Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

If you say "jif" that's fine, I'll agree to disagree. "Gib" instead of "jib" is loving awful, though. It's from giblet, for gently caress's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

Is there a company that offers good laptop pricing for non-profits? The non-profit in question has unlimited licenses for Windows 7 Pro and Office, if they can get them without Windows licensing for cheaper. I know Dell just offers attractive lease terms.

They're looking for just productivity laptops, doesn't need to be anything heavy-duty for video editing or anything. Probably 15-17", looking to last at least a few years.

Techsoup has some laptops, Dell E7250, Lenovo, and HP options. It all includes an OS and limited support.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

fishmech posted:

Yes it is. He came up with the extension first with how to pronounce it, and then Compuserve, who was paying him to make it, wanted it to stand for something.

so does he spell "jiffy" with a G?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

President Ark posted:

so does he spell "jiffy" with a G?

It's not a pun when it's just the regular word.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

nielsm posted:

The logistics of a proper fix for MAX_PATH is insane, you have 30 years worth of software with hard buffer length assumptions.
The kernel does support very long paths and applications can use them, but need to call the API differently. Good library support for that would go 80% of the way to make new applications support arbitrary path lengths, but old software and 3rd-party libraries would still have all the problems.

What's stopping Microsoft from doing something special with all new UWP Apps to meet this exact need?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Ozz81 posted:

I. loving. LOATHE. Salespeople. Especially ones that think they're smarter than they are, and get engineers caught up in a bunch of bullshit with clients while simultaneously evading responsibility for it.

I've had to deal with some crap sales dumps on us sometimes. Back when I worked desktops and laptops often enough Sales would sell the higher warranty as if it was a magic "you don't have to do anything!" support structure. We only have one kind of support like that and it's an add-on entitlement and costs a fuckton of money. I've only seen it once in over 4 years of working here.

So we get people expecting us to just send a tech to work on their issue and get mad when we explain the actual warranty they actually got

On the other hand, I get sick of cheapskates who buy the cheapest warranties with the cheapest hardware and demand the everything under the loving sun. Especially when it "inconveniences them". And wouldn't you know it, I got something pretty close to that today. Which leads me into:

Thing's pissing me off: Customers who go cheap and put their servers into remote smart-hand data centers, don't want those hands to do anything except external reseating of parts as well as maybe memory, and expect us to make up the difference for free when poo poo hits the fan.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
gently caress people who send all direct messages to people in Skype for Bussiness in a group chat using high importance. Everyone has Ego-Feed configured, and this chat requires us to respond to all alerts/occasionally tab in for updates as requested.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

gently caress people who send all direct messages to people in Skype for Bussiness in a group chat using high importance. Everyone has Ego-Feed configured, and this chat requires us to respond to all alerts/occasionally tab in for updates as requested.

Yeah that wouldn't last long in my evironment. Its either high importance or its not. People abusing it would lose the privilege.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

hihifellow posted:

Oh cool, the scumbag of a desktop tech my boss is protecting for some reason has complained about me enough I'm starting to get blowback. I'm sorry you child abusing piece of poo poo, but I'm still gonna refuse to work with you.

I feel like I'm missing some context here. I may have missed an earlier vent by you.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

flosofl posted:

I feel like I'm missing some context here. I may have missed an earlier vent by you.

I haven't posted about this guy much since I'd rather not have anything to do with him, but to sum it all up:

Desktop guy gets hired. People have reservations about him but he's friendly enough. Time goes on we find out he's dangerously incompetent, a pathological liar, a disgusting slob, and physically abusing his nephew. My boss, who is his as well, doesn't want to hear anything bad about him but will listen to his complaints about everyone who doesn't want to work with him for the reasons above. I'm just the latest person he's complained about.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
pissing me off: Our loving engineers.

These guys are brilliant, smarter than I am, except they come up with the stupidest loving ideas sometimes.

