Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
There are only ten states that haven't voted consistently Republican or Democrat in the past four presidential elections - the other 40 plus DC are basically irrelevant.

They are (with # of electoral votes):

Florida 29
Ohio 18
North Carolina 15
Virginia 13
Indiana 11
Colorado 9
Iowa 6
Nevada 6
New Mexico 5
New Hampshire 4

Without these states, if we assume that the trends hold, Clinton is sitting at 242 EVs already, to Trump's 180 EVs.

No loving way Clinton loses Colorado or Virginia to Trump, so give her another 22. She is now at 264, meaning she only needs another 6 EVs to win, out of eight states with a total of 94 EVs between them. Of those 8 states, Obama won 8 of them in 2008 and 6 of them in 2012.

So. Yeah. Trump is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Zeroisanumber posted:

Northern VA is filled with people who could almost be Hillary clones, and there is no loving way that Donald "Mexican Rapists" Trump is going to win enough of the Latino vote to take Florida.

Cubans aren't Mexicans. What has trump said about Cubans?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

showbiz_liz posted:

There are only ten states that haven't voted consistently Republican or Democrat in the past four presidential elections - the other 40 plus DC are basically irrelevant.

They are (with # of electoral votes):

Florida 29
Ohio 18
North Carolina 15
Virginia 13
Indiana 11
Colorado 9
Iowa 6
Nevada 6
New Mexico 5
New Hampshire 4

Without these states, if we assume that the trends hold, Clinton is sitting at 242 EVs already, to Trump's 180 EVs.

No loving way Clinton loses Colorado or Virginia to Trump, so give her another 22. She is now at 264, meaning she only needs another 6 EVs to win, out of eight states with a total of 94 EVs between them. Of those 8 states, Obama won 8 of them in 2008 and 6 of them in 2012.

So. Yeah. Trump is hosed.

But showbiz_liz! I'm a low-information voter, how can you know?!?!?!?!?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bunleigh posted:

Has the thread talked yet about what happens with the Trumpen Horde when Trump loses? There will be millions of angry racist idiots convinced they got cheated/robbed of their glorious future. Kinda scary poo poo.

Clinton is planning one of those "You won a free car" flier stings to lure them all in, then use them to make Soylent.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
To accompany my arzy map from several pages ago that already has Hillary at 270 in a near worst case scenario I present a map that is about 100 times more likely to occur than any Trump victory.

Will this happen exactly like this? Probably not. But Utah, Georgia, and Arizona are definitely in play this election cycle. And North Carolina is probably a safe Hillary bet.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Torpor posted:

Younger Cubanos are solid Dems, who rightly see that bigotry against "Mexicans" hurts anyone hispanic or even hispanic looking. Older counter-revolutionaries probably love Trump and his hardline stances but they aren't the force they were in the 80's.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

But showbiz_liz! I'm a low-information voter, how can you know?!?!?!?!?

You cannot know the unknowable. It's makes u think...

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes, Utah Georgia and Arizona are in play this election cycle.

God I want Georgia to flip so loving bad I can taste it

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

MacheteZombie posted:

Clinton is planning one of those "You won a free car" flier stings to lure them all in, then use them to make Soylent.

If you'll remember, the III%ers are all cowards, they didn't show up to their great revolution when people were begging them to, they probably won't now.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yet Cruz doubled down on the racism (see: policing minority neighborhoods); he only questioned Trumps orthodoxy in terms of Republican economics, he didn't question the vileness of Trump's ideas writ large. There's also a massive difference in a Republican Primary electorate and the more diverse, saner general election electorate.

And the base doesn't actually give a gently caress about Republican economic orthodoxy. If anything some of the base seems to be subconsciously aware of the fact that they've been given a big ol' bait-and-switch since 1980.

