Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm surprised no one got tucked up after refusing Alfred's chipolatas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Crazy Barbara is the best and now we're gonna get crazy lesbian shenannigans again!

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

Crazy Barb has always been a loving delight.

Keep shooting his armoured chest plate Jim, not like his head his exposed or anything. Just empty another clip.

That drove me insane while watching. They showed every single bullet fired end up in freeze's chest. If they're that good of shots that all of their bullets grouped in the same place, at least one of them would have the sense to adjust their aim a little higher and get him in the head. Without even trying, just randomly spraying a hundred rounds in that general direction would have at least grazed his head at some point.

Other than that tho, better than the average Gotham episode.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It was a missed opportunity, because they could have shown the bullet either deflecting off of Freeze's temple because his body is permafrozen to a consistency like concrete, or have it blow off a chunk of his skull, only to have the wound immediately ice over and heal.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

They could've just given him a helmet. Even a glass dome type thing like from the cartoon and said it was made of bullet proof glass.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

McPhearson posted:

They could've just given him a helmet. Even a glass dome type thing like from the cartoon and said it was made of bullet proof glass.

The costume looked like it was supposed to have helmet, imo. My guess is they tried one, but couldn't get it to film well and took it off. Helmets are notoriously lovely to film around.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

The costume looked like it was supposed to have helmet, imo. My guess is they tried one, but couldn't get it to film well and took it off. Helmets are notoriously lovely to film around.

That, or they realized too late that it just plain looked dumb. It's easy to draw a helmet that looks OK in the animated Batman series because the stylized art design means that you can get away with just about anything, as long as it's simple with smooth lines and easy curves. But for live action, you have to inject some amount of realism and/or plausibility into it, and that means making it look like it's actually doing something. This being Gotham and not a cartoon or cartoonish live-action film, you have even less room for silly, corny-looking props; you'll need pipes, valves, and a bunch of stuff. Then you have to light the face.

And then, you've got a mess. And then, the director tells the guy to take the helmet off.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They could have avoided the glass done reflection issue if they made it super foggy/frosted glass. That cool frosting where you see the snowflake shapes as the ice covers the glass. Just have it clear up near the guy's face so he can emote.

Ah well this show's been killing it lately, I can forgive one costume

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Weren't we supposed to get a new episode tonight? loving hell, Fox.

Also, Freeze doesn't need a helmet because Gotham cops that aren't Jim Gordon can't shoot for poo poo. I mean, remember Zsasz last season?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Bruce was eyeing up Azrael jumping about and rockin' a cape pretty drat hard.

And poor Penguin is looking just a biiiit hosed up at this point.

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 3, 2016

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
I loved how stoked Galavan looked when they were feeding him his Azrael backstory. Like :haw:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
With a sword and armor, Galavan is even more like Galavant. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GCPD headquarters is weird as hell, they have rooftop parking?

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Rhyno posted:

GCPD headquarters is weird as hell, they have rooftop parking?

If the first season back when they had a Major Crimes division there was also some parking garage type thing next to it. Zzasz chased Gordan through it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Grinning Goblin posted:

If the first season back when they had a Major Crimes division there was also some parking garage type thing next to it. Zzasz chased Gordan through it.

There are many things to fault the city of Gotham for. Insane crime rates, police deaths higher than anywhere in the country, abysmal mental health and corruption at the highest levels of government.

But a lack of parking isn't one of them. This is a city that's got its priorities straight.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I liked the very on the nose Mad Hatter reference.

Also, seeing Bruce silently take pointers from Galavan bailing on the cops was pretty neat.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hatelull posted:

I liked the very on the nose Mad Hatter reference.

Also, seeing Bruce silently take pointers from Galavan bailing on the cops was pretty neat.

Yeah you can really see his gears turning "I wonder if this will be formative in some way...... nah, cool cape though I should start rock climbing."

