Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Maybe. I don't like cutting gunner, but there's definitely no way that you cut Kanan. New title + Kanan is bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You can't cut gunner when the meta has shifted to nimble imperial ships again.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Rey certainly doesn't look bad, but ne'er has there been a more direct "okay, yeah, we hosed up" than Poe Dameron's re-release. For starters, he's literally just himself, except now he's PS9 - it's basically just a straight up errata. He didn't change pilot abilities or ships, his ability is exactly the same, etc. It feels like it was FFG admitting that when they introduced the T-70, it just straight up was not strong enough; this is another "hate to say I told you so" moment, but I've been saying this for the last three months. It comes into especially sharp relief when you compare the T-70 to the TIE/fo, its sister ship cross-faction.

I wouldn't suggest that the T-70 is the most underperforming ship in the Resistance/Rebellion stable, because I don't think that's true, so if what you believe about game balance is "buff the worst poo poo first," this update will seem kinda bad. My heart goes out to those who really want Etahn Abaht to shine. But the T-70 was printed at a straight-up subpar level, and one specific pilot has enjoyed any level of tournament success - a lot of which is owed to how badly he beat TLTs. This new stuff changes Poe's core identity in a way that feels incredibly satisfying for what it does.

For starters, Black One is actually even better than what I suggested like a million pages ago - I wanted a free Boost action after BRoll to encourage Poe to take BB-8, and I've always said that VI Poe was "I have one point free, what's left?" and not "start from VI Poe because that's good" - and now, with Black Leader and natural PS9, Poe is free to increase his action economy (Predator, the new tech option?) while actually being able to USE Boost, instead of just having it on his bar for the sake of Autothrusters. This stuff is basically the way Poe should have always worked. He's going to be an incredibly hefty cost, more than likely - I still think regen will trump BB-8 in terms of overall efficacy, sadly - but that's a good thing, in my view. Poe fits the Rebel/Resistance faction identity basically perfectly - he is an incredibly high-cost, incredibly effective "true ace," who can now legitimately fight other aces and win instead of feasting on generics.

Hitting Poe (especially BB-8 Poe) with munitions of any kind will be a goddamn nightmare, and at PS9 he is the perfect answer to The Inquisitor and Omega Leader, ruining their action economy and making life harder for two of the best ships in the game. He's still probably among the easiest aces in the game to block, but if you take Predator and the hypothetical tech upgrade that lets you perform an action before getting stressed by a redmove, he becomes much harder to anticipate when he can just TRoll on you at a moment's notice, buffing the poo poo out of that maneuver on the dial.

He'll come costed at 40+ points, but it will be really great to have a non-Corran beefy small ship ace who also plays the Resistance/Rebel identity of normalizing outcomes over the long game. He isn't going to be Corran Horn, but he shouldn't be Corran Horn, so yeah.

I'm really, really hype for Poe, even if he will still have serious flaws to contend with. I don't think he's OP or whatever, but I do think he instantly climbs up towards the top of the food chain in a way that is sustainable for the future. He can fight TLTs and stuff like it, and now he can fight aces at a high cost, and now he doesn't get auto-deleted by munitions! Yay Poe!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Corbeau posted:

Maybe. I don't like cutting gunner, but there's definitely no way that you cut Kanan. New title + Kanan is bonkers.

Gunner/predator/Han is a potent actionless source of offensive power that lets you do nothing but evade/boost while using c3p0 to give you that free evade.

The problem with Kanan/new falcon title is that it doesn't have the potency of the old falcon title/jan/ptl for the double evade action which can even be mixed with 3p0.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

Even more awesome is two of the PS 3 Phantoms, with Sensor Jammer, Intel, Stygium, and then Carnor Motherfucking Jax so your Phantoms get to automagically evade and jam away two hits from any shots. I played that a few times back before the meta shifted.

poo poo maybe I need to bust that back out.

Ha that jax list sounds baller.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Panzeh posted:

Gunner/predator/Han is a potent actionless source of offensive power that lets you do nothing but evade/boost while using c3p0 to give you that free evade.

