Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

"better than Wisconsin" is pretty much Minnesota's unofficial motto so they nailed that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Michigan is yours..?

Oh: https://ballotpedia.org/%22Michigan_is_Yours%22_Amendment_(2012)

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

System Metternich posted:

lol at Nevada and the entirety of New England

Pretty sure this one's about Alabama's football team too.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Weird to see a callback to a thirty year old Garfield The Animated Series joke.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

I've said it before, but it's a strange feeling seeing a map I made repurposed for this. I wonder where they got the blank.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I just googled 'Canada blank map' and it was one of the first couple that came up.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

I even tried it out in incognito mode and still got the same result, and I'm pretty sure neither me nor my father have ever asked google to find out why feminism is bad. Otoh, on the other PC (used exclusively by me) it's "why only BMW has no problems with diesel", and I have zero interest in cars and never googled anything like this, so who knows :shrug:

Got Alaska spot on, RIP Kivalina.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I had a Maine state of mind once, but thanks to the wonders of modern psychopharmaceuticals, I am better now.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I even tried it out in incognito mode and still got the same result, and I'm pretty sure neither me nor my father have ever asked google to find out why feminism is bad. Otoh, on the other PC (used exclusively by me) it's "why only BMW has no problems with diesel", and I have zero interest in cars and never googled anything like this, so who knows :shrug:

Everyone agrees: Missouri is the worst state.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

drat straight, Tennessee.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Guavanaut posted:

I just googled 'Canada blank map' and it was one of the first couple that came up.

Wow, turns out I did make a blank version and put it on Wikimedia Commons way back in 2006. Huh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What was on the non-blank version?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Aliquid posted:

use a key dammit

is yellow either tv or radio and green is both tv and radio?

Green means officially done as of when that was last updated, yellow meant analog TV was still on. No countries are currently planning to end analog radio broadcasts.

On that note:

Color analog TV standards

Digital TV standards

And here's something different from both, and only marginally related: the standards for monochrome TV, that the color analog systems were overlaid to:

(yeah it's tiny, but the only way to get a larger version is to hunt down some german publication from the 60s)

All of these choices were very politically loaded.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 4, 2016

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

fishmech posted:

Green means officially done as of when that was last updated, yellow meant analog TV was still on. No countries are currently planning to end analog radio broadcasts.

Norway is going off FM in 2017.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fishmech posted:

On that note:

France/Francophone Africa following the former Soviet Union instead of the rest of Europe is surprising, as is that Algeria went the other way.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Aliquid posted:

France/Francophone Africa following the former Soviet Union instead of the rest of Europe is surprising, as is that Algeria went the other way.

That's some excellent speculation re: the SECAM system developed by the French

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Aliquid posted:

France invented SECAM - mostly to spite West German and British TV manufacturers. The Communist bloc (with a few exceptions, like Romania) picked up SECAM as well because the rest of non-Communist Europe had already settled on PAL, and this would mean that eastern bloc residents could only watch in black & white if at all.

East Germans did however quickly start buying PAL conversion hardware,a nd eventually East German government allowed sales of dual-standard TV sets in the country. And with the fall of the soviet union and anti-communist revolutions, most countries switched to PAL because everything about the standard is easier and cheaper than SECAM.

Additionally, a map of analog standards from during the cold war proper would show more SECAM-only countries in Africa and the Middle East, often because either France or the Soviet bloc were selling heavily to them.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

fishmech posted:

On that note:

Color analog TV standards

Who else, when looking at these sorts of maps, finds themselves imagining it's actually a map of various dystopian future mega empires? The Organisation of North American Nations is doing well, but Eastasia is splintering...

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Guavanaut posted:

What was on the non-blank version?

It was a building block for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_evolution_of_Canada

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

Who else, when looking at these sorts of maps, finds themselves imagining it's actually a map of various dystopian future mega empires? The Organisation of North American Nations is doing well, but Eastasia is splintering...

Careful North America, Chinese Greenland is right on your doorstep!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Soviet Commubot posted:

I guess buses don't go to Nunavut.
Not only do no buses go to Nunavut, there are no roads that go to Nunavut.

Well. That's not strictly true because there is an ice road which runs for a few weeks a year to mines in the far west, north of Yellowknife. And there is a proposal to build a highway from Manitoba north to Rankin Inlet, but it would cost $1.2 billion to serve three hamlets with a total population of about 6,000.
It's a long as hell highway, but if it's eventually built there might be bus service!

Iqaluit, the capital and largest city (population 6,699!) did have a bus service at one point, in that there was a colourfully painted school bus that drove around town. The city council shut it down after a year when they realized it would be cheaper just to give everyone taxi vouchers.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ras Het posted:

That's some excellent speculation re: the SECAM system developed by the French

Poor France just can't catch a break these days.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

Who else smokes weed?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

fishmech posted:

No countries are currently planning to end analog radio broadcasts.

Not true; Norway are ending analogue radio broadcasts in January 2017.

The U.K. and Switzerland will probably shut off its national FM transmitters by 2023. No other country is close to switchover.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 5, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think The Netherlands is planning to keep FM for now - but they took a whole load of less popular channels off and moved them to digital.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Poor France just can't catch a break these days.

That is a pretty map.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The famous Central European country Switz.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Anyone feel like quickly explaining how Napoleon got Prussia and Austria to ally with him?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
He beat the piss out of them at Jena and Austerlitz.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Why'd he leave Portugal behind?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Napoleon invaded Portugal in 1807, but was forced out in 1808.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Also, Portugal moved to Brazil.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Fighting through Bourbon Spain weakened his forces and an alliance of Britain and Portugal kicked them out of Portuguese territory pretty quickly.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

National Geographic decides to align their maps with the North Pole.

Africa is still not to scale.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

we didn't need it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TinTower posted:

Not true; Norway are ending analogue radio broadcasts in January 2017.

The U.K. and Switzerland will probably shut off its national FM transmitters by 2023. No other country is close to switchover.

All of these countries are still planning to keep AM analog radio going for the foreseeable future though. You ain't switched over when you still have a whole suite of radio stations up in analog.

Also man, I sure hope the UK is switching to a digital format that doesn't sound like 1998 RealAudio over a dialup modem for their digital radio if they're going to switchover to all digital for their FM stations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Because Sean Bean

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

fishmech posted:

All of these countries are still planning to keep AM analog radio going for the foreseeable future though. You ain't switched over when you still have a whole suite of radio stations up in analog.

Also man, I sure hope the UK is switching to a digital format that doesn't sound like 1998 RealAudio over a dialup modem for their digital radio if they're going to switchover to all digital for their FM stations.

Norway doesn't have AM radio.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the UK shut AM off at the same time as FM, given that nearly all MW stations are available digitally and it's becoming uneconomical for the BBC to keep replacing the valves to keep Radio 4 LW on-air.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Also that map doesn't do a lot of justice to the situation in Spain, which was basically in a big civil war at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Baronjutter posted:

Because Sean Bean

This checks out. Between Sharpe and Hornblower, it's a wonder that the British needed more than two guys to defeat Napoleon.