ambiguity.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
No, the Zoldycks do refer to Alluka using male pronouns, except for Killua, who uses female ones. That's correct.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

He blocked an attack from Hisoka. None of the other examiners did anything special.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

No, the Zoldycks do refer to Alluka using male pronouns, except for Killua, who uses female ones. That's correct.

To be exact. Silva and Kyoko refer to Alluka as "that thing" and "it".

Illumi and Milluki call Alluka use male pronouns, Killua uses female ones.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i hope hisoka and chrollo both die because they are superfluous at this point

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i hope fun and entertainment die because they are just superfluous at this point beep boop im a robot

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i hope they get past their differences and repair their friendship

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

i hope they get past their differences and have hot sex

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Chrollo is going to learn that something else has the properties of both rubber AND gum

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

theyre both going to be killed by a random audience member

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TWIST FIST posted:

theyre both going to be killed by a random audience member

toguro younger decided to watch the fight.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

That doesn't mean that Satotz isn't strong. Hisoka was interested in the Zodiacs too, after all. And, you know, Chrollo. Just because Satotz may be at his peak doesn't mean that he wouldn't be entertaining, particularly since Hisoka's seen nothing of what he can actually do so there's still some surprises there.

As for Alluka, the way the non-Killua family members refer to her is meant to be dehumanizing and uncaring. Besides the aforementioned treating her as a thing that some do, it's all but explicitly stated that Alluka is trans. Hence the Zoldycks who don't dehumanize her completely referring to her as male, and external, unfamiliar sources referring to "the Zoldyck sons" or whatever in a few places, while Killua, who actually cares about her and respects her as a person rather than seeing her as a thing to be exploited/locked away/destroyed, uses "she" and such.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Alluka thing always struck me as really interesting if only because it's coming out of Japan which is not well known for tolerance of this stuff aside from as a fetish. Props to Togashi for that.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Chrollo is going to learn that something else has the properties of both rubber AND gum

lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hisoka is a murdersexual. As far as he is concerned, they are already having sex right now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

The Alluka thing always struck me as really interesting if only because it's coming out of Japan which is not well known for tolerance of this stuff aside from as a fetish. Props to Togashi for that.

Yeah. I actually wondered if I was interpreting it right for a while because of the usual way those things are handled, in and outside of Japan, but there's really no other way to look at it. "The Zoldyck sons" are a known, established thing and all the family members who don't know and care about Alluka use masculine (if not completely dehumanizing) terms when referring to her, but the brother who actually knows and cares about her uses feminine ones. There's really no other way to interpret it that isn't completely ridiculous, and given the sides involved it's also pretty clear that Togashi intends for the audience to be on Killua and Alluka's side, not the rest of the family's.

Hisoka is a murdersexual. As far as he is concerned, they are already having sex right now.

I will be surprised if we don't get at least one bonerflash out of Hisoka before this fight is over.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

what will be more blinding

the poo poo ton of Sun and Moon seals Hisoka uses bungee gum to pull together into the biggest loving Chrollo killing explosion ever

or Hisoka's boner while this happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

external, unfamiliar sources referring to "the Zoldyck sons" or whatever in a few places,

To be fair, nobody outside the zoldycks knows alluka exists.