Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Uh, the commentators call them "dancers"? (Go back a little bit from that link) I mean, to my untrained eye it looks like they are actually trying to earnestly demo HEMA type stuff, albeit slowly and roughly in time to the music. Are the commentators confused, being jerks, or am I mistaken and it is just weird interpretive dance?
At any rate, that's one bizarre soundtrack for a fencing bout.
In the first video? I think it's just stage fighting. There are bits I recognize, but all the movements are too big and the footwork makes no sense. Look at that rapier and dagger bit, that's classic Flynn right there.

Fake edit: Oh wait what it's the same group doing the sparring? Now I'm thoroughly confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Siivola posted:

In the first video? I think it's just stage fighting. There are bits I recognize, but all the movements are too big and the footwork makes no sense. Look at that rapier and dagger bit, that's classic Flynn right there.

Fake edit: Oh wait what it's the same group doing the sparring? Now I'm thoroughly confused.

The rapier stuff seemed particularly cut heavy, which is weird since most documents I've read on rapier focus on the thrust more than anything.

Also that long sword stuff was abysmal. Show sparring with steel feders at least! And their stances are just awful.

I don't mean to sound like a snob, I just hate when people give awkward demos of any martial art, especially to people who practice other arts or laymen. The person who owns the space we train in ran a demo at a Renn faire and it was so embarrassing. They sparred with lovely nylon swords, which are the same type used in the video and they look like toys, and it was only noobs fighting so it looked sloppy and awful.

If you're gonna run a demo, have your best fighters fight. People with at least good posture and well-kept gear.

Basically, follow the rules people use in Japanese swordsmanship demos. High level students, lots of poise, clean gear, maybe some paired techniques and katas. That stuff looks impressive and people know what's happening.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 26, 2016

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So, for those of you that use feders, who do you like for them? I've seen lots of recommendations for Regenyei, and I know DandyLion likes the Castille Armory ones. The Albion ones would be great, but I don't think I wanna wait that long.

And speaking of feders, what's the consensus on side rings?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

10 Beers posted:

So, for those of you that use feders, who do you like for them? I've seen lots of recommendations for Regenyei, and I know DandyLion likes the Castille Armory ones. The Albion ones would be great, but I don't think I wanna wait that long.

And speaking of feders, what's the consensus on side rings?

Regenyei is probably the best bet. Castille are too light and offer very little presence in the bind. They're cheap for a reason, basically. Good for SCA combat, bad for HEMA. Regenyei is one of the best feders on the market and they're reasonably priced. Ensifer is good too, but they are pricey and can take a while. Same with albion.

Side rings are fine but all they do is add weight and aren't necessarily historical depending on the time period you're studying. Some systems will have you thumbing the blade, which is difficult with a side ring. Ultimately they're a preference.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

From the ones I know, Regenyei makes good workhorses, Arms & Armor are really nice but pricey, and Viktor Berbekucz's ones are wobbly and terrible.

Siderings, ehhh, I'm not really a fan. I just don't really see when they would be useful, especially on a feder with a wider schilt. If you're getting smacked on the fingers during drills, you need to fix your parries and maybe tell your partner to gently caress off tone it down while you do. And if you're getting hit on the fingers while sparring, that's what the gloves are for.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Siivola posted:

Siderings, ehhh, I'm not really a fan. I just don't really see when they would be

They look cool, of course!

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
In olympic fencing news, Vezzali retired today, for real this time. Even though I personally wasn't a huge fan of her fencing style (and the fact that she merely won bouts thanks to her last name), she's still one if not the best fencers in modern history.

On other news:

:psyduck:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Verisimilidude posted:

Side rings are fine but all they do is add weight and aren't necessarily historical depending on the time period you're studying. Some systems will have you thumbing the blade, which is difficult with a side ring. Ultimately they're a preference.

There are many later period historic longsword examples with side-rings. Regardless of our ability to interpret their effectiveness, you can rest assured they did have some reason/value or else we wouldn't be seeing them. The time period around which they are present was still witness to longsword engagements (duels), so we can ascertain their effectiveness was tested in the crucible of a time period that saw actual combat with them.