The problem with Kanan/new falcon title is that it doesn't have the potency of the old falcon title/jan/ptl for the double evade action which can even be mixed with 3p0.

Like always, it's a tradeoff. The classic build has durability while the Rey build has mobility.

Seriously, white sloops with boost capability vastly increases your potential positioning envelope.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

"Until you activate in the combat phase, when defending cancel all of your opponent's hit and crit results after the compare results step."

Just wanted to say that while I know you were joking this isn't actually a bad design space to explore. Something like gaining cancelling crits until she activates or gaining evade/focus when shot at before her go would be pretty nice for a low PS pilot.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I feel like Lone Wolf Poe2.0 and a Falcon might have legs.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Jess and Tarn are the nerdy ones who hang out at the back of the Squadron bar playing Edge of the Empire and everyone ignores them because they're PS 3 :saddowns:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

R7 bleeps and bloops in binary : " take off ur glasses and let your hair down then Poe and Wedge will notice you."

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Otisburg posted:

I'm not sold on Lone Wolf Poe there because you don't get your rerolls if you want to Black One target locks off of Han/Rey. Or keep the potential of de-stressing with Kanaan for both ships.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It's more a matter of playing Lone Wolf Poe and then having a 1pt out just in case OL hits the table.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Lone Wolf Poe is sexy, but Predator Poe seems to synergize more effectively with Black One especially - that's going to be my first testing build once we know what's in the Tech upgrades

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Why would Predator Poe synergize more than PtL Poe?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't know which Poe everyone is talking about now.

9oe or 8oe? :gonk:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

AndyElusive posted:

I don't know which Poe everyone is talking about now.

9oe or 8oe? :gonk:

Just assume it's always 9.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Corbeau posted:

Why would Predator Poe synergize more than PtL Poe?

I'm not sure he would synergize more with Predator than PTL; we were talking about Lone Wolf and Predator, and if you have Lone Wolf you can't help other ships shed target locks and keep your bonus.

Here's a good example of synergy that might not actually be a good list.

quote:

Poe Dameron (43)
T-70 X-Wing (33)
Black One (1)
Predator (3)
R2-D2 (4)
Autothrusters (2)

Rey (55)
YT-1300 (45)
Millennium Falcon (1)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Kanan Jarrus (3)
Gunner (5)

Total: 98

If the Tech upgrade is 2 points or fewer, consider it included on Poe.

In this build, which I think other people have referenced, Poe can actually shed the locks off of Rey if she's getting focused super hard, while Kanan can help clear stress off of Poe that he doesn't want while still performing a white maneuver. If either of them take Lone Wolf, they can't help one another at all, whereas with PS10 Rey and Predator Poe, they can. Plus, Poe likes Predator about as much as he likes Lone Wolf, anyway; yeah, you lose a point, but c'est la vie.

Some Numbers posted:

Just assume it's always 9.

Considering that PS9 Poe is essentially just errata, yeah, I'd say this is the safe bet. PS9 Poe is likely his new default - you can considering PS8 Poe not unlike a super Adaptability that can only work downwards. -1 PS to get 2 more points to spend.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
There's been heaps of Poe in our meta recently and I've been straight up clowning on them with an Ion Cannon/advanced sensor brobots build.

What I'm saying is: feed me more poe.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

hoiyes posted:

There's been heaps of Poe in our meta recently and I've been straight up clowning on them with an Ion Cannon/advanced sensor brobots build.

List?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

hoiyes posted:

Don't think you'll be able to clown on Poe when FCS does nothing and he can T-Roll and still potentially get actions, could just be me

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Also chiming in with my excitement for the (goon-predicted) upcoming Rey+Poe2.0 expansion. I'm kind of the opposite of guts - the T70 upgrades are pretty nice (I hope Jess' ability's good enough to offset being PS3 though), but that new Millennium Falcon title + Rey is exactly what I was after, to start using my YT-1300 again; really happy with this expansion.
...however it does mean that I'll likely need to get the Ghost expansion as well, so I can get Kanan to make full use of the MF's new sloop ability. And then I'll need to figure out how I'm going to store these two new large ships, when I've already got a loose Decimator somewhere :saddowns:

