Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lotish posted:

If you do stagger certain enemies, they go into a stunned state that allows you to do a visceral attack straight out of Bloodborne. Triggering this state seems to be tied largely to doing enough damage in a small time frame, but there are apparently other triggers, like hitting that dog in the face at just the right time.

most of them seem to trigger off head hits. you can kill yhorme without stormbringer that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Welp I went ahead and restarted. No souls will be spent on armor or bullshit, and I'm going to decide on ONE consumable to buy. Probably bolts.

I went with a cleric because eventually I will get the Astora greatsword and a lightning gem, and then I'll go HAM with full faith. That sweet sweet S scaling it gets with faith. Also role play souls.

Until then, I'm using the good old mace. Hard to get more reliable than a ball of steel on a stick. What's more, I put a heavy gem on it and I'll be a STR/FTH build until I can rock the aforementioned AGS/FTH madness. Soon I'll happen upon the herald set for an overall improvement to my absorption, and my fashion souls.

Someone please validate my decision to go heavy gem mace until I can get my special weapon. I assume all the starter weapons are pretty good, as they are in lots of games.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A CANDELABRA INTO THE COVENANT ITEM SLOT. IT’S FAITHFUL OF ALDRICH AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ALDRICH. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME UNKINDLED BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP WEAPON ART. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ATE LOTHRICS MOST DANGEROUS DEITY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO HOLLOWS IN MY CLEANSING CHAPEL AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE HOLLOWS IN CLEANSING CHAPEL CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE TELLS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY ANOR LONDO LESS LONELY BY FASTROLLING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING RECOVERY FRAMES EVERY MORNing

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

turtlecrunch posted:

I'll have you know this was very hard to quote without reading the spoiler, but I'm glad it's just one, can do! Sirris disappeared or something on this playthrough anyhow so I'll go turn that in (then kill Sirris when she shows up all mad at me :black101:).

Are you super duper sure she's disapeared? Or it's possible you've advanced far enough ahead to break it-

1)Talk to her in Firelink. She says she doesn't want to talk, then leaves the next time you zone in.
2)Find the dreamchasers ashes in Farron's Keep, give them to the Shrine Maiden- I don't know if not telling her where you got them breaks the quest, but there's no reason not to tell her I know of.
3)Sirris will come back. Talk to her.
4)Sirris will put a summon sign asking you for help on the bridge leading to Boreal Valley, with the watchdog (that video :(). I thiiiiiink you have to do this before beating the Pontiff? But I'm not 100% on that.
5)Sirris will put another summon sign just by the hole leading to the pit of hollows, like outside the boss room. The wiki says (or said?) this happens after beating Aldritch, but I think it's actually after getting three lord souls because it didn't show for me until I beat Yhorm, too. Also she'll leave a special green moss thingy with the shrine maiden with a message (in the maiden's inventory, not a talk option).
6)Talk to her in Firelink.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 5, 2016

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo, what? I visceral attacked and knocked it over but then I just beat it to death before it stopped thrashing, assuming it would get back up.

That's... kind of haunting, actually. It's like it's praying, or begging for mercy. I wonder what those things were before becoming giant monstrosities.

The things you hunt, they're not beasts. They're people...

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

I never thought about killing Rosaria before. I guess it's not like she's needed for anything. :shrug: Time to go get her soul/ashes later then I guess.

Uhh respecing is far too useful.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm I've hit the enemies pretty hard in the face but maybe I just don't do enough damage to trigger visceral attacks. Oh well.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Start as Knight. Equip Worker Hat. Congrats you are now Adelbert Steiner.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I'm curious about what happened with Ocelotte and Gwynevere. All we really know about Ocelotte is that he was Gwynevere's youngest (and that she disappeared sometime after having him), and that he's very upsetting for Oceiros to think about. Is there any indication about what happened to him? Or are Lothric and Ocelotte the same person?

Also, why is the Goddess of fertility giving birth to a bunch of cripples? And do the Twin Princes care that their dad turned into a creepy dragon and he's just chilling in the basement?

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 5, 2016

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Jastiger posted:

Hmm I've hit the enemies pretty hard in the face but maybe I just don't do enough damage to trigger visceral attacks. Oh well.

Flailing seems to trigger it sometimes too, seems similar to breaking a player's guard with repeated attacks to open them up for a riposte. Some monsters definitely seem to have a defined weak point that stuns them though, like hitting the belly of the giant crab when it rears up to spit bubbles or do a double claw smash.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Holy poo poo. I knew about the visceral but it always just flat out killed them, I never knew what happens afterward. It looks like they are begging for you to put them out of their horrific misery....wait a minute. The Outrider Kngiths are said to turn into mad beasts by Pontiff's cursed eyes following them everywhere. Is that....literal? Do all the crazy berserker knights eventually turn into those things? They do share aspects in common, like frenzied relentless attacking and doing way too much damage.

