Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Charming doesn't make you immune to a charmed enemies bullets so have a big enemy charmed and still firing all over the place doesn't help you. Charmed bow sucks

It actually helps you a lot if you have cover since that big enemy will rapidly melt every other enemy in the room :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Even fully drawn I feel like I've gotten like a 50/50 chance to charm on hitting enemies with the charmed bow, although barring extreme circumstances I'm never using it. imo it's better as a muncher ingredient than a weapon.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I finally met my very first Jammed boss, after 53 hours of play. It only took me:

1. Finding a Cursula on a floor and buying items from her, to
2. enter the Demon Face on that same floor, which had a SECOND Cursula inside... somehow, and buying more items
3. Finding a secret room on chamber 4 which had three witches (also the very first time i found these), which took my weak guns and gave me a Serious Cannon (which i never used) and added even more curse.

And the very first jammed enemy i fight was... the Dragun. I didn't even notice until i thought "huh, these bullets seem weird, are they darker than before?".
Luckily, i had muscle relaxant + crossbow + shadow bullets + double vision. Only took like half my ammo to bring him into 2nd phase.

(Today, i also learned that you can recharge an active item faster than it can run out. I did such ridiculous damage that my Double Vision was recharged and reusable half-way through the duration. Did you know?)

And of course this is the time i flawless the boss.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I did a 9 curse run all the way to the 4th floor before I saw a jammed wallmonger. I would have gone the rest of the way but wallmonger dropped an excalibur and I didn't know picking it up would give me another curse point...

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I did a 9 curse run all the way to the 4th floor before I saw a jammed wallmonger. I would have gone the rest of the way but wallmonger dropped an excalibur and I didn't know picking it up would give me another curse point...

Couldn't you just drop the Excalibur?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

That won't take away your curse level, there's not much that can do that. Just certain shrines and the fairy fountain I think.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Lord of the Jammed wouldn't go away even after I dropped it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Lord of the Jammed wouldn't go away even after I dropped it

You either have to teleport away or go to the next floor, I don't remember which

NeonCowboy
Oct 9, 2009

I see y'all flashing, diamond, dancing, shining /
Keep your head up

Stanley Pain posted:

What's it like to have a broken brain? :shobon: You can just walk away from the game you know?

If you don't have a love-hate relationship with this game, I think your sanity is the questionable one.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Charming doesn't make you immune to a charmed enemies bullets

er, I think it does? maybe not the ones they already launched?

e: now I got hit by one. Maybe it's unpredictable

Zorodius fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 5, 2016

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.
Managed to kill the past with all four base characters. I hosed up the pilot's past the first time. It was definitely the coolest one, though.

From strongest to weakest, I'd rank the characters as: Convict > Hunter > Marine > Pilot.

The Pilot gets good runs sometimes, but that laser pistol is real bad. It's not just inaccurate, the range is lovely too. Turbo-firing seems to improve the RoF by about 15%, while the Convict and Hunter weapons benefit a lot more.

It's weird how differently some weapons react to turbo-fire. Like Shades' and Smiley's revolvers, one can turbo-fire and the other can't. I have no idea if it's intentional.

Is there a Contra S-gun tribute anywhere in the game? Seems like everything else you'd think of is in there.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Why do people think the Convict is the strongest? Maybe on the first floor the starting guns and Molotov help (unless you get the Bullet King as your boss) but to me it's all about the passives. The Marine's bonus reload speed and accuracy are huge benefits. Plus the supply drop is crucial with how stingy the game can be on ammo. After you get decent guns, what does the Convict have as benefits? A "get hit, get improved damage for about two seconds" passive?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Why do people think the Convict is the strongest?

They don't. Marine's generally seen as the best all-rounder.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NeonCowboy posted:

If you don't have a love-hate relationship with this game, I think your sanity is the questionable one.

I just walk away from the game when it get to the point where I'm no longer having fun, or something else comes along, or whatever else might tickle my ADD :shobon:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Seriously, if the game is giving you grief but you still want to play it then just cheat. Cheat your butt off. Cheat until your cheating butt is skulking in a corner of the room with its guilty eyes downcast.

