Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

happyhippy posted:

There is a joke starting to go around that if Trump wins Ethopia and Somalia will start having charity concerts to feed the US.

Unfortunately, the food shipments will be banned from entering the US until we can figure out what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

rkajdi posted:

The people shouldn't die, but if they're unwilling to accept new decent people into the community, the community has to die.

And if taking kids away from parents because Wrong Think speeds that up you're on board right?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

The Guardian has a big, sad article on America's Trailer Parks and the moneypeople who profit handsomely from them.

TLDR; people living in mobile homes have very little protection from landowners.

This article is from a year ago but it's still a pretty good read.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sir Tonk posted:

I was like, this has to be HA Goodman and yep it was HA Goodman.

Dude should get a job at FoxNews, he's obsessed with hating on Clinton.

I'm really eager to see HA Goodman's November article: "Why Bernie Sanders Is Actually President, Despite What The Establishment Is Telling You"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Good god I hope this catches on and spreads to everything, everywhere. Binding arbitration clauses are such unbelievably transparent horse poo poo designed for absolutely no reason other than loving people over and circumventing the entire justice system.

It's also some of the most frustratingly disingenuous poo poo for a lawyer to be saying keeping people out of courts and letting paid off third parties decide legal matters is "a benefit" that consumers will be losing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I was considering yesterday that this might be the first time in modern history that an outgoing President will be actively campaigning for their successor.

Bush 43 knew to stay the hell away and McCain hated him anyway; Gore wanted Clinton to stay away; Reagan was pretty much gone at that point; LBJ was toxic and Eisenhower didn't really campaign for Nixon, Truman might be the last time that really happened, but even then he didn't campaign aggressively for Stevenson.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

And if taking kids away from parents because Wrong Think speeds that up you're on board right?

please don't activate the shitposting cell again

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm really eager to see HA Goodman's November article: "Why Bernie Sanders Is Actually President, Despite What The Establishment Is Telling You"

He can still win! She's going to be arrested any day now!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Not unless they're at the unsuitable/abusive family situation. But if we're talking about some idiot thinking spare the rod, spoil the child or pray the gay away, yeah they shouldn't get the ability to ruin their kids. And I want a decent compulsory education system to make sure that their parent's pre-modern thinking isn't continued into the next generation. The backwoods rebel culture needs to go away, and the state needs to use its power to make sure it does.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey, someone at VOX wrote an article that I think makes sense and I agree with some of the statements made.

quote:

The media cannot countenance a lopsided race

No institution needs a competitive election more than the media, especially what remains of the "objective" campaign media. Imagine writing this headline:

Trump, bad candidate, likely to lose

Now imagine writing it again and again for six months — and watching your web traffic dwindle into nothing. Sad!

The campaign press requires, for its ongoing health and advertising revenue, a real race. It needs controversies. "Donald Trump is not fit to be president" may be the accurate answer to pretty much every relevant question about the race, but it's not an interesting answer. It's too final, too settled. No one wants to click on it.

What's more, the campaign media's self-image is built on not being partisan, which precludes adjudicating political disputes. How does that even work if one side is offering up a flawed centrist and the other is offering up a vulgar xenophobic demagogue?

It would be profoundly out of character for reporters to spend the six months between now and the election writing, again and again, that one side's candidate is a liar and a racist and an egomaniac. It would be uncomfortable, personally and professionally.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

rkajdi posted:

Not unless they're at the unsuitable/abusive family situation. But if we're talking about some idiot thinking spare the rod, spoil the child or pray the gay away, yeah they shouldn't get the ability to ruin their kids. And I want a decent compulsory education system to make sure that their parent's pre-modern thinking isn't continued into the next generation. The backwoods rebel culture needs to go away, and the state needs to use its power to make sure it does.

And how do you propose the state do that.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

So another group is going to file an amicus brief with SCOTUS declaring the CFPB unconstitutional, then. Good to know.

Doctor Butts posted:

Hey, someone at VOX wrote an article that I think makes sense and I agree with some of the statements made.

This is the main reason Trump has a reasonably good chance (at least 25%) of becoming president. Manufactured consent is a hell of a thing.

"Yeah, Trump might have literally called for the deportation of all non-white Americans, but him being a xenophobe? Well that's just Hillary's opinion! Here's a list of 25 reasons Trump isn't actually a xenophobe!"

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 5, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

fascism but it's okay because he enjoys the flavor

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

sean10mm posted:

Trump basically showed that the GOP establishment's interests are completely disconnected from what the rank-and-file actually wants. They might actually be kinda hosed. I mean they'll own gerrymandered Southern states forever, but still.

GOPe is 90% concerned with an economic policy (tax cuts for the rich, corporate welfare, free trade, cheap labor) that the base rejected the instant Trump offered them populist protectionism and sanctions against US companies that export jobs as an alternative. The closest thing to policy positions Trump even has are mega-protectionism and For Real expulsion of immigrants, and it was an instant winner among a plurality of Republican primary voters. Ted Cruz might sell himself as an anti-establishment Tea Party guy, but he wouldn't stop yammering about economic policy that was pure GOPe right to the end. Plus, you know, he's a senator who literally married into loving Goldman Sachs. And reeking of the hated establishment while being hated by the establishment for backstabbing the poo poo out of them over and over is no way to make a living (go figure.)

