Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Trying to remember the title of a 1970s crime/car-chase movie that ends with a train hitting the car. I believe it's something of a cult classic but I saw it one time in my life like 10 years ago on cable at 2AM and haven't seen it since. I think they were watching this very movie in a Tarrininto film, so it's probably somewhat known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Blazing Ownager posted:

Trying to remember the title of a 1970s crime/car-chase movie that ends with a train hitting the car. I believe it's something of a cult classic but I saw it one time in my life like 10 years ago on cable at 2AM and haven't seen it since. I think they were watching this very movie in a Tarrininto film, so it's probably somewhat known.

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (spoilering it because it's the surprise end of the movie)

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

ShineDog posted:

No, id say a bit older and the fight I think is kind of in an isolated temple in some hills or mountains maybe.

Could be Once Upon A Time in China, there's a fight at a dojo in the rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfoq4r3zYrE

Gloot
Jan 5, 2007
This is from a 70's-early 80's movie. I think a cop movie?

This guy is talking to a lifeguard (or something) on the beach. They both have really 70's looking hair and sideburns. One of them looks like Jimmy Buffett in the 70's. Some snotty kid comes up and say something. The kid's name is Machine Gun and the life guard tells the guy "he probably got that nickname because he jacks off 1000 times per day".

I am not having any luck looking that up on Google and don't want to press it any further lest I get labeled a sex offender.

Gloot fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 14, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gloot posted:

This is from a 70's-early 80's movie. I think a cop movie?

This guy is talking to a lifeguard (or something) on the beach. They both have really 70's looking hair and sideburns. One of them looks like Jimmy Buffett in the 70's. Some snotty kid comes up and say something. The kid's name is Machine Gun and the life guard tells the guy "he probably got that nickname because he jacks of 1000 times per day".

I am not having any luck looking that up on Google and don't want to press it any further lest I get labeled a sex offender.

The film Lifeguard (1976) has a credit for a (then) 20 year old actor who plays a character named Machine Gun.

e:
start at 3:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oIZ45Coo9k

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I've asked about this movie before, and no one had any idea, so I'm asking again:

The scene I remember is some cop, maybe Brian Dennehey, pulls over a couple driving a classic car. The guy driving says he did all the work on it himself. Eventually, the cop makes the guy get some grease from the car (saying "I thought you kept this car cherry, boy?") and uses it to surprise sex the girlfriend. He tells the guy he can turn around, and if the gun is not pointed at him, they can go, but if it is, he will kill them both. The guy doesn't turn around (the gun is not pointed at him).

The next day or something, the couple confronts the cop at some diner.

This has been driving me nuts forever.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

ladron posted:

I've asked about this movie before, and no one had any idea, so I'm asking again:

The scene I remember is some cop, maybe Brian Dennehey, pulls over a couple driving a classic car. The guy driving says he did all the work on it himself. Eventually, the cop makes the guy get some grease from the car (saying "I thought you kept this car cherry, boy?") and uses it to surprise sex the girlfriend. He tells the guy he can turn around, and if the gun is not pointed at him, they can go, but if it is, he will kill them both. The guy doesn't turn around (the gun is not pointed at him).

Jesus, this sounds like a scene from Bad Lieutenant. That said I don't remember that movie, because it's pretty hosed up.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Skunkrocker posted:

Jesus, this sounds like a scene from Bad Lieutenant. That said I don't remember that movie, because it's pretty hosed up.

it does, but it's not

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

ladron posted:

I thought briefly it might be Desperation but looking over the dialogue I can't find it.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Ape Agitator posted:

I thought briefly it might be Desperation but looking over the dialogue I can't find it.

should have mentioned that this is from the 90s or so; a roommate and I used to quote it at each other.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Ok a real long shot here if anyone can identify this one. This movie was probably the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. I watched it on Netflix in early to mid 2011 but I have no idea if it is on Netflix anymore. From what I can remember it was just a bunch of 20 somethings living in a smallish apartment whining about things for the entire movie. It had no discernible plot from what I remember (other than growing up/living on your own/trying to make it in life). I maybe remember a scene where they were just like lying on the floor or bed whining about nothing. The movie seemed to drag on forever. It was probably an independent movie and likely had a low rating on Netflix. It was probably made between 2005-2011 but I can't be 100% sure. Sorry for the poor description, if I think of anything else I'll add it later.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Homer J. Fong posted:

