Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

berryjon posted:

You know what I wish would happen at this point (not that it could)?

Harley finds out that Ivy is dead, and it was Scarecrow's toxin that did it (not hard given his gloating). So Harley goes berserk and kills Scarecrow. No boss fight, no warning, just Scarecrow doing his usual thing and wham! Hammer out of nowhere.

Because Harley and Ivy are clearly friends since Asylum showed her going against Joker's plans to let Ivy out, and the DLC showing Harley getting Ivy out of jail. It would have been a nice way to re-establish character motivation and agency.

Except she's trapped under the movie studio with Robin.

The only problem with this is that Ivy turned down Scarecrow, presumably at the meeting, and was going to be killed at the start of the game.

And Harley did nothing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Octatonic posted:

I hate to fall into this trap, but it seems increasingly unlikely to me that anything in the game since That Barbara Scene has actually happened as the game presents us.

It would be nice of the remaining villains would actually pose a threat to us instead of just yelling menacingly at you from the city wide PA system Gotham had installed at some point. This game obviously didn't win any awards for it's writing or character development but seriously this is just getting ridiculous.

At this point I gotta think that every time Batman hears another spiel or comes up against another group of henchmen he just sighs, rolls his eyes and mechanically beats everyone into a coma; just going through the motions, he's not even enjoying it any more. He isn't even phased when people die - yep, another dead body, great. Moving on...

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

berryjon posted:

Except she's trapped under several layers of bad writing.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
I'm not even angry anymore, frankly I'm sort of impressed by the games sheer commitment to screwing with every major female character in the batman mythos. Kind of makes me wonder who's next, we haven't seen Vicky Vale in the game yet right?

Also kudos to Rocksteady for making Jason Todd, I mean the Arkham Knight, both irritating and supremely nonthreatening despite what should be a decent build up. I hope the big twist is that Batman kills him with a crowbar and the game just ends.Maybe I'm just bitter about the whole batmobile thing.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Captian Nuke posted:

Arkham Knight Identity.

Not sure that's happened in game yet. Although, I have been skipping combat sections so maybe I missed something.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I suppose they could just ... not tell us who he is, and leave us hanging for some other sequel further down the line, but the game is called Arkham Knight and it would be really cruel to not answer that question.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

JossiRossi posted:

Not sure that's happened in game yet. Although, I have been skipping combat sections so maybe I missed something.

It's pretty obvious it's him, though. The game's still trying to be coy about it, but come on.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey, you don't know for sure! It could always be Clayface!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

RareAcumen posted:

Nah,that'd require good writing,something Rocksteady is/are incapable of.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Nah,that'd require good writing,something Rocksteady is/are incapable of.

Hey, you never know, it might not be Jason Todd at all!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The only problem with this is that Ivy turned down Scarecrow, presumably at the meeting, and was going to be killed at the start of the game.

And Harley did nothing about it.

Is it indicated that Harley knows about Ivy?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

God drat. What a stupid game.

I'm really glad the PC port was completely hosed up, otherwise I would have bought this clown nose of a game. Hoo boy.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Well, this is well in line with classic comic book writing, where bad things happen to female characters to motivate the men. It's such a well worn trope that doing it now, in TYOOL 2016, is not only sexist, but terrible writing. Like, they should have stepped back, looked at their plot, and gone "wait, we're making women the victims, consistently". Part of why they didn't is because this poo poo is kinda par for the course in comics, too, at least in DC comics, which I've heard has mostly stubbornly resisted the tide of progressivism otherwise remaking comics.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You know, while the thread keeps going misogyny! on that last scene, I'm just really disappointed that batman helped Ivy build giant skyscraper sized plant monsters only for that to completely fail to bite him in the rear end. They seriously couldn't come up with anything cooler to do with freaking kaiju trees with rad looking control centers than, they cleanse the city of toxin? I know you can say this about just about every part of the game other than non batmobile core gameplay, but it just feels like a waste.

Edminster posted:

Bat-tank predator sections could have been so much cooler if they had done anything at all to make them more like, you know, predator sections. Like allow you to use the power winch to grapple up the sides of some buildings so you could lay in wait for a tank to pass by, or let you burst through bricked-off alleyways to flip a tank upside-down.

