Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Breach is a combat protection remover. Everything else, spell thrust, secret word, pierce magic, warding whip, ruby ray of reversal, pierce shield, spellstrike (feels like forgetting something) are spell protection removers. If you cast ruby ray on a lich you will remove its spell trap, thus allowing you to hit it with single target spells. However it will still have stoneskin and protection from magical weapons up since only breach and remove/dispel magic get rid of those, and the lich is immune to these spells, except an inquisitor's dispel since it doesn't have a level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

The Fun Police nerfed the Protection from Undead scrolls into the ground so now they're basically pointless.

Normal liches are immune to level 5 spells and under.

Protection from Magic is what he needs. Hollismason, you can buy three Protection from Magic scrolls at Adventurer's Mart. Use them on your tanks when Kangaxx is about to transform, and they will stop all incoming spells, including imprisonment. Once that happens, avoid letting your backline aggro Kangaxx at all costs, and have your front line with the scrolls up just beat on him until he dies. Be warned that Protection from Magic scrolls will strip all magic effects currently active on the characters that use them, including beneficial ones like Haste.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is how to Kill Kangaxx. Get the anti undead sword. Hidden in the inn at the City Gates. Go to Kangaxx's tomb. Give the Sword to Krogan. Have him activate the swords powerful anti undead spell to kill Kangaxx's lich form right as he spawns. Then have him rage and beat on his Demilich form as he is now immune to Kangaxx's attacks and has a sword that can kill him in a few swings.

After this take the sword back from Krogan and any other gear you want from Krogan and kick him out of the party.

Alterinatily. Get the sword and go and buy a scroll of protection from magic from the Adventurer's mart. This will make you immune to Kangaxx's attacks and allow your character to kill him with out recruiting Krogan.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 4, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Suspicious posted:

Breach is a combat protection remover. Everything else, spell thrust, secret word, pierce magic, warding whip, ruby ray of reversal, pierce shield, spellstrike (feels like forgetting something) are spell protection removers. If you cast ruby ray on a lich you will remove its spell trap, thus allowing you to hit it with single target spells. However it will still have stoneskin and protection from magical weapons up since only breach and remove/dispel magic get rid of those, and the lich is immune to these spells, except an inquisitor's dispel since it doesn't have a level.

Breach + Carsomyr has been working really well so far, but I'll keep that in mind once Spell Trap becomes more common.

If I wanted to keep the scrolls, would giving Aerie the upgraded mace and having her cast Spell Immunity and whatever else she needs work out?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yes it would, but Aerie is pretty noodly in melee so don't skimp on the other buffs. Haste and holy might and all that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Tenser's Transformation should do it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah Tenser's is great. The only things it doesn't affect are attacks per round and base stats, and that's nothing you can't handle with a giant strength girdle and a haste/improved haste spell.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Tensers and draw upon holy might.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Alright I'll try the Protection from Magic scrolls. I have the Day bringer or what ever it is called along with the MAce. Minsc is wielding them two weapon style.

Edit:

Not exactly sure how you all are activating these abilities before he finishes talking though.

Double edit:

DEAD

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 4, 2016

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Mzbundifund posted:

The Fun Police nerfed the Protection from Undead scrolls into the ground so now they're basically pointless.

Huh? I used Protection from undead to cheese both KAngaxx and the Watcher's Keep Demilich just a week ago in BG2EE. In what way was it nerfed?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hollismason posted:

Alright I'll try the Protection from Magic scrolls. I have the Day bringer or what ever it is called along with the MAce. Minsc is wielding them two weapon style.

Edit:

Not exactly sure how you all are activating these abilities before he finishes talking though.

Start the chant for Daybringer's ability before he even spawns. If you time it right it should go off right after he finishs talking and instakill (Or close) his lich form. After which a protected from magic character should crush his demilich form easily.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yea I just cast Protection from Magic on Minsc and he killed both of his forms.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not that anyone in this thread probably cares very much, and I'm having some friends read things over so I can make any necessary edits before I make the announcement at Spellhold Studios, but the biggest writing and coding hurdle for the Valerie NPC mod's BG2 component, her SoA friendship/romance, is finally done.

Doing interjections is the next major task, and it's a pain in the rear end. Oh well.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
She's hanging around in my Ironman, ready to replace Dynaheir if she gets chunked. :v:

Guessing the release timeline isn't so short that she's likely to be available if I make it to BG2.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

She's hanging around in my Ironman, ready to replace Dynaheir if she gets chunked. :v:

Guessing the release timeline isn't so short that she's likely to be available if I make it to BG2.