We have a voip product that they've added lync functionality to. Instead of just using microsoft's standard API and published norms for downloading and applying normalization rules they've built some wonky one off bullshit app that downloads the dialing rules from Lync and uploads them to our device as an .xml file and THEN they want the device to also have a direct SIP connection to a local SBC so our device can decide on sending a call to lync or to the SBC directly.

loving engineers.

edit: oh, forgot the best thing: They only allowed a very small memory footprint for the dialing rules, so when they tested it with our corp rules (we only have 16, nothing by lync standards) it crashed the product. :sigh:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bob Morales posted:

I've seen issues like that on slower links because we had auto-negotiate turned on for that switch port, instead of locking it at 100mb

poo poo pissing me off right now, the exact opposite of this. New AT&T fiber delivered for a customer that has their own corporate firewall working alongside our router for voice. There's a dumb switch between their existing modem and the two devices.

AT&T now insists that their equipment MUST be set to 100/Full or their monitoring doesn't work properly. Beyond the absurdity of that claim in the first place, they're effectively telling me that I need to put a smart switch in this spot for no reason other than their system is lovely, because the dumb switch will try to autonegotiate and then ends up on half duplex when AT&T's box doesn't respond.

Hardcoded interfaces are for when you're stuck with a lovely setup that doesn't work otherwise. Ancient but expensive equipment that can't be easily replaced, out-of-spec runs without budget to do it right, etc. Not for standard deployment where there's 3 feet of Cat6 between two brand new devices.

How happy I will be when 100mbit handoffs are old news and everyone's using gigabit or better, where autonegotiation is mandatory.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wolrah posted:

poo poo pissing me off right now, the exact opposite of this. New AT&T fiber delivered for a customer that has their own corporate firewall working alongside our router for voice. There's a dumb switch between their existing modem and the two devices.

AT&T now insists that their equipment MUST be set to 100/Full or their monitoring doesn't work properly.

Our was AT&T too. They gave me some explanation of why and it made sense but I don't remember what it was.

Set it to auto and watch how spiky the connection gets and how low it peaks out compared to setting it at 100. Weird.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DigitalMocking posted:

pissing me off: Our loving engineers.

These guys are brilliant, smarter than I am, except they come up with the stupidest loving ideas sometimes.

This is why a good engineering manager is worth their weight in gold. You've gotta have someone who speaks both engineer and regular person.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Someone who takes the specifications from the customer, and takes them to the software engineers? Someone who has people skills, perhaps?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

hihifellow posted:

I haven't posted about this guy much since I'd rather not have anything to do with him, but to sum it all up:

Desktop guy gets hired. People have reservations about him but he's friendly enough. Time goes on we find out he's dangerously incompetent, a pathological liar, a disgusting slob, and physically abusing his nephew. My boss, who is his as well, doesn't want to hear anything bad about him but will listen to his complaints about everyone who doesn't want to work with him for the reasons above. I'm just the latest person he's complained about.

gently caress it, call social services or CPS anonymously on the rear end in a top hat desktop tech and watch the fireworks. If your boss still wants to stick up for the douche for whatever reason, that's on him, and now you've got documented proof that both are pieces of poo poo.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Pissing me off: our loving developers.

These asshats still have an application that relies on .NET 1.1, don't hash passwords, and today are bitching at us that they have to interact with Server 2012. Sorry that you guys can't get used to an OS that came out 4 years ago, but you are .NET developers so maybe stay on top of what Microsoft is doing?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

beepsandboops posted:

Pissing me off: our loving developers.

These asshats still have an application that relies on .NET 1.1, don't hash passwords, and today are bitching at us that they have to interact with Server 2012. Sorry that you guys can't get used to an OS that came out 4 years ago, but you are .NET developers so maybe stay on top of what Microsoft is doing?
Christ, and I thought having an app on .NET 4.0 was bad.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

poo poo pissing me off: Did you know you can get loving MONO at 34? I do now.