Yeah, but that would have required them to make the bat tank into something awesome and loaded with nifty gadgets, not a tank with a (admittedly pretty rad and used in fun gadgety ways) tow cable. An aerial takedown that just dropped the batmobile on an enemy tank would have been super fun.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

RareAcumen posted:

It was Old Man Winters, from the abandoned theme park!

Oh, and put me in the camp that Ivy's death wasn't pointless. It was a sacrifice to achieve what we're been working towards. She redeemed herself in the end. I was totally expecting her to be a boss fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Is it indicated that Harley knows about Ivy?

If I'm not mistaken, weren't the guys at the start talking about how Ivy was going to be killed at the safehouse?

At the very least, considering everyone was at the meeting, I would imagine Ivy turned him down on the spot in front of everyone.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Part 36 Notes:
  • You may notice the Cityvision signs thoughout the tunnels. There are signs that Cityvision was a front company used to smuggle the Arkham Knight's militia into the city.
  • Scarecrow's monologues in this part are kinda important. He is indeed trying to break Batman through his connections to his allies, as others have mentioned, but that's only part of it. Crane has realized that his own efforts at spreading fear are ineffective when the public holds out hope that Batman will save them. His primary goal isn't just to destroy Batman, but to destroy Batman in a very public way that ruins the public's ability to trust him. This is why, to Crane, even gassing an empty Gotham is meaningful. It's not about directly gassing people, but about showing them that Batman can't save them. Now that he's shown people that Batman can fail, he's going to try to actually start trying to kill him publicly.
  • You can actually hear something significant being revved up in the (too extensive, really) tunnel segments leading up to the churchyard plant defense. The order of events in the game seems to have been rearranged a bit in this part.
  • The Knight is specifically disobeying Scarecrow at this point, going off the reservation and deviating from the plan of ruining Gotham, then ruining Batman. He was down with the plan until this point, where his hate gets the best of him.
  • Ivy's arc is meant to mimic Batman's, in a way that's a bit complicated. It may help to remember that her super plant powers are the result of being exposed to Titan in AA. I can't really discuss the intended parallels until we hit postgame.
  • It bears repeating that everyone, everyone in the game that isn't a villain winds up being a victim. Some of the villains wind up being victims too. Female characters are not special in this regard. I think Alfred and the secretary from Wayne tower are the only arguable exceptions to this.

JamieTheD posted:

Fucks given by Ivy about Scarecrow's plan at the beginning: Not a one.
Fucks given by Ivy when Batman points out something she should already know (That Scarecrow's going to gently caress her plants over too): Suddenly a whole lot more.
Why is this bad? First, yes, she should already know, what with being a plant psychic, effectively. And secondly, the only reason she does this is because Batman points this out. She doesn't offer, she doesn't think from the start "poo poo, maybe my chlorophyllic folks will get hosed over, co-operate with the person I know can stop this", she does nothing until Batman says things.

She doesn't know what Crane is planning at the start of the game, and doesn't know that the toxin release will kill her plants until batman tells her.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If I'm not mistaken, weren't the guys at the start talking about how Ivy was going to be killed at the safehouse?

At the very least, considering everyone was at the meeting, I would imagine Ivy turned him down on the spot in front of everyone.

The enemies at the start aren't part of Harley's gang. Scarecrow has generally been very effective at only giving each villain a limited amount of information about what is going on-the audiologs are a good source for him doing this. His handling of Riddler is pretty hilarious.

LegionAreI posted:

Someone at Rocksteady must really hate women. I mean at least she went out doing something useful, but did that really need to happen at all?

My understanding is the people who stunk up gender depiction in AC aren't with Rocksteady anymore. Ivy probably could have been kept alive, but the game doesn't have a way for you to do anything with her at this point-and it opens up some potential plotholes later if she's alive, iirc. There's also a slim possibility she isn't dead (Ivy faked her death using a plant copy and sorta reformed to resolve her character in one of the animated series comics), but I think that's pretty unlikely.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Discendo Vox posted:

• It bears repeating that everyone, everyone in the game that isn't a villain winds up being a victim. Some of the villains wind up being victims too. Female characters are not special in this regard. I think Alfred and the secretary from Wayne tower are the only arguable exceptions to this.

