Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

jwang posted:

I think half the problem with translations is that a majority is simply machine translations with a thin paint of grammar spread on. That being said, My Disciple Died Yet Again is definitely one I would recommend for reading, even with the 3/4-assed translation.
At this point, I'd bet well over half of the active ln/wn projects are simply machine translations. Not only that, a significant proportion of that are machine translations by people who aren't even native speakers of english.

The "is this bad writing or bad translation or bad editing" guessing game is at least somewhat fun, though.

filthychimp fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

DeafAsianQT posted:

Yea I think so too, and Rainy is the giyuding rain

Oh I forgot about her. Such a nice... whatever the heck she was. A sea? Living demon sea? Man things get weird in this story.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

filthychimp posted:

The "is this bad writing or bad translation or bad editing" guessing game is at least somewhat fun, though.

From what I've learned in my short time since becoming an editor, it's mostly the latter two.

Spoiled since I probably shouldn't be doing this:

:suicide:

There are three other editors listed, but they haven't done jack poo poo.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 5, 2016

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I just finished ISSTH book 3 and I'm hosed up

Edit: nothing in the past 20 chapters is okay. please go back to having a fulfilling life, fang mu

Adelheid fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 5, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Oh I forgot about her. Such a nice... whatever the heck she was. A sea? Living demon sea? Man things get weird in this story.

Meng Hao wasn't a demon sealer the last time he saw her. There are lots of nice things he can do for a living demon sea now.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

From what I've learned in my short time since becoming an editor, it's mostly the latter two.

Cripes, that's just terrible. Find a native speaker or at least someone who put in some time learning the language and ask them to help with that translation, because if I had to edit that the first time around I'd just rather straight out translate it myself using Google.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I mean I'm not sure you'd even have to speak japanese to improve those kind of really. awkward. sentences.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

BlitzBlast posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Thank you for your service. :patriot:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I have a working knowledge of japanese myself, but it turns out this group translates from a Chinese translation, so.

I might just import the KonoSuba novels someday though. That and OSO, I really do love those series.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Japanese to Chinese translation shouldn't be too terrible, since their idioms and sentence structures are relatively similar compared to languages with Latin roots. Still, that's double the probability of something lost in translations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

jwang posted:

Japanese to Chinese translation shouldn't be too terrible, since their idioms and sentence structures are relatively similar compared to languages with Latin roots. Still, that's double the probability of something lost in translations.

The sentence structure of chinese is closer to english than to japanese. Both english and chinese have a subject - verb - object word order, while japanese has [whatever you want in any order] - verb. That [whatever] can even be nothing, sentences containing just a verb are valid if the subject is clear from context.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It actually looks like KonoSuba is just super low on the priority list of this translation group, so it didn't even have an editor before me, just a couple people reading through the script and making minor corrections if something caught their eye.

That is probably why even though I'm not even done with part 3 yet, I have more than 100 edits on this script while the other three combined have maybe 20 edits across all seven parts of this chapter. :suicide:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jwang posted:

Huh? I didn't think it was. Japanese has a sentence structure something like "subject -> object -> verb" (though the first two don't have to be in that order), while I was under the impression Chinese had a structure more similar to English with respect to being a "subject -> verb -> object" sort of thing. The idioms might be due to some degree of shared culture, but I don't think Japanese is even in the same language family as Chinese (that might just be in terms of pronunciation though, not sure).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

He's probably just thinking of how they use the same characters (well at least for kanji), which is why Japanese -> Chinese translations tend to be pretty fast.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Aw yeah, issth is having a full on shenanigans arc.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Aw yeah, issth is having a full on shenanigans arc.

But I've been getting the impression from this thread that ISSTH is pretty much all shenanigans all the time. Has it somehow achieved the legend and become Super Shenanigans?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

He's probably just thinking of how they use the same characters (well at least for kanji), which is why Japanese -> Chinese translations tend to be pretty fast.

This is what I mean. When I'm reading Japanese kanji, usually I can make out the general gist of the sentence. It probably won't make sense taking it literally, but the characters would give me an idea of "so and so is doing this kind of thing, something something this happens."

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Now presenting Patriarch Reliance's Pretty Silly Puppet Show!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Sandman posted:

But I've been getting the impression from this thread that ISSTH is pretty much all shenanigans all the time. Has it somehow achieved the legend and become Super Shenanigans?

