Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Do it ironically posted:

yes I'm sure the residents of fort mac will be able to convvince China and the US to significantly cut down their fossil fuel emissions, they've been enlightened

Canadians are uniquely bad compared to other western nations in terms of connecting knowledge of climate change's effects to concern over the issue (granted the confidence intervals are large):

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nclimate2997.html

It might be exactly your kind of half-assed rationalizations and Canada's relatively small size that let Canadians feel ok about ignoring climate change despite some of the highest per-capita emissions in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

EvilJoven posted:

Oh look the perfect time to reveal the Canada Summer Games mascot.

It's a kitty! :3:

Actually it's a magical creature created by the summer heat! :kingsley:

Name it McMurray.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

TheKingofSprings posted:

One CI is enough thanks

Why would you value the life of a pet over a person? No people died? That's great, some animals died? that's life.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Nocturtle posted:

Canadians are uniquely bad compared to other western nations in terms of connecting knowledge of climate change's effects to concern over the issue (granted the confidence intervals are large):

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nclimate2997.html

It might be exactly your kind of half-assed rationalizations and Canada's relatively small size that let Canadians feel ok about ignoring climate change despite some of the highest per-capita emissions in the world.

As we saw in that story upthread some local politicians will openly boast about how climate change will favour Alberta and increase their property values (because it always comes back to home equity).

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

jm20 posted:

Why would you value the life of a pet over a person? No people died? That's great, some animals died? that's life.

You're not wrong but it's still funny that you're apparently the kind of guy who would go out of your way to say "who cares about animals" when all the person is doing is expressing fairly mild sadness over the internet that a whole lot of cuddly furry critters just got cooked alive.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

jm20 posted:

Who cares about animals

Hey, Albertans are people too.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

This guy is still in custody, right?
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crime/father-of-accused-alberta-arsonist-shocked-at-arrest

quote:

Mayerthorpe RCMP announced on the weekend they had arrested and charged Lawson Michael Schalm, 19, with 18 counts of arson, including a dramatic fire that destroyed a CN Rail wooden trestle bridge. He’s being held in custody and is scheduled to appear in Stony Plain provincial court Wednesday.
Just checking.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Helsing posted:

You're not wrong but it's still funny that you're apparently the kind of guy who would go out of your way to say "who cares about animals" when all the person is doing is expressing fairly mild sadness over the internet that a whole lot of cuddly furry critters just got cooked alive.

Guys an entire town burned to the ground, people are widely displaced and there is limited food/fuel nearby, but think of the cute animals who may have died :qq:

Sorry if empathy for a #firstworldproblem of losing a pet doesn't rank very high in comparison to the human calamity underway.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
No one cares, tough guy

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
My heart goes out to all the fluffy pomeranians with prancy legs who go up in a ball of flame because their owners couldn't possibly fit them into their oversize trucks

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Name it McMurray.

:vince:

Brannock posted:

My heart goes out to all the fluffy pomeranians with prancy legs who go up in a ball of flame because their owners couldn't possibly fit them into their oversize trucks

Yeah, this is the part I don't understand. With the possible exception of, "my house is on fire right now and I have to choose between evacuating my child or my dog," who leaves their pet behind to near certain death in a wildfire? Are we talking about families without personal vehicles that had to leave by bus or some such, because I just can't imagine telling my dog, "Well, it's been fun but I really need that space for my Playstation 4. Bye!"

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 4, 2016

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

jm20 posted:

I care more about the pets than the possessions, houses or oil employment of people in Fort Mac :shrug:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Tighclops posted:

No one cares, tough guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWc6aF6aMQ8

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PhilippAchtel posted:

Yeah, this is the part I don't understand. With the possible exception of, "my house is on fire right now and I have ton choose between evacuating my child or my dog," who leaves their pet behind to near certain death in a wildfire? Are we talking about families without personal vehicles that had to leave by bus or some such, because I just can't imagine telling my dog, "Well, it's been fun but I really need tha t space for my Playstation 4. Bye!"

No, but "The civil authority is ordering us to leave right now and we aren't allowed to back home/inside to retrieve anything" sounds like something that could definitely happen.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Wouldn't they just use the same protocol as if someone had a family member at home?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Guys an entire town burned to the ground, people are widely displaced and there is limited food/fuel nearby, but think of the cute animals who may have died :qq:

Sorry if empathy for a #firstworldproblem of losing a pet doesn't rank very high in comparison to the human calamity underway.

Weird. I kill and eat animals recreationally and I still feel bad for ones that got burned alive, seems like a painful way to go.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch

PhilippAchtel posted:

:vince:

Yeah, this is the part I don't understand. With the possible exception of, "my house is on fire right now and I have to choose between evacuating my child or my dog," who leaves their pet behind to near certain death in a wildfire? Are we talking about families without personal vehicles that had to leave by bus or some such, because I just can't imagine telling my dog, "Well, it's been fun but I really need that space for my Playstation 4. Bye!"