It's a well-designed game that is dragged down by almost nothing except a prohibitively restrictive RNG and CheatEngine alleviates that. Once you get rid of the key starvation a lot of other pieces fall into place.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I tried the cheat engine, but the tutorial is on a whole new level of nerdery that I can't figure out. Couldn't get past floating points or integers or whatever. I'll just git gud in the meantime.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

lazorexplosion posted:

Install cheat engine.
Download the cheat table file in the OP here
Start Enter the Gungeon
Tab out, run the cheat table file
Click open process, choose EtG.exe, click open
Click yes keep the current code list
Click the check box for unlimited keys

Here's a very easy guide that should help for this game specifically. Don't need to even bother with the tutorial, just skip it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, the tutorial is for modifying the game's files on your own and it was so condescending that I wanted to smack the developer. The cheat tables load all that stuff up in advance so that all you have to do is check a box.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
I wasn't having much luck playing on PS4 (read: i'm bad) so i got it for my computer as well. Used the cheat engine for infinite keys and wow the game is fun now. I've done a couple runs using infinite ammo as it makes it much more enjoyable for a horrible player like me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
OK, so I finally managed to take down the boss of the Church of the True Gun - Thank you, shifty pig, your sacrifice was not in vain - so I got the item unlock. Is there EVER any reason for me to go down there or to the Oubliette?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Samovar posted:

OK, so I finally managed to take down the boss of the Church of the True Gun - Thank you, shifty pig, your sacrifice was not in vain - so I got the item unlock. Is there EVER any reason for me to go down there or to the Oubliette?

Only if you feel like you need those extra item chests.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Oubliette isnt bad. I usually go if I manage to get a surplus of keys on the first floor somehow.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The oubliette boss isn't hard.

I picked up a sponge before fighting the boss and I was pretty disappointed that soaking up the red goop doesn't do damage to him. Soaking it up or using water weapons on the goo should totally do some damage.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You should go to the Abbey because it's a Cool Place for Cool People.

I have literally never gotten an actual good item drop from the boss there though, it's usually some lovely active item.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
It sounds like a lot of you are starved for keys. In case anyone didn't know, keys are cheaper on earlier floors. So you should buy as many keys as possible on floor 1/2/maybe 3. And don't open brown chests unless you have more keys than you expect to use.

Following this plan, I don't usually find myself short on keys.

BJPaskoff posted:

Why do people think the Convict is the strongest? Maybe on the first floor the starting guns and Molotov help (unless you get the Bullet King as your boss) but to me it's all about the passives. The Marine's bonus reload speed and accuracy are huge benefits. Plus the supply drop is crucial with how stingy the game can be on ammo. After you get decent guns, what does the Convict have as benefits? A "get hit, get improved damage for about two seconds" passive?

If you spam-fire it, the Convict's revolver does way more DPS than the Marine's sidearm. That's the main reason. But the rage passive is really good, too. Ideally you don't get hit, but poo poo happens, and when it does you get something like double damage for ~3 seconds, which you can combo with your best weapons and active items for multiplicative benefit and ammo efficiency. Bosses melt.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
Did you guys see this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnterTheGungeon/comments/4hzyxz/you_maybe_should_use_your_starter_gun_for_half_of/d2u4pej?context=1

quote:

Wow... yes, you are correct, that is totally what is happening. This explains so much!

Really sorry about this guys, we're fixing it and this will be in our next patch. In the mean time, use your guns and see if your drop rate improves!

you can't roll standard ammo drops while holding your starter at the end of a room.

that explains a whole lot.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I don't even get why ammo drop chance would be linked at all to what weapon you're holding, but OK.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zorodius posted:

Did you guys see this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnterTheGungeon/comments/4hzyxz/you_maybe_should_use_your_starter_gun_for_half_of/d2u4pej?context=1

you can't roll standard ammo drops while holding your starter at the end of a room.

that explains a whole lot.

Pretty sure that's absolutely not true, since I have definitely gotten ammo packs on the first floor before picking up any weapons before.
Edit: Unless it changed in a recent patch or something.

