Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Fuzz posted:

Clearly Rhaegar Targaryen is Rey's father.

LUKE SKYWALKER: You know nothing, Rey Sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

drunkill posted:

Nope, that arch was man made (well, cgi most of it)

Most of that canyon sequence was digital backgrounds as they couldn't film in those areas without damaging them, so they took one vehicle in there and filmed it all and then the rest was filmed in open areas and added in the canyon walls in post.

E: For fun, VFX breakdown for Fury Road, there's more than you think, but unlike the SW prequels, it did it well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfs2MpGG0RI

That's pretty cool. CGI when used to blend everything together, combining multiple shots and practical effects and either enhancing or adding visuals to a scene can be an amazing tool.

This is just lazy and looks like a cutscene from an Infity engine game.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
o poo poo is this Negative Prequel Talk in a Star Wars thread? Is SMG currently banned or something?!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

o poo poo is this Negative Prequel Talk in a Star Wars thread? Is SMG currently banned or something?!

The prequels are amazingly bad movies. The force awakens was okay, which is much less interesting.

Also the prequels had much better music (except maybe episode II, as I can't remember many new pieces from that). John Williams is getting old.

e: I also saw the preqeuels when I was a kid basically, so that kind of helps me appreciate them (though I realized they were bad by the time II came out, which is pretty much my first experience of watching a movie in the theater and thinking it was a bad movie) compared to how I don't really care at all for the new ones, except that I liked Kylo Ren and the lightsaber fight at the end

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 4, 2016

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I think people are silly and obviously wrong when they say TFA is better because of all practical sets, but so are people who think this defeats any arguments about the CGI in the prequels being bad, and taking them out of the movies. It's more a testament to A) how good CGI is now, and B) the way this better CGI is being used.

Mad Max Fury Road doing an amazing job with blending CGI and sets, and using it to enhance a shot or scene, doesn't make the CGI of 1999, 2002, or 2005 suddenly better. And yes, it was earlier CGI, so it was always going to look worse, but we just live in a world now when people are using CGI in wonderful ways. TFA included in that.

"See? TFA used CGI, too!" Yup, I get that. And it looks far better. Because it's been 10 years since the last prequel, and 16 years since the first prequel. We've finally reached a point where it becomes harder to tell what is CGI and what isn't (which is why so many people were fooled into thinking it was all sets. Well, that and JJ and crew flat out saying it).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Randarkman posted:

my first experience of watching a movie in the theater and thinking it was a bad movie

Man I wish I could remember what was that for me. It was probably something too forgettable like one of the many crappy Animated films out at the time.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

drunkill posted:

Nope, that arch was man made (well, cgi most of it)

Most of that canyon sequence was digital backgrounds as they couldn't film in those areas without damaging them, so they took one vehicle in there and filmed it all and then the rest was filmed in open areas and added in the canyon walls in post.

E: For fun, VFX breakdown for Fury Road, there's more than you think, but unlike the SW prequels, it did it well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfs2MpGG0RI

That's pretty impressive. I remember reading an article that they hosed up the desert in Namib but apparently that was started by some tour guide and the government denied any problems with the film crew.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I went to see Attack of the Clones in theaters twice because my dad and I weren't sure if we liked it, and we wanted too. I think the first movie I was excited to see that I was really disappointed by.

Spoiler, the movie sucks and sucks forever. If it's your favorite, more power to ya.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Okay.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well we made it pretty long anyway but here we go again on prequel CGI talk.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Someone post the prequel sets and miniatures.

We will be full circle.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There is another thread where you can go and praise the prequels.

Anyway, those sets are dope as gently caress

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Don't poo poo this thread up with prequel garbage. Talk about spoilers for the new movie(s) in here, go to the other thread for everything else.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I went to see Attack of the Clones in theaters twice because my dad and I weren't sure if we liked it, and we wanted too. I think the first movie I was excited to see that I was really disappointed by.

Spoiler, the movie sucks and sucks forever. If it's your favorite, more power to ya.

