Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Alright. Just dug through the thread and found a functional download link if anyone's interested. Also, I definitely take back my statement about everyone being credited for their work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Rather Dashing posted:

Just want to point out that GOG often put a huge amount of effort into getting old games working, as described in this excellent article on the aforementioned evil RPS. They don't just pick up games that are already working. I remember it took them a couple of years, I think, to put out Carmageddon 2 for modern systems after picking up the rights as the thing was a mess.
Also wanted to note that it wasn't my intent to imply the bolded - just that what they put up works, which is frequently more than I can say for DOS or old Windows games on Steam.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

They had me at that super-auto shotgun at 2:30, or whatever the gently caress that is.

Good golly :allears:

Anyway,

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Typing in IDKFA in Demonsteele is supposed to give you BD weapons as welll... Right?

:confuoot:

Is this normal behaviour? Is my copy of Doom/Demonsteele/BD.... haunted?!? :iiam:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I just realized that I tend to opt for CCMD cheats like "GIVE WEAPONS", "GOD" or "NOCLIP" over typing in the old classic IDKFA/IDDQD/IDSPISPOPD or similar when playing in GZDoom.

Not sure how to feel about that.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

I just realized that I tend to opt for CCMD cheats like "GIVE WEAPONS", "GOD" or "NOCLIP" over typing in the old classic IDKFA/IDDQD/IDSPISPOPD or similar when playing in GZDoom.

idk, I still to this day gently caress up and type idkfa in Heretic sometimes, never gets old

hope Doom 2016 has some trolly thing happen if you do that. hope even more that Heretic gets a reboot next, surely Raven has earned enough from CoD DLCs to do something original again?

e: or Human Head would make more sense, I guess

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Is this normal behaviour? Is my copy of Doom/Demonsteele/BD.... haunted?!? :iiam:
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say you've either got some launcher code you forgot about or you forgot to clear ZDL's external files.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Shadow Hog posted:

I used to know cheats to Doom/Duke/Quake better than names of my classmates. Nowadays I only remember idkfa and iddqd, so whenever I get stuck in some vast Duke3D map, I type those cheats via muscle memory and stare blankly at monitor, marvelling at my bad memory.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LogicalFallacy posted:

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say you've either got some launcher code you forgot about or you forgot to clear ZDL's external files.

Well, I play games on the same mac that I do audio work, they're just on two separate partitions. Last night, rather than reboot and load up my games partition, I tried to see if GZDoom would be able to be run from the audio side of things. It did, but this happened. I doubt it would have occurred if I had loaded it up normally. Some of the options were changed, too, like how shift wasn't my dash key, ctrl was, and how my mouse wasn't set to be useable from the menu, when I've always set it to be.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Shadow Hog posted:

Also wanted to note that it wasn't my intent to imply the bolded - just that what they put up works, which is frequently more than I can say for DOS or old Windows games on Steam.

My bad. Glad it gave me the reminder to revisit the article at any rate :)

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Well, I play games on the same mac that I do audio work, they're just on two separate partitions.
I'm going to be mildly elitist here and say that part of your problem is that your playing games on a mac.:colbert:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Any tips for running Jedi Knight on Windows 10? I finally got 3D Acceleration to work using something called dgVoodoo (was getting crashes, or HUD + black screen before that). The game still looks a bit choppy though. Is it pretty much locked at ~30fps or can that be improved?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

laserghost posted:

I used to know cheats to Doom/Duke/Quake better than names of my classmates. Nowadays I only remember idkfa and iddqd, so whenever I get stuck in some vast Duke3D map, I type those cheats via muscle memory and stare blankly at monitor, marvelling at my bad memory.

The codes I remember:

DOOM: IDDQD, IDKFA, IDCLIP

DARK FORCES: LAPOSTAL (Who remembers what that did and was referencing? :D)

JEDI KNIGHT: ERIAMJH (The flight cheat), THEREISNOTRY (invincibility or level skip? Can't remember.)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

RickVoid posted:

The codes I remember:

DOOM: IDDQD, IDKFA, IDCLIP

JEDI KNIGHT: ERIAMJH (The flight cheat), THEREISNOTRY (invincibility or level skip? Can't remember.)

eriamjh is locked in my memory since it's jibberish you had to remember the spelling for. I think it's an acronym for something but I forget.

thereisnotry is level skip, invincibility is jediwannabe 0/1 if I recall correctly. red5 for all weapons and wamprat for all items.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Eriamjh is a misspelled reference to Terry Gilliam's Brazil

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I remember making a batch file for Wolfenstein 3D to start the game automatically with the -goobers argument.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I remember jamming LIM over and over again to beat the whole game. I was terrible at Wolfenstein.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Convex posted:

I remember jamming LIM over and over again to beat the whole game. I was terrible at Wolfenstein.

:respek: I had floppy with savegames from my friend who completed the whole game, it was weird loading one of them and finding yourself in room full of corpses, with ominous boss music playing in background. Of course, in the next room there was a boss, ready to wipe the floor with 7-year old me. Good times.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I remember Doom's cheats pretty well:
  • IDDQD for [strike]God[/strike] Degreelessness Mode.
  • IDKFA for all keys, all weapons and full ammo.
  • IDFA for just all weapons and full ammo.
  • IDBEHOLDx for various powerups (where "x" was any one of the letters the prompt informed you of after typing "IDBEHOLD").
  • IDSPISPOPD for noclip in Doom.
  • IDCLIP for noclip in Doom 2, because that Usenet "Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles of Putrid Debris" in-joke was lost on everybody who didn't use Usenet.
  • IDCHOPPERS for a chainsaw.
  • IDCLEVen for level select (where in Doom "e" is an episode number and "n" a map in that episode, while in Doom 2 and later "en" is just a two-digit number from 01 to 32).
  • IDMUSen for music change (see IDCLEV for en's meaning).
  • And the one I still actively use all the time: IDDT in the automap to show all lines, and IDDT in the automap again to show all Things as well. (Faster than pulling down the console and typing in AM_CHEAT x, anyway.)
I can't remember cheats for any other Doom engine game, though I know almost all these work in Heretic (in the sense that they all punish you for trying to use Doom cheats in Heretic).

