Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

What's it like living in a biome that will kill you in a day without modern technology?

At least our city isn't on fire like that one up in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We already had our fire this year.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey. Hey, you...Sciatica. gently caress YOU, buddy.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tide posted:

Hey. Hey, you...Sciatica. gently caress YOU, buddy.

Rub an ice cold beer can on and above your rear end. Then drink the beer when it feels better.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

We already had our fire this year.

That thing was like 65+ miles from me, I wouldn't even have known about it except for the news.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

The Locator posted:

At least our city isn't on fire like that one up in Canada.

Fort McMurray. Shits bad up there. Really, really bad. I've got friends who have (likely) lost their homes, and definitely lost their businesses. Its a bad scene.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

MustardFacial posted:

Rub an ice cold beer can on and above your rear end. Then drink the beer when it feels better.

But then you'd be drinking a warm beer :confused:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

I bet the Australians are just :allears: at this.

Australia just looks at humans with their modern tech and says "Challenge Accepted"

quote:

The weather so far this year is really strange (lots of spikes). It's going to be back into the mid 80's for the high by Friday supposedly.

The only good thing about the weather definatly being completely screwy (It's late autumn. It's loving 28C. I'm cycling in the dark in short sleeves) is that it's finally smashing home the point climate change is a real loving thing and whelp this El Nino got supercharged by all the poo poo we are pouring into the air and water. And now you are having an Australian style firestorm in Canada. CANADA. In spring where it still is supposed to be thawing out.

Apart from the length of daylight, you wouldn't even know we were approaching winter. I'm confused where I see trees without leaves and I'm still in T-shirts because that's just not right. I've also noticed the local possums are way fatter than usual as it hasn't gotten cold enough to kill off the insects and they are having as late season feast.

(TBH, I am very much enjoying the extended warmth. But it is weird as gently caress I can still swim outside)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SCA Enthusiast posted:

What's it like living in a biome that will kill you in a day without modern technology?

Shade and water are all you need (and yes, I'm well aware that we only have the water we have by means of some basic technology).

Great Beer posted:

Your city is a monument to man's arrogance.

:feelsgood:

Also when I go outside and sweat, it actually works. Give me 100 and dry over 80 and humid.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

IOwnCalculus posted:

Shade and water are all you need (and yes, I'm well aware that we only have the water we have by means of some basic technology).

Damming the Colorado river required a little bit more than what could be considered basic technology, imo.

In all fairness where I live will kill you pretty quick in winter.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also when I go outside and sweat, it actually works. Give me 100 and dry over 80 and humid.

i have literally never experienced this

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The only good thing about the weather definatly being completely screwy (It's late autumn. It's loving 28C. I'm cycling in the dark in short sleeves) is that it's finally smashing home the point climate change is a real loving thing and whelp this El Nino got supercharged by all the poo poo we are pouring into the air and water. And now you are having an Australian style firestorm in Canada. CANADA. In spring where it still is supposed to be thawing out.

Its actually normal fire season, and we tend to have very large fires, its just normally not anywhere near a city of that size. Our forest fires are pretty goddamn epic, to. We don't have brush fires ala Australia, albeit prairie fires used to be a BIG thing back when we were first settling the Prairie Provinces. Fast as gently caress, just a grassfire gone haywire - which is I think what you guys run into.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Don't you love that Peter Fernandez kept the same tune for the English version?
I do prefer the engine sounds on the English version - the Japanese version doesn't sound like the V12 that the Mach 5 is supposed to have.

meatpimp posted:

Those chunks aren't supposed to be there.

They are, just not in that arrangement

e: fb.

Condolences to LAF and SSS. I need to go hug my grandmothers now.

fyodor posted:

Ok creepy dude :thumbsup:

Back to chat, this 3-wheeler for $80,000 has been making me :stare: since I saw one. 3-wheels of fun but jesus christ it's a 3-wheeler for $80k+.

Is that really the best they could do for the front end? The rest of the body looks pretty good, but it just looks like the chopped the front off.
And yeah. LOL $80K.