Probably not. For now I'm sending off Valerie's .j file to a few friends to look over and get their feedback on her friendship and romance before I make any formal announcements on SHS.

Interjections are a pain to do and will take a while, then player-initiated dialogue and hammering out other scripting things like Valerie giving the party a license to cast magic in Amn if she joins the party.

As it is, general plan is to not release SoA separately. Once the SoA version seems to be working, I'll plow on ahead into ToB and release it (and beta test) in one release.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Solo F/M/T is just so much fun. I just encountered a huge pack of Ogres and Ogrillons in one of the coastal areas and after trying to dance around blinding and sleeping while pinging them with arrows, I realised it was taking forever.

So I put on the Ankheg armour, used Twinkle and Bjornin's Shield for a total AC of -9 and just tanked the entire lot of them while chunking them one by one with the scimitar.

Edit: lol, it was even better against these guys because I put the girdle of bluntness on so I had AC -13 against all the Ogre's attacks :getin:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm kinda mad my sling barb couldn't do much damage to the dragon in SOD. The only thing that ever hit was the 1 fire damage i get from the firefly sling. Can anyone confirm that it's immune to non magic damage?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I got teleported to the Ice Island and there's a mage who is killing me. I normally don't have issues with mages, but the enclosed space means he usually fireballs me eventually which chunks a few of my people.

What's the SOP for mage killing if they have friends and start with mirror image? I've got two mages and a cleric, the rest are arrows or melee

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Silence?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If I was good at modding I'd give Minsc a rare chance to blind whoever he's currently engaged with every round.

Anyway, web works with almost everything except for flying creatures on core set difficulty. Even mages get locked down. Then I just have my ranged guys and people immune to web beat them down.

It's too op.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 4, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wand of paralyze will ruin a mage's day too. Or web while your own guy uses Spider's Bane or a free action spell/pot.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mortimer posted:

I got teleported to the Ice Island and there's a mage who is killing me. I normally don't have issues with mages, but the enclosed space means he usually fireballs me eventually which chunks a few of my people.

What's the SOP for mage killing if they have friends and start with mirror image? I've got two mages and a cleric, the rest are arrows or melee

You got a few options.

Easy mode is to lob area spells from outside their line of sight before the fight ever begins. You don't need to wait for them to engage you in conversation. Opening up with two skull traps and a holy smite will usually leave everyone dead or near death.

Get some summoned monsters in there before the fight begins. A skeleton or two to suck up attacks will give the rest of your party free rounds to do horrible things to the enemies. Skeletons are immune to the effects of Stinking Cloud, which forces the enemies to save every round or lose their turn. This can add up to a lot of free rounds.

If the terrain is such that you can't do that without them seeing you, then humble Magic Missiles grind down mirror images very easily because they hit multiple times.

Don't be afraid to use wands and potions. The alternate fire mode on a wand of fire hits twice for a ton of damage, which gives you two chances to disrupt an enemy's spell. Oils of Firey Burning are wands of fire that anyone can use.

If you're being hit by fire, don't be afraid to prebuff with fire resistance. Clerics have a level 2 spell that grants 50% resistance to fire, and mages have a level 3 that grants 80%. If you don't have enough fire resistance to protect your whole party, then just protect your beefiest melee dude and have them charge in while the rest of the party throws fireballs / wands of fire / oils of firey burning. If you get an elemental resistance over 100% then damage of that type actually heals you.

Use haste on your physical attackers and summoned monsters. Haste is the best buff in Baldur's Gate 1. It's effective both in melee and in ranged, and it lets your melee guys close in on casters a round sooner.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Once I get bored of slingbarb I'm going to go back to my evil Avenger run and get 5 mages all with web, summon spiders and polymorph self on my team.

Lolth grant us favor.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Huh, I think the days of lazy mage gameplay are over for me then.

Until now Neera has had 5 sleeps and 5 magic missiles, then 3 stinking clouds.

Sleep is great on enemies that don't take effort to kill, I should probably replace that with web.

Thanks for the tips

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Protip: You can go pick pocket a halfling in Ulgoth's Beard (the one near the inn, forget the name) and get a ring of free action. Pop that bad boy on your tank of choice and wade them in while spamming webs/entangles all day and laughing like a mad man.

Web is obscenely powerful in bg1.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ah so that makes two free action rings and the two hander Spider Sword.

Too bad I missed the second free action ring and Minsc somehow lost his bg1 gear when I got past the first dungeon in SoD.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mzbundifund posted:

You got a few options.