EDIT: vv That is how you do it! :v: Very close to my own brobot build, too - I love me some AdvSen and IntDam on my brobots

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Aggressor: •IG-88C (52)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)
Predator (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Inertial Dampeners (1)

Aggressor: •IG-88B (48)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)
Predator (3)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Ion Cannon (3)
Inertial Dampeners (1)

Total: 100/100

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

Don't think you'll be able to clown on Poe when FCS does nothing and he can T-Roll and still potentially get actions, could just be me

You only need one hit to ionize him, with the gunner effect and predator you'll usually get him ionised quickly. With Advanced Sensors you can get behind then focus before bumping and he limps forward and does a focus, rinse repeat.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

guts and bolts posted:

I'm not sure he would synergize more with Predator than PTL; we were talking about Lone Wolf and Predator, and if you have Lone Wolf you can't help other ships shed target locks and keep your bonus.

If you're talking about Predator, then PtL is part of the conversation. Same slot, same point cost.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Corbeau posted:

If you're talking about Predator, then PtL is part of the conversation. Same slot, same point cost.

Except that literally was not a part of the conversation at all until you just now brought it up, when I said "I'm not sure PTL is worse than Predator."

Otisburg posted:

Corbeau posted:

It's more a matter of playing Lone Wolf Poe and then having a 1pt out just in case OL hits the table.

guts and bolts posted:

Lone Wolf Poe is sexy, but Predator Poe seems to synergize more effectively with Black One especially - that's going to be my first testing build once we know what's in the Tech upgrades

What I will say is this: if the Tech hypothetical upgrade that gives you an action after a red maneuver (but still stresses you out) exists and isn't 4 or more points, PTL Poe probably won't exist. The Tech upgrade giving him TRoll into Focus with Predator rerolls will just be strictly better.

hoiyes posted:

You only need one hit to ionize him, with the gunner effect and predator you'll usually get him ionised quickly. With Advanced Sensors you can get behind then focus before bumping and he limps forward and does a focus, rinse repeat.

You're the Brobot whisperer then, because I've never had a problem with being in arc of both Brobots at once, with any permutation of Poe I've played. If what you're saying is "don't be in IG-88B's arc," I can probably manage that at PS9 with a usable Boost

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I just went to starwars.com and one of the Resistance T70 pilots is named Yolo Ziff. Holy gently caress

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Anyone want to get on TTS around 9:30ish? I need to practice this ps5 phantom list. :)

Edit. Central time.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

General Battuta posted:

I just went to starwars.com and one of the Resistance T70 pilots is named Yolo Ziff. Holy gently caress

this is the best life I'm living

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ello Asty and Grizz Frix are still the best "ridiculous pilot names".

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

this is the best life I'm living

The actor who played him turns out is the video editor for the Force Awakens trailers.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Some Numbers posted:

That's the PS3 Defender, right? I'm almost certain I don't need mine.

You got PMs? If not, email me. Kilo147@ live.com

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

guts and bolts posted:

Except that literally was not a part of the conversation at all until you just now brought it up, when I said "I'm not sure PTL is worse than Predator."

Multiple people, including me, brought up Lone Wolf. You brought up Predator as an alternative to LW. I brought up PtL as an alternative to Predator. PtL is as much part of the conversation as Predator is. If PtL isn't part of the conversation, then neither is Predator.

Anyway, the actual point of my posts is that I think Predator is so outclassed by PtL in Poe's case (because he has Boost, a repositioning ability) that Predator isn't worth serious consideration.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 5, 2016

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

General Battuta posted:

Tested better than Zolo Yiff.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Well I actually found a smallish local sale and was like gently caress it I want new toys today rather than saving 13 dollars and waiting a week + so I got a Raider, Defender, and Phantom to try out the Imperial Girl Squad. It was a lot of fun. Juno might be my favorite pilot now, after Jake, just in terms of being fun as hell to fly. What I used was

quote:

Juno Eclipse (28)
Adaptability (0)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
TIE/x1 (0)

"Whisper" (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

Countess Ryad (34)
Adaptability (0)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Total: 100

I'm open in terms of how to build them better, as I have no idea and I sort of just stuck things on because oh, this looks fun. :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Anyone want to get on TTS around 9:30ish? I need to practice this ps5 phantom list. :)

Edit. Central time.

