Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Spanish Manlove posted:

What do you guys think of Saison Dupont? It's like the benchmark for saisons to me and inexpensive but still way too much since it feels like it should be about $6-$8 a bomber and not $10+

Good pick. If available, grab Avec Les Bon Voeux or JP Baudelaire io for that similar price point.

Hennepin and Tank 7 were my benchmarks but those days are long gone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Spanish Manlove posted:

What do you guys think of Saison Dupont? It's like the benchmark for saisons to me and inexpensive but still way too much since it feels like it should be about $6-$8 a bomber and not $10+

It's great. Find it in brown bottles if you can. I don't mind a little skunk on it, but sometimes it's foul.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Saison Dupont is the reason why I really got into craft beer. So for me 10$ a 750 is totally worth it. That said I typically stock up on a bunch of bottles when I do find it for 8-9$ which happens pretty often.
My god do I love that beer.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Fantome has the biggest bottle variation in beer. It's _always_ a gamble, but when they're great they're great.

Edit: Oh look at all those posts I missed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

air- posted:

Good pick. If available, grab Avec Les Bon Voeux or JP Baudelaire io for that similar price point.

Hennepin and Tank 7 were my benchmarks but those days are long gone...

I'll keep my eyes out for those first two, I've had the others and Tank 7's nice in 4packs on a hot day.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'll keep my eyes out for those first two, I've had the others and Tank 7's nice in 4packs on a hot day.

Also keep an eye out for Boulevard's Saison Brett. It usually comes out around nowish (I think?) and is very solid. Although it is more in that 12+$ for a 750 price range.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

danbanana posted:

Though apparently it's mostly resolved, Fantome had serious infection issues for years (and not the good kind). It was a kind of roulette you'd play buying a bottle that stopped me from trying more than a couple before I felt my money was better spent elsewhere. But again, word is that that is fixed for the most part.

I thought it was mainly a burnt kettle from like 2011(maybe 2012)-2013 that brought a horrible smoky sort of flavor. In 2013 a number of American brewers actually went over to Belgium and inspected his equipment and found that out. There have been the occasional issue outside of that, but that effected every single beer for that time frame and was the main reason Fantome became known to be really inconsistent. Just avoid those years and you should be golden.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

It was definitely an infection because the bottles were supposedly fine fresh but sitting on them for any amount of time caused the smoky/bandaid flavor and they turned into gushers, which is a hallmark sign of additional yeast/bacteria activity in the bottle.

I had heard that Dany did a collaboration with a brewer from the US who started off things by cleaning out the entire brew house and all of his equipment, something which hadn't been done in a while and that's when the infection issues stopped. I wish I could remember where I read that though.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

It was definitely an infection because the bottles were supposedly fine fresh but sitting on them for any amount of time caused the smoky/bandaid flavor and they turned into gushers, which is a hallmark sign of additional yeast/bacteria activity in the bottle.

I had heard that Dany did a collaboration with a brewer from the US who started off things by cleaning out the entire brew house and all of his equipment, something which hadn't been done in a while and that's when the infection issues stopped. I wish I could remember where I read that though.

I heard the same thing. But I've bought Fantome stuff since then (in fact, I don't think I'd had anything from them prior to that) and still found something "off." That might just be that I don't find their yeast particularly pleasing.

Either way, I do find de Blaugies stuff delicious so I'll stick with those... which sit on shelves forever. I think I've bought a significant portion of the case of Le Vermontoise that my local Binnys has had for like a year or so. Still shocked that something with HILL FARMSTEAD stamped on the label sits on shelves but whatever. That poo poo is goooood.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
About every other time I go into the Beer Temple I get that beer. Tis a total winner.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Spanish Manlove posted:

Its the baseline for a good saison imo

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Avec Les Bons Voeux goes unjustly unheralded. It does that weird 9% abv "imperial saison" thing super gracefully. Tired Hands' Whatever, Nevermind is the only thing I've had that's come close to that level of finesse in a farmhouse ale at that strength.