I would argue that the secretary has been victimized - Hush made her think that her boss, Bruce Wayne (whom by all accounts is an awesome stand up guy) just went crazy and attacked her and Lucius Fox. Batman nor Fox give her closure to explain "No, it was a Wayne impersonator, everything is normal".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If I were rewriting things I'd have Ivy break out of GCPD herself when she realized the plants would die too and she could stop it. Batman tracks her down and you either have a boss fight or a fakeout before "we're on the same team for this" and then continue as normal. A bit of negotiation while traveling to the second tree, in which she gets Batman to promise not to let the city trap them back under concrete in exchange for going quietly when it's all over, then whether she lives or dies you have an example of sacrifice for her cause rather than "most human of us all because I guess we're pretending she cared about Gotham's non-plants now or something."

Really, everyone gets victimized in this game but so far the men are played as chances for Batman to shine (cinematic takedowns of Hush, Harley and Penguin) while the women are his failures to protect them. Aside from Jason Todd.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

berryjon posted:

I would argue that the secretary has been victimized - Hush made her think that her boss, Bruce Wayne (whom by all accounts is an awesome stand up guy) just went crazy and attacked her and Lucius Fox. Batman nor Fox give her closure to explain "No, it was a Wayne impersonator, everything is normal".

It's not clear what happens with the secretary- presumbly she's just elsewhere in Wayne Tower, and Fox has explained that the situation was resolved to her.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

berryjon posted:

Keep in mind, Lucius and Batman don't bring him into the GCPD, they keep Hush in Wayne Tower, incapacitated. This poor secretary just watched Bruce Wayne attack Lucius, shoot at her, then get his rear end kicked by Batman, and now he's just sorta strung up in Wayne Tower. She's just stuck in the tower with the insane Bruce Wayne who tried to kill her, so she not only gets to struggle with comprehending the attack and Bruce's shift in character, he's also still right there.

I'd say Ivy's death is probably the least egregious of them all so far, but that's not saying much. It's still a poorly written character in a game of poorly written characters, with "poorly written" meaning "temporarily incapacitate" for the men and "probably dead" for the women, so far.

Let's talk about the other big sin about this game, too: Scarecrow is in his worst adaptation so far. He becomes less and less scary the more you see of him, which entirely undermines the ratcheting tension you should be feeling when you see Gotham entirely enveloped by fear gas. This shouldn't just be a color-palette change with Scarecrow yakking in the background, as soon as you get the Batmobile it just becomes a forced, extended car section until you defeat The Arkham Knight. Not even Scarecrow, not even an interesting section of dealing with fear in the loving fear gas tsunami, it's just a Cobra Tank battle. Why? Why bother with this poo poo, when it entirely undermines what makes Scarecrow such a cool villain?

He keeps making the same threat, all game, basically amounting to: "I will break you, Bat." When Bane said that in Knightfall, he shattered Batman's loving spine. Here, Scarecrow is causing some nebulous hand-wavey fear-stuff to happen to Batman's mind while having his work immediately undone as soon as he puts a plan into motion. In the game that's supposed to make us believe that Batman is finally losing it, his two main antagonists are a bumbling pair of idiots that take one step forward and five steps back. Scarecrow can't realistically be a source of fear for anything anymore, there is nothing he could possibly do to top "trying to fear toxin the east coast with a dirty bomb made out of an entire chemical plant" and "literally plunging Gotham into a miasma of fear toxin" because these two grand actions were easily foiled. It makes him Scarecrow seem toothless, which is anathema of his character. A Scarecrow that you don't think could ever succeed... where's the fear there?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

berryjon posted:

You know what I wish would happen at this point (not that it could)?

Harley finds out that Ivy is dead, and it was Scarecrow's toxin that did it (not hard given his gloating). So Harley goes berserk and kills Scarecrow. No boss fight, no warning, just Scarecrow doing his usual thing and wham! Hammer out of nowhere.

Because Harley and Ivy are clearly friends since Asylum showed her going against Joker's plans to let Ivy out, and the DLC showing Harley getting Ivy out of jail. It would have been a nice way to re-establish character motivation and agency.

Except she's trapped under the movie studio with Robin.

They could have at least did what happens to Tim if you go back to the cells and talk about Barbra to him, ie she could just break down into tears because Bruce just unceremoniously blurted out bad news. But I'm sure at this state Harley would blame batman for anything.

Spatula City posted:

Well, this is well in line with classic comic book writing, where bad things happen to female characters to motivate the men. It's such a well worn trope that doing it now, in TYOOL 2016, is not only sexist, but terrible writing. Like, they should have stepped back, looked at their plot, and gone "wait, we're making women the victims, consistently". Part of why they didn't is because this poo poo is kinda par for the course in comics, too, at least in DC comics, which I've heard has mostly stubbornly resisted the tide of progressivism otherwise remaking comics.