Editedit: What I think is happening is that you have two different drops for each room, items and ammo. The item pool can drop any consumable item, ammo included, while the other only drops ammo, which is why you sometimes get 2 ammo drops from one room. I'm guessing the problem is with the second not triggering while having out the starter weapon.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 5, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Pretty sure that's absolutely not true, since I have definitely gotten ammo packs on the first floor before picking up any weapons before.
Edit: Unless it changed in a recent patch or something.

According to the post, you can find ammo drops with the starter gun, but only as part of the random loot drops (which is the thing that spawns you extra drops like hearts, keys, chests, etc.). The drops that this is referring to is the flat% ammo drop, which is being set to zero if you have an infinite ammo gun out when you finish the room (because it sees that you don't need ammo, and doesn't bother to drop any).

This explains so much, and I'll give the game a fair shot again without cheats to see how much better the ammo system is after the patch (I think the key system is pretty good where it is right now, if still stingy in the sense of not letting you open absolutely everything).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So there is supposed to be a separate chance for ammo to drop independent of the rising % chance to get any item at the end of a room?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Digirat posted:

So there is supposed to be a separate chance for ammo to drop independent of the rising % chance to get any item at the end of a room?

Yes. I have had many runs where I will get a standard room drop shortly followed by an ammo drop. This only happens when I finish a room with a gun that uses ammo.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SuicideSnowman posted:

I don't even get why ammo drop chance would be linked at all to what weapon you're holding, but OK.

Well it's a bug. The devs meant to make it so you don't get ammo drops when you only have infinite-ammo guns. But instead of checking your whole inventory it only looks at your currently held weapon.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I had noticed that I don't seem to get many ammo drops until I start using ammo-using guns, good to see that's why.

Also it confirms that there is a separate ammo drop roll so you should be using guns early and often :D

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

cumshitter posted:

The oubliette boss isn't hard.

I picked up a sponge before fighting the boss and I was pretty disappointed that soaking up the red goop doesn't do damage to him. Soaking it up or using water weapons on the goo should totally do some damage.

I wish that you could damage him by popping the smallest bloblets with a dodge roll when he does the breaking apart move.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Oubliette is cool and the boss is the easiest in the game but I hate shoving barrels around so I never go there unless I get a water gun and some extra keys.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

Jibo posted:

Oubliette is cool and the boss is the easiest in the game but I hate shoving barrels around so I never go there unless I get a water gun and some extra keys.

Devs said in the next update there will be a guaranteed water barrel spawn in the fireplace room as long as you've already put it out once before with the barrel.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
yep, that ammo drop thing makes a huge difference

I used to always switch to the starter to end rooms, now I always switch away

went from being lucky to get 2 ammo boxes in a full run, to getting about 2 ammo boxes per floor

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Zorodius posted:

yep, that ammo drop thing makes a huge difference

I used to always switch to the starter to end rooms, now I always switch away

went from being lucky to get 2 ammo boxes in a full run, to getting about 2 ammo boxes per floor

I had a run today where I had four ammo drops on the second floor, all of which went to the Winchester I got from using the Pilot's lockpick on a brown chest on the first.

I didn't see a single ammo spawn after halfway through the third floor and died on the fifth using the Rogue Special with an empty Shock Rifle, Demon Head, Face Melter, Composite Gun, and Light Gun along with the Winchester. :whitewater:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Finally vindicated, I've been saying since day one that I rarely had ammo problems and I used my fun guns constantly, and that's exactly why. Some guy came into my stream a couple weeks ago and harped on me for not using my started for the first three floors and I was like "watch" and proceeded to get ammo drops more often than I could even use them the whole run through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Nighthand posted:

Finally vindicated, I've been saying since day one that I rarely had ammo problems and I used my fun guns constantly, and that's exactly why. Some guy came into my stream a couple weeks ago and harped on me for not using my started for the first three floors and I was like "watch" and proceeded to get ammo drops more often than I could even use them the whole run through.

I used to switch to the starter to clean out the last enemies :negative:

There's also the problem where you managed to run out of ammo and got hosed out of extra drops.