"Sorry we didn't get rid of all the gay Mexican abortionist Muslim communists (again), but we passed tax breaks for people making 1,000 times what you do and outsourced your job overseas!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trump can win if he wins every 2012 swing state, give or take one or two. It was already an uphill battle for a GOP president, and that was assuming a regular candidate not the Tangerine Dream.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Shillary posted:

Younger Cubanos are solid Dems, who rightly see that bigotry against "Mexicans" hurts anyone hispanic or even hispanic looking. Older counter-revolutionaries probably love Trump and his hardline stances but they aren't the force they were in the 80's.

My roommate is third-gen Cuban and has been talking a lot about this. Basically his grandparents' generation are solidly Cruz and will probably go for Trump now, but he doesn't know any Cubans his age or even many his parents' age who feel the same way.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bunleigh posted:

Has the thread talked yet about what happens with the Trumpen Horde when Trump loses? There will be millions of angry racist idiots convinced they got cheated/robbed of their glorious future. Kinda scary poo poo.

you mean like in 08 and 12 when a black man strode confidently into the white house and the racist mobs did nothing but make veiled threats about dry powder on facebook for four years

these people are cowards

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno why everyone is so interested in this primary poo poo as Obama is undoubtedly setting into motion his sinister plan to be president forever.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

zoux posted:

Trump can win if he wins every 2012 swing state, give or take one or two. It was already an uphill battle for a GOP president, and that was assuming a regular candidate not the Tangerine Dream.

The bigger problem is that with Trump as the candidate the 'traditional' swing states are almost no longer swing states at all. Florida might simply be regarded as solidly blue. The swing states this November will be North Carolina, Georgia, Utah, and Arizona. It goes without saying how disastrous the implications of that are to Trump because, if that ends up being the case, it literally means that he already lost.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

an article detailing what will happen when trump loses

http://www.theonion.com/article/south-postpones-rising-again-for-yet-another-year-377

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

"Either Southerners will start improving themselves, or they'll be sold to middle-class Asians as pets."

Checks out. :haw:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So some Republicans are burning their voter registration cards in protest of a Trump nomination. Who knows how representative of the electorate this is, but drat is it fun to watch.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

also i apologize: i just posted a joke about the south in the uspol thread. please do not take this as an opportunity to start lecturing me that most of the black people in america live in the south, i'm well aware, i'm one of them

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Zelder posted:

also i apologize: i just posted a joke about the south in the uspol thread. please do not take this as an opportunity to start lecturing me that most of the black people in america live in the south, i'm well aware, i'm one of them

You racist!

Clinton will most likely win if nothing truly exciting happens. Though this will at least be an election and a show.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

SquadronROE posted:

If you'll remember, the III%ers are all cowards, they didn't show up to their great revolution when people were begging them to, they probably won't now.
The "revolution" was televised livestreamed, and it amounted to a wet fart. Lavoy Finicium died via suicide by cop, and everyone else in the "revolution" was arrested, and are going to be getting hilariously long prison sentences.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

showbiz_liz posted:

God I want Georgia to flip so loving bad I can taste it

speaking as a georgian i doubt it. trump didn't do as well as he could have because of georgia's relatively early primary but he edged out a win in gwinnett county, which leads me to believe he may be able to swing the populous purple suburban counties. he barely lost cobb to rubio. then again the burbs are getting denser and more racially diverse

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I do predict a couple of hilarious red/blue state flips.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lol I just realized, Trump has a real shot at receiving the least amount of electoral votes by a Republican nominee since Goldwater in 1964. The only two guys that even come close to edging him out with slightly less were dealing with Ross Perot siphoning off their votes in a 3 way race.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
How are the house and senate looking so far? If republicans hold on to congress I don't expect Clinton to get anything done, and she is more hawkish.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

showbiz_liz posted:

My roommate is third-gen Cuban and has been talking a lot about this. Basically his grandparents' generation are solidly Cruz and will probably go for Trump now, but he doesn't know any Cubans his age or even many his parents' age who feel the same way.