Well there's always Katherine Kane, but I am scared as hell of what not only Rocksteady could have done to a happily married Lesbian couple, but what your typical video game audience's reaction towards Batwoman would be. But yeah, the new 52 still has some notoriety of sort of dipping back into another Dark Age with certain characterization changes or ideas of 2011.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I agree with the general sentiment that Ivy's death is the least problematic so far, and really only looks problematic because of context; sure, male characters HAVE 'died' in this story (to the extent we can trust ANYTHING of Bat'Let-me-take-another-hit-of-that-fear-toxin'man's perspective at this point), but the majority of those were off-screen, and/or have reduced impact. Female characters, on the other hand, have been an unpleasant mix of damsels in distress and fridge-bait for the whole arc of the game thus far. Ivy's death in isolation would be fine and fitting, as she exercised some minor agency and protected her plants. Unfortunately, when she's the third or fourth mortality out of a dwindling stable of female characters to begin with, it just feels like reinforcement of a trend.

There isn't a narrative turn that can right this course from here. You could say it's all a dream, that there's layers of deception, that there's some grand plan in motion with at least one lady with both agency and success on her side, that it's a deconstruction of Bruce's flaws and these phantasms are a problem with HIS perspective, it doesn't change the fact that the plot arc feels like it has a thousand-year grudge against women and is less fun to slog through because of that. I'm strongly of the opinion that anything that DOES actually subvert the trend at this point would feel like a Deus Ex Machina (or, to put it more bluntly, a massive rear end-pull), and wouldn't excuse the behavior of the game so far in that regard. And that's not because the message couldn't work; in a more coherent and focused book or movie, you can effectively use a narrator's own unreliability to deconstruct themselves. And it's not even because it's a video game; Spec Ops: The Line, though not without flaws of its own, does a great job of deconstructing the conventions of its own genre and using narrative unreliability to tear the player character apart, and just generally make you feel bad about the entire plot while still enjoying it, and enjoying the gameplay around it.

The problem is that Arkham Knight is unfocused, relentless in the aspects in which it IS terrible (hey guys are you tired of the Joker or fridging or the ineffective villains or bat-tank stealth yet), and appears to just generally be a slog to extract any kind of joy from anything but the combat sections and a handful of cutscenes, with the rest being morose and 'edgy'. This problem is consistent and cuts to the core of the game; it makes the writing look terrible and actively makes the game less fun. As people have repeatedly pointed out, there are lots of interesting ways the game could have been spiced up a bit, but it has failed to deliver, and the result seems to be taking way too long to wrap an increasingly repetitive series of actions. If the whole point of the game, magically, out of left field, is to lampoon its own gameplay along with its writing, then I'll have to give it incredible artistic merit, but it would still be a terrible game with terrible bat-decisions.

That's probably too many words about this increasingly farcical game. Because there was just a bat-tank predator stealth section in a miasma of fear-gas culminating in a boss fight whose resolution was a Joker hallucination. That was all very silly and who knows if it even happened at this point since Batman is just actively tripping balls now.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So, at what point was actual Knight replaced with hallucination-Knight? Personally, I would guess in the moment where the camera wasn't looking, inbetween Batman saving him from the exploding tank and him trying to attack batman on that roof.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JamieTheD posted:

And, funnily enough, the one thing they can't actually deconstruct (His plot armour) is one of the things that causes problems with the rest of it. Batman can't not be the focus, even though... Well, we've seen the Bat-family are around. We've seen playing as others.
You know what would actually have been good? If Batman had agreed to lock himself up and from that point on you play as Robin and Nightwing, who immediately rescue Oracle, and she drives the Batmobile around from that point on while Robin handles the main story and Nightwing handles the side quests or something and you just switch between them at will. Demonstrate that Batman was unquestionably wrong to try to do everything himself and show that teamwork is more effective and actually keeps everyone safer.

