Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I dont know why anybody likes Frank Miller, I've even lost the ability to give him credit for his 80s stuff at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

10 Beers posted:

I remember when I was around 11, Amazing Spider-Man 324 came out, as part of the Assassin Nation Plot. This was in McFarlane's heyday, and he was doing all the art for ASM then. The cover was of Spidey's hands in the web slinging position, facing Sabertooth. I opened it up, super excited....and it was drawn by Erik Larsen. Now, don't get me wrong, I like Larsen, but 11 year old me was confused and disappointed in the switcheroo.

Todd did 298 - 323 and 325, then did 328, and that was it for him. I totally forgot he didn't do 324.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Travis343 posted:

I dont know why anybody likes Frank Miller, I've even lost the ability to give him credit for his 80s stuff at this point

The Wolverine mini is dope.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

MMMyeah see, ya better let me, Baby Edward G Robinson, outta this freakin' papoose unless you wanna dum dum in the groceries, Wonder Broad.

The half-naked gorilla stance

The disconnected head floating eerily into frame like a permed penanggalan

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I think it's a perfectly acceptable picture of a 11-year-old boy in a wig cosplaying as Wonder Woman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wish DK3 had WAY MORE Frank Miller art.

Andy Kubert's art for the main story in DK3 #4

From it's Batgirl mini with art by Miller.

I'd much rather read the sloppy, wild exaggeration.

Of course there could be a better middle ground if Frank can't do the main pages.
They probably felt they had to retreat completely from the bonkers look of DK2, but Kubert is just so basic and plainly-functional-Batman-comic-art for the series.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 28, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jesus christ all of them are salted garbage

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Teenage Fansub posted:

From it's Batgirl mini with art by Miller.

If we put side-by-side comparisons of his art over the decades it'd be like a Louis Wain exhibit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The angry metastasized hatelook goes well with DKR3. It's just the use of Adobe Photoshop Essentials filters that made DKR2 a chore.

Also like Aquaman's S-shaped seahog there. :aaa:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Travis343 posted:

Art or writing? I mean he basically created everything that is interesting about Daredevil so I'll give him that but I've always thought that he is a poo poo artist. Every character looks like they've been drinking for decades and had just gone ten rounds with Ali and the last seven were just Ali punching their unconscious face.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 28, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

zoux posted:

MMMyeah see, ya better let me, Baby Edward G Robinson, outta this freakin' papoose unless you wanna dum dum in the groceries, Wonder Broad.

There's some pretty good stuff in this gallery:

http://comicbook.com/2015/11/25/frank-miller-on-dark-knight-iii-the-master-race-im-not-a-pyroman/8

but that cover looks like poo poo.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

DarkCrawler posted:

Art or writing? I mean he basically created everything that is interesting about Daredevil so I'll give him that but I've always thought that he is a poo poo artist. Every character looks like they've been drinking for decades and had just gone ten rounds with Ali and the last seven were just Ali punching their unconscious face.

I won't say I liked Sin City (I found the plots either outright misogynistic or pants on head retarded retreads of noir staples) but I did really appreciate the aesthetic. How he used negative and positive space was really something.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scaramouche posted:

I won't say I liked Sin City (I found the plots either outright misogynistic or pants on head retarded retreads of noir staples) but I did really appreciate the aesthetic. How he used negative and positive space was really something.

Sin City was good. The problem is that Frank Miller never stopped making Sin City.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

This is pretty relevant to the current discussion, on how the issue with Frank Miller's current work is that a lot of the colourists he gets are approaching his inks in the wrong way. It looks a lot better in flats, because it's much to abstract to work well if you try and shade it softly and realistically.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm still pretty sure I saw that baby get covered with cement back in the early 90s

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Red Bones posted:

This is pretty relevant to the current discussion, on how the issue with Frank Miller's current work is that a lot of the colourists he gets are approaching his inks in the wrong way. It looks a lot better in flats, because it's much to abstract to work well if you try and shade it softly and realistically.

I still think Miller's recent stuff is awful either way, but he's right - the flat coloring suits it way, way better. To me, the best example of Miller loving stuff up on his own without any colorist is his infamous Judge Dredd piece: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_l_ds-CD9ytM/TI9vQ9HQXbI/AAAAAAAABHg/8Lxm0lK0Azw/s1600/Miller%2BDredd.jpg

It's bizarre, though. It's like he spent all the time on that little guy Dredd is holding, and he looks GREAT - and then Dredd himself is a hot mess of anatomy.

PS: James Harvey is fuckin' rad.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 4, 2016

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I saw this at the local comic store the other day.

I can't understand the anatomy of that elbow even if it's exaggerated. There's no way his right arm is as big and meaty as the left one if it's completely hidden from that angle.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Red Bones posted:

The only ink that can save those is one bucket of black ink over the entire page.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I absolutely agree with him about the flats vs gradients, but his style of adding texture and coloring in black lines doesn't work either. That Superman's much improved until you get to the hands and the pop-art flourish shoved in the corner.
Also, don't agree that DK2 should look any less garish. That's a feature.