Ok a real long shot here if anyone can identify this one. This movie was probably the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. I watched it on Netflix in early to mid 2011 but I have no idea if it is on Netflix anymore. From what I can remember it was just a bunch of 20 somethings living in a smallish apartment whining about things for the entire movie. It had no discernible plot from what I remember (other than growing up/living on your own/trying to make it in life). I maybe remember a scene where they were just like lying on the floor or bed whining about nothing. The movie seemed to drag on forever. It was probably an independent movie and likely had a low rating on Netflix. It was probably made between 2005-2011 but I can't be 100% sure. Sorry for the poor description, if I think of anything else I'll add it later.

If you have a lot of patience: Netflix has a viewing history feature, though I don't know if it goes as far back as 2011 (mine has everything since I signed up in 2014). Go to My Account, then under My Profile there's a Viewing Activity button.

As for the film itself, it sounds pretty mumblecore-y. Maybe take a glance at the (admittedly horribly formatted) list here? I think Drinking Buddies was on Netflix a while back, at least in the UK, but it was 2013.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Homer J. Fong posted:

I haven't seen it, but this is pretty much every description I've heard for Tiny Furniture.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Era: VHS - early-to-mid 1980s, certainly not later than 1990
Type: Live-action theatrical release, with trailers containing all the best (IE, watchable) parts. Action/adventure, pretty sure it was PG-rated.
Keywords: clone/ripoff/coat-tail rider of Indiana Jones - manly (not really) adventurer in khakis and leather jacket facing the tropical <?> hazards and enemies both primitive and modern. IIRC he had a geeky glasses-wearing partner, and jeeps were featured heavily (possibly just in the trailer). Nobody famous that I can recall, but just a couple clean-shaven white guys. I remember renting this shite based purely on the trailer, and managed to sit through it exactly once.
Not: Raiders/sequels, King Solomon's Mines, Firewalker, Romancing the Stone, or any TV show/cartoon/anime.

I've been vaguely curious as to what this is for years now, and am still only vaguely interested. :v:

Yeah, it's taken me forever to find the title, and even more time to get around to posting it - turns out it was "Jake Speed". Trailer

Fair warning: even for 1980s schlock, this blows.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Allyn posted:

If you have a lot of patience: Netflix has a viewing history feature, though I don't know if it goes as far back as 2011 (mine has everything since I signed up in 2014). Go to My Account, then under My Profile there's a Viewing Activity button.

As for the film itself, it sounds pretty mumblecore-y. Maybe take a glance at the (admittedly horribly formatted) list here? I think Drinking Buddies was on Netflix a while back, at least in the UK, but it was 2013.

Origami Dali posted:

I haven't seen it, but this is pretty much every description I've heard for Tiny Furniture.

Was on a friends netflix account so no go there, but I'll give the mumblecore list a shot. Don't think it was Tiny Furniture but maybe I should brave the waters and watch part of a Lena Dunham movie just to be sure. Thanks!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Funny Ha Ha or Mutual Appreciation?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Two Finger posted:

anyone know a film where some people wind up in an undersea base and are trying to make it back to the surface and one of them goes in a small sub because he knows ice and then reports some condensation on the window and the other guy starts yelling down the radio that's not condensation right before the sub gets collapsed by the pressure?

nitrogen posted:

Was it The Abyss by any chance? Maybe also Gray Lady Down?

Both features minisub implosions.
Also on my mind are Deepstar Six and Levithian, both had undersea bases.

