Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'd love to know the amount she probably spent on social services via taxes. I could probably balance it on my fingertip.

I think the more interesting question, is which government assistance programs does she use that she just hand waves away as being okay because obviously she needs it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Lots of things could happen for Hillary too. FBI comes out and says "no she did nothing wrong," someone could replace Trump's day glow orange spray with agent orange, isils cash flow issues turn into infighting, hurricane hits Florida... you just don't know. Safe bet is President Hillary at this moment in time.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Trump doesn't come off as all that smart to me, really. Like with the abortion thing--sure there's an incredible ignorance in not knowing what the party line is, but you'd think a smart person, if he really didn't know, would have the insight to say something along those lines anyway--we should punish the providers, defund PP, make it as rare as possible, etc.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

porfiria posted:

Trump doesn't come off as all that smart to me, really. Like with the abortion thing--sure there's an incredible ignorance in not knowing what the party line is, but you'd think a smart person, if he really didn't know, would have the insight to say something along those lines anyway--we should punish the providers, defund PP, make it as rare as possible, etc.

There's a dozen social issues that Trump's enjoying the benefit of the doubt on because he hasn't been attacked on them yet, because the GOP are craven and spineless cowards who don't want to bring up stuff they're emphatically losing on.

I have no doubt at all that once Clinton starts forcing him to take a position on things, he'll no doubt pick some position that's more head scratching and bad than we could all imagine. Especially since the general mood of the electorate won't accept "uhhhh state's rights" or "I prefer to focus on business things" as hand waves anymore

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

G-III posted:

Lol at the sound bite of graham, the junior to strom loving thurmond, calling donald trump "race baiting"

Now there's an idea.

Zombie Strom Thurmond for VP

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Setting aside why people want politicians who have no political experience, I started digging for a major party presidential nominee who has zero political or military experience. I quickly realized thanks to Taylor, Grant, Hancock, McClellan, Eisenhower et al. I'd have to add military service to the criteria, and the Founding Fathers are in a class of their own, obviously John Adams didn't have any experience as a governor or senator of a state, but I think being John Adams qualifies you to be President in 1800. (Ben Carson brought up the Founding Father angle on inexperience sometime during the primary, but you have to remember all the Founding Father presidents still served in their colonial or local legislatures, in the Continental Congress, or in the military.)

The best I could come up with was Alton B. Parker who was the Democratic nominee in 1904 and who lost to T.R. very badly. He hadn't been in any political office, but he'd been elected to the New York Supreme Court.

Horace Greeley was only in the House for three months.

Out of candidates who got elected, the technocrat Herbert Hoover was Secretary of Commerce before his Presidency and had no experience in any elected office, and we saw how that turned out. :v:

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 5, 2016

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Yeah, Carson was nuts. John Adams was a delegate in the first and second Continental Congresses, served as ambassador to Holland, France, and the UK, negotiated the treaty that ended the Revolutionary War, and also spent two terms as Washington's VP before he was elected President. Washington was sort of a special case, but Adams had over 25 years of experience in politics before entering the Presidency.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The Founding Fathers were community organizers, you know who else was a community organizer?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

CelestialScribe posted:

Oh my god. For the last loving time.

STOP ASSUMING THE POLLS NOW WILL REFLECT WHAT HAPPENS IN THE FUTURE.

Every political expert acknowledges that polls narrow during a general. Stop acting like they won't.

Trumps going to win and it will be because your posts aren't all-caps.

Peztopiary fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 5, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Peztopiary posted:

Trump's going to win and it will be because your posts aren't all-caps.

NOT ON MY WATCH.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How was HW Bush as CIA Director? Any highlights/lowlights?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Tobermory posted:

Yeah, Carson was nuts. John Adams was a delegate in the first and second Continental Congresses, served as ambassador to Holland, France, and the UK, negotiated the treaty that ended the Revolutionary War, and also spent two terms as Washington's VP before he was elected President. Washington was sort of a special case, but Adams had over 25 years of experience in politics before entering the Presidency.

And even Washington was a delegate in the Continental Congresses and politically active in Virginia before the whole Commander in Chief thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

gradenko_2000 posted:

How was HW Bush as CIA Director? Any highlights/lowlights?

He only had the job for like a year , but assume that since it was the 70s he probably knew about some shady poo poo.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

I think the more interesting question, is which government assistance programs does she use that she just hand waves away as being okay because obviously she needs it?

I know it wasn't your main point probably, but... seriously? Where does every fourth person on welfare / food stamps think that money comes from?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Hollismason posted:

He only had the job for like a year , but assume that since it was the 70s he probably knew about some shady poo poo.

That was right after the Church Committee, so the CIA was frantically trying to clean up their image after having all their dirty laundry aired before Congress and the media. In terms of lowlights, Bush was running the CIA while it was up to some truly reprehensible poo poo in Angola.