That being said, I share your sentiments for their necessity. Though I haven't played with side ring variants as much, the extra value in hand protection is traded in limited gripping/thumbing arrangements on the simpler cruciform variants.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Real talk, if I had to pick a sword to cut dudes up in my daily life, I would probably opt for side rings as well. Knucklebow too, if it was a single-handed sword. I'm attached to my fingers.

But with a training sword, ehh, there's just no excuse to simply learn to parry better. :shrug:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

If you're gonna run a demo, have your best fighters fight. People with at least good posture and well-kept gear.
My local university olympic club keeps trying to have their semi-skilled fencers do the demos instead of their decent people because they don't want to scare the newbies away. I don't understand, beginner epee looks awful. Two higher-rated people going at it looks goddamn awesome if they're good, and the dichotomy gets even worse with other weapons. They've got access to two people going to Div 1A NACs, and they insist on putting up Es and Ds. It just doesn't look good, but the A's can be good enough to know to just loosen up and go for some showy, fun, awesome touches because they're not worried about the basics. Maybe next year.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Siivola posted:

Real talk, if I had to pick a sword to cut dudes up in my daily life, I would probably opt for side rings as well. Knucklebow too, if it was a single-handed sword. I'm attached to my fingers.

But with a training sword, ehh, there's just no excuse to simply learn to parry better. :shrug:

This is my issue. People shouldn't be neglecting their ability to parry effectively just because a sidering will protect their hands to some degree. In general practice, try to get the motions right first; and a non-sidering sword will give better feedback in that regard.

This is also anecdotal but in American tournaments at least I rarely see people who use siderings advancing particularly far. If they were that effective at protecting your hands, you'd think they'd be the new standard considering how many people like to game tournaments. This could be an artifact of how bulky gloves are, which makes siderings less optimal. I've held several feders with siderings and they all felt heavier and less balanced (for lack of a better word) than their normal counterparts.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaking of parrying better, note to self: I'm getting way too many doubles and that's because I'm not paying enough attention to the other guy's sword.

Also, dear me, loving eat properly on freeplay days, christ. Storming off the ring halfway through the session is neither cool nor good. :sigh:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Siivola posted:

Also, dear me, loving eat properly on freeplay days, christ. Storming off the ring halfway through the session is neither cool nor good. :sigh:

You mean like a snickers?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Siivola posted:

Speaking of parrying better, note to self: I'm getting way too many doubles and that's because I'm not paying enough attention to the other guy's sword.

Kebab with double the meat and aurajuusto ½ hour before sparring. At least it's not BJJ.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

DandyLion posted:

You mean like a snickers?
Well I die if I eat peanuts, but yeah, in principle.

I think I need to rope some of the guys to fence me on weekends or something so I can get used to it all. Trying to deal with all the kit and the heat and someone trying to whack me in the head for real is overwhelming enough that I run out of patience for poo poo like "five pushups for every double hit". No, gently caress you, I finally have a kit that fits, I just want to loving fence instead of fiddling with rules.

On the upside, taught a class today and it went swimmingly. :toot: Did a bunch of grappling and dagger stuff, I left all sword stuff to the chap running the class immediately afterwards. Dagger stuff best stuff.

General Emergency posted:

Kebab with double the meat and aurajuusto ½ hour before sparring. At least it's not BJJ.
:barf:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Siivola posted:

...run out of patience for poo poo like "five pushups for every double hit".

Seriously, fencers don't need arms, do 10 squats.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Siivola posted:

poo poo like "five pushups for every double hit"

That sounds goddamned obnoxiously awful.

No ideas, DandyLion.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

dupersaurus posted:

Seriously, fencers don't need arms, do 10 squats.

This is extremely good advice if you want things like "using silverware" or "unlocking a door" to be a constant struggle.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Don't suspend training with push ups or squats. Get a full match, and then do those things anyway! That would piss me the gently caress off, but I'm also a New Yorker with zero patience.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah no we didn't suspend the bouts or anything. I walked off because I was halfway through my first match, my opponent had a lead on me and we'd already racked up fifteen pushups. I figured I'd rather cut my losses than risk ending up with twenty more by the end of the day.