Funkybottoms: yeah, AA. His house smells weird and he's kind of a dweeb but I wasn't aware of any other reason to dislike him.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

poop dood posted:

Funkybottoms: yeah, AA. His house smells weird and he's kind of a dweeb but I wasn't aware of any other reason to dislike him.

he's made some legitimately offensive homophobic comments on facebook and BA, not just stuff like, "dude, that's gay!" also, he's always trying to rope random people into hanging out at his house, which is apparently a really awkward experience.

almost the entire full-time staff is away at CBC, so me and one other dude are holding down the fort all week. much metal will be played.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

funkybottoms posted:

almost the entire full-time staff is away at CBC

I think it's like this everywhere. My entire plane from SFO to PHL was full of industry people. I ended up striking up a pleasant conversation with a dude who writes brewery management software at the airport and I sat next to Veronica Vega from Deschutes on the plane. She asked me about my newly acquired Boneyard hoodie and we started talking about the Philly beer scene. This week is going to be insane. So many good events going on.

edit - Anyone in Philly should be going to to the Tired Hands/Other Half/Monkish event at Martha in Kensington tomorrow night.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 3, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I'm in a bottle shop and I see this Clown Shoes Pierre Ferrand Billionaire, anyone know if this is the same as Billionaire? Believe they're both cognac ba'd English barleywines. It looks like they may have been in different cognac barrels?

e: whoa, distribution in Texas looks like it's made a huge leap in a year

air- fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 3, 2016

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

danbanana posted:

Correct.

Though apparently it's mostly resolved, Fantome had serious infection issues for years (and not the good kind). It was a kind of roulette you'd play buying a bottle that stopped me from trying more than a couple before I felt my money was better spent elsewhere. But again, word is that that is fixed for the most part.

Saying around my beer group is "Sometimes you get the Fan, sometimes you get the tome"

They've always had a pretty bad bottle variation, but in the last year or two bad bottles have outnumbered the good from my experience. At this point I consider Fantome a straight gamble.....it might be awesome, it might be drainpour.

a worthy uhh posted:

Fantome has the biggest bottle variation in beer. It's _always_ a gamble, but when they're great they're great.

Edit: Oh look at all those posts I missed.

Meh I spent the time to type that poo poo it's staying

ChiTownEddie posted:

Also keep an eye out for Boulevard's Saison Brett. It usually comes out around nowish (I think?) and is very solid. Although it is more in that 12+$ for a 750 price range.

We did a 16 beer head to head showdown and Saison Brett won the whole shebang. It's a damned good beer.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

Ireland is getting there, but the small breweries are REALLY small (as you'd expect in a country of only a few million)

The only one I'm really familiar with are Galway Bay brewery, which does a fair range but limited distribution.

http://www.beoir.org/ is the hub site for the craft brew scene over there, should get you on the right path.

If you're moving to Dublin, then the Porterhouse is a decent brewhouse that makes their own stouts and ales.

I'm moving from a country of only a few million that has a young but really active craft beer scene, so my expectations are high. I'll check your link out. Appreciate it!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

The Schwa posted:

I'm moving from a country of only a few million that has a young but really active craft beer scene, so my expectations are high. I'll check your link out. Appreciate it!

funny, someone from a facebook group is vacationing there and was asking for recommendations... but there weren't a lot. Porterhouse, Black Sheep, the Brazen Head, and Against the Grain were the only names that came up. someone said there was a really good, small brewery on Dingle, but he couldn't remember the name...

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Trying another tart'n'juicy sour ipa from epic. Not a fan. I like sours in general, but this seems aggressively sour with not much else to it flavor-wise, I don't get the ipa part of the equation at all. It also smells vaguely of actual poo poo.
The first one I had seemed better, now I only have four more to go :barf:

fake edit: actually that smell isn't so vague after all. I'd say it's pretty strong on second whiff.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

The Schwa posted:

are there many non-US posters in this thread? I'm moving to Ireland later in the year and have no idea what to look out for in terms of local breweries.
I spent a few weeks there recently. Galway Bay Brewery was the best I found. There were some bars that had a bunch of taps, but not a lot.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Hauki posted:

Trying another tart'n'juicy sour ipa from epic. Not a fan. I like sours in general, but this seems aggressively sour with not much else to it flavor-wise, I don't get the ipa part of the equation at all. It also smells vaguely of actual poo poo.
The first one I had seemed better, now I only have four more to go :barf:

fake edit: actually that smell isn't so vague after all. I'd say it's pretty strong on second whiff.

Had the same problems with that. Lagunitas Aunt Sally is the same concept but done actually well, if you see it. Epic has never impressed me.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MunchE posted:

Had the same problems with that. Lagunitas Aunt Sally is the same concept but done actually well, if you see it. Epic has never impressed me.

