Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My only problem with tortoise is the repo browser is exceptionally slow when I'm looking at a bigass repo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Valeyard posted:

when I'm looking at a bigass repo

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
if you like tortoise svn then you probably also like toad for oracle

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

imho gmail is best version control

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
tfw the startup you used to work at updates their website indicating some kind of pivot away from the product you were responsible for.

my suspicion is that after i left they shut down the rack i deployed to and moved offices, and were never able to bring things back online. i'm not even sure i'd be able to do it myself. this is truly the thread for me.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

tortoise is the only approved client. we're not allowed to install software that's not on the approved list.

i guess you should just reimplement git and git-svn in mumps so that you don't have to install any third-party software

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

is avro (the serialization format) good or bad

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Progressive JPEG posted:

no experience but i thought it was kinda interesting to read in the bigquery notes that they are accepting that as a format to stream things in. protobuf isn't available (perhaps at least to the public), but avro is.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

it's fine, but i think in many cases you'd either pick something like protobufs/thrift for rpc or parquet for ~*big data*~ storage. i think if you could come up with reasons why avro is better than the alternative then you wouldn't be awful for picking it.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I'm getting goon recs for memcache. Guy at work wondered why not use the asp cache.

Idgi

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FamDav posted:

it's fine, but i think in many cases you'd either pick something like protobufs/thrift for rpc or parquet for ~*big data*~ storage. i think if you could come up with reasons why avro is better than the alternative then you wouldn't be awful for picking it.

yeah protobuf is typically my go-to by default but a coworker pointed out avro

thift isnt looking promising in comparison given that fellow fb spinoff project cassandra is dropping it

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

FamDav posted:

protobuf

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Question for the bit janitors in this thread: what's the best way to do type punning in C? I know that this:

code:
uint64_t i = 123456;
double d = *(double *)(&i);
is undefined behavior, because it violates the strict aliasing rule. The other solutions that I've seen are

code:
union u {
	uint64_t ui;
	double ud;
} x;
x.ui = 123456;
double d = x.ud;
and

code:
uint64_t i = 123456;
double d;
memcpy(&d, &i, sizeof(d));
Is there any reason to prefer one over the other? And is type punning through a union actually defined behavior? I've found conflicting information on that.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i thought toad was pretty bad. then i installed toad for oracle for mac.

(happily using intellij's built in database tools now)

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

tfw the startup you used to work at updates their website indicating some kind of pivot away from the product you were responsible for.

my suspicion is that after i left they shut down the rack i deployed to and moved offices, and were never able to bring things back online. i'm not even sure i'd be able to do it myself. this is truly the thread for me.

no contact asking you to contract to bring it back / document? also racks go in datacentres not offices :?:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i have been slowly untangling a huge mess of php - logic mixed with html, not concept of views or routes or anything. 'echo' ing html elements in between database calls. storing html in php serialized strings in the DB. direct includes based on apache rewrite rules. it's weirdly pleasurable but I bet I am writing huge swathes of new bugs. what is it about php that attracts this style of madness

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

iirc union layout is compiler dependent

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

my stepdads beer posted:

i have been slowly untangling a huge mess of php - logic mixed with html, not concept of views or routes or anything. 'echo' ing html elements in between database calls. storing html in php serialized strings in the DB. direct includes based on apache rewrite rules. it's weirdly pleasurable but I bet I am writing huge swathes of new bugs. what is it about php that attracts this style of madness

this is practically my next project. pages and pages of html/php without proper indentation or any comments at all. lots of the pages also have copy pasted some common code instead of you know, creating a utils.php they can import.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

St Evan Echoes posted:

the art of unit testing is p good, i flicked through the kent beck one as well but it seemed less good

i'll look into it, thanks

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Condiv posted:

this is practically my next project. pages and pages of html/php without proper indentation or any comments at all. lots of the pages also have copy pasted some common code instead of you know, creating a utils.php they can import.

omg the indendation. i often wonder how did the previous devs not even bother to hit ctrl-p-k or whatever to just indent the code automatically
wait they were all probably using nano or ed something :(

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

my stepdads beer posted:

omg the indendation. i often wonder how did the previous devs not even bother to hit ctrl-p-k or whatever to just indent the code automatically
wait they were all probably using nano or ed something :(

oh yeah, there's sql query strings in there too, with just raw interpolation used so the website is a giant pile of sql injection vulnerabilities :cry:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

so, this piece of "software", i.e. pos, with dev budget of $50m, did break in early may because developers coded in a 31 day long april

