Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

TheOneOutside posted:

God I love an election cycle that essentially ends with Scott loving Walker looking smarter than 95% of the republican field because he bowed out early. Motherfucker probably has his PAC sitting on that warchest for the next election cycle.

I think he was the only actual GOP politician that Trump didn't get a chance to loving clown.

Walker ended his campaign in debt, staring into the middle distance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

Since the subject of jobs in rural areas ins pretty important, here's a small Nebraska town rejecting a packing plant because Muslim Somalis might work there:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_29839260/tiny-nebraska-town-says-no-1-100-jobs

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/RedState/status/727856561029156864

Open the blood gates.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Armyman25 posted:

Since the subject of jobs in rural areas ins pretty important, here's a small Nebraska town rejecting a packing plant because Muslim Somalis might work there:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_29839260/tiny-nebraska-town-says-no-1-100-jobs

poo poo like this is why a lot of Blue Dogs are dying off. You can't hold the position that labor is great, except until minorities get any of it as easily anymore. These people are going to go Republican because loving over non-whites and keeping their societies insular is much more important to them than helping themselves.

This is great.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 4, 2016

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

To quote Americas second favorite public spectacle (after Donald J. Trump): all alone/ watch them run/ they will tear each other into pieces/ Jesus Christ this will be fun

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I hope Trump gets to give more people the Reek treatment. I want to see all the GOP stars broken like Christie. Though I'll take broken like liddle Marco.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

:kheldragar:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

DemeaninDemon posted:

Hilldogg could rebuff the austerity bullshit he shills well by simply pointing to various states turned to poo poo like Kansas in any other case.

Hahahaha you think the American electorate is capable of even the smallest leap of logic? If an economic downturn happens between 2017 and 2020 it will 100% be blamed on Obama/Clinton/liberals and Hillary will be a one term President.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

God willing those idiots will continue to stall and it is the double whammy in November.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Unzip and Attack posted:

Hahahaha you think the American electorate is capable of even the smallest leap of logic? If an economic downturn happens between 2017 and 2020 it will 100% be blamed on Obama/Clinton/liberals and Hillary will be a one term President.

Who needs logic when you make your opponent look like an rear end for a few news cycles? It's not about facts or convincing arguments. It's about making whatever shill the Kochs toss up there trip over themselves trying to hand wave away their poo poo economic record.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

God willing those idiots will continue to stall and it is the double whammy in November.

:pray: I want to see the looks on their faces when Hillary nominates and the Senate confirms the bones of Eleanor Roosevelt/their living equivalent to the Supreme Court

Shbobdb posted:

I hope Trump gets to give more people the Reek treatment. I want to see all the GOP stars broken like Christie. Though I'll take broken like liddle Marco.

Fingers crossed that the VP pick will be some promising establishment fool who's managed to stay out of the way until now but can't resist the spotlight :allears:

EDIT: but it's probably just going to be Chris Christie :sigh:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Oh man I missed this. In a tremendous victory for the GOP, an interesting protestor showed up at a Clinton event this week:

Former Massey Energy CEO Don Blankenship.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Combed Thunderclap posted:

:pray: I want to see the looks on their faces when Hillary nominates and the Senate confirms the bones of Eleanor Roosevelt/their living equivalent to the Supreme Court

Fingers crossed that the VP pick will be some promising establishment fool who's managed to stay out of the way until now but can't resist the spotlight :allears:

EDIT: but it's probably just going to be Chris Christie :sigh:

Mary Fallin has said she's open to being considered.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I don't think RBG can be re-nominated, since she's currently a justice.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So one of my previous annoying as poo poo colleagues posted about how working class whites are flocking to Bernie and Trump because both parties have largely abandoned them. And while I do know the very strong history of how many white working class people don't mind making GBS threads on minorities if it makes their lives the least bit better, I am sure that it goes deeper than that.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Any further news on the Republican schism? Is the brokered convention now useless for them?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Radish posted:

poo poo like this is why a lot of Blue Dogs are dying off. You can't hold the position that labor is great, except until minorities get any of it as easily anymore. These people are going to go Republican because loving over non-whites and keeping their societies insular is much more important to them than helping themselves.