I just wanted to have a bash, dangit.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I don't have a problem with "do a couple of pushups" type "punishment" or whatever. It's really not that taxing and more of a joke than anything. But screw the chucklefuck who wants you to do burpees as a punishment. gently caress that guy and gently caress burpees.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

What's the point of such punishments, beyond degrading the one being punished? "You hosed up, so go do an arbitrary amount of unrelated activities; that'll teach you!" That kind of pedagogy died out a long time ago in mainstream teaching for good reason - it doesn't work! If anything, it will just cause any errors or misconceptions to get more firmly ingrained.

Rather, the instructor (or coach/head honcho/whatever) should point out where you start loving up, and form some sort of exercise where you can unfuck whatever it is that's causing the double hits. I mean, this isn't even some advanced teaching poo poo they save only for those initiated into the inner circle, it's just common sense.

Grrr, bad teaching makes me angry! :mad:

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Don't suspend training with push ups or squats. Get a full match, and then do those things anyway! That would piss me the gently caress off, but I'm also a New Yorker with zero patience.

I agree with this except for the last part gently caress nyc

inscrutable horse posted:

Rather, the instructor (or coach/head honcho/whatever) should point out where you start loving up, and form some sort of exercise where you can unfuck whatever it is that's causing the double hits.

This makes sense for problems of form but for any sport or any other dynamic activity, problems of judgement aren't so easy to create exercises for, it's just practice practice practice, which goes to the point above.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

inscrutable horse posted:

What's the point of such punishments, beyond degrading the one being punished? "You hosed up, so go do an arbitrary amount of unrelated activities; that'll teach you!" That kind of pedagogy died out a long time ago in mainstream teaching for good reason - it doesn't work! If anything, it will just cause any errors or misconceptions to get more firmly ingrained.

Rather, the instructor (or coach/head honcho/whatever) should point out where you start loving up, and form some sort of exercise where you can unfuck whatever it is that's causing the double hits. I mean, this isn't even some advanced teaching poo poo they save only for those initiated into the inner circle, it's just common sense.

Grrr, bad teaching makes me angry! :mad:

Exactly! I'm at fencing practice to learn and to, you know, loving fence! I can do pushups/squats/whatever on my own time, but I can't necessarily fence against someone else. Honestly, if my technique is wrong or my stance is out of sorts when I'm fighting against you, hit me! Let me see where I'm actually making the mistake and try to fix it instead of doing calisthenics.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

This makes sense for problems of form but for any sport or any other dynamic activity, problems of judgement aren't so easy to create exercises for, it's just practice practice practice, which goes to the point above.
In my particular case, the problem was kinda more one of focus, and trying to fix one of those with an external punishment turned out to be counterproductive as I was now occupied with counting my pushups (and cursing the ruleset) in addition to everything else.

And anyway, problems of judgment are best corrected with decision drills that fail if you judge incorrectly.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

Yeah no we didn't suspend the bouts or anything. I walked off because I was halfway through my first match, my opponent had a lead on me and we'd already racked up fifteen pushups. I figured I'd rather cut my losses than risk ending up with twenty more by the end of the day.

I just wanted to have a bash, dangit.

Seriously? You're whining this much about a few push-ups?.And you walk off to avoid them?. If you quit that easily, what are you going to do when it gets harder down the line?.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

gently caress off.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
lol

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
If you do 20 pushups you die

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
[Looks nervously at trying pistol squats briefly every lesson]

We're doing a brief about of fitness stuff every lesson in the beginning to teach us some stuff to do in our own time, but it's definitely not the focus, because I quote:

"I am running a fencing class, not a gym".

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
my sword made it fine through the baggage check, and is now stood up at the head of my bunk in the hostel. :)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This thing started today and is very technically is about swords:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqE-FXzx3Lo

Brackets can be found here. First up are the duels.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Siivola posted:

This thing started today and is very technically is about swords:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqE-FXzx3Lo

Brackets can be found here. First up are the duels.