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bloody posted:

iirc union layout is compiler dependent

a union is required to be exactly as large in bits as the largest element, but there is no requirement about how it places smaller elements within the union iirc. in general unless you're doing something very specific where you need a uint8 to be in the back half of a uint16 or something weird, unions are your best bet for weird bit packing stuff. however this:

VikingofRock posted:

code:
union u {
	uint64_t ui;
	double ud;
} x;
x.ui = 123456;
double d = x.ud;

is also undefined behavior. memcpy the bits if you really need to look at the float as an int or w/e

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

my stepdads beer posted:

no contact asking you to contract to bring it back / document? also racks go in datacentres not offices :?:

imagine a 'cloud provider' startup, without real funding, operating from a half rack of ebayed servers sitting in a brooklyn office. now imagine the software running on those servers is all written in C by a bunch of fresh grads who forgot everything they ever learned about testing, and basically just does bespoke string parsing for bespoke network protocols and calls popen() on trash open source command line tools. all running underneath a year+ out-of-date version of openstack that I personally hacked to poo poo.

I documented what I could before I left (even a color coded map of how to hook everything up to the switch), and they only texted me a couple times after I left. did my best (which was objectively terrible).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

trying to wangle a database when you're not sure if the data diagram is correct, you're sure it isn't complete, and you don't really know how SQL joins or specifically inner joins work is uh

fun

also i'm not sure if i have direct access to the backend or not, just a query builder, and i'm not sure even if having access to the backend helps because i can only hit stuff that comes out of the query builder with the API i need to use

:toot:

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 4, 2016

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

trying to wangle a database when you're not sure if the data diagram is correct, you're sure it isn't complete, and you don't really know how SQL joins or specifically inner joins work is uh

fun

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

kalstrams posted:

imho gmail is best version control

I'd take this over loving TFS.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

kalstrams posted:

so, this piece of "software", i.e. pos, with dev budget of $50m, did break in early may because developers coded in a 31 day long april

don't roll your own:
  • crypto
  • calendar handling
  • timezone handling

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

don't roll your own:
  • crypto
  • calendar handling
  • timezone handling
well you would think that giant dev team with literal millions in budget would be able to write a calendar handler :psyduck:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or at least find a library to do it for them

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Plorkyeran posted:

i guess you should just reimplement git and git-svn in mumps so that you don't have to install any third-party software

is the specification for git open-sores? we're not allowed to implement open-sores stuff lest we somehow accidentally open sores parts of our codebase. otherwise, that sounds like a fun thing to do when im bored and have some downtime.

my big problem with tortoise is just that it tries to do some "helpful" things on its own which occasionally lead to it throwing away chunks of files without telling you. if it just immediately threw all conflicts to a diff utility and let you resolve it, i'd be fine, but it doesn't do that even when you set it to do that.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
back when all i had was a shell
code:
foreach file (`ls`)
if(`diff $file ../otherdir/ | wc -l` > 0) tkdiff $file ../otherdir/
:v:

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Notorious QIG posted:

a union is required to be exactly as large in bits as the largest element, but there is no requirement about how it places smaller elements within the union iirc. in general unless you're doing something very specific where you need a uint8 to be in the back half of a uint16 or something weird, unions are your best bet for weird bit packing stuff. however this:

is also undefined behavior. memcpy the bits if you really need to look at the float as an int or w/e

correct. the compiler should optimize it into what you want anyways: http://blog.regehr.org/archives/959

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm trying to use a function and crib some notes off of an existing program... but the program heavily uses gotos for program flow/control

a picture of me --> :supaburn:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

is the specification for git open-sores? we're not allowed to implement open-sores stuff lest we somehow accidentally open sores parts of our codebase. otherwise, that sounds like a fun thing to do when im bored and have some downtime.

i guess the specs are gplv2 since they're in the source repo and don't have a distinct license attached

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

yippee cahier posted:

correct. the compiler should optimize it into what you want anyways: http://blog.regehr.org/archives/959

honestly unless you're doing something with an embedded system where you really need to make every bit count you probably shouldn't be using unions

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Toad is terrible, sql developer is pretty ok but also hangs and does when doing right click -> counts

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

so i modified a web service, but now i'm getting some json parsing error after the ajax request. how do i look at the raw text getting returned?

e: the javascripting don't stop. i had never even heard of json or ajax before this.

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I just spent a little over a man-hour (20 mins with 2 other coworkers) due to the fact that I was looking at the wrong unit test. It kept failing and I kept modifying the wrong function so of course the test results didn't change. Christ.

• Locked thread