Yeah the days of even the GOP placating the Flight 455 terrorists and their supporters are done, no one even cares about the Marielitos anymore.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

speaking as a georgian i doubt it. trump didn't do as well as he could have because of georgia's relatively early primary but he edged out a win in gwinnett county, which leads me to believe he may be able to swing the populous purple suburban counties. he barely lost cobb to rubio. then again the burbs are getting denser and more racially diverse

My husband's family is intimately involved in Georgia politics and you would be surprised how diverse even the rural areas are becoming, especially when it comes to South Asians.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 4, 2016

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you mean like in 08 and 12 when a black man strode confidently into the white house and the racist mobs did nothing but make veiled threats about dry powder on facebook for four years

these people are cowards

Those people had not yet had their monstrous views legitimized by a mainstream candidate yet, also they never liked McCain or Romney whereas to them Trump is Orange Jesus.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

I dunno why everyone is so interested in this primary poo poo as Obama is undoubtedly setting into motion his sinister plan to be president forever.

I'm going to throw in a bit of gloating about that, we've been hearing for sixteen years of Democratic presidency (counting Bill) that they're going to destroy democracy and declare themselves dictators. It hasn't happened yet, which is a shame, Bill looked real swanky in his white military suit in that one Onion article.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Torpor posted:

How are the house and senate looking so far? If republicans hold on to congress I don't expect Clinton to get anything done, and she is more hawkish.

Lookin' pretty good

quote:

Republicans can afford to lose only a net of three Senate seats to hold their majority, and the party is already defending seven states — Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Florida, and Iowa — that President Barack Obama won twice.

With Trump, though, many Republicans become despondent. One Senate campaign veteran last month estimated that the party had a 75 percent chance of losing the majority. Another put the odds at 80 percent.

“I’m not saying people cannot win with him at top of the ticket, but remember how challenging Todd Akin was? That would look like child’s play compared to what we’re about to deal with with Trump,” Rob Jesmer, the former executive director of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, said in early March. (Akin was the failed 2012 Missouri Senate Republican candidate of "legitimate rape" infamy.)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

A transgender woman was verbally attacked by a woman on the NYC subway, and she caught it all on film.

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/727882871331913728

Also,

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

It might not have played well with the general populace, but Biden's refusal to give a poo poo even through the election process was one of the best parts of 2012.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bunleigh posted:

Those people had not yet had their monstrous views legitimized by a mainstream candidate yet, also they never liked McCain or Romney whereas to them Trump is Orange Jesus.

who do you think palin was

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

It might not have played well with the general populace, but Biden's refusal to give a poo poo even through the election process was one of the best parts of 2012.

I'm still a bit disappointed that "a bunch of stuff" never became a big catchphrase.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hillary Clinton demonstrated during the HUAC Benghazi Committtee hearings that she's at her best dunking on retards. I'm licking my chops imagining her placidly listening as Trump spouts incoherent insanity.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

I do predict a couple of hilarious red/blue state flips.

Trump was only +2 v Clinton here in Texas v:shobon:v

Sure, it was last September, but lol anyway. Also that it was 39-37

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Torpor posted:

This talking point is loving dumb.

Cubans are less than 30% of Latinos in Florida.. Even Miami's Latino population is only barely Cuban-majority at this point.

And even the Cubans in Florida don't like Trump.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zelder posted:

There are also white people in the south. Why don't we think about the white people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjGv6exoKkw

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When you have a male politician facing off against a female opponent, the man is usually cautioned not to go too hard vs the woman in debates because the conventional wisdom is that the American electorate think it looks bad for a man to (publicly) treat women like that.

Trump has subverted a lot of conventional wisdom already, let's see if he subverts this one too.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Torpor posted:

Senate's going to go back to the Dems, whether or not it's a huge turnover (enough to make sure that 2018 won't see the Senate go back to the GOP) depends on which Republican senators in competitive races bend the knee to Trump, how he treats those who don't, and if any significant number of Republicans show up to vote downticket and abstain from the top of the ballot, The House is gerrymandered to all hell so basically expect some small gains there but not nearly enough to actually mean anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

showbiz_liz posted:

(and yes I know we elected Bush twice,...)

About that

• Locked thread