Every time I watch battle of nations I think "maybe it got better since last time" and it's still just awkward looking flailing. I'm sure there's skill and physicality involved, but it just looks really dumb.

The biggest issue I have is that the identity of BoN and ACL is that they wear armor, but the things you're supposed to do against someone in armor are explicitly banned by the rules (certain throws, arm locks, and thrusting) so by literally hammering away at each other with heavier-than-normal weapons (in heavier-than-normal armor mind you) you're doing exactly the opposite of what actual armored combat is. The historical-ness is almost artificial. You could do the exact same thing but in modern sporting equipment with big foam boffers like in American Gladiator and get the same result.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 5, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The polearm fighters seem to have already figured out the secrets of "parrying". There's hope for them yet! :v:

Verisimilidude posted:

The biggest issue I have is that the identity of BoN and ACL is that they wear armor, but the things you're supposed to do against someone in armor are explicitly banned by the rules (certain throws, arm locks, and thrusting) so by literally hammering away at each other with heavier-than-normal weapons (in heavier-than-normal armor mind you) you're doing exactly the opposite of what actual armored combat is. The historical-ness is almost artificial. You could do the exact same thing but in modern sporting equipment with big foam boffers like in American Gladiator and get the same result.
I like the triathlon format that's been going on today, because it's all about counted blows instead of kneecapping people and giving them concussions. I've heard (but haven't been able to verify) that actual medieval tournaments were sometimes fought with bated weapons, and the objective was to give the other guy thirty blows to the helmet. So today's been kind of nice, except, y'know, the abysmal lack of technique.

I need to start doing those pushups, I'm pretty sure I could beat these nerds up.

Edit: I loving hate their longsword stances, christ. It's like Pflug and Vom Tag had a particularly ugly baby. :cripes:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 5, 2016

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Siivola posted:

Edit: I loving hate their longsword stances, christ. It's like Pflug and Vom Tag had a particularly ugly baby. :cripes:

It's because their padding is so ridiculously thick they straight up can't move their arms correctly. If stabs and wrestling weren't banned things would go differently. it's also part of why the bowling ball technique is viable.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

It's because their padding is so ridiculously thick they straight up can't move their arms correctly. If stabs and wrestling weren't banned things would go differently. it's also part of why the bowling ball technique is viable.

There's an ACL group at my school and they don't really teach technique other than "smash your opponent" in different angles. Their training tool is a tire with a clock face drawn on where you aim for different numbers. "Smash 7! Smash 3! Smash 12!"

They've busted the gekken swords we use so badly that they're unsafe for practice, because literally all they do is smash each other as hard as physically possible.

Also they spend maybe 10 minutes actually practicing, the rest of the time gearing up or down. There's maybe 6 of them but you'd swear there were a dozen with how much space they take up with random bits of armor, weapons, and other poo poo.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Sounds like a sport for really annoying rich people. How historical!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Yeah that's another thing that annoys me. In the triathlon, they would do a million times better if they shaved their longswords to the minimum allowed weight (of 1500 grams :v:) – and then they wouldn't have to pad so drat much!

And I think I mentioned this the other day, but in the team battles wrestling things are actually mostly allowed, with the exceptions of joint locks and "arc throws". And I have to admit I can't really fault them for prohibiting standing locks and throws where you might land on your neck. I saw lots of judo foot sweeps when I went to see the Finnish team, but there's so much more they could be doing. I just want to see some polearm trips, and maybe someone shooting a double.

It just makes me so mad to see people game rulesets badly. :argh:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=733ITpn6lG4

Fencing & Red Bull?
I respect his skill, but certainly not his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

http://youtu.be/kL9BQV9YPlU

Here's a video of test cutting instructed in part by NYC's own Sang Kim (the first guy). He's arguably one of the best swordsman in the world, and I say that without exaggeration.

Also check out the big fat dodan blade that gets used around the 4:30 mark. That thing is a beast!