Not pissing me off: Like a loving month of working from home because my team is really awesome.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Paladine_PSoT posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Did you know you can get loving MONO at 34? I do now.

Not pissing me off: Like a loving month of working from home because my team is really awesome.

Did you know, now that you have gotten mono, it has the potential to come back at any time, the virus just goes dormant in your system and stays with you forever! While you will generally not get symptoms again, if you wear your body/immune system down, you can get sick again and go through the hell again.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

MF_James posted:

Did you know, now that you have gotten mono, it has the potential to come back at any time, the virus just goes dormant in your system and stays with you forever! While you will generally not get symptoms again, if you wear your body/immune system down, you can get sick again and go through the hell again.

You are also have the potential to be a vector for infection for the rest of your life as well!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Today... Sonicwall and Verizon...

Discovered today that back on April 17th one of the Sonicwall routers at a branch location moved everything over to the backup internet connection even though the primary wasn't dead. It generated no type of alert, as it normally does when these events happen. It also did not generate the standard log messages that normally occur when it fails over. So no alert in Greylog either...

Fast forward today, I get a call from the store that their connection is down; this shouldn't happen because we have a backup! Right? Wrong! First indication something is wrong is that I was able to connect to the router via the primary connection just fine, which should not happen if it had failed over... I log into the router and find that it is routing ALL traffic via the backup, except of course ICMP and admin traffic. The backup had dropped out, thus the store lost connection.

After checking all settings and seeing nothing wrong, I restart it. No dice, still pushing everything to the backup. So I had the store unplug it. Presto it starts working correctly. WTF is all I can say.

The Verizon 4G backup connections are charged at $10USD per GB... Logged into our Verizon account and see they have $430 in charges racked up :mad: Did Verizon send any alert? Nope! They do for all our other lines, but these backup lines are apparently special and have no alerting functionality. Made it abundantly clear with our VZ rep we where not happy with the fact these lines cannot send overage alerts. They are possibly going to discount the charges..

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Greatbacon posted:

You are also have the potential to be a vector for infection for the rest of your life as well!

Yup, when the virus activates again, you may not show symptoms, but you can infect everyone!

By the time you're in your 30s you likely already have the virus in your system (it's like HPV except for the rest of your body!), at least based on the stuff that I've read and the opinions of researchers/doctors.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Doesn't mono just make you sleepy and you lose a bunch of weight? Between that and everybody knowing you're out there kissing folks it seems pretty great!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Inspector_666 posted:

Doesn't mono just make you sleepy and you lose a bunch of weight? Between that and everybody knowing you're out there kissing folks it seems pretty great!

There's like a 5% chance of death due to ruptured spleen.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

How bad is your unread mail?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Paladine_PSoT posted:

How bad is your unread mail?

32 unread items and I leave everything in the inbox. :smug:

If it's unread, that's my flag for action-needed items.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I haven't worked out how to deal with large volumes of email yet and am just thankful that I don't get that many - I'm not on any ticket alert stuff, monitoring systems etc. I still get enough that the Clutter feature gets to be genuinely useful.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I'm an unorganized person so I actually started archiving everything and only keeping things that need to be addressed in my inbox. I won't call it "Inbox Zero" because that's a dumb name and I never have 0 things to do. It's nice because I haven't missed an email since starting this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

I haven't worked out how to deal with large volumes of email yet and am just thankful that I don't get that many - I'm not on any ticket alert stuff, monitoring systems etc. I still get enough that the Clutter feature gets to be genuinely useful.

If your monitoring software is sending that much email its no longer an alert system, its a log file.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Which is why I am glad I don't receive the emails, because I more or less work for a bunch of clowns. Last week someone decided to have a Sonicwall they look after send an email on every alert and dropped the logging level to warning or something. The obvious thing happened.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 5, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bob Morales posted:

Our was AT&T too. They gave me some explanation of why and it made sense but I don't remember what it was.