skasion posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A CANDELABRA INTO THE COVENANT ITEM SLOT. IT’S FAITHFUL OF ALDRICH AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ALDRICH. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME UNKINDLED BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP WEAPON ART. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ATE LOTHRICS MOST DANGEROUS DEITY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO HOLLOWS IN MY CLEANSING CHAPEL AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE HOLLOWS IN CLEANSING CHAPEL CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE TELLS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY ANOR LONDO LESS LONELY BY FASTROLLING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING RECOVERY FRAMES EVERY MORNing

I hope this never ever fades into obscurity. Even if the only ones on the Internet who remember it are SA, that's good enough.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

il serpente cosmico posted:

I'm curious about what happened with Ocelotte and Gwynevere. All we really know about Ocelotte is that he was Gwynevere's youngest (and that she disappeared sometime after having him), and that he's very upsetting for Oceiros to think about. Is there any indication about what happened to him? Or are Lothric and Ocelotte the same person?

Also, why is the Goddess of fertility giving birth to a bunch of cripples? And do the Twin Princes care that their dad turned into a creepy dragon and he's just chilling in the basement?

do they ever say that Gwynevere is the Queen of Lothric? dont remember seeing that anywhere

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

What the fuuuuck. Not only did I not notice this animation because you kinda want to kill this gently caress as quickly as possible, I also didn't notice they had the gaping design like that hosed up monstrosity in the 1st game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Twice in the last couple hours the game has randomly killed all my USB input devices, and reconnecting them doesn't do anything, forcing me to hard reset.

What the gently caress?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I don't know what y'all are crying about. The very first time I put on the Blue Sentinel covenant item I got summoned 15 seconds later and am now standing at 4 ears in 5 attempts. It's constant.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CharlestonJew posted:

do they ever say that Gwynevere is the Queen of Lothric? dont remember seeing that anywhere

Couple of items you get hint at it. They don't say her name right out of the bat, but alot of signs is pointing it to being her.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gologle posted:

Holy poo poo. I knew about the visceral but it always just flat out killed them, I never knew what happens afterward. It looks like they are begging for you to put them out of their horrific misery....wait a minute. The Outrider Kngiths are said to turn into mad beasts by Pontiff's cursed eyes following them everywhere. Is that....literal? Do all the crazy berserker knights eventually turn into those things? They do share aspects in common, like frenzied relentless attacking and doing way too much damage.

I hope this never ever fades into obscurity. Even if the only ones on the Internet who remember it are SA, that's good enough.

I'm pretty sure the beasts are explicitly outrider knights that have gone full beast. Which is why the first one you encounter drops one of the Pontiff's eye rings.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Gologle posted:

Possibly, don't the dogs in boreal valley also have human skulls? Maybe the citizens turned into beasts as well?

loving perfect

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

JetsGuy posted:

ladies and gentlemen, this is what happens when modern gaming holds your hand through everything. You know what made a lot of NES games fun? That you had to figure it all out on your own.

Dark Souls may be hard as gently caress at first but I'm glad I played through it and while I'm having a tough time on the sorcerer playthrough, I enjoy it in a weird way because it's challenging and fun.

EDIT:
I knew a guy who literally mapped out every single loving tree in Zelda and went around Xing them off burning them looking for the dungeons in second quest.

Play NES Zelda with maps and poo poo and it's super easy and lame. You know, like every Zelda game in the modern era.

Original zelda came with a paper map you were supposed to write on and share secrets with friends.

So your point is dumb, they wanted everyone to have a full map by the second quest.

So play zelda with a map.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

Not explicitly, but read the description of the Divine Blessing in Dark Souls 1, and then in Dark Souls 3.

DS1:

quote:

Holy water from Goddess Gwynevere.

The Goddess of Sunlight, Gwynevere, daughter of the great Lord of Sunlight Gwyn, is cherished by all as the symbol of bounty and fertility.

DS3:

quote:

Holy water blessed by the Queen of Lothric.

The Queen of Lothric, married to the former King Oceiros, was initially revered as a goddess of fertility and bounty. After giving birth to Ocelotte, her youngest, she quietly disappeared.

Disappearing when poo poo starts to go south is kind of her thing, as we learned in DS1.

We also know from the Sun Princess Ring:

quote:

Gwynevere left her home with a great many other deities, and became a wife and mother, raising several heavenly children.

The several children are most likely Lothric, Lorian, and Ocelotte.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 5, 2016

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
How does a giant illusion even get preggers? Gwynevere was a giant living green screen, wasn't she?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
*gives birth to monster baby from insane halfdragon man*

"ah poo poo I'm outie"

Fargin Icehole posted:

How does a giant illusion even get preggers? Gwynevere was a giant living green screen, wasn't she?