Edit: I never really thought about it before, but Bush was the one who allegedly began using Israel to illegally funnel weapons into the Angolan proxy war with the USSR. Ten years later, he was VP when the Reagan administration got caught doing the same thing in Iran.

Tobermory fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 5, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mezzanine posted:

I know it wasn't your main point probably, but... seriously? Where does every fourth person on welfare / food stamps think that money comes from?

Either they don't recognize it as one because the actual name of the program isn't what they've heard pundits rail against, like not realizing SNAP is food stamps, or they've rationalized that it's not really a social program in their case, but their just due unlike all those other moochers. Like a lot people don't think social security is a social program because they think of it as getting their, and only their, money back, like the government just takes that chunk of your paycheck and puts it in it's own little savings account until your 66.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

there wolf posted:

Either they don't recognize it as one because the actual name of the program isn't what they've heard pundits rail against, like not realizing SNAP is food stamps, or they've rationalized that it's not really a social program in their case, but their just due unlike all those other moochers. Like a lot people don't think social security is a social program because they think of it as getting their, and only their, money back, like the government just takes that chunk of your paycheck and puts it in it's own little savings account until your 66.

It's this one btw, for food stamps at least

The rest are just people being idiots or willfully ignorant because it literally says stuff like "tax credit" or "deduction" in the name

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CelestialScribe posted:

Oh my god. For the last loving time.

STOP ASSUMING THE POLLS NOW WILL REFLECT WHAT HAPPENS IN THE FUTURE.

Every political expert acknowledges that polls narrow during a general. Stop acting like they won't.

you need to get a grip because at this rate you are going to stroke out before november

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 5, 2016

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

It's this one btw, for food stamps at least

The rest are just people being idiots or willfully ignorant because it literally says stuff like "tax credit" or "deduction" in the name
If you accept the framing that taxes are the government taking money that is rightfully entirely yours (whether or not you go so far as to call it "theft"), then it makes sense that tax credits and deductions wouldn't be considered government benefits. You wouldn't consider someone you walk by on the street to be benefitting you, just because they didn't take the opportunity to rob you.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
All tax is theft because *vomits profusely.*

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

If you accept the framing that taxes are the government taking money that is rightfully entirely yours (whether or not you go so far as to call it "theft"), then it makes sense that tax credits and deductions wouldn't be considered government benefits. You wouldn't consider someone you walk by on the street to be benefitting you, just because they didn't take the opportunity to rob you.

Things like programs where they literally give you money for having a mortgage definitely is though

In cases of people with negative income tax percentages it manages to both simply be not having money taken from them AND getting a handout

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Things like programs where they literally give you money for having a mortgage definitely is though
But they don't literally give you money. They reduce tax liability. If you think tax is theft in the first place, you're not getting something, you're just having less taken. Of course, the end result is the same, but how a person thinks about it could be different.

quote:

In cases of people with negative income tax percentages it manages to both simply be not having money taken from them AND getting a handout
I would think people that literally get a check in the mail would be less likely to report that they're not beneficiaries of government programs. I mean, other than old people who get SS checks, that they think is coming from some designated account in their name.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
The government really needs to do some PSAs about these programs or maybe some better branding. If every check or EBT card had something like USAID style branding on it, maybe fewer people would be so clueless.

The alternative would be proper government classes in High School that spend a good amount of time focusing on how the government actually affects their daily lives. Maybe they can just get rid of the stuff about how a bill becomes a law as that information seems less and less relevant.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
You'll run into the problem of people not wanting to learn because gently caress poor people. Also give me my social security cola dambnabit.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Mauser posted:

The government really needs to do some PSAs about these programs or maybe some better branding. If every check or EBT card had something like USAID style branding on it, maybe fewer people would be so clueless.

The alternative would be proper government classes in High School that spend a good amount of time focusing on how the government actually affects their daily lives. Maybe they can just get rid of the stuff about how a bill becomes a law as that information seems less and less relevant.

"We already have to spend our hard-earned tax dollars on giving food and shelter to poor people, and now you want to spend that money on marketing it?!"

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Not to mention a proper understanding of value and fiat currency isn't in the interest of the rich and powerful. Convincing proles to kill each other over pieces of paper and flags is a proven system.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Antti posted:

The best I could come up with was Alton B. Parker who was the Democratic nominee in 1904 and who lost to T.R. very badly. He hadn't been in any political office, but he'd been elected to the New York Supreme Court.

Ironically, this is less impressive than it sounds - in NY, the Supreme Court is the lowest level court of general jurisdiction (equivalent to a district court in the federal system.)

He was on the Court of Appeals, though, which is the NY equivalent of a Supreme Court.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Kalman posted:

Ironically, this is less impressive than it sounds - in NY, the Supreme Court is the lowest level court of general jurisdiction (equivalent to a district court in the federal system.)