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Penguin's range of mouth twitches when he saw Gallavan was my highlight, that mix of confusion, realisation, rage and vengeance was beautiful. He's gonna go all out

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Really liked that ep. Didn't expect Azrael to be sort of proto-Batman. Dig it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah you can really see his gears turning "I wonder if this will be formative in some way...... nah, cool cape though I should start rock climbing."

There was also the scene earlier in the episode where he laid out why he should be Batman when complaining about how they know Strange is behind everything but the law won't do anything about it.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Mayor Gallavan at some point was very proto-"Bruce Wayne mask" persona.

Didn't expect he would revive and also fill the role of proto-Batman but hey that's why Gotham is so stupid fun.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Gotham Season 2 has been so fun for me that I'm really hoping that Season 3 keeps going this way. I almost wouldn't be surprised if Bruce didn't carry on with something akin to the Damien Wayne Robin outfit next season to be a secret crime fighter himself.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
This show is pretty good now.

So in this version of Batman, when Bruce actually becomes The Bat, I'm going to find it hard to believe that Gordon would not know who he is giving all the time that he spends with him and all of Bruce's pointed conversations.

In a weird way that might make future Batman working with Commissioner Gordon on the sly more believable though.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

imperialparadox posted:

So in this version of Batman, when Bruce actually becomes The Bat, I'm going to find it hard to believe that Gordon would not know who he is giving all the time that he spends with him and all of Bruce's pointed conversations.

In a weird way that might make future Batman working with Commissioner Gordon on the sly more believable though.

Usually the best portrayals of Gordon are when he clearly knows who Batman is but never acknowledges it, so this is a good direction to go.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

imperialparadox posted:

I'm not super into the various batman storylines, arcs, and origins but somewhere hasn't it been implied that Gordon has always known or had a suspicion to some degree who Batman really is? Another alternative is to take the Batman Begins route and have Wayne simply disappear for the bulk of his late teens and early 20's, then roll back into town as the rear end in a top hat playboy with super secret ninja assassin skills.

But I honestly doubt it will come to that. Does FOX really think this series has legs and could stretch all the way to him becoming Batman and the series migrating to funky live version of the animated series?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hatelull posted:

But I honestly doubt it will come to that. Does FOX really think this series has legs and could stretch all the way to him becoming Batman and the series migrating to funky live version of the animated series?

There was a rumor that they were going to jump 5 years between season 1 and 2 so they could get to Batmaning stuff faster but I prefer where it's going now.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rhyno posted:

There was a rumor that they were going to jump 5 years between season 1 and 2 so they could get to Batmaning stuff faster but I prefer where it's going now.

That would be kind of a shame. We're already awash in Batman stories, this is an interesting look at a lesser-told part of his story. Plus it would likely age Mazouz and Bicondova out of their roles, and I like what they're doing more than I'd like a true Batman TV show.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Yeah, I'm finding this pre-Batman stuff way more interesting, because there are plenty of other sources for Batman stories. I wouldn't mind if the show lasts long enough and continues into Bruce actually becoming Batman, but I imagine the show will end before then - even if it has the ratings I'm thinking that whoever is in charge wouldn't want a TV show competing with the "movie Batman" property.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I could see the final shot of the show being Bruce suiting up for the first time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Probably. Unless it goes on for too many seasons and they run out of story ideas.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Zero One posted:

Probably. Unless it goes on for too many seasons and they run out of story ideas.

Or, if the actor playing Bruce turns out to be one of those boy-men who seem to age to a certain point, but forever look like teenagers no matter how old they get. (It's called Michael J. Fox syndrome.)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

muscles like this? posted:

I could see the final shot of the show being Bruce suiting up for the first time.

gently caress that. We don't need another Smallville.

What age is Bruce at in the show just now anyway? It would be good to do a small time skip after this season to push him on a few years so we can see him getting into more aggressive training that's not just sparring with his butler. There's also, only so much you can do after you've made the villains 'rise', like are you going to make them rise again, are you going to continue to show how ineffective GCPD are at stopping them, are we going to have a costumed villain gangwar?

