Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
According to this I should be flying quadblade props over triblade ones?

Anyone tried these 5040x4 from HQProps yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
I have a hubsan x4 and crashed pretty hard a month or two ago, and a motor was fried. This weekend I soldered new motors on and its flying again, and I'm addicted. Where can I buy some crazy rear end super high power brushed motors for this lil guy?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

According to this I should be flying quadblade props over triblade ones?

Anyone tried these 5040x4 from HQProps yet?

i feel like thats missing some key props like hqprops' triblade and such

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There were more results. Here's the whole shebang.

http://intofpv.com/t-emax-rs2205-2300kv-thrust-result-triblades-props

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Sorry to interrupt quad chat, but will anyone else be at Joe Nall this year? I assume Wojcigitty will be around, would love to meet up (teach me to not suck at 3D) with others a night or two during the event.

I plan on building something while I'm there, not sure if that will include a quad or not, as all I have are a couple small ones. Really want to find something to put my DLE 55RA in!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

subx posted:

Sorry to interrupt quad chat, but will anyone else be at Joe Nall this year? I assume Wojcigitty will be around, would love to meet up (teach me to not suck at 3D) with others a night or two during the event.

I plan on building something while I'm there, not sure if that will include a quad or not, as all I have are a couple small ones. Really want to find something to put my DLE 55RA in!

Hells yes. I'll be at the EF tent for most of the event. Getting there Tuesday afternoon

nerox
May 20, 2001
I am actually going to be camping near Clayton, GA on May 12-15. Joe Nall is like a 2 hour drive, which I may make if the weather is terrible where I am camping.

Of course, I won't have any planes or quads with me, I would just be going to watch.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

nerox posted:

I am actually going to be camping near Clayton, GA on May 12-15. Joe Nall is like a 2 hour drive, which I may make if the weather is terrible where I am camping.

Of course, I won't have any planes or quads with me, I would just be going to watch.

There is as many or more spectators than pilots. Although you do need to be an AMA member or have an AMA friend to spectate.

It's a really neat event and you should check it out for a day if you have a chance.

nerox
May 20, 2001

subx posted:

There is as many or more spectators than pilots. Although you do need to be an AMA member or have an AMA friend to spectate.

It's a really neat event and you should check it out for a day if you have a chance.

Yeah I am an AMA member, I was at SEFF the other week, it helps I live less than an hour from Hodge's. (I really miss Mac's store :()

I actually started flying RC over a decade ago

subx
Jan 12, 2003

nerox posted:

Yeah I am an AMA member, I was at SEFF the other week, it helps I live less than an hour from Hodge's. (I really miss Mac's store :()

I actually started flying RC over a decade ago

Ah ok, never know in this thread. We are never far off from a rage against the machine style "gently caress the AMA" song. If you are going to stop by be sure to poat and let us know!

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

I'm thinking about picking up a zmr250 after watching the rcmodelreviews build series. anyone familiar with these? just wondering if there is anything that should be done diferently. I would be getting the v2 frame with the pdb. Wondering about things like will the 12A escs scale up to when i drop some 2200 motors on to upgrade the 1806s. Also I'm sure that best price per dollar parts have changed in the since that was made. Been trying to read up on this but the 2200 page thread on rcgroups is a long read.

here is some other guys build list for a parts breakdown of the original build.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

HoogieChooChoo posted:

I have a hubsan x4 and crashed pretty hard a month or two ago, and a motor was fried. This weekend I soldered new motors on and its flying again, and I'm addicted. Where can I buy some crazy rear end super high power brushed motors for this lil guy?

Yes, there are some crazy fast motors for them at micro motor warehouse.
The videos are nuts. The quad just disappears.

https://micro-motor-warehouse.com/products/cl-0820-17

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Unsane posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a zmr250 after watching the rcmodelreviews build series. anyone familiar with these? just wondering if there is anything that should be done diferently. I would be getting the v2 frame with the pdb. Wondering about things like will the 12A escs scale up to when i drop some 2200 motors on to upgrade the 1806s. Also I'm sure that best price per dollar parts have changed in the since that was made. Been trying to read up on this but the 2200 page thread on rcgroups is a long read.