He was on the Court of Appeals, though, which is the NY equivalent of a Supreme Court.

And looking more closely the Chief of Court of Appeals was an elected position too. So he actually ran in a statewide election and won.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

PhazonLink posted:

The Founding Fathers were community organizers, you know who else was a community organizer?

Best part of 2008 was the smug liberals going, "Pontius Pilate was a governor, Jesus was a community organizer."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cheerfullydrab posted:

Best part of 2008 was the smug liberals going, "Pontius Pilate was a governor, Jesus was a community organizer."

You don't see anyone worshipping Pilate anywhere, do you

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I am sorry if this is derailing into Primarychat, but I am genuinely surprised that Ted Cruz dropped out of the race after Indiana's primary.

I thought Cruz's megalomaniac pride and ego would have kept him going to the bitter end if it meant a death struggle between him and Trump for the GOP presidential nomination. Or maybe it was that pride that kept him from running any further since it would embarrass him later and hurt his titanic ego? Who knows? :iiam:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

He probably ran out of money and his campaign's math showed that losing Indiana meant he was DOA on the first ballot. I presume he also got some kind of signal from the GOPe that they won't let him ratfuck Trump through RNC rules committee shenanigans.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Epic High Five posted:

Before this cycle the young, up and coming future of the GOP were:

1) Scott Walker, who eliminated himself early on and will never, ever be trusted by financiers again. Huge loser, looks weird
2) Jindal, who...I dunno, he was just kind of around and then he bailed I guess? Total non starter loser
3) Marco Rubio, who lost his home state by a hundred thousand percent and will forever be known as a thirsty little loser
4) Jeb, kind of. He wasn't young but he was being groomed for awhile. Low energy, :sad:
5) I feel like there was a 5th but nobody is coming to mind, the carpet bombing was that effective

Before this kicked off, there were only two rising stars.

Rubio who managed to show the entire nation why the state of Florida loving hates his lazy rear end.
and
Nikki Haley, who is going to be the 2020 nominee for whats left of the smoking ruins of the the republican party.

There were no others. Jindal was dead man walking behind the curtains because of his absolute incompetence in, well, anything. Jindal can't piss on the ground.
Walker was never an up and comer for the party, This is a guy who faced a recall as a governor. No one likes him.
Jeb was thrown out there because his last name is Bush. He didn't want to be president, he didnt want to run. But going to Christmas dinner, you do it so your mother won't bitch at you.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also paging Joementum for his thoughts on Trump becoming the presumptive GOP presidential nominee.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Antti posted:

He probably ran out of money and his campaign's math showed that losing Indiana meant he was DOA on the first ballot. I presume he also got some kind of signal from the GOPe that they won't let him ratfuck Trump through RNC rules committee shenanigans.

It's either this or he's honestly stupid enough to try to score points with Trump by handing the race to the Orange Overlord. Cruz might even be so spectacularly dumb that he's angling for the VP nod.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Scott Walker was definitely a rising star. A GOP Governor that won both a recall and a re-election and is nationally known for beating Democrats and instituting conservative policy in what was seen as a labor friendly state. He was moneyed interest's attempt to throw money at a guy and make him their Presidential puppet. Luckily for the country he was a huge loser and looked goofy so no one outside of Wisconsin suburbs fell for it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's either this or he's honestly stupid enough to try to score points with Trump by handing the race to the Orange Overlord. Cruz might even be so spectacularly dumb that he's angling for the VP nod.

Trump/Cruz would be a helluva ticket. Whereas the Romney/Ryan ticket in 2012 was a sly yet shallowly underhanded attempt to get conservative policies implemented, Trump/Cruz would be blatantly in-your-face gently caress-you-got-mine Über Conservatism.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Radish posted:

Scott Walker was definitely a rising star. A GOP Governor that won both a recall and a re-election and is nationally known for beating Democrats and instituting conservative policy in what was seen as a labor friendly state. He was moneyed interest's attempt to throw money at a guy and make him their Presidential puppet. Luckily for the country he was a huge loser and looked goofy so no one outside of Wisconsin suburbs fell for it.

He was a great gop candidate: empty suit stuffed with Koch cash.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Trump/Cruz would be a helluva ticket. Whereas the Romney/Ryan ticket in 2012 was a sly yet shallowly underhanded attempt to get conservative policies implemented, Trump/Cruz would be blatantly in-your-face gently caress-you-got-mine Über Conservatism.

Even without the incredibly bitter knife fight that the Trump/Cruz nomination battle devolved into between the two of them, I can't even imagine Cruz accepting a place on a ticket that doesn't involve his name coming first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Trump needs some moderate cred for his sharp pivot to the center.

Trump/Romney 2016

• Locked thread