If not, maybe tis list will help.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_films

It sounds familliar. I

had a look on wiki at the synopsis of all of these but i don't believe it to be any of them, most definitely was not the abyss. i'll wrack my brains and try to come up with more details. the guy in the sub who reports the condensation is an older guy when the guy (and i think a girl) talking to him on the radio are youngish.
i looked on the submarine list but none of them seem to match. i remember very clearly that ice was a factor, and the two guys kind of argued over who should go, the younger one knew the minisub better but the older one went because he knew ice better

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Funny Ha Ha or Mutual Appreciation?

I looked into both of those movies and they aren't it. I'll keep looking though, thanks for the input. I think the production quality was slightly higher than these movies. From what I remember, they looked like actual movies, not some poo poo filmed on a home camcorder. Jesus christ mumblecore is awful.

tuwhitt
Jan 5, 2004
What the fuck does tuwhitt mean?

Two Finger posted:

had a look on wiki at the synopsis of all of these but i don't believe it to be any of them, most definitely was not the abyss. i'll wrack my brains and try to come up with more details. the guy in the sub who reports the condensation is an older guy when the guy (and i think a girl) talking to him on the radio are youngish.
i looked on the submarine list but none of them seem to match. i remember very clearly that ice was a factor, and the two guys kind of argued over who should go, the younger one knew the minisub better but the older one went because he knew ice better

Could this potentially be SPHERE?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Two Finger posted:

I don't mean to be argumentative, but that SERIOUSLY sounds like a scene in Gray Lady Down. I'm a bit of a sub movie afficianado, so this is going to drive me just as nuts.

Here's some snippets from it, beginning shows the 2 guys in the minisub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndp6DbawvBU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MmlAiyqJ7U
(in this movie, the sub actually gets crushed under a underwater rockslide, but there is a scene where 2 guys argue who goes down in it)

Just for the heck of it, here's Coffey's death in Abyss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhBPF4yfkI No ice, but the window cracking does look like ice.

Also, there's a sub implosion scene in "raise the titanic" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T-ZMDt_2IY

This is going to make ME nuts becuase the "thats not condensation!" line totally rings a bell with me...

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 22, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

nitrogen posted:

I don't mean to be argumentative, but that SERIOUSLY sounds like a scene in Gray Lady Down. I'm a bit of a sub movie afficianado, so this is going to drive me just as nuts.

<chop>

Also, there's a sub implosion scene in "raise the titanic" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T-ZMDt_2IY

This is going to make ME nuts becuase the "thats not condensation!" line totally rings a bell with me...

Dammit, now you're gonna have me scrabbling around to find Raise The Titanic this weekend...

And The Golden Rendezvous, although now sub-related I don't think.

Moldy old boat movies, jeez. May as well make it a triple feature with The Poseidon Adventure (original), which I also haven't seen in like 25-30 years.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
A friend and I saw a movie in a Blockbuster years ago that had a lovely CGI George Burns like with angel wings on a cloud. The tagline was something like "GEORGE BURNS IN HIS FIRST MOVIE SINCE HIS DEATH!" or something equally disrespectful. I'm almost positive Joan Rivers was on the box as well. I know this wasn't some weird fever dream because both me and my friend remember it, but I can't find what the hell it was by googling or anything. I've googled a bunch and looked at Joan Rivers IMDB for clews but I've come up empty handed. Please help me close this chapter of my life.

And before you say it I really don't think it was that weird lovely "Angels with Angles" movie, although the fact that that movie exists is insane as well.

Dr Dracula
Oct 30, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimey Drawer
Was there a movie about Vincent Van Gogh set in the present day but where he's also a character? This might just be my imagination from around a decade ago but I remember a trailer where he's talking with someone who goes "the painting sold for thirty" and then he goes "thirty dollars, pretty good" and then they go "no, thirty million" and then Vince has this shocked look on his face.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
I believe there was an episode of Doctor Who where they went back in time and told Van Gogh that after his lifetime he was considered a great artist whose work sold for millions.