Alright guys last chance before I go play Dark Souls instead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Eimi posted:

Well I actually found a smallish local sale and was like gently caress it I want new toys today rather than saving 13 dollars and waiting a week + so I got a Raider, Defender, and Phantom to try out the Imperial Girl Squad. It was a lot of fun. Juno might be my favorite pilot now, after Jake, just in terms of being fun as hell to fly. What I used was

I'm open in terms of how to build them better, as I have no idea and I sort of just stuck things on because oh, this looks fun. :v:

Those are all good, solid builds so I don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of "why did you put that on it's dumb." The only real drawback to those three is that the overall cost of the ships makes it difficult to find room for everything you might want on any one of them. Ryad in particular benefits from PtL while Juno can get some use out of the Twin Ion mk2s.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kai Tave posted:

Those are all good, solid builds so I don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of "why did you put that on it's dumb." The only real drawback to those three is that the overall cost of the ships makes it difficult to find room for everything you might want on any one of them. Ryad in particular benefits from PtL while Juno can get some use out of the Twin Ion mk2s.

Yeah, it's very snuggly fitted in, unless you cut some key aspects that make Whisper Whisper. Adapt can have some use against swarms, though Ryad is never a priority target anyway. At least by pretending she's the Inquis I didn't feel a big need to K turn Juno.

Also speaking of squads, I see everyone is thinking about pairing Fat Poe with a large base ship, but does Fat Poe have any place in a 3 ship build? I mean current Poe is pretty expensive already, so it almost seems like Fat Poe is just for a two ship build.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 5, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hot take: Poe shouldn't be as good a pilot as Wedge :colbert:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Corbeau posted:

Multiple people, including me, brought up Lone Wolf. You brought up Predator as an alternative to LW. I brought up PtL as an alternative to Predator. PtL is as much part of the conversation as Predator is. If PtL isn't part of the conversation, then neither is Predator.

Anyway, the actual point of my posts is that I think Predator is so outclassed by PtL in Poe's case (because he has Boost, a repositioning ability) that Predator isn't worth serious consideration.

I emphatically disagree with you that PtL in any way outclasses Predator for the common builds you're likely to see on PS9 Poe, especially since the Pattern Analysis tech upgrade appears to genuinely be "do a red maneuver, then do an action, then assign stress." In fact, the exact opposite would become true - PtL would be so bad on Poe it may as well not exist.

Keep in mind that what you get from PtL is a discretionary move and then a Focus token at PS9, where the tradeoff is a stress (thereby locking you into the T-70's bad green moves). If what you're saying is you'd rather TL and Focus for your PtL actions, Predator functions just fine for rerolls and doesn't leave you as vulnerable on action denial. If you get stress controlled as PS9 Poe, which is easier than it is with any other "ace killer" ace, PtL becomes 3 points of "this card does nothing." To say that it just straight beats Predator is really, really flawed thinking.

Also, barring the other updates we haven't seen yet, PS9 Poe and the general existence of Imp Aces as the meta will bring back stress control in a big way, especially to hurt Poe, the Inquisitor, Omega Leader, et al. That's why I think R5-P9 Poe is still not the best choice - if you're going regen, you need to take R2-D2, or you risk getting super hosed on a block or post-stress control.

Also also, the way you phrased what you said just came off as if the discussion was already about PtL, when it wasn't - it was about Lone Wolf, and I suggested an alternative that synergizes with Black Leader better than Lone Wolf does (which isn't hard because Lone Wolf and Black Leader literally do not work together unless you only ever intend to use it on Poe himself). That's all. No harm, no foul.

StashAugustine posted:

This take is too hot for me, but not for Poe. He's one hell of a pilot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

StashAugustine posted:

Poe is a better pilot, but Wedge is a better squad leader. Even in the books, Wedge was never the best in sheer piloting skill.

• Locked thread