88h88 posted:

Seeing as this is the AI forum, can I have opinions on the film Speed Racer? Personally I feel it's a massively underrated film, pure joy from start to finish, and oh what a finish it is.

I enjoyed it, but I was already a fan of the franchise from waaaay back. I felt that the movie pretty much captured the tone, feel, and very much, the vibrancy of the cartoon. I think that's what they were really going for. The bright colors and sheer lunacy.
Come to think of it, I don't think I have that on Blu-Ray. I need to fix that.

Sigma X posted:

Goddrat the intro to the new Crossthreaded is great. I love the throwaway line about Mustangs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDQC0jdUoM

This guy is so one of us, evidenced by the OEM clutch line getting the finger once it was removed.
And yeah, the Patrick Swayze posters.

sharkytm posted:

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

:golfclap:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

SCA Enthusiast posted:

They can weigh in too.

:allears: heh

not that it's a competition, and not that this isn't tragic af. we feel u, canada. we feel u.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nm posted:

You know those are loving expensive as poo poo, right?

Seems like $9 for 30 minutes at this place? Certainly not the cheapest thing, but it's not like I'm going to be calling him every week.

KozmoNaut posted:

You shaved your back? :v:

Nah that was just my rear end crack.

The Locator posted:

The weather so far this year is really strange (lots of spikes). It's going to be back into the mid 80's for the high by Friday supposedly.

Normally we're well into the high 80s/low 90s during the day by now.

We were in the 40s the other night, and we've had highs in the low 60s a lot more frequently than normal.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Agreed. I know I've told this story before, but I flew out to El Paso to visit my dad in the middle of July once, and when we walked out I commented that it was a really nice day.

It was well over 100. It was in the high 80s with high humidity when I left Dallas, but there was no humidity to speak of, so it felt a lot cooler in El Paso. And swamp coolers actually work really well out there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I used to work outside (in the construction industry - I worked on underground utilities) here in Phoenix, and honestly, it was just fine for the most part as long as I drank a lot of water. When it got "hot" as far as how I felt, was when the temps got up to around 110 or over. Those days sucked regardless of the humidity, especially if the job had me working on pavement.

I had one day that really sticks out in my mind as just miserable as gently caress. My work was in the right of way right next to a road that they were laying down fresh pavement on. Not just a re-cap of old pavement, but a full double-layer of new pavement over the base. It was 116 degrees that day, so pretty loving hot even without working 5 or 6 feet from what felt like molten lava. Holy poo poo that was hot.

Dudes that do pavement or roofing in Phoenix in the summer have got to be the most heat tolerant freaks on the planet or something.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I will take 85 and humid all loving day. I will also take 100 and dry. But gently caress below 70 and anything. If the middle east wasn't hosed I would live there.

Also, where's 14"? Was working on the GTI and this fell out of the drivers seat.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I like the "Deal with it" meme in your pile of cocaine Afrin that's spilled out of the capsule, you could get to the front page of Reddit if you get lucky.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Dudes that do pavement or roofing in Phoenix in the summer have got to be the most heat tolerant freaks on the planet or something.

My dad once made one of my brothers and I help him repaint the flat sections of the roof one summer morning. Unlike anything I've experienced before or since, and in hindsight I'm pretty sure my mom wanted to kill him for that. That much heat on top of a bright white super reflective surface... Yeah.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Aaaaaaaaaaand my daughter's brand new $500 iphone is gone. 6 days. Either lost or stolen, we don't know which yet.

The most infuriating thing is her idiot mom waited until the middle of the night to tell me, after the battery has run down and the phone store is closed. I might have been able to do something if they called me at 4 PM when she found out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gently caress.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Watching "A Faster Horse" on Netflix, it's about the Mustang and it's p good so far.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

LloydDobler posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaand my daughter's brand new $500 iphone is gone. 6 days. Either lost or stolen, we don't know which yet.

The most infuriating thing is her idiot mom waited until the middle of the night to tell me, after the battery has run down and the phone store is closed. I might have been able to do something if they called me at 4 PM when she found out.

Oh for fecks sake...

Maybe try that "find my iPhone" thingie on iCloud? Should give you last known location.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

bolind posted:

Oh for fecks sake...

