Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
So for bringing the Dead back to life, you pretty much have to start with Jerry, right?

Actually he was cremated, unfortunately :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
http://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-tech-bubble-popping-ping-pong-offers-an-answer-1462286089?mod=trending_now_3#:lWGT6A-Eq3_gxw

quote:

The table-tennis indicator is a peek into Silicon Valley culture, in which the right to play ping pong on the job is sacrosanct.

“If you don’t have a ping-pong table, you’re not a tech company,” says Sunil Rajasekar, chief technology officer at Lithium Technologies, a San Francisco software startup.

Pivotal, a San Francisco software company, has eight tables. It has netted off the area to block errant balls.

The tables aim to give coders a break, says spokesman Michael Lee. “This is an activity thoughtfully selected by our CEO for their benefit for the sake of their corneas.”

Venture capitalist Michael Cardamone, the tournament’s co-organizer, approves of young companies buying tables with venture funds.

“You absolutely should,” he says. “It’s part of building culture.”

Table buying “tracks most closely with startups that hit that threshold where they’re taking out office space,” says Russell Hancock, chief executive of think tank Joint Venture Silicon Valley, which follows economic trends. “That’s when you’re going to get your first ping-pong table.”

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's for people with bum brainstems. It won't work but someday stuff like that will. We'll probably see spinal cord fixes first, though.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

quote:

“You could probably track Odwalla juices,” says venture capitalist Joseph Floyd, referring to the drink ubiquitous in tech workplaces.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

At a company I worked for they stupidly put the ping pong table on the outdoor patio, which lead to a lot of lost balls and a complaint from the downstairs neighbors.

Korean Barbecue Slut
Aug 6, 2009
Wait… are ping-pong tables a good or a bad sign?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Genius. I bet companies that offer huge bonuses are more profitable than companies that don't. Therefore,

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My new startup, Cover!Up, assists you in the vital everyday task of causing police officers to shoot civilians.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Vape Bag posted:

Wait… are ping-pong tables a good or a bad sign?
A rule of thumb I heard recently is neither, but it's a bad sign if a company specifically highlights them to prospective employees and investors.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Ping pong tables are fine, even my dad's boring old IC design company had one.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Turtle Sandbox posted:

How long until investors realize they probably wont make an actual zombie and it costs alot of money to let people gently caress around with brains all day.

All the VCs and techlords are terrified of death. Until the bubble bursts, any and all wacky longevity/immortality/life extension ideas are going to get some funding.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Peztopiary posted:

All the VCs and techlords are terrified of death. Until the bubble bursts, any and all wacky longevity/immortality/life extension ideas are going to get some funding.

Yep. Also, the singularity and transhumanism are basically religions among a lot of that crowd.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

e_angst posted:

Yep. Also, the singularity and transhumanism are basically religions among a lot of that crowd.

Don't forget that you HAVE to fund the AI research programs or an AI from the future that is theoretically simulating our reality right now could torture you horribly for all eternity

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Eternity is a pretty long time. I'm sure I'd get used to it.

Check and mate, AI. :smug:

...wait I like to program AI. I'm probably safe.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Eternity is a pretty long time. I'm sure I'd get used to it.

Check and mate, AI. :smug:

...wait I like to program AI. I'm probably safe.

But are you working on the AI as hard as you could be? Are you devoting all your spare money to the development of the AI? If not, the AI will torture simulated you.

Stop posting. Program more, meatbag.

God, reading the original basilisk post, I forget how completely crazy these people are.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Not really a "bubble bursting" story but XFund is having a real housewives style meltdown.

http://fortune.com/2016/05/04/harvard-vc-fund-smoke/

edit: this one is maybe a little juicier http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/technology/infighting-threatens-to-fell-a-venture-capital-firm.html

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 5, 2016

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I've never understood this. Why would an AI, a machine entity of perfect logic, waste resources on that? It says more about the believers' own pettiness than anything.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Boxman posted:

But are you working on the AI as hard as you could be? Are you devoting all your spare money to the development of the AI? If not, the AI will torture simulated you.

God, reading the original basilisk post, I forget how completely crazy these people are.

If the AI wanted me to, it'd given me the near infinite funds it's given others so it must not want me to!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Boxman posted:

If the AI wanted me to work full time on it it would have gone back before I was born and deleted video games and booze.

The continued existence of video games and booze tells me that the AI wants me to consume them.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Unguided posted:

I've never understood this. Why would an AI, a machine entity of perfect logic, waste resources on that? It says more about the believers' own pettiness than anything.

Existential crises are hard to deal with, doubly so when you're used to having close to supreme power over all you survey.

