Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Halberds are so good in this game. They kill me every time in PVP.. They seem like the best weapon class

It's because of their unpredictable moveset and difficulty in parrying. They vary constantly between cutting sweeps and overhand smashes, then there's the spin slash many halberds/glaives have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Does it work well? I assume most people aren't using anti bleed Moss, but how many hits do you need to build it up? Also what the hell should I be offhanding? Hollow +6 whip could be funny I guess? Caestus i miss parries with andsince I can't one shot anyways why bother

Just... play like you normally would. The whole reason a Luck build is so powerful is because it doesn't require any finesse. Slap Rouge onto Anri's Sword or Hollow Warden Twinblades, do lots of damage, and have bleed proc every 2-4 hits.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

codo27 posted:

All the secrets in the game are great. But basic NPC interaction shouldn't be so secretive. I sent Greirat off the Irithyll and I killed pontiff so I guess he's dead now or something. I have never encountered Siegward beyond the initial (?) meeting on the elevator with the archer and the battle he joins you in after, and I've only ever seen Patches at the tower outside Firelink and I've read both of them are imperative to keeping Greirat alive. I only have Yuria in my firelink for the first time now on my third playthrough, she keeps telling me about Anri who I also have been unable to advance it seems. I see her on the Road of Sacrifices, then in the shrine but not since. And I mean I'm somewhat of a completionist, I always try to exhaust every path and turn every corner, how am I missing out on so much?

DS3, like all Souls games, is explicitly intended to be played with a guide open if you want to complete everything.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Jastiger posted:

She recognizes you in lit firelink or UNlit firelink? Because if you go to untended graves and talk to her, and she remembers you in the LIT firelink, that does throw things off, right? If untended is in the past, why do we have a firekeepers eyes there? Why is Hawkwoods items outisde, or umbral ash inside? It doesn't make sense that characters from the "future" lit firelink have items in the "past" unlit firelink, right?

The firekeeper eyes are said to be the eyes of the first firekeeper specifically.

If you go to UG without talking to the maiden in Firelink, talk to the maiden in UG, then talk to her in Firelink, her dialogue is "Thou'rt...oh, nevermind" or something along those lines.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Even if you don't use Carthus and go for bleed, Anris is good because it's one of the cheapest stat investments for the damage. This lets you get a lot of health and stamina instead. Just the moveset and speed of straight swords makes them one of the best weapons at higher skill levels.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Does it work well? I assume most people aren't using anti bleed Moss, but how many hits do you need to build it up? Also what the hell should I be offhanding? Hollow +6 whip could be funny I guess? Caestus i miss parries with andsince I can't one shot anyways why bother

Yes, it works very well. With high Luck you're bleeding people very, very quickly. Offhand something to parry with and Hollow-infuse it for bonus Luck (assuming you have Hollowing).

Jastiger posted:

She recognizes you in lit firelink or UNlit firelink? Because if you go to untended graves and talk to her, and she remembers you in the LIT firelink, that does throw things off, right? If untended is in the past, why do we have a firekeepers eyes there? Why is Hawkwoods items outisde, or umbral ash inside? It doesn't make sense that characters from the "future" lit firelink have items in the "past" unlit firelink, right?

If you talk to her in Untended Graves before you talk to her in the normal Firelink, she remembers you in normal Firelink because she already met you in Untended Graves. As for the Eyes of a Fire Keeper, who says they belonged to our Fire Keeper originally? There's a pile of Fire Keeper corpses in Firelink Shrine. There have been many Fire Keepers. The eyes belonged to the "first" of them, explicitly.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 5, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

codo27 posted:

All the secrets in the game are great. But basic NPC interaction shouldn't be so secretive. I sent Greirat off the Irithyll and I killed pontiff so I guess he's dead now or something. I have never encountered Siegward beyond the initial (?) meeting on the elevator with the archer and the battle he joins you in after, and I've only ever seen Patches at the tower outside Firelink and I've read both of them are imperative to keeping Greirat alive. I only have Yuria in my firelink for the first time now on my third playthrough, she keeps telling me about Anri who I also have been unable to advance it seems. I see her on the Road of Sacrifices, then in the shrine but not since. And I mean I'm somewhat of a completionist, I always try to exhaust every path and turn every corner, how am I missing out on so much?

Souls NPC quests are always finnicky and weird. If you want to go full completionist on those without a guide you basically need to be prepared to scour the entire game world after you reach every new area and every time you beat a boss. It's not all that practical.

Anri is in the Catacombs of Carthus right now, near where the big, rolling ball of skeletons is. You might still be able to progress her quest if you haven't killed Aldrich yet. You can find out if Greirat is dead or not by going to that little sewer area in Irithyll with the spider-ladies and seeing if his corpse is there. If it isn't, go talk to Patches and tell him where Greirat went. Otherwise, sorry, he's toast. I hosed that one up, too.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Harrow posted:

Yes, it works very well. With high Luck you're bleeding people very, very quickly. Offhand something to parry with and Hollow-infuse it for bonus Luck (assuming you have Hollowing).