Nah, there are also large stretches of fighting and training/meditation/transcendental weirdness.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

That poor old turtle is going to get scammed again. :allears:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Herbotron posted:

That poor old turtle is going to get scammed again. :allears:

He's not poor yet. That comes after the scamming.

Grempington
Oct 2, 2014

Forrest Grump
I just love how Meng Hao has become so self-aware regarding how conning his nature is.
Early on in the novel, he was sincerely bashful and didn't do anything on purpose.
Throughout the years, however, the conning slowly grew on him and now he has become a true con master. And that's just hilarious to watch.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I can't remember when it happened, but at one point Meng Hoa reflects on his success and realizes he has always been swindling people. It was before the immortal demon sect arc.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
If there was ever a time for "Wow" in ISSTH, it's this chapter.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
At this point, the thread probably should be Web/light novel thread - Menghao you magnificent bastard!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I finally gave in and decided to start reading ISSTH.

I just reached the chapter where Meng Hao starts the Pill Cultivation Outlet.

This is beautiful.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You know, I bet that once Meng Hao gets this douchebag off his back he could visit the southern domain again. He has a lot of debts to collect on, and I mean that literally.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Spider manga got updated. Kumo-chan is hilarious as usual. It looks like they're going with the LN version, since I don't remember anything about an egg at all.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is the Resurrection Lily still in Meng Hao, or did I miss something and he got powerful enough to make it go away (which I remember was one of the possible solutions)? ISSTH has a tendency to build things up as really important then not mention them at all for 100+ chapters, like the Blood Mastiff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is there, but he can both forcibly push it down and he still has a pill from what's-his-face at the violet fate sect that can both suppress the lily and increase his longevity.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Oh poo poo I think I know what is going to happen next in ISSTH. Patriarch Reliance is about to scam himself, isn't he.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Reached chapter 189, and wow. It's like a parade of Meng Hao's greatest hits, all back to haunt him. :allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Meng Hao's last little kick in the ribs as he was running away from Reliance Meng Hao's turtle was wonderful.

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013

The Sandman posted:

Reached chapter 189, and wow. It's like a parade of Meng Hao's greatest hits, all back to haunt him. :allears:

If chapter 189 is the song clan gathering and everyone points at meng hao and go "YOU!" That remains my favorite chapter

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

DeafAsianQT posted:

If chapter 189 is the song clan gathering and everyone points at meng hao and go "YOU!" That remains my favorite chapter

It was.

Also, got to Lord Fifth's debut. He instantly became the best thing in the novel.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hahaha, almost all of my edits are getting rejected now for being "unnecessary".

I guess the people want poo poo english.

EDIT: I should probably be annoyed a literal week's worth of effort is getting thrown away, but I'm kind of just bemused. I wonder if the guy who's going through this entire document rejecting everything actually thinks the original script was fine?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 10, 2016

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

BlitzBlast posted:

Hahaha, almost all of my edits are getting rejected now for being "unnecessary".

EDIT: I should probably be annoyed a literal week's worth of effort is getting thrown away, but I'm kind of just bemused. I wonder if the guy who's going through this entire document rejecting everything actually thinks the original script was fine?

Is English that guy's first language? If not, then it's entirely possible he does think that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DeafAsianQT posted:

I love when we get Meng Hao Reunion Tours because I always forget just how many people he's pissed off until they all show up again.

Also the amount of parallels between Meng Hao and Meng Hao's Turtle shown in recent chapters is actually pretty interesting, they both share the same disdain from being held down by the strong just because they're strong and are both totally shameless assholes. The difference is in the destination, Meng Hao wants to be strong so he can be free, while Turtle wants to be strong so he can do the holding down. Meng Hao also refuses to let go of that last shred of human(/turtle) decency while Turtle revels in being a shitlord.

Some a+ shenanigans as well.

On translators/editors, some of them seem to get weirdly huge egos for some reason and it seems like a total crapshoot. I've only seen The Coolest People or Obnoxious Dickheads and absolutely nothing in-between.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

BlitzBlast posted:

Lol, just quit, then. They don't deserve a good editor if they're just going to disregard everything you say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

blastron posted:

Lol, just quit, then. They don't deserve a good editor if they're just going to disregard everything you say.

Seconding this, if they won't let you do your hobby forget about them.

• Locked thread