Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hahaha the first episode. Seriously big spoilers:

"Hello, Dr. Jekyll."
"My name.. is Renfield."

I half expected Dracula to go "And here are my associates, the Mummy and Mr. T.C.F.T. Black Lagoon." Universal Monsters HOOO!

They're not holding back at all it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Wait did I miss it? I thought it didn't come back until May?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Showtime put the first one on YouTube for some countries.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
drat! Mr. Talbot's dad is not a nice person.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My wife had forgotten about this show--it turns out she didn't know it was renewed--so I was able to surprise her with the premiere. I avoided mentioning it for months, and was able to spring it on her when she was having a really crappy day, so go me.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Stare-Out posted:

They're not holding back at all it seems.

Hell no, and why should they? All that is entirely in the spirit of Penny Dreadfuls.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I really hope they aren't biting off more than they can chew this season. I mean, there are like seven separate loving arcs:

1. Victor's.
2. The Creature's.
3. Dr. Jekyll's.
4. Lily & Dorian's
5. Vanessa & The Master's.
6. Ethan & Hecate's.
7. Malcolm & Kaetenay's.

And yeah, Showtime did *not* do a great job of publicizing this.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 2, 2016

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I really hope they aren't biting off more than they can chew this season. I mean, there are like seven separate loving arcs:

1. Victor's.
2. The Creature's.
3. Dr. Jekyll's.
4. Lily & Dorian's
5. Vanessa & The Master's.
6. Ethan & Hecate's.
7. Malcolm & Kaetenay's.

And yeah, Showtime did *not* do a great job of publicizing this.

I feel like #1, #3, and #4 will converge fairly quickly, as will #6 and #7.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Penny Dreadful is the best comic book show out there, even though it isn't one.

Jekyll and Frankenstein being old school chums was not something I knew I wanted, but dang is that great.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

4. Lily & Dorian's

They were mercifully absent this week. Here's hoping it stays that way.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I personally hope for a return of Lily's original accent.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Good premiere, excited for the Old West adventures with Ethan, Sir Malcolm, and fuckin Wes Studi.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

My wife had forgotten about this show--it turns out she didn't know it was renewed--so I was able to surprise her with the premiere. I avoided mentioning it for months, and was able to spring it on her when she was having a really crappy day, so go me.

In the time off I'd forgotten how amazing Eva Green can be. So go her.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

drat! Mr. Talbot's dad is not a nice person.

I expected a night scene with all the ruffians who took Chandler becoming a pack of werewolves.

And it was amazing that The Sphinx seems to have not aged since 1999's Mystery Men!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKGX9tdPeN0

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 3, 2016

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
That was a really strong first episode. Sets up the entire season, gives you just enough to be interested, and features Eva Green being absolutely amazing.

I missed this show!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Really wasn't expecting Dracula to show up at the end. I thought the vampire from the first season was the only who could make other vampires? He was Satan's brother or something?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Why'd they have to kill off Sembene :cry:

In the novel, Dr. Seward meets Lucy and falls in love with her. Then he meets Renfield and takes him on as a patient. Then Lucy gets 'sick', Seward tries to treat her yadda yadda yadda vampires.

In our current version, Seward is a woman which I have no problem with, and Dracula has instructed Renfield to get info on Vanessa.
I like this new spin on the old story because we don't know exactly how it will play out, and that initial consultation conversation between Vanessa and Seward was incredibly well written and acted.
But man oh man why couldn't we get a look at Dracula at the end?! There was no need to cliffhanger that, we're all going to be back for the next episode anyway.

imdb.com only lists 9 episodes for Season 3, anyyone knoow if that's accurate?

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

imdb.com only lists 9 episodes for Season 3, anyyone knoow if that's accurate?

According to this, it was renewed for a nine episode season. Seems like a really odd number.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This season might be costing Showtime a small fortune. They're not HBO.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Really wasn't expecting Dracula to show up at the end. I thought the vampire from the first season was the only who could make other vampires? He was Satan's brother or something?

The Master. My coworker and I were talking about that, and how unfortunate it is they already killed off Van Hellsing.

Im not clear on who the brother of Satan is. The recap made a point of reminding us of the story of two falling from heaven, one to earth and one to hell. If last season was the one from Hell could Dracula be the one that fell to earth, and if any of the characters were guessing it was the Master they wouldn't see him coming then?

I'm sad they didnt do a production notes book like they did for the first season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Grinning Goblin posted:

According to this, it was renewed for a nine episode season. Seems like a really odd number.