The only things really jumping out are the TX and Rx. I'd get a Taranis x9d Tx and a Frsky x4rsb Rx. Then change the build a little to use SBUS because it's less wires to wrangle.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Unsane posted:

much has changed since then in the motor and battery and fpv and cheap props department, please let me try to update the cheap list for you today.

edit: theres also a million drat frames in the 30-40 range now, but if you have access to a 3d printer, there are still some reasons to keep using the zmr 250.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tg_3tTRpHcqEUSl9qj7wWNTngJ4GrhuT87D_UyHuPKg/edit#gid=0

The alien clone on banggood is one option, though there are at least two revisions now and I don't know what you'll get - hobbyin will sell you the new version for $45. The RMRC frames are probably very solid as well, and under $40

I think full size pdbs that try to integrate everything are a bit overkill. Less is more - you can get 30mm sized pdbs that integrate BECs and filters if you want, and if you use the frsky system as suggested above, most of what you want to know can be sent over telemetry and shouted at you when necessary. and it doesn't become a load bearing part of the frame in crashes.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 4, 2016

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The manual that came with my Diatone 850TVL camera (which is the manual for the Diatone 700 TVL camera as aparently my camera does not exist) states it needs 12V power. The guy i bought it from said he tested it with 5V just fine.
Since i know gently caress all about how electricity works, what is the long term consequence of supplying too low voltage to a component? I am assuming the consequences are less severe than supplying too much.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
It wasn't a Diatone, but I have connected a 12v camera to 5v power in the past and it just didn't work. The camera still functioned later when I used it on a another build with a 12v out available.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
How many goons are going to the drone day show in Toronto this weekend?

I'll be there probably around 11am.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Brekelefuw posted:

How many goons are going to the drone day show in Toronto this weekend?

I'll be there probably around 11am.

I will be at the one in Boston

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Sadly I'm working this weekend.

The one in Toronto should be an interesting show. Hopefully this year the media actually looks at the smaller racers rather than completely ignoring them in favour of the giant camera rigs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

When doing flips and poo poo, does that require airmode or is it just plain low throttle?

SPM
Jan 7, 2009
I'm looking to get a 250 size quad as I like my Hubsan but want to do more (then eventually get into FPV)

I've been using this website as a basis that someone posted before in this thread.

The closest I can find to that kit in the uk is here https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/qav-zmr-250-mini-diy-quadcopter-kit/
QAV250 carbon fibre quadcopter frame
4x 2400Kv Brushless motors
4x 12A SimonK ESC
4x 5030 Propellers
1x CC3D Open Pilot Flight Controller
1x Power Distribution Board

Nothing in that is glaringly out of date?

Is there anything to look out for in picking out a battery? This one looks alright to me.

What's the nicer than needed at the beginner but good for future proofing transmitter and receiver? I'm going to go back in the thread now and see if I can find it.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
It's very suspicious to me how little detail they are giving about the components. No size or brand for the motors, no brand ESCs. CC3D is kind of out of date too with how fast things have been changing. Also, that's not a QAV250 frame, it looks like a ZMR250 knock off. (ZMR250 clones are fine for starting out by the way, but if they mislabeling that, then what else?)

It may be cheap, but I'd really save up for something a bit less sketchy if that's all you can afford.

For a 250-size quad, 1300mAh is usually plenty. Also, I'd start out with 3S, the jump to 4S power is huge. I'd guess the suggested transmitter was the FrSky Taranis X9D.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose it's a cheap starter kit, but you'll be tossing most of it away eventually.

And yeah, X9D+ is a very nice transmitter that supports OpenTX, which is some open source firmware. And it's a robust radio protocol, too.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

SPM posted:

I'm looking to get a 250 size quad as I like my Hubsan but want to do more (then eventually get into FPV)

I've been using this website as a basis that someone posted before in this thread.

The closest I can find to that kit in the uk is here https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/qav-zmr-250-mini-diy-quadcopter-kit/
4x 12A SimonK ESC
4x 5030 Propellers

Is there anything to look out for in picking out a battery? This one looks alright to me.

What's the nicer than needed at the beginner but good for future proofing transmitter and receiver? I'm going to go back in the thread now and see if I can find it.

https://www.miniquadbros.com

What are you going to do about charging?