FoolyCharged posted:

You know, while the thread keeps going misogyny! on that last scene, I'm just really disappointed that batman helped Ivy build giant skyscraper sized plant monsters only for that to completely fail to bite him in the rear end. They seriously couldn't come up with anything cooler to do with freaking kaiju trees with rad looking control centers than, they cleanse the city of toxin? I know you can say this about just about every part of the game other than non batmobile core gameplay, but it just feels like a waste.
Yeah, it's certainly very convenient that Ivy dies as soon as she's finished helping and just at the point where her being free and controlling these massive plants could have started to be a problem. And although it really is mostly the context that made her death seem so terrible, she is yet another character who doesn't really have any agency in this game. Sure, she's motivated to save the plants, but she only does so when Batman asks her to and then they try to make it a redemption thing where she was actually a good guy in the end rather than just leaving it as her doing it for her own reasons.

Bruceski posted:

If I were rewriting things I'd have Ivy break out of GCPD herself when she realized the plants would die too and she could stop it.
I'd have had her not let Batman arrest her to begin with. She just gives herself up like she doesn't even care.

Nuramor posted:

So, at what point was actual Knight replaced with hallucination-Knight?
What can we even confidently say is actually happening at this point? Batman clearly can't tell reality from hallucination, and since we're looking through his eyes, neither can we. It makes it even harder to care about this plot than it otherwise would be when it's just as plausible that Batman's sitting in a cage hallucinating as it is he's actually doing any of the things he thinks he is.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I agree with the general sentiment that Ivy's death is the least problematic so far, and really only looks problematic because of context; sure, male characters HAVE 'died' in this story (to the extent we can trust ANYTHING of Bat'Let-me-take-another-hit-of-that-fear-toxin'man's perspective at this point), but the majority of those were off-screen, and/or have reduced impact. Female characters, on the other hand, have been an unpleasant mix of damsels in distress and fridge-bait for the whole arc of the game thus far. Ivy's death in isolation would be fine and fitting, as she exercised some minor agency and protected her plants. Unfortunately, when she's the third or fourth mortality out of a dwindling stable of female characters to begin with, it just feels like reinforcement of a trend.

This. It doesn't matter if you have an explanation for why this specific lady should die right in this scene when it loving keeps happening. A story isn't made up of isolated scenes that happen independently from each other, and when you get to the point where it seriously seems like every named woman is just there to die for the sake of cheap drama the story really has jumped the shark. This is especially bad when you factor in that all this looks awfully like a blatant attempt to make Scarecrow seem like a legit threat when he's really not. Dude's been MIA for most of the game, and when he does show up he either succeeds by fiat or has his plans collapse completely, which is a pretty lousy way to sell your main villain.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Tiggum posted:

What can we even confidently say is actually happening at this point? Batman clearly can't tell reality from hallucination, and since we're looking through his eyes, neither can we. It makes it even harder to care about this plot than it otherwise would be when it's just as plausible that Batman's sitting in a cage hallucinating as it is he's actually doing any of the things he thinks he is.

Ha, that'd be (sort of) hilarious. After the final tag-team battle against Scarecrow and the Knight Batman feels himself finally succumbing to the poison and closes his eyes in resignation. Cut. Suddenly, a friendly automatic voice chimes in: "Toxin successfully neutralized. ACE Chemicals wishes you a wonderful and productive day" and when the view comes back Batman is just lying on the ground in that central chamber from the beginning of the game.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Tiggum posted:

You know what would actually have been good? If Batman had agreed to lock himself up and from that point on you play as Robin and Nightwing, who immediately rescue Oracle, and she drives the Batmobile around from that point on while Robin handles the main story and Nightwing handles the side quests or something and you just switch between them at will. Demonstrate that Batman was unquestionably wrong to try to do everything himself and show that teamwork is more effective and actually keeps everyone safer.

I also like the gist of this idea, since it would play into Batman conquering his fears, in a way. Alternatively, there's still room for Batman to be in lala land and for the finale to be handled by the extended Batfamily, but it wouldn't change the fact that there's a massive pile of badbatdecisions to tromp through first.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Additionally this would also make the main villains about a billion times more threatening, because in this scenario they've actually managed to incapacitate Batman himself. Add in better writing in general and you could actually have a good story on your hands.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I still want to know what happened to that fourth exploding chemical neutralizer that Bruce was carrying before Joker Hallucination scared him unconscious. :colbert:

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
A big problem with the story comes from it trying to do two opposite things at the same time. One one side, we have Batman who is unreasonable skilled and resourceful. He pretty much succeeds at any task and has a great mobility, allowing the players to feel great freedom and power. In particular, this is enhanced by the fact that Batman supposedly has no superpower (other than the ability to train 57 hours every day 9 days a week to acquire all his top level skills).