She was an actual person, Gwyndolin was just projecting that + O&S + the sun. I think she scooted a while before DS1 takes place

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

CharlestonJew posted:

A bunch of items previously and consistently associated with Gwynevere now refer to the Queen of Lothric. There's a bunch of corroborating stuff like both figures being associated with fertility, bounty and producing heavenly children. That's sadly about as clear as Dark Souls Lore get.

il serpente cosmico posted:

The bad end is Gwynevere possibly became Rosaria. Her room is filled with cribs and its generally arranged in the same manner as it was in Anor Londo. Both figures are associated with mothers with the Queen of Lothric's items specifically mentioning she was held in high regard for her mother stuff. When you transpose Rosaria's soul, you get Gwynevere's signature miracle. Gotta wait for DLC to shed more light on this though since that's still pretty thin.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

Nah, that was just the illusion that Gwendolyn put together to prevent Anor Londo form falling apart. She had already fled by the time the chosen undead got there.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Fargin Icehole posted:

You sorta got it right. She was an illusion in Anor Londo, but that's because she already bounced a while ago.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

hard counter posted:

A bunch of items previously and consistently associated with Gwynevere now refer to the Queen of Lothric. There's a bunch of corroborating stuff like both figures being associated with fertility, bounty and producing heavenly children. That's sadly about as clear as Dark Souls Lore get.

The bad end is Gwynevere possibly became Rosaria. Her room is filled with cribs and its generally arranged in the same manner as it was in Anor Londo. Both figures are associated with mothers with the Queen of Lothric's items specifically mentioning she was held in high regard for her mothering. When you transpose Rosaria's soul, you get Gwynevere's signature miracle. Gotta wait for DLC to shed more light on this though since that's still pretty thin.

Oh duh, I totally forgot about the Rosaria room. I wonder where our little Ocelotte is, though.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Baby probaby died a tragic death. I mean the King went balls out Seath freak out nuts. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to make a hybird dragon baby with Seath's knowledge. He was all like yeah dragons rule!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Different, less idealised versions of everything from Ds1 exist elsewhere in the world(s)

If your an immortal pampered Goddess there's not much to do but bounce between kingdoms ruling them/getting worshipped, til your latest husband magic insanity kills your kid.

Maybe the real one will show up in a dlc. Sounds like she's still alive somewhere and that would be an ideal character for some overarching lore. Been around since the beginning.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Gotcha. Completely forgot about that little detail.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I think I got all I needed from Sirrus so I offed her. Still need Rosaria's soul for the Miracle but that's about it. Also, a Chaos +10 Astora GreatSword at 40/40 INT/FTH is stupid fun. Except I'm not used to big slow weapons at all and I only have the stamina for 2, maybe 3 swings :( Sitting at Slvl 116 and I'm getting Aldritch summons pretty constantly, so I might just dick around with this weapon for a while.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Stokes posted:

I don't know what y'all are crying about. The very first time I put on the Blue Sentinel covenant item I got summoned 15 seconds later and am now standing at 4 ears in 5 attempts. It's constant.

OHhhhh you have to put it on!

Well now it all works! thanks man!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

hard counter posted:

Ah ok, I think there was some lore back in DS1 about her leaving lordran to marry some fire god of another country. Oceiros doesn't seem very godly but its possible she remarried, idk

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Then why is Lothric a puny cripple. Luck of the draw? We need to discuss Giant DNA

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

hard counter posted:

The bad end is Gwynevere possibly became Rosaria. Her room is filled with cribs and its generally arranged in the same manner as it was in Anor Londo. Both figures are associated with mothers with the Queen of Lothric's items specifically mentioning she was held in high regard for her mother stuff. When you transpose Rosaria's soul, you get Gwynevere's signature miracle. Gotta wait for DLC to shed more light on this though since that's still pretty thin.

because of time travel B.S. and everything else going on, ocelot is kalameet and he does indeed have nothing to fear, as he was the child of dragons. he is a bad motherfucker.

edit: even mighty anor londo dared not provoke his ire

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 5, 2016

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Fargin Icehole posted:

Then why is Lothric a puny cripple. Luck of the draw? We need to discuss Giant DNA

Prolly cause royalty - historically speaking - have really poo poo DNA to begin with. Also I'm pretty sure Lorien was fine until he purposefully...cursed himself? I think? which is when we lost the use of his legs.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Yeah his transposed sword says he took out a demon before getting up to weird poo poo with his brother.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the DLC should let us kill Gwynevere and Ocelotte. Put an end to the loving gwyn family

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

haha you guys think they'll directly confirm something that is vaguely alluded to in flavor text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

homeless poster posted:

because of time travel B.S. and everything else going on, ocelot is kalameet and he does indeed have nothing to fear, as he was the child of dragons. he is a bad motherfucker.

edit: even mighty anor londo dared not provoke his ire

In Dark Souls 2 the way to access the Path of the Dragon covenant was to give a dragon egg you found to some random guy in lavaland. When you give him enough covenant items, he gives you the torso stone which gives you armor made from Kalameet's scales. I always assumed the egg was Kalameet's so maybe there's a mini-kalameet we'll meet in DLC since Dark Souls 3 is really big on callbacks to DS1.