I like big bad baptist quite a bit as well as uh... hm.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone link me to the beer wiki again? Scoping out a CO trip and trying to decide what's worth hitting between Denver and Durango (I know, I know, my sister is getting married there...) later this year.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Hauki posted:

In a world where I have a metric fuckton of imperial stout options, I never feel the need to buy Big Bad Baptist

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Had to be at work during The Veil's weekly can release, but my friend grabbed me 4-packs of all the new stuff. Bob From Marketing is a 7% sour IPA. Strong lacto aroma and flavor, heavy dry hopping. Tastes like a 50-50 blend of fresh grapefruit juice and orange juice. Honestly loving nuts. Dirt Nap is an 8.8% DIPA, hopped with Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy and Nelson. It is hands down the best IPA I have had from the state of Virginia, and probably in my top 5 IPAs of all time. Very similar to Trillium in execution, but a little boozier. That little bite of alcohol is what sets them apart from the pillowy-soft Trillium IPAs, and I think that makes Veil's beers a little more toothy and satisfying. I could certainly see people not being into it, but it's absolutely my favorite poo poo.

I have a day off tomorrow, I'm gonna head down there and try out their new English barleywine, Circle of Wolves. They brewed this one with the intent of putting it all in bourbon barrels, but they brewed more beer than they had barrels for, so they put the remainder on tap. I've heard it's fantastic. They also recently filled a Buffalo Trace rye whiskey barrel with 53 gallons of VA honey, with the intent of giving the honey to Black Heath meadery to make mead with, then aging some sort of beer in the honeyed rye barrels. These dudes are doing total beer nerd poo poo and I love it so much.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Hauki posted:

I like Escape to Colorado IPA. Elder Brett was pretty good too. They might not be a super amazing brewery, but I buy their 12 pack samplers with some frequency because they're better than the majority of similar product in the cooler in CO. Also their taproom is decent and they rotate a lot of beers through there, so it's worth a stop if you're spending time in River North. Although at the moment if I only have time for one stop up there I usually go to Ratio.

Podima posted:

Can someone link me to the beer wiki again? Scoping out a CO trip and trying to decide what's worth hitting between Denver and Durango (I know, I know, my sister is getting married there...) later this year.

What's your route from Denver to Durango and how long do you have in Denver? The wiki is super out of date and has nothing in the mountains.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
^
Yeah that thing is in dire need of an update, but I'll chime in and say that Pagosa Brewing Co. In Pagosa Springs is worth a stop, though it's been 5-6 years since I was there.

... Assuming you're going east and north (160 and 285) instead of north and east via I-70.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Podima posted:

http://www.legionofawesomebeer.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Eejit posted:

I like Escape to Colorado IPA. Elder Brett was pretty good too. They might not be a super amazing brewery, but I buy their 12 pack samplers with some frequency because they're better than the majority of similar product in the cooler in CO. Also their taproom is decent and they rotate a lot of beers through there, so it's worth a stop if you're spending time in River North. Although at the moment if I only have time for one stop up there I usually go to Ratio.

What's your route from Denver to Durango and how long do you have in Denver? The wiki is super out of date and has nothing in the mountains.

That's true, escape to colorado wasn't bad. I don't think I've had elder Brett actually. I do buy them more than I would otherwise because they're (now) local, although I still haven't actually been to their taproom either. As you mentioned, I generally only make one stop if I'm that area and other stuff has been higher up my list. There are also a ton of newer places scattered all around town that keep getting recommended to me that I haven't had time to look into at all.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

me last night: Hmm, this liquor store has a choice between a $10 bomber of chocolate oak aged yeti, or a $27 bomber of normal oak aged yeti. tough choice

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Epic/DC Brau Fermentation Without Representation is pretty good :can:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

ChickenArise posted:

Epic/DC Brau Fermentation Without Representation is pretty good :can:

It's one of the least bad pumpkin beers.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Pumpkin beers are good

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Pumpkin beers bring in a nice seasonal festivity and drinkability that the glut of overhopped IPA swill could never provide.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Control Volume posted:

me last night: Hmm, this liquor store has a choice between a $10 bomber of chocolate oak aged yeti, or a $27 bomber of normal oak aged yeti. tough choice

BA Yeti is around that price, so I'm betting the store mispriced because they thought it was BA Yeti.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Control Volume posted:

Pumpkin beers are good

:yum:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

- me, thinking about a delicious pumpkin beer in the fall. pleasant pumpkin notes with hints of even more pumpkin

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Control Volume posted:

- me, thinking about a delicious pumpkin beer in the fall. pleasant pumpkin notes with hints of even more pumpkin

It's possible that you may have a problem.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

We have a regular beer share, and one of the regulars is a guy who has brought a different pumpkin beer for nearly two years running at this point. There's actually a surprising number of good ones out there, but it correlates pretty heavily to aging in barrels and lack of spices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
PSA: Heavy Seas Loose Cannon isn't THAT bad, but NEVER try their TropiCannon. It literally tasted like someone dumped Hi-C in flavorless beer. The one of few times I didn't google before purchase.