Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What gun are you going to use in this Call of Duty?
The good one that everyone else uses
Another, different gun
View Results

• Locked thread
jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
I just want to make sure the fanfic talk during our games will continue in Infinite. It's become a regular nightly thing now to talk about fanfic a on cod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Speaking of single player, does anyone have the desire to do some campaign runs and knock it out? I've only done like 2 missions.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
They set it in sci fi and go for zombies instead of aliens, great.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cardboard Box A posted:

I picked anime with takeoff sounds in the beginning, let me know which one you think is better:

Gundam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6FF9dGPdB8

Yamato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXycuLOmH9s

The Gundam one; it's not even a contest. It synchs with the action in the video really well.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

http://i.imgur.com/EO2hxrz.jpg click for bigger

Mister Macys posted:

The Gundam one; it's not even a contest. It synchs with the action in the video really well.
Thanks!

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Reminder that if you have prime, you can preorder the $80 version for $63.99. Also, you can't get the pre-order discount on the $100 version because it's apparently digital only and they apparently don't extend the discounts to download codes.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

i already played mgs ground zeros

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Overwatch beta is fun

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

sba posted:

Overwatch beta is fun

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
the next call of duty is pretty good for Anime

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

housefly posted:

Reminder that if you have prime, you can preorder the $80 version for $63.99. Also, you can't get the pre-order discount on the $100 version because it's apparently digital only and they apparently don't extend the discounts to download codes.
Prime's turning into a pretty good investment with the videogame discounts and release day free shipping.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

What happens if I preorder on Prime but my sub runs out before release? I assume I still get the game on release day, right? Or is it where it won't charge your card until release day?

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Is there any data available that delineates how many people actually play the campaign in CoD? I remember looking at trophy data for the first mission (the only story mission I played) in Blops 3 and it was a pretty low percentage of completion. I guess my point is, why does the marketing cycle always begin with focusing on the campaign if no one actually cares about it? Is it internal politics within the developers with the SP devs wanting to get their day in the spotlight?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

They add the campaign so people can write A+ fanfics :v:

I play the campaigns but this one was kinda bad.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The campaign is effectively the loss leader that allows them to sell new quake servers for $60+ every year.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Javes posted:

Is there any data available that delineates how many people actually play the campaign in CoD? I remember looking at trophy data for the first mission (the only story mission I played) in Blops 3 and it was a pretty low percentage of completion. I guess my point is, why does the marketing cycle always begin with focusing on the campaign if no one actually cares about it? Is it internal politics within the developers with the SP devs wanting to get their day in the spotlight?

No released data, but there's an interview with Bowling/Vonderhaar/some CoD guy; I forget which- saying their data indicates it's very much in their interest to keep making a single player campaign. This was brought up in one of the other CoD threads a while back, and has been mentioned on the Bombcast.

Believe it or not, many people buy CoD for the story, and only the story. There are now people who'll only buy it for... ugh, zombies. :barf:

Personal opinion and all that, but Call of Duty is the only franchise that I would consider buying without a single-player mode. Every other game I've bought without one, I've been burned ( yeah, looking at you, Brink :colbert: ).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 4, 2016

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Mister Macys posted:

No released data, but there's an interview with Bowling/Vonderhaar/some CoD guy; I forget which- saying their data indicates it's very much in their interest to keep making a single player campaign. This was brought up in one of the other CoD threads a while back, and has been mentioned on the Bombcast.

Believe it or not, many people buy CoD for the story, and only the story. There are now people who'll only buy it for... ugh, zombies. :barf:

Personal opinion and all that, but Call of Duty is the only franchise that I would consider buying without a single-player mode. Every other game I've bought without one, I've been burned ( yeah, looking at you, Brink :colbert: ).

Hey now, Battlefield has had some pretty great games with a lack of single player.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kizurue posted:

Hey now, Battlefield has had some pretty great games with a lack of single player.

I've bought two, played four, and the only one of them I liked had a single player campaign... and building destruction (BC2), which I consider BF's biggest draw for me, personally.
Without building destruction, I just don't see a point in playing them. High player count lobbies don't matter to me.

v - That'd be accurate enough. I didn't get on the CoD train until the 360 though, so I skipped all the bad ones (yeah, I went there).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 4, 2016

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

I've bought two, played four, and the only one of them I liked had a single player campaign... and building destruction (BC2), which I consider BF's biggest draw for me, personally.
Without building destruction, I just don't see a point in playing them. High player count lobbies don't matter to me.