Now, Trump isn't really winning on economic policy, but pro-business economic policy is what the GOPe wants, and it turns out the base gives ABSOLUTELY ZERO FUCKS about it the second a not-Democrat offers them anything else. It's actually kind of crazy/hilarious how the base instantly loved it when Trump set the economic orthodoxy of the GOPe on fire. That just leaves the GOPe to pander to social conservatism, which they'll never do as well as someone like Trump who will simply say out loud what the GOPe can only dog-whistle.

Of course Trump's gonzo charm won't show up every year (I don't think...?) but the problems that made his rampage through the primary season possible are baked in.

I think this is a good analysis. The anti-immigration, anti-outsourcing, protectionism stance actually all fits real well. Although the anti immigrant stance could be attributed to straight racism im thinking it is more based in a large swath of the population getting the sense that imported labor is crushing their wages.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Torpor posted:

I think this is a good analysis. The anti-immigration, anti-outsourcing, protectionism stance actually all fits real well. Although the anti immigrant stance could be attributed to straight racism im thinking it is more based in a large swath of the population getting the sense that imported labor is crushing their wages.

Those aren't disconnected. The fear that immigrants are taking your job is inherently racist.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Luigi Thirty posted:

Pat Buchanan was just on NPR talking about how America was better in 1960 and diversity is destroying the country so he wants to deport all immigrants who don't assimilate because they're destroying white American culture.

I tuned into that while they were talking so I didn't know it was Pat at first. It was so incredibly racist at parts it was amazing. Hearing at the end it was Pat was almost depressingly unsurprising.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I fully expect more than one delegate Lindsay Graham to be fully sloshed and making drunk tirades.
FTFY

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So whatever happened to Fried Chicken?

Seriously, did Mike Pence actually have him murdered?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

The next time someone starts talking to you about how the "Mexicans" are going to take all our jobs or something, ask them who they think are largest group of undocumented immigrants.

Spoiler: it's college students who overstay their visas.

Boon posted:

So whatever happened to Fried Chicken?

Seriously, did Mike Pence actually have him murdered?

:ohdear:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/05/trump-loving-tow-truck-driver-says-god-told-him-to-leave-bernie-sanders-supporter-stranded/

quote:

A South Carolina tow truck driver said God told him to leave a disabled Bernie Sanders supporter stranded along the interstate.

Cassy McWade was involved in a car crash near Asheville, North Carolina, and her family called their regular mechanic to drive 45 minutes north from his shop to haul her wrecked vehicle back for repairs, reported WHNS-TV.

Ken Shupe, owner of Shupee Max Towing, arrived about an hour later and began hooking McWade’s car up to his truck — until he spotted the Sanders campaign sticker on her bumper and the yard sign placed in her rear window.

“He goes around back and comes back and says, ‘I can’t tow you,'” McWade said. “My first instinct was there must be something wrong with the car, and he says, ‘No, you’re a Bernie supporter.’ And I was like, ‘Wait — really?’ And he says, ‘Yes ma’am,’ and just walks away.”

Shupe offered a supernatural explanation for his decision to leave the 25-year-old McWade, who suffers from arthritis and other health conditions, alongside I-26.

“Something came over me, I think the Lord came to me, and He just said, ‘Get in the truck and leave,'” Shupe said. “And when I got in my truck, you know, I was so proud, because I felt like I finally drew a line in the sand and stood up for what I believed.”

Sorry bernie fans, you're not getting help from real Americans cause God says so.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Doctor Butts posted:

I think the next six months of media are going to depend a lot on the GOP's ability to keep Donald Trump from constantly sticking his foot in his mouth in the worst possible ways. I can't picture journalists constantly bringing up what a horrible person Donald Trump is unprompted, but media outlets will be more than happy to run an endless parade of "look at stupid thing Trump just did," especially after eating so much flak over their role in propping up his primary campaign.

The idea that the media will try to bring Clinton down to appear balanced is just silly alarmism, though.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
^^^^
There was that CBS exec that openly stated that covering Trump was great for business. He's going to ride this primary coverage all the way to November.

Doctor Butts posted:

I agree, and that it is a sad state of affairs. It's also not any different than it's ever been with print media in place of cable news media and I'm not sure that anything can change that because economics, nature, whatever.

Just gotta keep interacting with people on a personal level :)

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 5, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jesus weeps

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

This is fantastic.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Boon posted:

^^^^
There was that CBS exec that openly stated that covering Trump was great for business. He's going to ride this primary coverage all the way to November.

Yeah it was none other than Les Moonves.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Boon posted:

^^^^

I agree, and that it is a sad state of affairs. It's also not any different than it's ever been with print media in place of cable news media and I'm not sure that anything can change that because economics, nature, whatever.