EDIT: Here. Of course it turns out it wasn't back in time it was forward and that line isn't there, but close enough.

donquixotic fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 26, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Dracula posted:

Was there a movie about Vincent Van Gogh set in the present day but where he's also a character? This might just be my imagination from around a decade ago but I remember a trailer where he's talking with someone who goes "the painting sold for thirty" and then he goes "thirty dollars, pretty good" and then they go "no, thirty million" and then Vince has this shocked look on his face.

I think I've seen this and I was pretty sure it was just called "Vincent" but apparently I'm wrong about that and it's actually probably this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212537/

Dr Dracula
Oct 30, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into it.

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

I'm trying to find a modern-ish wuxia film. The only thing I remember clearly is some kind of a hermit stuck on the surface of a boulder fighting the main character. Vines were very prominent in the fight. The main character wins and then forces the hermit to teach him the techniques the hermit stole.

Edit: Should have googled hermit boulder. It was Lord of the Wu Tang.

Mugticket fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 27, 2016

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Mugticket posted:

I'm trying to find a modern-ish wuxia film. The only thing I remember clearly is some kind of a hermit stuck on the surface of a boulder fighting the main character. Vines were very prominent in the fight. The main character wins and then forces the hermit to teach him the techniques the hermit stole.

Edit: Should have googled hermit boulder. It was Lord of the Wu Tang.

Huh, I thought you meant the hermit stuck to a boulder who fights the main character with vines in Kung Fu Cult Master/The Evil Cult.

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Same film. The list that I googled just had that title written down. Just watched it and it was good.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hunting a post I made earlier in the thread.
Nothing to see here.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Two films my friend told me about a while back. First one is an old Japanese space movie. The effects were bad in that instead of the fire from the spaceship's rockets coming out straight, it came out and then went up. I honestly don't even care if it's the right movie, I just want to see a screenshot of something like that.

Second film had a bunch of clones of the main character. The way you can tell clones from the real person is that clones don't have belly buttons. The guy kills all of his clones, but at the end of the movie he takes his shirt off and there's no belly button.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Andorra posted:

Second film had a bunch of clones of the main character. The way you can tell clones from the real person is that clones don't have belly buttons. The guy kills all of his clones, but at the end of the movie he takes his shirt off and there's no belly button.

I'm sure it's a reference to an actual movie or story, but there's a The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode that's exactly this.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

LesterGroans posted:

I'm sure it's a reference to an actual movie or story, but there's a The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode that's exactly this.
Some quick googling suggests that the Simpsons reference is Multiplicity, but that doesn't seem to fit the original request.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

Haha I guess that's what it was. Thanks.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Andorra posted:

Two films my friend told me about a while back. First one is an old Japanese space movie. The effects were bad in that instead of the fire from the spaceship's rockets coming out straight, it came out and then went up. I honestly don't even care if it's the right movie, I just want to see a screenshot of something like that.

There's a lot of old Japanese scifi stuff that did really low budget effects like using fireworks as rocket thrusters or what have you. Could be a lot of things.

The first ep of Ultraman starts off with something like that for example, right after the theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x7_DBzBetM&t=101s

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Andorra posted:

Probably not the one you're looking for, but Prince of Space has a lot of hilariously poor effects and is easy to find.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

What's that movie where a guy gets an electrode planted into his brain, to control some behavior? They test out various stimulations, and he gets hooked on a certain type, then goes berserk and kills some people. In the end they're at a cemetary. I'm thinking it's from the 70s.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

What's that movie where a guy gets an electrode planted into his brain, to control some behavior? They test out various stimulations, and he gets hooked on a certain type, then goes berserk and kills some people. In the end they're at a cemetary. I'm thinking it's from the 70s.
The Terminal Man?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Runcible Cat posted:

The Terminal Man?

Yes. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Andorra posted:

[..] old Japanese space movie. The effects were bad in that instead of the fire from the spaceship's rockets coming out straight, it came out and then went up. I honestly don't even care if it's the right movie, I just want to see a screenshot of something like that.

Amazon Women on the Moon has a few brief scenes like that.

It's a very small part of a very ADHD comedy. It's quite dated, being an early 80's movie.

EDIT: have another!

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 5, 2016