I can't even imagine spending money on a real mini without simultaneously getting what I need for fpv. Yeah knowing los is important for emergency, but los only on a real race quad sounds kinda rough.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 5, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SPM posted:

4x 12A SimonK ESC
4x 5030 Propellers

If you're in the UK this kit will be decent for a beginner:

http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/emax-nighthawk-200-carbon-combo-kit-2224-p.asp

It's not terribly more expensive than the kit you listed but it's currently out of stock. It's a much more modern and compact parts list though, so even as a place to start it is better imo.

What do you got? Oh I fly a 6 inch seed pod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3fM6VwXXFM

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 5, 2016

SPM
Jan 7, 2009
Thank you :) Just needed someone to point me a bit more in the right direction!

nerox
May 20, 2001

bring back old gbs posted:

I wouldn't want to fly that one FPV.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Hi thread,

I just bought a DJI F450 kit and started assembling it, but the diagram for how you should solder the ESCs' wires onto the frame, doesn't at all address the fact that the wires are held tightly together in a plastic enclosure, such that their leads can hardly get half a centimeter apart.

Am I really meant to cut the tube open to pull them apart, or is the idea that I solder another pair of wires onto those wires and the frame? I've never heard of soldering a wire's lead onto that of another wire and it seems like it could get messy.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 6, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

Simplest flying machine my rear end, considering the presumably advanced algorithms needed to keep it stable. Won't be done with just a bunch of PIDs.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

About to start tuning my quad in betaflight. Do you guys tune LOS or FPV?

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Why is it so hard to find a straight up comparison on motors? Trying to find a decent set of 1806s for my zmr build. Seems like all the reviews are just rear end kissing for free stuff. Any recommendations in the ~$15 range? Probably just getting a set of dys.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Is this art?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Unsane posted:

Why is it so hard to find a straight up comparison on motors? Trying to find a decent set of 1806s for my zmr build. Seems like all the reviews are just rear end kissing for free stuff. Any recommendations in the ~$15 range? Probably just getting a set of dys.

I've got DYS 1806's on several frames. I've got no complaints.

This is a problem I intend on addressing. But it probably won't happen till august or so.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I run Paragonuav 1806 2950kvs and they can handle Dal 4x4.5x3s on 4s and probably the bullnose triblades as well.
I just snagged up the last 3 pairs, though and it'll be a few weeks before he get more back in stock.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Stinky_Pete posted:

Hi thread,

I just bought a DJI F450 kit and started assembling it, but the diagram for how you should solder the ESCs' wires onto the frame, doesn't at all address the fact that the wires are held tightly together in a plastic enclosure, such that their leads can hardly get half a centimeter apart.

Am I really meant to cut the tube open to pull them apart, or is the idea that I solder another pair of wires onto those wires and the frame? I've never heard of soldering a wire's lead onto that of another wire and it seems like it could get messy.

Picture please.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Went to the Toronto Drone thing today. It was pretty lovely. When I was there, there was only one vendor and about 10 people doing time trials.
Watching people with real FPV drones was cool, and there were some nice crashes, but I wish there were more vendors to browse.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Brekelefuw posted:

Went to the Toronto Drone thing today. It was pretty lovely. When I was there, there was only one vendor and about 10 people doing time trials.
Watching people with real FPV drones was cool, and there were some nice crashes, but I wish there were more vendors to browse.

Yeah I went with $300 cash and couldn't have spent it if I tried. I had a whole list of flight controllers and PDBs and OSDs I wanted to get.

fucker wont stop making this face at me:argh:

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 8, 2016

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Picture please.

I think this is the same model (not sure about the S or the 180mm), but the thing labeled "425mm" is what I'm talking about.

Meanwhile, the schematic shows this

As if the wires are two separate wires leading from separate holes in the ESC body. What's up with that?

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

They're just Siamese wires right? Split the outer casing until you have the length you need on the power wires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Unsane posted:

They're just Siamese wires right? Split the outer casing until you have the length you need on the power wires.

What worries me is that while one of the wires is surrounded in red plastic, the other one appears to be just a bunch of copper, no casing of its own. Isn't that, like, unsafe?

edit: found a video where they assemble a similar version and it really is just a matter of pulling the exposed wire out to separate it from the red one. okay.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 10, 2016