Maybe try that "find my iPhone" thingie on iCloud? Should give you last known location.

Only if she had it turned on in the first place, a lot of kids don't turn it on because parents remember oh hey I can track my kid with this thing

Then the kid loses it and welp

Not saying that that's what happened here but, sucks man ☹️

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Still should be able to see where it is/last was if location services is on, right? Google will show me everywhere I went in any day.

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit
:getin:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
So I've been looking at vans as a better way to transport things mostly because I hate my pickup and everyone else who drives pickups. The problem is vans in this area are stupid expensive even for their ungodly high mileage. That is until I had the brilliant thought: "why don't I just buy a minivan and gut it from the drivers seat back?" minivans would be cheap, just as spacious as a regular van (once the seats, carpet, and plastic poo poo is removed), easily as powerful, softer suspension would mean I can't carry heavier loads but that's not a problem until it's a problem. But best of all, it is inconspicuous.

I have decided from this that I am a genius.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 5, 2016

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah we were both still learning about the phone, you have to enable find my phone to find your phone. I know that now, if we replace it or get lucky with lost and found, we'll set that up first thing.

In two and a half years this is only the second time she's ever lost a phone. She's really beating herself up over it too. I fuckin warned her and warned her, this is a phone people WANT to steal. It might have actually been stolen out of her locker.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I was finally catching up on a stack of invoices for work (all paid, but stuff hasn't been entered into QuickBooks yet). All of them are stuff that's split between work and personal, particularly toll bills.

Went through them by hand and highlighted anything related to work. Then scanned them. Finished scanning, looked at one, and... gently caress. The highlighter doesn't show up at all. Went through all of them again and circled anything work related in pen, scanned them again.

... then realized if I had scanned in B&W instead of color (or scanned as a photo instead of color document), the highlighter probably would have shown up. :doh:

Anything 100% work related I just print to PDF, but my list of tolls from the past 2.5 months is around 30 pages (and nearly $350 :fuckoff:). No easy way to separate business from personal on those, I have to go through every page and look at the date/time and see if I was working at that time.

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah we were both still learning about the phone, you have to enable find my phone to find your phone. I know that now, if we replace it or get lucky with lost and found, we'll set that up first thing.

No insurance on it? :sigh: I know the carrier insurance is expensive as hell, but SquareTrade usually has pretty reasonable options. Definitely report it stolen ASAP to the carrier and Apple if you haven't already, at least that way they can block the IMEI and prevent it from being activated again. They should be able to unblock it if it turns up, but it'll need a new SIM card.

MustardFacial posted:

"why don't I just buy a minivan and gut it from the drivers seat back?" minivans would be cheap, just as spacious as a regular van (once the seats, carpet, and plastic poo poo is removed), easily as powerful, softer suspension would mean I can't carry heavier loads but that's not a problem until it's a problem. But best of all, it is inconspicuous.

I see a ton of older minivans being used by contractors. And yeah, they're incredibly cheap used, even nice ones - they don't hold their value worth a poo poo compared to most cars. Payload is still usually upward of half a ton, which isn't quite what you'd get with, say, a Chevy Express 1500, but the Caravan for example has a payload capacity of 1500 lbs since at least 2008 (only using that as an example because it was the easiest to find info on).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 5, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

MustardFacial posted:

So I've been looking at vans as a better way to transport things mostly because I hate my pickup and everyone else who drives pickups. The problem is vans in this area are stupid expensive even for their ungodly high mileage. That is until I had the brilliant thought: "why don't I just buy a minivan and gut it from the drivers seat back?" minivans would be cheap, just as spacious as a regular van (once the seats, carpet, and plastic poo poo is removed), easily as powerful, softer suspension would mean I can't carry heavier loads but that's not a problem until it's a problem. But best of all, it is inconspicuous.

I have decided from this that I am a genius.

Clearly you should buy a 90s GM conversion van and gut the interior. Then we can be van-buddies!

LloydDobler posted:

It might have actually been stolen out of her locker.