I can add a little more insight as someone who lives in Nebraska and has seen the type of opposition to packing plants and manufacturing facilities they put up out in the sticks.

Yeah, it's 100% racism. While a lot of the people around here have gotten over most of their problems with Hispanics (well, pre-trump they did, though little shitheaps here and there tried forcing landlords to police immigration status, which they don't want to loving do since it's very good money to rent to immigrants - they pay in cash due to being un/under banked and typically will pay rent before anything else because of a lack of local family) the Somali/generally North/East African diaspora as of late has really bolstered the ranks of the indoor jobs previously dominated by Hispanic workers.

Now Hispanic immigrants are "the good ones" due to predominant Christian religiousness and the African immigrants are the dirty outsiders because Islam. Which sucks because there's been a huge boost in really good food joints, artists, and generally really cool and good people from that immigrant community and this racist/religious Inquisition poo poo is scaring the hell out of some really great folks.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

blackguy32 posted:

So one of my previous annoying as poo poo colleagues posted about how working class whites are flocking to Bernie and Trump because both parties have largely abandoned them. And while I do know the very strong history of how many white working class people don't mind making GBS threads on minorities if it makes their lives the least bit better, I am sure that it goes deeper than that.

What exactly would you like to learn about working class whites, that fascinating sub-genus that I have read about in The Economist?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Grouchio posted:

Any further news on the Republican schism? Is the brokered convention now useless for them?

It is dead.

Also if the Republicans cave on Garland, it means they know they're going to lose both the WH and the Senate.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grouchio posted:

Unless Trump has a dramatic collapse or the GOP radically changes the nomination rules, there won't be a brokered convention now. Trump will walk in with enough pledged delegates to walk away with the nom in one round of voting.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

There is no reason for them to do this.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

blackguy32 posted:

The absolute gridlock of the last 6 years (Congress hasn't passed any meaningful laws since 2010) has convinced that someone needs to come along and "break" the impasse by virtue of being a fringe outsider. On the GOP side, throw in a dash of "willing to say what other Republicans use coded language for" and you have a perfect recipe for Trump. There's a graph somewhere that shows all of the GOP candidates and rates them by years of experience working "in government". All of the most experienced people were the first on the chopping block. We're not that far from President Camacho in a very real sense because political experience is seen as a huge liability by the crypto-fascists.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Should I also assume that for the most part Clinton's presidency has become assured?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's still technically possible that the Republican convention rules committee can change the rules last second so that 1200whatever delegates isn't enough to win, I believe? But I don't think that's happening.

E:^ Unless Bernie wins every single remaining state, I think so. :smith:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The election is basically now Hillary's to lose. So I have no confidence that she won't gently caress it up horribly.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

The Shortest Path posted:

It's still technically possible that the Republican convention rules committee can change the rules last second so that 1200whatever delegates isn't enough to win, I believe? But I don't think that's happening.

E:^ Unless Bernie wins every single remaining state, I think so. :smith:

If Prince Rebus is resigned to nominee Trump then the GOP as an organization is done trying to stump Trump.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

they think Trump's going to lose and that Hillary will nominate someone further left, which are both true things

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Grouchio posted:

Should I also assume that for the most part Clinton's presidency has become assured?

I mean anything can happen, and this election has been lunacy -- but the structural factors confronting ANY GOP nominee are daunting enough but are magnified even MORE by Trump's rise.

Like Romney won white people by like 30 points or something like that. Trump would have to win them by like 50, which isn't going to happen. On top of that minority and women voters (including WHITE women for the first time since 1996) appear to be ready to turn out in droves to defeat him. It also seems likely to be what settles any tension in the DNC a la "I wanted Bernie, but gently caress Trump."

Hollismason posted:

The election is basically now Hillary's to lose. So I have no confidence that she won't gently caress it up horribly.

The fact that Hillary survived Bernie's challenge in election year where outsiders were king should actually encourage you.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Yes and no.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Grouchio posted:

No Trump has the intangibles to win and can attack her from right and left. But he is very unpopular and she enjoys broad Democratic support. She has to convince undecideds Trump is gonna gently caress everything up, while not imploding.