On the other side, the game is trying to portray the events as really threatening. This doesn't work without dialing back on Batman's success. If they want the Arkham knight to be a legitimate threat, then he needs to get the better of Batman at times. They could fight and Batman has to flee, he could outwit Batman at some occasion or whatever. If Scarecrow is to be frightening, Batman needs to fail at foiling his plans. He cannot fail at every turn, but the game should at times make situations turn worse as a consequence of him failing.

Evey time the situation gets worse, it happens when Batman is away. Oracle got kidnapped when Batman was somewhere else. The Cloudburst fired while Batman was far out of sight. However, when Batman is there, he succeeds with his tasks. He stopped the initial fear gas bomb with the neutralizers (even though he was supposed to) and he destroyed the Cloudburst in combat.

Well, Oracle and Ivy died. However, the common belief is that Oracle's death won't stick and nobody really cares about that Ivy died as much as it's the fact that a female character got killed in a game that's already making GBS threads on female characters. In addition to that, the kills are credited to the writers, not Scarecrow. All in all, those two deaths comes of as feeble attempts at making Batman fail and suffer losses despite really doing nothing else than succeeding.

Heck, Scarecrows plan is contradictory to begin with. He intends to kill the legend of Batman by using a whole army. If you need an army to bring down a single man, you're creating a legend, not killing it. Even if Batman were to lose, people would realize that while he did lose, it required a whole army for it to happen. Then maybe guys like Robin and/or Nightwing shows up.

This all also seems unnecessary to me. For most of the villains who piled in the money to hire this army (what was their budget really?) this was a last ditch effort to get rid of Batman. If this game was supposed to go all as the last in the series, then why not just make the invasion an actual last ditch effort instead of Scarecrow's nonsense? Every villain chooses to pile their efforts together in a last attempt to kill Batman and thus Batman's hardest fight awaits him. Easy to write and serves the purpose of a grand finale.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's the same problem with the Riddler. It is well within the grounds of the game to just make a complete deathtrap and murder batman. But that wouldn't make for a fun game. The writers want batman to fail but they don't want the player to fail. So everything that happens is completely outside of the players control and there aren't any un-winnable non-bosses as far as I know.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It would be nice of the remaining villains would actually pose a threat to us instead of just yelling menacingly at you from the city wide PA system Gotham had installed at some point. This game obviously didn't win any awards for it's writing or character development but seriously this is just getting ridiculous.

At this point I gotta think that every time Batman hears another spiel or comes up against another group of henchmen he just sighs, rolls his eyes and mechanically beats everyone into a coma; just going through the motions, he's not even enjoying it any more. He isn't even phased when people die - yep, another dead body, great. Moving on...

Thats what sucks. Arkham city had writting issues. but at least the villians did poo poo. it was cool to watch that slow gang war that unfolded over the course arkham city and all the cool little goon vignette and chatter.

Captian Nuke posted:

I'm not even angry anymore, frankly I'm sort of impressed by the games sheer commitment to screwing with every major female character in the batman mythos. Kind of makes me wonder who's next, we haven't seen Vicky Vale in the game yet right?

Also kudos to Rocksteady for making Jason Todd, I mean the Arkham Knight, both irritating and supremely nonthreatening despite what should be a decent build up. I hope the big twist is that Batman kills him with a crowbar and the game just ends.Maybe I'm just bitter about the whole batmobile thing.

The knight/probaly todd is unironically poorly written Kylo renn at this point. He has skills and manpower and the powerful ally and the cool suit. but he is a whiny fuckhead who has daddy issues and anger issues and poor planning.

Crystalgate posted:

This all also seems unnecessary to me. For most of the villains who piled in the money to hire this army (what was their budget really?) this was a last ditch effort to get rid of Batman. If this game was supposed to go all as the last in the series, then why not just make the invasion an actual last ditch effort instead of Scarecrow's nonsense? Every villain chooses to pile their efforts together in a last attempt to kill Batman and thus Batman's hardest fight awaits him. Easy to write and serves the purpose of a grand finale.