Set it to auto and watch how spiky the connection gets and how low it peaks out compared to setting it at 100. Weird.
They actually did set it to auto after a bit of prodding and it's behaving great.

I don't understand why there isn't a hybrid mode. The autonegotiation FLP "packets" have individual bits for each mode supported, why not still broadcast an autonegotiation that just has the one mode set as available? Then autonegotiation will work anyways but you still get your fixed mode with no chance of failing to a lower mode. Everyone wins.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Probably for the same reason that they set the port speed and duplex manually in the first place - there was an issue 20 years ago that manually overriding the port speed solved and it's been part of the doctrine for configuring devices ever since to not rely on auto-anything. I see it cause issues between the NTE of the circuit provider and the managed router of the ISP that I don't even have access to, and it's made worse when the circuit documentation says Auto/Auto but because the documentation was made from a template document and not an export of the actual config, it doesn't match reality.

I am forever grateful that 1Gbit and above is auto-only.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

There's more than that, it varies by person...

When I had it, my lymph nodes in my throat swelled up to the size of tennis balls, my throat was hosed, I was EXTREMELY tired (sleeping 18-22 hours a day), had no appetite, and it lasted a loving month. There also might have been more, it's been 10 years since it happened, don't recall everything.

the lymph nodes thing is extremely common, although it's not always the throat, sometimes the armpits, sometimes the groin, and rarely multiple areas.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

MF_James posted:

There's more than that, it varies by person...

When I had it, my lymph nodes in my throat swelled up to the size of tennis balls, my throat was hosed, I was EXTREMELY tired (sleeping 18-22 hours a day), had no appetite, and it lasted a loving month. There also might have been more, it's been 10 years since it happened, don't recall everything.

the lymph nodes thing is extremely common, although it's not always the throat, sometimes the armpits, sometimes the groin, and rarely multiple areas.

The first week I had it I just thought I had a really lovely flu, but at some point it shifted from aches and fever to weird rash and brown urine. My spleen also got super swollen and I could barely eat a bowl of soup without my stomach hurting. It's a hell of way to loose weight :smith:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Im pretty constantly tired, averaging 10-12 hours of sleep a night and being groggy as hell for a good chunk of the day. Throat was sore for almost two weeks straight with no relief, and some lymph nodes are still swollen. None of it except for the constant tiredness effects my ability to work, but having the ability to work from home is a massive help

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I had pneumonia + mono, it sucked rear end. Puking, coughing, high fever for weeks, also (I suspect) a reaction to the penicillin.

Dropped 10-12 kg in 6 weeks of being ill, was hosed up for months afterwards, fatigue etc.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

MF_James posted:

This poo poo right here :(

I have CMV which is different than the Epstein-Barr mono, when I got infected it hosed me up for months.

Now even I seem to get a resurgence about once a year for a week or so, totes sucks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sickening posted:

If your monitoring software is sending that much email its no longer an alert system, its a log file.

My lead got put on heartbeat monitoring like 10 years ago. If something missed a ping or something it would alert him.

This would happen for a variety of reasons, but he would end up getting up 5 times a night over this poo poo and the equipment always was working, so he ended up filtering it out because humans have this annoying habit of sleeping. One night it actually was down and management was surprised he would dare to filter out these very very important emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

skooma512 posted:

My lead got put on heartbeat monitoring like 10 years ago. If something missed a ping or something it would alert him.

This would happen for a variety of reasons, but he would end up getting up 5 times a night over this poo poo and the equipment always was working, so he ended up filtering it out because humans have this annoying habit of sleeping. One night it actually was down and management was surprised he would dare to filter out these very very important emails.

This is why you have escalation paths?

Why does no one do this.

95% of what I monitor is on 'check again in 3 minutes, then in 3 minutes after that' if still down, email. If not acknowledged in 15 minutes after the email, send an SMS. If no ack after 15 minutes blast everyone with email and SMS.
5% is 'if this goes down notify immediately'