The good news is with Cruz dropping out the worst possible outcome has passed.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 4, 2016

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NaanViolence posted:

For every situation where jury nullification is bad, there is a situation where it is good. Example: ridiculous laws against drug possession.

Bullshit. If you want an unjust law fixed, you fix it either via congress or the appeals process. You don't sometimes act to dismiss it, but only "randomly", and in a way that ensures unequal justice. it violates the entire principle of having written laws if unwritten and unspoken agreements are developed outside them. You do understand that written law was something people fought and died for in the west, correct?

The justness of laws should not be left to the rabble, but to the actually educated people on the subject. Otherwise you have mob rule garbage, and all the evil that entails to everyone outside the mainstream.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

they think Trump's going to lose and that Hillary will nominate someone further left, which are both true things

Why wouldn't she nominate a more socially and environmentally friendly Roberts?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

They aren't afraid of a Trump nominee, they're afraid of a Democratic Senate.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Hootington posted:

Because she's not a Republican, despite all the vitriol going on in the primary?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I don't know why people act like 2020 is a sure thing for Clinton. A recession is coming, it will be blamed on Democrats, and voter fatigue will make a lot of people think it's time for a change.

I just have a hard time believing we can go back to having a boring Clinton vs Rubio/other establishment politician situation next time. Are all the Trump voters just gonna fall back into line and accept a candidate like that?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

rkajdi posted:

The justness of laws should not be left to the rabble, but to the actually educated people on the subject. Otherwise you have mob rule garbage, and all the evil that entails to everyone outside the mainstream.

Agreed. Do we want juries deciding if it was ok for a cop to chain a guy to a stop sign and shoot him in the head? I don't even trust juries to decide facts in a case, let alone give opinions about what the law "should" be. Why even loving have laws at all if juries can just ignore them at will?

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 4, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Garland is not Roberts, but if you're wondering: the dynamics of who you nominate change based on who you can get through, reasonably. If you have control of the Senate, you can nominate someone who will be a liberal standard.

Now it's possible she wouldn't, knowing she'll likely be replacing Breyer, Kennedy and RBG; but that fear would be very real to Republicans.

bowser posted:

I don't know why people act like 2020 is a sure thing for Clinton. A recession is coming, it will be blamed on Democrats, and voter fatigue will make a lot of people think it's time for a change.

I just have a hard time believing we can go back to having a boring Clinton vs Rubio/other establishment politician situation next time. Are all the Trump voters just gonna fall back into line and accept a candidate like that?

Predicting what 2020 would look like is absolute folly and trying to game it out is silly. Also a Recession Is Coming might as well be Winter is Coming at this point.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

rkajdi posted:

You realize the concept dates back to an era where oligarchy wasn't just a word bandied around for political points, but was an actual, real thing right? Like the origin of this country is about the common man rejecting the educated rich people whose laws were deemed unjust because they were made without sure representation in the political process.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Raerlynn posted:

Like the origin of this country is about the common man rejecting the educated rich people whose laws were deemed unjust because they were made without sure representation in the political process.

Perhaps- but the origin of our framework of government is not about "the common man" it's about elected elites protecting the hoi polloi from themselves. Culturally you're right that our history is flavored with populism but our actual institutions aren't that way. (Though they are beginning to shift that way with the rise of ballot initiatives and other truly democratic political changes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Unzip and Attack posted:

Agreed. Do we want juries deciding if it was ok for a cop to chain a guy to a stop sign and shoot him in the head? I don't even trust juries to decide facts in the case, let alone give opinions about what the law "should" be. Why even loving have laws at all if juries can just ignore them at will?

I agree with you. I remember it was eye-opening years ago talking with a flatmate in school who was from Germany. One of us made a jury duty joke, and he just acted puzzled. At least in his area of Germany (not sure how true it was for all courts) "jurors" were professionals with law backgrounds. Not sure if he meant that it was a group of law professionals or he meant a judge decided the case.

There are obvious problems there too, but I trust the educated a hell of a lot more than the Trumpenproles we have on juries currently.

• Locked thread