And that is why forcing students to keep their phones in their lockers is stupid. Much harder to steal something that's on your person at all times.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Midnight Oil is reforming. This is good news.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

I enjoyed it, but I was already a fan of the franchise from waaaay back. I felt that the movie pretty much captured the tone, feel, and very much, the vibrancy of the cartoon. I think that's what they were really going for. The bright colors and sheer lunacy.
Come to think of it, I don't think I have that on Blu-Ray. I need to fix that.

I have two copies on blu ray yet don't own a blu ray player... Weird but true. Should probably fix that.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

LloydDobler posted:

In two and a half years this is only the second time she's ever lost a phone. She's really beating herself up over it too. I fuckin warned her and warned her, this is a phone people WANT to steal. It might have actually been stolen out of her locker.

I got a new second-hand iphone a few weeks ago and it was enabled by default once I reset it. Have you checked by logging into https://www.icloud.com/ with the account you set it up against?

For future reference the 'find my iphone' feature is actually pretty good. When you reset an iphone or change the SIM card it tries to activate against the apple activation servers and wont do it if it is still on someone else's account and you are left with a phone you can't use.

I bought a second hand one recently and it was blocked until the PO removed it from their online icloud account. You can mark phones as lost or stolen on there too, which I assume also black lists them.

I bet there is a way round this, but suspect it is a pain and will probably have to be repeated every time the phone is upgraded (which is also now automatic..)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ferremit posted:

Midnight Oil is reforming. This is good news.

Hopefully they make some good new music

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Right now I feel like that guy Kenshiro in FotNS pulled the "You are already dead" line to. Like, after the punching, but before his heart explodes.

My head is in limbo and it's only going to get worse.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Tomarse posted:

I bet there is a way round this, but suspect it is a pain and will probably have to be repeated every time the phone is upgraded (which is also now automatic..)

No sir, at the very least for iOS 9.0 and newer even Apple can't bypass iCloud Activation Lock without your password. They make you turn it off before you hand your device in for service/refurbishing in case it needs a new motherboard; good enough proof for me that you can't BS it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

LloydDobler posted:

drat, that sucks. Middle school is the worst. She was probably excited and told/showed someone and some other dickbag took that as an opportunity to make her a mark. Middle school is where innocence gets raped. :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The saga with Blue Cross Blue Shield continues. They still refuse to tell my doctor that he is indeed my doctor - they'll tell him I'm insured, but they also tell him I've never chosen a doctor. Since I'm on a HMO, this is a Bad Thing. My doctor's appointment is in 8 hours. I'll have to pay their walk-in cash price ($140) instead of their contracted price ($90ish). They literally laughed when I asked how much my blood work would cost at the cash rate, since my insurance is refusing to do the insurance bit. The insurance rate is about $25. Apparently it's several hundred without insurance.

I have loving insurance. I have insurance that covers drat near anything you can think of, with a really loving low deductible. But since it's an HMO and I'm apparently "affected by a known issue with no known ETA for resolution", they won't authorize poo poo unless it's in an emergency room setting. So whenever they finally fix their "I.T. issue that's affecting many", I'll have to submit the claims myself. And wait for reimbursement. Then go chase my doctor's office staff for the difference between the contracted rate and the cash rate. They also told me that they will not pay for any referrals unless they were already on file. So no blood work for me unless I want to pay several hundred bucks (contracted rate is something silly like $25). :awesome:

e: they've sent me 13 loving ID cards in the past few days as some sort of hosed up sick joke. I'm sure there's going to be another stack of them spilling out of my mailbox today.

88h88 posted:

I have two copies on blu ray yet don't own a blu ray player... Weird but true. Should probably fix that.

I don't own a Blu Ray player either. Or a (working) DVD player, unless you count the extremely dusty DVD-RW in my PC. Now that Blu Ray drives are relatively cheap, I'll probably toss one in my PC eventually, but it sounds like it may be a bit of a PITA to play back BR content on a PC.

I do have a VCR though! :cool:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 5, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I don't know why anyone steals a phone these days, you just call the carrier and it's effectively useless until you tell them otherwise. IMEI numbers are a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
You can flash a different IMEI, for example from a busted phone.

• Locked thread