Anyway, the guy doing this, James Harvey, is amazing on his own, as I've previously posted http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400783&userid=91602&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post458360898
Check out his issue of We Are Robin (#4) it's real beautiful.

e: I wanna see Jordie Bellaire color Frank :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 4, 2016

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That post about Miller was pretty revelatory to me too, I'd previously thought his DK3 stuff was just laughable garbage but it actually does look really nice when coloured in a way that suits the lines, for the most part. It's hard to see how anyone in an industry that employs so many professional artists could reasonably be like, "yes, this looks exactly as it ought to when I use the house style colouring method on it".

Like, the difference between the Superman image as printed and as recoloured by that person is night and day. It goes from looking like a 14 year old's DeviantArt cover photo to a solid, striking piece. Even if you still don't like the resultant image that much, which I could understand, I think it's difficult to argue that it isn't leaps and bounds better.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It does look better, it still looks incredibly awful though

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The take-away from that article is that Miller has a style that works best on old fashioned newsprint, but this is a medium that's long since left that behind, and he's awful for it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't imagine after Punisher much of his stuff was ever on newsprint.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 4, 2016

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
Said it before and I'll say it again, "realism" in art is pretty much the worst thing that can happen to a medium. Those recollors look amazing.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Red posted:

Yes and yes.

Erik Larsen usually drew MJ in pretty skimpy clothes with big hair, almost like Peg Bundy. But I remember he had some good side-stories for Peter and MJ, like them worrying about having a mutant baby, or MJ auditioning for a part where she'd have to be naked.

But at least the man could draw people who could emote:

Larsen LOVES to draw mega hot babes. I just don't think he's ever succeeded at it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's bizarre, though. It's like he spent all the time on that little guy Dredd is holding, and he looks GREAT - and then Dredd himself is a hot mess of anatomy.
Dredd is the abstract, unknowable concept of Justice, crushing the poo poo out of the actual little guy.

A Good Miller Art.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Scaramouche posted:

This.

Millers use of describing scenes without outlining everything on the panels is really well done and very hard to do. I'm an illustrator and graphic designer and have always thought that the most striking form of visual communication, and one of the most difficult to pull off, is using light and shadow to describe and portray depth and form without using a lot of lines.

Too many comics, you can tell, start with the pencils, then the inks (the lines) and then someone colors it in PhotoShop with a lot of juicy colors and hot gradients.

Klaus Janson is good at this too and the perfect inker for Miller's style. Kirby had it down too. Look at Bernie Wrightson's later illustration work. There are lines but not AROUND the individual objects in the scene. Wrightson uses lines like an etcher; to describe form, shape and contour, like presidents on money.

Miller is also an expert storyteller in the way he composes a page. When I was a kid/teenager, I didn't like Miller because he got the anatomy wrong and poo poo like that. I wanted guys like Neal Adams, Brian Bolland, Mike Grell and George Perez who drew muscles around everything and seemed incredibly detailed. But Miller's best worst is theatrical and cinematic on ways that escape my perception back then.

If you read his early Daredevil stuff, Ronin, TDKR...they're like storyboards for a movie and you can really feel the images moving and jumping off a page. You barely have to read the text to know what's going on and that's an art in itself.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Toadstrieb posted:

Said it before and I'll say it again, "realism" in art is pretty much the worst thing that can happen to a medium. Those recollors look amazing.

Yeah. Like, imagine how much something like Watchmen would lose in being recoloured to have naturalistic, smooth shading everywhere. At present, DC in particular seems a little addicted to trying to make everything fit under one extremely bland umbrella colour-wise.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A couple DC comics I picked up this week are pretty damned vibrant.

New Suicide Squad

Midnighter

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

You got me there, those look real neat.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

RE: Thunderbolts #1

Is "Jon Malin" a pseudonym for Rob Liefeld?

It gets worse inside. That open-mouthed yell Techno is doing? It appears at least three other times in the issue itself.

EDIT-Note how every character has some kind of shoulder pad/cover to prevent viewers from seeing how the arm and shoulder connect, a classic Liefeld weakness

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 5, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Those loving guns can't be anyone else but Liefeld.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
also a distinct lack of feet

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I am Not-Corsair's tiny raptor hands
e: or ... is that Corsair?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Scaramouche posted:

RE: Thunderbolts #1

Is "Jon Malin" a pseudonym for Rob Liefeld?

It gets worse inside. That open-mouthed yell Techno is doing? It appears at least three other times in the issue itself.

EDIT-Note how every character has some kind of shoulder pad/cover to prevent viewers from seeing how the arm and shoulder connect, a classic Liefeld weakness

What's with Atlas's eyes?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

When did Fixer stop being black?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Teenage Fansub posted:

A couple DC comics I picked up this week are pretty damned vibrant.

New Suicide Squad

I'm sure it must be my eyes, but all the red makes the art look blurry to me, and kinda hurts my head.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

I'm sure it must be my eyes, but all the red makes the art look blurry to me, and kinda hurts my head.
I think it's mostly jpgs handle red like poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lurdiak posted:

No, they're not Liefeld. You can tell because they were not obviously drawn after the hand holding them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Travis343 posted:

It does look better, it still looks incredibly awful though

In a different context Miller's recent art might be great - like as a piece of pop art doing an alternate take on a character. As an entire comic, like DK2, it makes me want to claw my eyes out.

Lurdiak posted:

I was going to comment that those handguns actually look like real existing guns, unlike Liefeld, until I realized his fingers would get stuck in the tiny, tiny trigger guards. (Also, no triggers.)

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 5, 2016