Sadly, don't have hollowing. That being said, why warden twinblades? Might be fun to try them out

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

Vermain posted:

I mean... you can also just sprint past everything, for no cost, with any ring equipped at all.

There's a difference though between sprinting where you know you want to go and not being able to stop and kill anything without being overwhelmed vs being able to go slowly and explore and kill anything you want with very little risk. It's kind of relaxing as opposed to just avoiding everything.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

turtlecrunch posted:

They're black knights. They use black knight weapons even if you're not sure about the armor color.

Black Knight (the armor anyway, the actual dude is bigger and way cooler than some unkindled scrub)

Silver Knight

Weren't the black knights just silver knights that went with Gwyn to link the flame and got their armor scorched?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Sadly, don't have hollowing. That being said, why warden twinblades? Might be fun to try them out

Warden Twinblades are fast, have innate bleed, can be infused to be Hollow, and you can still apply Rouge on top for near-instant bleeding.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Warden Twinblades build up bleed exceedingly quickly, and can be buffed with Carthus Rouge to make it happen even faster. Just don't put the Blood infusion on them, it's total poo poo. Go Hollow if you're super-high Luck, even if you don't have any hollowing (though you should try to get some if you go to NG+, because you get bonus Luck for being hollow if you wield a Hollow weapon).

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

StashAugustine posted:

Weren't the black knights just silver knights that went with Gwyn to link the flame and got their armor scorched?

They also use more demon slaying huge weapons instead of the silver knight's sane weapons.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
DS2 had basically perfect NPC quests in that every trigger for them doing something was "exhaust dialogue" and when they ended up in Firelink, you knew that everything had gone well. It was a little boring and less dynamic, but otoh I'm really not fond of DS1's "play the guess where Siegmeyer went and if you hosed up by killing one too many bosses in the meantime game" bullshit, and also less than fond of DS3 doing exactly the same because apparently, everything that DS2 did was dumb and stupid.

I'm actually curious about the Luck thing. I think I might do a Luck playthrough for NG+, just restat to it and go for it, because I want to get the Hollow ending anyway so I'd have that going for me, but I actually gave away Anri's Sword to a friend and wouldn't have really wanted to use it anyway. But that seems to be THE reason to do a Luck build? What about just Hollow infusing...well, anything? Or should it really be something with Bleed? Can you infuse most Bleed weapons? Does anything else natively scale with Luck except for the Man-Grub's Staff which I don't remember?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harrow posted:

Souls NPC quests are always finnicky and weird. If you want to go full completionist on those without a guide you basically need to be prepared to scour the entire game world after you reach every new area and every time you beat a boss. It's not all that practical.

Unfortunately even that isn't enough- for example, the siegward/patches quest requires you to go to the end of the COTD level and open the door, then at some point you need to think to return to the first part of the level to actually find Siegward in the well. It's super dumb. Now if the Patches cutscene with him wearing the armor triggered through normal exploration, that would give you a hint, but that cutscene only triggers if you reload the area after opening the doors at the end, and also if you haven't already killed the giant/raised the bridges yourself, which you would if you had explored the area fully before going to the boss.

The same thing with Greirat in Irithyll- the game punishes you for exploring fully and finding the jail bonfire before Siegward or Pontiff.

StashAugustine posted:

More or less. They were the knights that Gwyn used on excursions rather than the ones left at home to babysit the kids.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

DS2 had basically perfect NPC quests in that every trigger for them doing something was "exhaust dialogue" and when they ended up in Firelink, you knew that everything had gone well. It was a little boring and less dynamic, but otoh I'm really not fond of DS1's "play the guess where Siegmeyer went and if you hosed up by killing one too many bosses in the meantime game" bullshit, and also less than fond of DS3 doing exactly the same because apparently, everything that DS2 did was dumb and stupid.

I didn't like DS2's NPC quests at all. The ones you refer to aren't really quests--they're "talk to an NPC to get a new vendor in Majula." Then they sat there and did nothing for the rest of the game. Even the stone vendor, who is sitting right outside her father's workshop, barely acknowledges that that's her father, and vice versa. It's just so unsatisfying. The ones that are actual quests, like Lucatiel's, are a huge pain in the rear end because they revolve around summoning NPCs for bosses and making sure they survive in order to progress. If you're planning on soloing all the bosses on your first playthrough, like some people do, you're either going to have to not do that, or accept that you won't complete Lucatiel's or Benhart's quests, which kind of sucks.