While Bad Company was great (both 1 and 2) Battlefield 2 and 2142 were pretty great for their time. Haven't aged well but for the time they were pretty amazing. During the same period CoD was pretty much identical to Metal of Honor or Day of Defeat. (Or at least in my lovely memory it was.)

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Kizurue posted:

During the same period CoD was pretty much identical to Metal of Honor or Day of Defeat. (Or at least in my lovely memory it was.)

Of course it was, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault was made by the same people who would form Infinity Ward.

Mister Macys posted:

To add to this, apparently only 30% of COD buyers play the multiplayer.

Bonus COD4 achievement stats.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/infinity-ward-posts-cod4-achievement-stats/1100-742/

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Mill Village posted:

Of course it was, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault was made by the same people who would form Infinity Ward.

I did not realize that's where IW came from. Makes sense for why I remember then being so similar though.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Javes posted:

I haven't played a campaign since MW2

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's always funny to see how incredulous some people are about the singleplayer in CoD existing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I liked the Battlefield guy tweeting that IW's trailer is "3 mins of CG" as if it were actually a criticism of CoD's finely honed set-piece singleplayer experience.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yes, because all gameplay trailers use actual gameplay as it would happen in the game.

Because in that regard Battlefield is the freaking worst.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

If you were in any way responsible for releasing Battlefield 4 in the state it was in you should not be complaining about the trailers for other games, especially games which actually work on release day

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

They're probably salty that the last three games combined with BF in the title probably haven't equaled the sales of AW or BO3. :laugh:

And now Call of Duty is about to go back to 2142 before EA does. :lol:

v - That's why I had absolutely zero interest in buying it. Would've been a guaranteed sale, otherwise.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 4, 2016

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
It's pretty crazy that they wasted time making campaigns for BC2, BF3 and BF4 but not for Star Wars Battlefront.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The only thing about BF3's campaign I can remember is the level where you're playing as the Russian guys in Paris, and the only part of BF4's I can remember is how they made you play the last mission several times to unlock MP gear.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ghostlight posted:

I liked the Battlefield guy tweeting that IW's trailer is "3 mins of CG" as if it were actually a criticism of CoD's finely honed set-piece singleplayer experience.

If there is a series that shouldn't be wasting time with a single player campaign, its Battlefield. Not because a singleplayer mode is a bad idea for an FPS, but rather because DICE cannot design itself out of a wet paper bag labeled "Single Player Campaign".

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Bad Company 1's campaign was actually fairly decent and played into the series strengths much better. I dunno what happened.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Have they confirmed whether Infinite Warfare's campaign will be playable co-op? Blops 3 campaign wasn't nearly as good as MW1 (the only other one I've played), but adding two buddies to the mix to shoot the breeze with made it actually fun, and the lobby system with the combat sim stuff was actually really cool.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It's pretty crazy that they wasted time making campaigns for BC2, BF3 and BF4 but not for Star Wars Battlefront.

Battlefront may have been a time issue, to get in on hype for The Force Awakens. Dumping a Campaign would have saved them a bunch of time and money.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Geight posted:

Have they confirmed whether Infinite Warfare's campaign will be playable co-op?
no co op
http://charlieintel.com/2016/05/03/call-duty-infinite-warfare-campaign-not-co-op-play-one-player/

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Oh, eh. Unless the multiplayer looks REALLY cool I think I'll wait for the next Treyarch one. Remastered MW is tempting, but my old friendgroup that I played that for hours with is gone now, so it just wouldn't be the same.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Blops 3 campaign co-op ended up being a wet fart in terms of actual quality, I'm not going to miss it. They're gonna have zombies for co-op anyway. They REALLY should have spec-ops missions though :(

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Shiro and I are playing some afternoon games if anyone is around. I'm drugged up post surgery, so be forewarned.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:911:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just noticed the names on that wall are IW employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just noticed the names on that wall are IW employees.

But of course, IW employees are the real american heroes.

Real talk, can we have a not-America based CoD in the present. I mean... it'd be interesting than say "Americans go to Space" and all.

• Locked thread