Just gotta keep interacting with people on a personal level :)

The point is that exposure for Trump isn't really a good thing.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's free advertising, and it helped him win the primary. You're nuts if you don't think that the media's attempts to spin it as a horse race won't make the election closer than it by all rights should be.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I honestly can't tell if we're on the verge of a popular backlash against corporate power or in the last throes of the consumer insurgency.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's free advertising, and it helped him win the primary. You're nuts if you don't think that the media's attempts to spin it as a horse race won't make the election closer than it by all rights should be.

I have said this like a billion times, but the things that made him successful in the Republican Primary do not translate to the General Election.

Like the more Trump is on TV saying dumb poo poo, the more often voters are reminded of why he cannot be the President. Trump is going to get absolutely destroyed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I have said this like a billion times, but the things that made him successful in the Republican Primary do not translate to the General Election.

Like the more Drumpf is on TV saying dumb poo poo, the more often voters are reminded of why he cannot be the President. Drumpf is going to get absolutely destroyed.

It's this, winning your primary is not winning the election, and the desires of the republican party are different than the desires of many major aspects of America

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah it was none other than Les Moonves.

Do you mean Les Moonvest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPP8DJPbBkw

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Epic High Five posted:

You're right, but the twist is that the next Trump will be worse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the next Trump figure will be Literally Hitler cloned from traces of Hitler's DNA acquired from the old Soviet archives and resurrected through cutting-edge cloning technology.

Imagine Bionic Commando but with Republicans filling the role of the villains.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SumYungGui posted:

Good god I hope this catches on and spreads to everything, everywhere. Binding arbitration clauses are such unbelievably transparent horse poo poo designed for absolutely no reason other than loving people over and circumventing the entire justice system.

It's also some of the most frustratingly disingenuous poo poo for a lawyer to be saying keeping people out of courts and letting paid off third parties decide legal matters is "a benefit" that consumers will be losing.

Unfortunately it will probably take legislation to do that and even with a Democratic majority in both houses there are enough "business friendly" democrats and republicans that a full prohibition on form contracts with binding arbitration would be difficult to get through. A ban on prohibitions on class action waivers might stand a better chance.

Stare decisis means that even with Scalia gone a Supreme Court fix is unlikely as it would require overturning a whole bunch of past (5-4) rulings. The last arbitration case at the Supreme Court shows this in action as it was 6-3 with Breyer and Kagan joining the conservatives in the majority and Breyer saying that the previous decisions made the case pretty open and shut.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Wait, no you're right I misinterpreted the original article - ignore this.

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 5, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Boon posted:

Well yeah I get that.

I'm just saying that it's not any different than it ever was and the only solution is to engage people personally on these matters, because exposing 'the media' is not going to suddenly force them into growing a conscious as long as they're pulling ratings and page-clicks.

Well yes, that I agree with.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Like the more Trump is on TV saying dumb poo poo, the more often voters are reminded of why he cannot be the President. Trump is going to get absolutely destroyed.

Of course not. I didn't mean to imply that the strategy will win the election for him, only that Trump would likely be 2-3 points further down if the media wasn't going to make it look like Trump was an equally acceptable choice in a horse race.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

rkajdi posted:

The people shouldn't die, but if they're unwilling to accept new decent people into the community, the community has to die.

Think of it like all the eruotrash whinging about how the immigrants they're taking in "aren't European". It's the same here, and the warbling is cover for the same main issue-- the new people won't pass the paper bag test.

Absolutely. America isn't a homogenus culture, no matter how much Republicans want it to be.

Europe was never branded as a melting pot though. And it isn't the same issue as here with the racism either. You'll get Germans (just as an example, most of Europe is this way) pissed off that "Greeks are moving in and Taking all ze jobs!", almost as quickly as they get mad about Turks (who aren't exactly Brown by paper bag standards either). Outsiders are outsiders. Bringing in new religions, customs and such, while rejecting the host nation's culture, makes them seem (to locals) like imperialists and invaders. A lot of folks hated the idea of the E.U. for this very reason.

This isn't a European phenomenon. Asia, Africa and even South America (at least the places with working governments) are just as bad, if not worse.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Of course not. I didn't mean to imply that the strategy will win the election for him, only that Trump would likely be 2-3 points further down if the media wasn't going to make it look like Trump was an equally acceptable choice in a horse race.

I don't think there's any way to at all quantify that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I want Trump to win, just to see Putin openly urinate on him at their first meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I'd say a universal standard for education (As in, here's a curriculum you must teach to period. If you want to private school a kid, they still get a uniform education. No homeschooling obviously since we aren't a third-world hovel) that does a lot to force modernity onto kids would be a good place to start. Forced busing desegregation would be another one. Basically force race and class mixing to the maximum extent possible to destroy the idea that people are inherently different, all the while pushing an education showing how pre-modernity was a trash time to be stuck in. If people step out of line and start trying to block integration again, use the national guard just like was done during the first segregation push. You will have pre-modernity educated out of people within a generation.

It'll probably kill most rural communities, since once the romantic mythology is gone all you're left with is a whole lot of nothing and limited work opportunities. But that was already happening on smaller and slower scale.

• Locked thread