I think there should be 6 seasons of this, with 2 seasons covering one act of three.

The first act should cover the origin of all things bad in the city (which it's doing pretty damned well), the second act should focus on the development of the solution (significantly more Bruce training) and the embedding of the problem (villains are now well into their stride, i.e. penguin is an established mob boss, Riddler is out hatching elaborate death traps and stealing poo poo, Mad Hatter is out kidnapping and murdering girls) and then the 3rd act should be the solution (Batman's origin and triumph over the villains).

Then, if need be, we get a new dedicated Batman TV series that carries on and introduces the whole bat family, etc and we all thoroughly enjoy it as it covers some of the major plotlines of the Batman comics over the last 30 years.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
The problem with the time shift is that while science has found a way to put a human through accelerated growth and aging bursts using a sort-of "aging ray gun", it's not covered by the production company's HMO plan, the only provider is out-of-network, and the IRS won't allow FSA or HSA funds to pay for it. Nobody's paying out-of-pocket to quasi-magically hyper-age the young actor who plays Bruce Wayne in order to make such a time skip work properly.

We've seen him age in the two seasons the show's been on the air. People would notice that he hadn't aged a day in the two or three years that had instantaneously passed on the series' timeline.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
My fiancée and I have been following along (with the threads as well as the show) since it aired and it has really transitioned from this awful thing we watched to make fun of to a pretty solid show.

I really like the idea that Gordon would know who Batman really is since otherwise he would have to be pretty thick so this backstory is cool with me. This most recent episode was one of the first in a while that when it finished we just looked at each other and commented that was really good. I'm excited for the last few episodes.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
GO TO THE BAT CAVE

E: Okay yes that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kin posted:

gently caress that. We don't need another Smallville.

What age is Bruce at in the show just now anyway? It would be good to do a small time skip after this season to push him on a few years so we can see him getting into more aggressive training that's not just sparring with his butler. There's also, only so much you can do after you've made the villains 'rise', like are you going to make them rise again, are you going to continue to show how ineffective GCPD are at stopping them, are we going to have a costumed villain gangwar?

I think there should be 6 seasons of this, with 2 seasons covering one act of three.

The first act should cover the origin of all things bad in the city (which it's doing pretty damned well), the second act should focus on the development of the solution (significantly more Bruce training) and the embedding of the problem (villains are now well into their stride, i.e. penguin is an established mob boss, Riddler is out hatching elaborate death traps and stealing poo poo, Mad Hatter is out kidnapping and murdering girls) and then the 3rd act should be the solution (Batman's origin and triumph over the villains).

Then, if need be, we get a new dedicated Batman TV series that carries on and introduces the whole bat family, etc and we all thoroughly enjoy it as it covers some of the major plotlines of the Batman comics over the last 30 years.

That would be perfect and that's exactly why it will never happen. Especially on FOX.

Do they have they have the same bullshit No tights rule like Smallville?

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
Gotham, thank you for the gift of guitar riffs and rocket launchers.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I laughed out loud with a giant smile on my face when the rocket launcher came out. Best end to a fun storyline. Gotham, I'm glad you grew up to be not complete poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CynCyanide posted:

Gotham, thank you for the gift of guitar riffs and rocket launchers.

yeah, that was the best way they could have ended that arc.

Fifteen of Many posted:

I laughed out loud with a giant smile on my face when the rocket launcher came out. Best end to a fun storyline. Gotham, I'm glad you grew up to be not complete poo poo.

I watch this show with my dad and he lost his poo poo when butch came around the corner with the rocket launcher and blew him into chuncks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I appreciate the sheer, beautiful doofiness of Penguin threatening to shove his umbrella up Galavan's rear end, then having Butch (who like Malcolm Merlyn over on Arrow seems to have just spontaneously sprouted a cybernetic hand with no attention paid to it) blow him straight out of his armored booties with a loving rocket launcher.

This show is really at its best when it just embraces its absurdity.

• Locked thread