Watching techbros discover Gnosticism is kind of hilarious. It would be more so if they weren't setting so much money on fire instead of funding things that are actually useful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Unguided posted:

There's no reason that a strong AI/AL needs to be any more purely logical or unemotional than humans. We're deterministic machines too, basically.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

If the AI exists and has enough power to do all of that, it has enough power to simply manipulate events to create itself as fast as possible. Furthermore these fuckers have no idea how to actually create said ai as fast as possible. Me typing on this forum might be accelerating its existence or might not, I have no way of determining what will or will not lead to said ai so I might as well do what I think is best and hope it all works out.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's not as fun. How would that distract from their hollow Silicon Valley lives?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

AtomikKrab posted:

If the AI exists and has enough power to do all of that, it has enough power to simply manipulate events to create itself as fast as possible. Furthermore these fuckers have no idea how to actually create said ai as fast as possible. Me typing on this forum might be accelerating its existence or might not, I have no way of determining what will or will not lead to said ai so I might as well do what I think is best and hope it all works out.

Shitposting is actually the code that the cosmic AI runs on.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Dirk the Average posted:

Shitposting is actually the code that the cosmic AI runs on.

Never not :justpost: Your future avatar in the Singularity depends on it!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Creating AI isn't some arcane summoning spell that requires all the winds in the Pacific to blow in the same direction while people in every time zone shout words without vowels. It's programming and math, experimentation and testing.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Unguided posted:

It requires you to believe/take for granted a few weird premises everyone on that forum takes for granted, which range from "iffy" to "batshit insane." It starts with stuff like "singularity happens," and "hyper intelligent AI takes over," then you need to accept a weird theory about energy and sub atomic particles potentially allowing future states to influence past states is true and also applies to an actor in the future using knowledge of events/risks and probability to bargain with a past actor. So "the AI tortures simulated/future you because it knows that current you knows that's a risk if you don't work hard enough to create the AI."

The most disturbing part is this isn't really much of a derail since google and more than a few others have already thrown mad unicorn money at the guy who runs that forum. He of course agreed the basilisk argument was dumb and tried to delete it. Not because it was pointless and folks were getting too worked up over it, but because he 'solved' the problem.
:smugdog:: "The AI should know I don't negotiate with terrorists," and "Uh, no actually a benevolent AI won't do that."

When one of the few actual interesting and relevant parts of the thought experiment is it is a benevolent AI in that scenario. It's not torturing you out of malice, it's done a cost benefit analysis and deciding that saving X number of lives by starting the singularity earlier is worth the simulated pain used to influence past you. The same way smartcars would have to deal with hitting a person in the middle of the road vs swerving into oncoming traffic or off the road.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Creating AI isn't some arcane summoning spell that requires all the winds in the Pacific to blow in the same direction while people in every time zone shout words without vowels. It's programming and math, experimentation and testing.

:ssh: The AI will see your post and realize you are useful!

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Subjunctive posted:

There's no reason that a strong AI/AL needs to be any more purely logical or unemotional than humans. We're deterministic machines too, basically.

Our own emotions, goals and desires are the result of millions of years of evolution. Either the human creators deliberately include them or come up with some process to develop them or they won't be there in the AI. At the least motions are there own development that won't be emergent automatically from intelligence.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

code:
PunishAnyoneWhoKnowinglyFailedToContribute=False
There, I've solved it. As long as no one changes that we should be good and can get back to laughing at failing tech companies.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Unguided posted:

code:
PunishAnyoneWhoKnowinglyFailedToContribute=False

There, I've solved it. As long as no one changes that we should be good and can get back to laughing at failing tech companies.

I don't think anyone has brought up one consultant company's idea to encourage startups to commodify sleep.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I don't think anyone has brought up one consultant company's idea to encourage startups to commodify sleep.

I like how this "branding group" (whatever the hell that means) is named after the stupor you find yourself in if you take too much ketamine. Genius marketing stunt for Casper, their target demo will eat that poo poo up.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Legitimately not sure if this was an onion style parody or a real serious report the entire time I was reading it.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So should we kill these smarmy shits now or wait for them to build the abomination first?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Unguided posted:

The psychotic vindictive poo poo heads at LW would pettily destroy anyone who slighted or rejected them given omnipotence.

They believe they are the ones who will bring about the singularity and, as a result, any AI they create would be as petty and vindictive as they are.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This has to be a joke.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Sounds more like a Flying Spaghetti Monster than an AI.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This has to be a joke.

It's an art group that from the outside looks exactly like what it claims to be mimicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

redscare posted:

I like how this "branding group" (whatever the hell that means) is named after the stupor you find yourself in if you take too much ketamine. Genius marketing stunt for Casper, their target demo will eat that poo poo up.

Stupor is putting it mildly. It's a nightmarish state with extreme disassociation. Exactly the what I mentally associate with restful nights.