There is another thread where you can go and whine about the prequels.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Way to continue a dead convo broh.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 5, 2016

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Ehh, not really feeling this:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/05/exclusive-details-on-tom-hardys-role-in-star-wars-episode-viii/

I'm fine with Hardy, the scene seems a bit dumb though. I guess this might pay off even more if the potential "Finn gets captured and re-indoctrinated" plot actually gets used.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Teek posted:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/05/exclusive-details-on-tom-hardys-role-in-star-wars-episode-viii/

I'm fine with Hardy, the scene seems a bit dumb though. I guess this might pay off even more if the potential "Finn gets captured and re-indoctrinated" plot actually gets used.

If this part was like a cameo in the vein of Daniel Craig, I'd say don't spoil it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Teek posted:

Star Wars: rear end Slapping Storm Troopers.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

There were rumors of Adam Driver filming alongside Ridley and Hamill for the Ireland Ahch-to scenes, looks like that can now be confirmed:

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/05/photos-starwars-episodeviii-cast-arrive-at-belfast-ireland.html

Not sure if that means he'll be the real Ben or a vision or what. The fake-Ben could be possible, if the old (force?) tree we've seen leads to a Dagobah cave-like sequence.

There was also a recent rumor before Driver arrived about Ben being present on Ahch-To talking to Rey. Luke gets angered by the direction of the conversation and blows up one of the huts. Unclear again if this scene is real or a fantasy sequence.

Teek fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 13, 2016

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I guess we could put Rogue One spoilers in this thread too?

Some placeholder pages have leaked form the upcoming Visual Story Guide coming out this fall:

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/05/new-images-with-characters-vehicles-and-descriptions-from-rogue-one.html

Includes names of many of the characters, including a reveal of two previously unseen aliens who are part of the rebel crew.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
TIE Striker?

Hovertank owns

The crashed ship on the beach scenes we saw months ago

Director Krennic

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
lmao talking about Leia's bikini when talking about "wonderous iconic outfits."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Im all about these leaked rogue 1 images. Love the weirdo alien rebels especially fat bothann. Hopefully played by jack black

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

But what I want to know is, will these villains' means of defense be needed more than ever?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

"Wonderous iconic" = stuff jerked off to during puberty, I assume.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Teek posted:

The best part about this is even if he never takes off the helmet I'll recognize him immediately from his silly walk.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

its both so i dont see the problem

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Saw the movie a couple days ago for the first time. I just realized han solo was the new obi wan

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Seems like Adam Driver wasn't the only one present for the Ireland filming. He brought his barely seen as of yet friends:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/05/star-wars-episode-viii-the-knights-of-ren/

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Teek posted:

Seems like Adam Driver wasn't the only one present for the Ireland filming. He brought his barely seen as of yet friends:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/05/star-wars-episode-viii-the-knights-of-ren/

I hope that scene is real.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Electromax posted:

I hope that scene is real.

Watch they're just filming the flashback.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Given the amount of fan service in TFA and the need to establish his credibility as a teacher to others, I will be shocked if we don't get Luke Skywalker being a badass using modern action filming techniques at least one time.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I hope they put Finn and Poe in Sting's outfit from Dune and Rey has to rescue them.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nah this.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Obviously this is what it should be, as I've always imagined it to be the traditional undergarment for a Sith/Jedi.

Looking more and more likely that Darth Vader will make an appearance in Rogue One, too. That'd be cool, that sweet moment where the heist looks like it's going perfectly and they're about to walk out underneath the Imperial's noses when BAM, red lightsaber outta nowhere and he just straight up murders everyone. I'd also hope they put Hayden Christensen inside the suit again, because I really don't think he'd be bad under anyone but Lucas, and two because it'd make half the internet melt down.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Fuzz posted:

Watch they're just filming the flashback.

It makes sense. Doesn't Snoke call him the last of the Knights of Ren?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

As far as I'm aware Kylo was never called the last of the knights of Ren

Snoke says "Even you, master of the Knights of Ren, have never faced such a test."

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Looke posted:

As far as I'm aware Kylo was never called the last of the knights of Ren

Snoke says "Even you, master of the Knights of Ren, have never faced such a test."

Ah okay, thanks. I could see how master became last of in my head over time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

No idea how true this is, but the title for Episode VIII may have been "leaked".

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/star-wars-episode-viii-title/

quote:

GamesRadar has claimed to have seen materials from Celebration, which includes the title. And it is… Star Wars: Fall Of The Resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That's good, and plausible, it rhymes with TESB. Like poetry.

• Locked thread