My problem is they don't even do that. the ads make big deal out of all the vilians uniting to gently caress up batman in various ways. but they don't. none of them work together to stop you in various ways. all they do is basically call a truce and take advantage of Scarecrows jackassery.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Having seen those Nightmare racetracks, I don't get why it wasn't like that in the cloud. They could've made the stealth-tank interesting by having the Cloudburst tank appear as a demon or something, with Batman struggling to keep it together.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Scarecrow's plan utilizing the rest of the villains just seems to be letting them do whatever they want so long as they're available on Halloween night and say they hate batman. Like, that's it. Scarecrow is only making GBS threads on Ivy because she didn't feel like doing a night gig right now. And I think the money didn't even come from everyone involved, I think it was just from Crane or the Knight. Which just means AK's goons showed up to Penguin/etc's doorstep and told them to show up for something big on Halloween and they can do whatever they loving want to kill the Batman.

Which just makes them all incompetent in their own ways as none of them try to look out for each other when the Batman was going after one of them. Like at least wait until your Bat is dead before you start planning to betray each other.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Scarecrow's plan utilizing the rest of the villains just seems to be letting them do whatever they want so long as they're available on Halloween night and say they hate batman. Like, that's it. Scarecrow is only making GBS threads on Ivy because she didn't feel like doing a night gig right now. And I think the money didn't even come from everyone involved, I think it was just from Crane or the Knight. Which just means AK's goons showed up to Penguin/etc's doorstep and told them to show up for something big on Halloween and they can do whatever they loving want to kill the Batman.

Which just makes them all incompetent in their own ways as none of them try to look out for each other when the Batman was going after one of them. Like at least wait until your Bat is dead before you start planning to betray each other.

The money came from everyone, particularly from the settlements over Arkham City, but also most of their remaining holdings.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Having seen those Nightmare racetracks, I don't get why it wasn't like that in the cloud. They could've made the stealth-tank interesting by having the Cloudburst tank appear as a demon or something, with Batman struggling to keep it together.

It's a guess, but it's probably because testers found the Nightmare racetracks much harder than any of the other car-based activities required in the main game. Bear in mind that only the first Riddler racetrack (which becomes easier if you fail it multiple times) was required in the main story at this point.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a guess, but it's probably because testers found the Nightmare racetracks much harder than any of the other car-based activities required in the main game. Bear in mind that only the first Riddler racetrack (which becomes easier if you fail it multiple times) was required in the main story at this point.

As just a gee whiz, those races I've included in the first post? It took me quite a few attempts to even get the times on those I have. I remember the 1966 Batcave Set taking me about an hour. And there are some racetracks included with the base game (non-DLC) that I still don't have a good handle on. BATMOBILE DRIVING IS HARD.

The Crushonator (the last Riddler race?) took me maybe two attempts? But it's one that is almost shoved in your face with how it's presented in the story. None of the base AR challenges are required for 100% of the game, which will be a sticking point in a few videos, trust me.

If you're still wondering where we are as compared to GAME COMPLETION, I'd say we're...maybe 7 videos out from the end of the main story. I still have a lot of Riddler stuff and whatever else to do, mind you, but straight story completion I haven't recorded just yet...BUT I'M REALLY CLOSE.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

For the Cloudburst fight, are there checkpoints? Or would you have to redo the whole fight from the Cobra Tanks segment if you died while the Cloudburst tank's core was exposed?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

dscruffy1 posted:

If you're still wondering where we are as compared to GAME COMPLETION, I'd say we're...maybe 7 videos out from the end of the main story. I still have a lot of Riddler stuff and whatever else to do, mind you, but straight story completion I haven't recorded just yet...BUT I'M REALLY CLOSE.

You know... you could just not finish the story. I mean everything else about this game seems pretty good; the city is visually interesting, there's plenty of side missions as well as other odds and ends to do. But when you switch back to the main story after focusing on a few of these things it just reminds everyone how mind numbing the whole exercise has become. The Riddler, who doesn't seem to have anything to do with Scarecrow and has taken it upon himself to gently caress with Batman and his friends, is the only one who's actually capable of posing a threat to us. And all the other villains were at least trying to accomplish something

We'll assume that after the Cloudburst fiasco Arkham Knight just had enough and retreated while yelling "I'll get you nest time Gadget Batman, NEXT TIME!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

As just a gee whiz, those races I've included in the first post? It took me quite a few attempts to even get the times on those I have. I remember the 1966 Batcave Set taking me about an hour. And there are some racetracks included with the base game (non-DLC) that I still don't have a good handle on. BATMOBILE DRIVING IS HARD.

I'm referring to stuff that's required for main story completion. That'd be the standard used in difficulty testing in development.

• Locked thread