Easy mode is to lob area spells from outside their line of sight before the fight ever begins. You don't need to wait for them to engage you in conversation. Opening up with two skull traps and a holy smite will usually leave everyone dead or near death.

Get some summoned monsters in there before the fight begins. A skeleton or two to suck up attacks will give the rest of your party free rounds to do horrible things to the enemies. Skeletons are immune to the effects of Stinking Cloud, which forces the enemies to save every round or lose their turn. This can add up to a lot of free rounds.

If the terrain is such that you can't do that without them seeing you, then humble Magic Missiles grind down mirror images very easily because they hit multiple times.

Don't be afraid to use wands and potions. The alternate fire mode on a wand of fire hits twice for a ton of damage, which gives you two chances to disrupt an enemy's spell. Oils of Firey Burning are wands of fire that anyone can use.

If you're being hit by fire, don't be afraid to prebuff with fire resistance. Clerics have a level 2 spell that grants 50% resistance to fire, and mages have a level 3 that grants 80%. If you don't have enough fire resistance to protect your whole party, then just protect your beefiest melee dude and have them charge in while the rest of the party throws fireballs / wands of fire / oils of firey burning. If you get an elemental resistance over 100% then damage of that type actually heals you.

Use haste on your physical attackers and summoned monsters. Haste is the best buff in Baldur's Gate 1. It's effective both in melee and in ranged, and it lets your melee guys close in on casters a round sooner.

Wait, wands have alternate fire modes?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Hollismason posted:

Right click on the Wand of Fire on the Quick Item bar, and you can set it. The tooltip will show whether you're setting it to Scorcher or Fireball mode. Pretty sure you can do it in the inventory too, like choosing what way you want to wield a combined range/melee weapon.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm kinda mad my sling barb couldn't do much damage to the dragon in SOD. The only thing that ever hit was the 1 fire damage i get from the firefly sling. Can anyone confirm that it's immune to non magic damage?

Dragons get an innate ability version of stoneskin. Stoneskin blocks the physical portion of attacks but not any extra elemental damage which is why only the 1 fire damage was getting through.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Holy poo poo.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Corvinus posted:

Dragons get an innate ability version of stoneskin. Stoneskin blocks the physical portion of attacks but not any extra elemental damage which is why only the 1 fire damage was getting through.

Ahhhh. Is that dispellable? Is there anything I can do to get past that?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Ahhhh. Is that dispellable? Is there anything I can do to get past that?

Breach will get rid of it, as would an Inquisitor's dispel.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I found the dragon fights red and shadow rather lackluster

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
Sephiroth_IRA, i've probably missed this far earlier in the thread, but can you post Slingbarb's stats/race/gear/etc?

You're making me want to run one.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
About the dual use of wands of fire, every ability has its own amount of charges. So a wand with 10 actually has 10 fireballs and 10 scorchers, though you won't be able to use all 20 since dropping one ability's charge to 0 destroys the wand.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Huh? I used Protection from undead to cheese both KAngaxx and the Watcher's Keep Demilich just a week ago in BG2EE. In what way was it nerfed?

In the EE, the scroll description says it protects from undead physical attacks, but not magic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Anyone familiar with console code to tell me how to spawn Anomens quest giver without loving my game up? Last time I did it it hosed things up because he kept showing up on every map but didn't have anything to say. For some reason this made my party move at a snail's pace.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Huh, good thing Aerie stopped to visit Quayle while we went to scout the Graveyard in the afternoon because Imoen's soul apparently gave Bodhi the power to accelerate the rotation of the planet and plunge it into darkness. It's the only reasonable explanation, because I don't think even Minsc is stupid enough to assault a vampire lair in the middle of the night.

Seriously I don't blame Beamdog for letting their NPCs avoid vampirification because that's really stupid and forced.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I assaulted the vampire lair in the middle of the night, are you not suppose to?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I assaulted the vampire lair in the middle of the night, are you not suppose to?

Vampires burn in the daylight, just seems logical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Suspicious posted:

In the EE, the scroll description says it protects from undead physical attacks, but not magic.

The game accomplishes this by making the user invisible to all undead for the duration. Even though Demilich Imprisonment is a "magic" attack, it cannot target what it cannot see, thus a character that uses Protection from Undead will not be targetted with Imprisonment. This just means that the lich will target someone else. To deal with that you move up a mage and cast Spell Immunity: Abjuration. Tada, Kangaxx is your lich bitch.