John Logan writes every episode himself. Clearly Showtime wants longer seasons of 10 - 12 episodes, but he was pushing himself too hard to get 10 last season.

And yeah, the show's expensive, but a lot of the costs of the show are offset by production deals with British media companies.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Grinning Goblin posted:

It does seem like an odd number, but it's accurate. I'm working part-time at their foley studio and can definitely confirm its 9.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Feel like every blurb i see on tv sites gives me the impression this might be the last season too.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blackchamber posted:

The Master. My coworker and I were talking about that, and how unfortunate it is they already killed off Van Hellsing.

Im not clear on who the brother of Satan is. The recap made a point of reminding us of the story of two falling from heaven, one to earth and one to hell. If last season was the one from Hell could Dracula be the one that fell to earth, and if any of the characters were guessing it was the Master they wouldn't see him coming then?

I'm sad they didnt do a production notes book like they did for the first season.

As sad as Van Hellsing dying was it was quite possibly the most shocking/hilarious death I have ever seen, right behind Adam 2 being ripped in half by John Clare. Pretty much any time anyone gets introduced I am secretly hoping they get torn to pieces.

Also I'm sure John Clare is going to be really, really sad when he finds out Tennyson died.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

As sad as Van Hellsing dying was it was quite possibly the most shocking/hilarious death I have ever seen, right behind Adam 2 being ripped in half by John Clare. Pretty much any time anyone gets introduced I am secretly hoping they get torn to pieces.

Also I'm sure John Clare is going to be really, really sad when he finds out Tennyson died.

Well when he's done swimming back to England from the south pole I'm sure it will be a shock.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Oh, he's gonna be absolutely devastated, I think he'll actually use his all consuming grief to fuel his Hulkout rage when he needs to kill Bride of Friendzone this season.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I'm still not over Proteus dying.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm still not over Proteus dying.

He was the best. :(

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'
For those of you (like me) who loved the the museum set, they filmed it in the Natural History wing of the National museum of Ireland, in Dublin. You can take a virtual tour of it here http://www.museum.ie/Natural-History/Exhibitions/Current-Exhibitions/3D-Virtual-Visit-Natural-History .

Wish I knew that was there when I visited Dublin a few years back >.<

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
gently caress showtime if we don't get at least one more season of Dr. Hyde & Dr. Frankenstein being world weary lovesick broken mad doctors.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
I think Doc Sweet is sweet on some dicks. Eva Green is so gorgeous in this show.

edit: I should have waited til the end of the episode :toot:

Suxpool fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 9, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What a twist!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

What a twist!

If this is the kind of twist they're giving up in just the second episode I've really high hopes for this season.

And the biggest miracle was that Dr. Jekyll managed to make a Scotsman understandable, and make him ask for *water* when coming out of a homicidal rage.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Jekyll/Frankenstein teamup is everything I hoped for. And no emostein to ruin the episode.

Ms. Ives thinking she he can have a normal relationship with the first man she meets is adorable when her last two flings were an immortal serial killer and a werewolf. The therapist looking like she wanted to jump off a cliff while listening to her story was a nice touch as well.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Space Pussy posted:

Ms. Ives thinking she he can have a normal relationship with the first man she meets is adorable when her last two flings were an immortal serial killer and a werewolf.

I think the new one is Dracula

e: lol, I hadn't finished the episode when I posted this

exmarx fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 9, 2016

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
This show is so loving good

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The thing I take away from each episode is that Eva Green is a loving terrific actor and I wish she was in more stuff.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm not on Twitter, but ~boost the signal~ and all that: https://twitter.com/hashtag/RenewPennyDreadful?src=hash

I'm actually kind of disappointed Wes Studi's Twitter image isn't the helicopter he voiced in the 'Planes' sequel.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Space Pussy posted:

Jekyll/Frankenstein teamup is everything I hoped for. And no emostein to ruin the episode.

Ms. Ives thinking she he can have a normal relationship with the first man she meets is adorable when her last two flings were an immortal serial killer and a werewolf. The therapist looking like she wanted to jump off a cliff while listening to her story was a nice touch as well.

Losing your faith and dating the Monster Mash? She's having a tough year.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
She's a demonic witch...He's a werewolf...They fight crime in the old west!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I was watching a regular network show on CBS and they had an ad for Penny Dreadful that had spoilers. At the time I assumed it was for the next episode but last night's didn't cover what I saw. Mostly about the psychologist: they showed her in conversation with Timothy Dalton and she was offering to guide them down into the demon's lair - which implies that she's more than a simple therapist, I think. Maybe she is knowledgeable about her connections to the witch that lived out in the fens.

• Locked thread