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

thanks, dude, duke nukem. :)

GUI fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 4, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

This mod was clearly the reason why DUMP was required to not modify the weapons or monsters - so this masterpiece can modify them instead.

(But seriously, Hardcore Doom Wars meets either DUMP sounds hilarious and painful.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LogicalFallacy posted:

I'm going to be mildly elitist here and say that part of your problem is that your playing games on a mac.:colbert:

Hey man, with GZDoom, we're all equals.

:glomp:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Does Chocolate Doom normalize audio or something? I'm noticing that music is louder when sound is quiet and vice versa :confused:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Are you sure you're not just imagining it...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
For whatever reason I still remember the Turok 2 super cheat BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

NTHGTHDGDCRTDTRK

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

RyokoTK posted:

For whatever reason I still remember the Turok 2 super cheat BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND.
I remember two of the Descent cheats because my neighbor made a song out them when he brought over the printout (possibly from a BBS!)
Gabba gabba hey, farmer joe... :banjo:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Linguica posted:

Are you sure you're not just imagining it...

I must be, because I can't seem to reproduce it at all... Nevermind!

I'm giving Cyberdreams another shot and holy poo poo the level with the huge circular elevator is some goddamn bullshit! :argh:

Edit:

Shadow Hog posted:

NTHGTHDGDCRTDTRK

Trivia that everyone probably knows already: the cheats in the first Turok game are just phrases spelled only with the letters available in the game's cheat menu. This one is "On the eighth day, God created Turok."

My favorites are Disco Mode (SNFFRR) and Fly Mode (essentially no-clip, LKMBRD), which stand for "Saturday night fever forever" and "Like my bird?" respectively.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 5, 2016

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
While we're talking cheats, Shadows of the Empire for N64 had a ridiculous one that required holding down all of the buttons on the controller (pushing them down in a certain order!) and then carefully manipulating the directional stick like a loving dial on a safe. Once you figure out the only possible way to hold the controller in order for your fingers to reach the required buttons, you are basically forced to use your tongue to manipulate the stick. That loving game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RickVoid posted:

While we're talking cheats, Shadows of the Empire for N64 had a ridiculous one that required holding down all of the buttons on the controller (pushing them down in a certain order!) and then carefully manipulating the directional stick like a loving dial on a safe. Once you figure out the only possible way to hold the controller in order for your fingers to reach the required buttons, you are basically forced to use your tongue to manipulate the stick. That loving game.

Counterpoint: WAMPA STOMPA

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

RickVoid posted:

I do!

Others I remember:

LAREDLITE
LAPOGO
LAIMLAME

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

Trivia that everyone probably knows already: the cheats in the first Turok game are just phrases spelled only with the letters available in the game's cheat menu. This one is "On the eighth day, God created Turok."
Yeah, that's how I wrote it. Didn't play Turok back in the day (no N64 at the time - hell, little interest in FPS titles at the time, that came later), I just remembered it had this ridiculous cheat code that nobody could easily remember until somebody pointed out it was some phrase without vowels.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shadow Hog posted:

Yeah, that's how I wrote it. Didn't play Turok back in the day (no N64 at the time - hell, little interest in FPS titles at the time, that came later), I just remembered it had this ridiculous cheat code that nobody could easily remember until somebody pointed out it was some phrase without vowels.

Us real Turok fans memorized all the codes before we found that out :colbert:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Let us never forget the classic Carmageddon debug mode code, IBETYOUCANTPRINTCUNT

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
There's an Amiga top-down shooter game called Alien Breed that had all sorts of inappropriate cheat codes. The code to make the aliens run away from you was ALIENS ARE FAGGOTS

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

RickVoid posted:

To be fair, the debug code was probably easier to input on the prototype n64 controller that used, which was reportedly an SNES controller and a seperate joystick.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Segmentation Fault posted:

There's an Amiga top-down shooter game called Alien Breed that had all sorts of inappropriate cheat codes. The code to make the aliens run away from you was ALIENS ARE FAGGOTS

There are even more, khem, "colourful": http://www.gamefaqs.com/amiga/926390-alien-breed/cheats on the side note, it's the same company that made Worms.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I might be thinking of a different game but I think Shadows of the Empire is the one where Nintendo made the developers stick their hands into a box to operate the prototype N64 controller because they didn't want people seeing it and stealing/leaking their design.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

laserghost posted:

There are even more, khem, "colourful": http://www.gamefaqs.com/amiga/926390-alien-breed/cheats on the side note, it's the same company that made Worms.

quote:

ST EMULATOR | Degraded graphics

Hahah

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I might be thinking of a different game but I think Shadows of the Empire is the one where Nintendo made the developers stick their hands into a box to operate the prototype N64 controller because they didn't want people seeing it and stealing/leaking their design.

This is actually because, by this point, Nintendo knew the N64 controller was a stupid piece of poo poo and they were petrified of losing flagship developers by needlessly exposing them to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

laserghost posted:

STEVIE WONDER makes the screen purple and BLIMEY GUVNOR LOOK AT THE SIZE OF HIS JOHN THOMAS gives player 2 unlimited energy, holy poo poo these cheats are great.