"Why hello Mr/Mrs. Fireman/Policeman/Armyman contending with mass panic of tens of thousands of people and trying to save people's lives from a fiery death, you won't mind if I drive toward the fire to go get my cat/dog/gecko/goldfish? It's really important to me, for you see I

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
As much as I too am sad for the pets that probably died in the Fort Mac fire the reveal of the perpetually burning cartoon kitty on today of all days is hilariously timed, as was the timing two posts that immediately followed it.

TBH for the rest of it if the fire takes the city wholesale in the long run it'll probably be a net benefit to the entire country and possibly even the residents as most house and car insurance covers loss due to wildfire. At least now they aren't stuck with a house in a town with a single supporting industry that's in decline.

For those that didn't have insurance, bummer.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

jm20 posted:

Did you not read the first sentence, where I clearly said that I was glad there were no reports of human casualties, and hoped that it stayed that way?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
All the dead family pets in FM should serve as a stark reminder to retarded people what happens when they adopt pets.

Jesus loving christ stop letting dumb assholes adopt animals

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ikantski posted:

Weird. I kill and eat animals recreationally and I still feel bad for ones that got burned alive, seems like a painful way to go.

Actually your nerve endings will burn off quickly so you will feel nothing

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Fried Watermelon posted:

Actually your nerve endings will burn off quickly so you will feel nothing

"Burning to death. After all your nerve endings burn off, it's really not that bad."

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

They're saying 1600 homes destroyed in Fort McMurray.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/catastrophic-fort-mcmurray-wildfire-surpasses-10-000-hectares-1.3566310

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

jm20 posted:

animals burning to death and people losing their homes are both Bad and you're allowed to Feel Bad about both of those things at the same time

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Always remember that suffering is not a zero sum game. Suffering is infinite :unsmigghh:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gotta hand it to you, CanPol thread, I cam here after hearing about Fort Mac expecting to see schadenfreude about oil workers but you upped your game with the pet thing.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Maybe if they didn't dig up all that tar sands they wouldn't be on fire.

makes u think

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

jm20 posted:

Are you a loving computer who can't put do multiple things at once? Must be great to only feel bad about one thing at a time.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
all these alligator tears for a bunch of nouveau riche tory voting assholes

sorry i don't have time

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Stretch Marx posted:

Are you a loving computer who can't put do multiple things at once? Must be great to only feel bad about one thing at a time.

This, basically. Everything that's happening in Ft. Mac is pretty bad at the moment.

Also, I can't decide if your avatar or the kitty-on-fire mascot is more germane to the discussion at hand :v:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Once Fort Mac finishes burning to the ground and all the oil companies just shrug and shut down FIRE will literally be all that's left. :v:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
The animal rights activists that care only about pets, but not other animals that die is great. I wonder where bird strikes rank in terms of the care meter for you fair weather activists. Probably nowhere, but what if they were pet Macaws? I bet you guys would be up in arms about the dead pets :qq:

Stretch Marx posted:

Multitasking is for suckers, sorry to tell you

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I feel bad for the people losing their homes, but no one has been hurt or killed and it's just "things" being destroyed which can always be rebuilt/have insurance paid out for, so I'm okay feeling a tiny little bit of schadenfreude as this is a town built around the destruction of our environment for quick cash. Sucks about the pets though, contrary to the poster above I'm sure burning to death actually is a pretty lovely way to go :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah much as I sympathize with my friends out there whose houses have burned down, I'm not sorry the city is gone. The "poors " in Fort mac are still better off than a lot of people elsewhere. Also it is Damm satisfying seeing an oil town go up in smoke.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
What's the likelihood that the Fort McMurray fire was man-made? I'm looking at time-lapses of it, and it seems like it was started unusually close to the town just to start with.

Edit: I guess that's kind of why there is such a "disaster" level of hurry to it. If the fire was further out and was slowly working its way towards the town, there would've been enough advance notice to leave ahead of time. By any account I've found, the fire popped up suddenly, already near the city limits, without any forewarning.

Morroque fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 4, 2016

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Morroque posted:

What's the likelihood that the Fort McMurray fire was man-made? I'm looking at time-lapses of it, and it seems like it was started unusually close to the town just to start with.

100% because climate change is caused by mans.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
A lot of fires end up being man made.

Some guy flicks a butt out his window, or a quad sparks it up, or a campfire triggers it, or sparks from a passing trains wheels.

Also ya climate change plus fifty years of dealing with forest fires by not letting anything burn ever which has resulted in tons of dead wood on the forest floor means the entire continent is basically more prone to wildfires.

Canada has a housing bubble and a forest fire bubble and we aren't going to let either pop.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 4, 2016

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
On the plus side, next year is gonna be great for mushroom gathering

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

jm20 posted:

We could use a few less humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

CLAM DOWN posted:

contrary to the poster above I'm sure burning to death actually is a pretty lovely way to go :(

He didn't say that. He said that fire burns out the nerve endings.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

We could use a few less humans.

Westerners are already sub-replacement for reproduction. Should turn your Eye of Sauron elsewhere if that's your desired outcome.