Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

He knows.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to work with those arseholes either.

Trent posted:

It's also better than a lot of crap posted here but that's a depressingly, insultingly low bar when it includes stuff like Reply All and Oh Baby
You know, it has been a while since we saw Reply All.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Slammy posted:

Andy Capp

Well, if you hadn't waited so drat long to go decimal

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

I am kind of glad you're posting Heathcliff again in here. I didn't even realize I missed it.
Yesterday, when they said he was like an hour late or something, I was kind of hoping he was dead. Like he got into a car accident on the way there and none of the characters know how to react to the news. Just to see how that would play out, I mean. I think it could have been an interesting story with characters soul-searching about how they treat people and whether it's "deserved" or not, and if it even matters. Oh well, back to the usual Luann mediocrity!

F Minus

Migration's stupid. Why not just stay in the one place?

Mary Worth

If he comes on too strong he can call Uncle Bruce.

Rex Morgan MD

"We'll only be gone 4...5 years tops."

Secret Agent X-9

"Mind if I sit on this throne?"

Apartment 3-G

What a stupid title. I suggest "ArMANgeddon."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Johnny Walker posted:

What a stupid title. I suggest "ArMANgeddon."

On the Ragnarok

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"We'll only be gone 4...5 years tops."

No one has ever returned from the white void.

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 5, 2016

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Man that was a good Luann arc wasn't it? I wonder what the next one will be.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

That's certainly an interesting choice, considering Mr. Kleen's previous clients.

Judge Parker

No problem, Sam. She can skip the night shift at the factory and work a double in the afternoon.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

Read up on Troy Haupt, and the NFL doesn't want to buy his copy of Super Bowl 1 because the guy is asking a million dollars for it. While I think that's a little steep, that's like loving chump change to the NFL :psyduck:

Also, the NFL forbids him from selling it to a third party or they'll sue the living poo poo out of him. Again, a million dollars to the NFL is like a loose penny and dime under a car's seat :psyduck: Just buy the tape and show it to the fans and historians, for gently caress's sake.

I think it's more about not setting a precedent. I'm an archivist, and at my repository we make it clear that we will not pay for donations because otherwise every potential donor is going to have their hand out.

Still, threatening to sue him if he sells it off sucks. I don't know if that would hold up in court but I doubt he has the wherewithal to get into a lawyer fight with the NFL.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Selachian posted:

Wait a moment. Wasn't there a strip where Everett dealt with a neighbor who complained about him cutting his lawn too early in the morning? My gosh, Everett True is a hypocrite!
Look at the clock in the first panel, and wonder. :psyduck:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Selachian posted:

Wait a moment. Wasn't there a strip where Everett dealt with a neighbor who complained about him cutting his lawn too early in the morning? My gosh, Everett True is a hypocrite!

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

It was more that his neighbour is actually a filthy lay-about who only considers himself.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghostlight posted:

It was more that his neighbour is actually a filthy lay-about who only considers himself.

Also, seven in the morning is very different from five in the morning.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

The creator seems to be big enough nerd that he should know the LI=U thing in comics so it might be intentional, but why would would you pick that as a cats name in a comic, unless you wanted to sneak some swears into your comic?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons
Why is he wearing a little hat in the car?

Hel posted:

The creator seems to be big enough nerd that he should know the LI=U thing in comics so it might be intentional, but why would would you pick that as a cats name in a comic, unless you wanted to sneak some swears into your comic?
If that were the intention, wouldn't he go with "Flick"?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Note to Brooke: this is how you do a cat strip.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Why is he wearing a little hat in the car?

It's the rearview mirror attached to the windshield

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

You'll have store brand Froot Loops, and you'll like it!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Y'know, speaking as a humongous nerd here, I'm about 80 to 90% sure that the PSX controller thing is bullshit.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hel posted:

because felix is a cat in a better comic

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Man that was a good Luann arc wasn't it? I wonder what the next one will be.

Don't be silly; it's only Thursday.

Luann

In a better comic Les's gripe would be legit. It would be revealed that from his point of view, he was the one being mistreated. Luann's pals effectively made rules that he's not allowed to pee in "their" bathroom or flirt with girls they don't approve for him and when Les tried to stick up for himself, they made Ox their enforcer. It makes for a nice little lesson as well that everybody has their own perspective on a given situation and a person's behavior might make sense if you look at it through their eyes.

This is Luann, though, so Les is just making up excuses not to work with a guy he happens not to like because Les is the true bully or something. Luann protagonists never have to learn and grow because they are all perfect, every one.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

this is hilarious as hell in view of "adult" coloring books existing but was certainly not meant that way

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

fuckkkkkkkkkk

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Skippy (March 6-7, 1929)

Maybe Peanuts isn't skipping all those days after all. (May 6, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 20-21, 1929)

Thimble Theater (November 22, 1929)

e: The missing OOW is over here. Don't ask how it happened, because that'd mean coming up with an answer.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 7, 2016

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

You know, when the dad with Alzheimer's took up smoking in Funky Winkerbean I excused it as a kind of macabre, traditionally Batiuk "joke," but now I'm honestly wondering if the man thinks elderly people frequently start smoking despite literal piles of evidence to the contrary.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 12, 1951)

Barnaby (September 17, 1942)

Nancy (May 27, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (February 7, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (March 8, 1923)

Lil' Abner (October 22, 1936)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

The most consistently interesting thing about Out Our Way to me is the eye dialect. Only the BOYZENDORGS appear to be speaking like I would generally think a modern American does--"contentid," "certin," "risist"--but by implication it means that older people at that time said "ContentEd," "CertAYn," "REEsist." Sounding out the "proper" pronunciation is fun.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

Literally the entire philosophy I've based my life around from the moment I read this comic as a kid.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Moon Slayer posted:

Literally the entire philosophy I've based my life around from the moment I read this comic as a kid.

My parents didn't agree with this philosophy and said you have to keep doing it until you do it right.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Yup. :effort::respek::effort:

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

SomeMathGuy posted:

You know, when the dad with Alzheimer's took up smoking in Funky Winkerbean I excused it as a kind of macabre, traditionally Batiuk "joke," but now I'm honestly wondering if the man thinks elderly people frequently start smoking despite literal piles of evidence to the contrary.

They all know smoking is the quickest way out

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Don't be silly; it's only Thursday.

Luann

In a better comic Les's gripe would be legit. It would be revealed that from his point of view, he was the one being mistreated. Luann's pals effectively made rules that he's not allowed to pee in "their" bathroom or flirt with girls they don't approve for him and when Les tried to stick up for himself, they made Ox their enforcer. It makes for a nice little lesson as well that everybody has their own perspective on a given situation and a person's behavior might make sense if you look at it through their eyes.

This is Luann, though, so Les is just making up excuses not to work with a guy he happens not to like because Les is the true bully or something. Luann protagonists never have to learn and grow because they are all perfect, every one.

Even Les's own flesh-and-blood uncle doesn't like him because he knows Les is Just Plain Bad. "Just be pleasant", as though it's just that simple to turn your life around.

• Locked thread