I agree that DS3's are too obscure, though--or, maybe more specifically, I think they're too time-critical. It's too easy to progress the story too far and then miss out on quest triggers. That said, I love the couple of twists DS3 does on the "summon an NPC for a boss to advance their quest line" thing, because the couple times it happens, you're the one who gets summoned. That owns.

Okay, then there's Siegward, whose "help with a boss" moment is reminiscent of Biorr from Demon's Souls, but he's also helping you fight a gimmick boss, so it stings a bit less that you can't solo it if you want to properly finish Siegward's quest.

Simply Simon posted:

I'm actually curious about the Luck thing. I think I might do a Luck playthrough for NG+, just restat to it and go for it, because I want to get the Hollow ending anyway so I'd have that going for me, but I actually gave away Anri's Sword to a friend and wouldn't have really wanted to use it anyway. But that seems to be THE reason to do a Luck build? What about just Hollow infusing...well, anything? Or should it really be something with Bleed? Can you infuse most Bleed weapons? Does anything else natively scale with Luck except for the Man-Grub's Staff which I don't remember?

The only reason to go for a Luck build is bleed, in my opinion. You can infuse most weapons with innate bleed, just don't infuse them with the Blood infusion (even though it seems like you should)--it doesn't help with bleed build-up that much and nukes the base damage. Go Hollow, or go for a 40/40 Dex/Luck build and go Sharp. Anri's is the one thing that ends up with really great base damage on a pure Luck build, and can still build bleed very well with Carthus Rouge, so it's the other option.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Unfortunately even that isn't enough- for example, the siegward/patches quest requires you to go to the end of the COTD level and open the door, then at some point you need to think to return to the first part of the level to actually find Siegward in the well. It's super dumb. Now if the Patches cutscene with him wearing the armor triggered through normal exploration, that would give you a hint, but that cutscene only triggers if you reload the area after opening the doors at the end, and also if you haven't already killed the giant/raised the bridges yourself, which you would if you had explored the area fully before going to the boss.
That can't be fully true, Patches showed up for me trap ready after I had already killed both giants (dunno about the bridges, but probably did pull the levers at some point). He even has extra flustered dialogue for that. Though for my friends he never showed up (anywhere!), and I think they found the path to Rosaria (aka the other side of the Patches bridge) way before I did, so that might be a problem.

Also, I don't know if Patches is supposed to end up in Firelink or wherever else, but for me he was stuck on the Rosaria bonfire side for the entire game. Didn't even expand his inventory to include the ring, but I'm gonna kill him anyway so whatever. Strange though.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
I like how obscure the different story lines are tbh, makes it feel more like you're uncovering secrets instead of just following a series of quests like every other game ever. Plus it gives more reasons for replay. Maybe they took it a little too far into obscurity in some cases, but it's better than the alternative.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Simply Simon posted:

That can't be fully true, Patches showed up for me trap ready after I had already killed both giants (dunno about the bridges, but probably did pull the levers at some point). He even has extra flustered dialogue for that. Though for my friends he never showed up (anywhere!), and I think they found the path to Rosaria (aka the other side of the Patches bridge) way before I did, so that might be a problem.

Also, I don't know if Patches is supposed to end up in Firelink or wherever else, but for me he was stuck on the Rosaria bonfire side for the entire game. Didn't even expand his inventory to include the ring, but I'm gonna kill him anyway so whatever. Strange though.

Oh, just the bridge then. Anyway it's stupid as hell to have quests not complete unless you do things in a specific order. I actively tried to get the cutscene a couple times and couldn't get it to trigger, you're right that going to Rosaria at all might block it too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

The same thing with Greirat in Irithyll- the game punishes you for exploring fully and finding the jail bonfire before Siegward or Pontiff.

You don't need to reload the area after opening the doors to spawn Onion Patches. Also the shortcut you create by opening those doors should take you right past the well.

The NPC quests are obscure, but it really beats DS2, where you had to summon them for specific boss fights and not let them die. I remember a lot of angry posts about how stupid Lucatiel was.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Harrow posted:

I didn't like DS2's NPC quests at all. The ones you refer to aren't really quests--they're "talk to an NPC to get a new vendor in Majula." Then they sat there and did nothing for the rest of the game. Even the stone vendor, who is sitting right outside her father's workshop, barely acknowledges that that's her father, and vice versa. It's just so unsatisfying. The ones that are actual quests, like Lucatiel's, are a huge pain in the rear end because they revolve around summoning NPCs for bosses and making sure they survive in order to progress. If you're planning on soloing all the bosses on your first playthrough, like some people do, you're either going to have to not do that, or accept that you won't complete Lucatiel's or Benhart's quests, which kind of sucks.
I think "perfect" wasn't the perfect (:D) word to use from my end. I do prefer them however, at least for vendors that are actual vendors. The pure convoluted nonsense of the Miracle lady in DS3 makes no sense to me, and I'm glad I didn't gently caress it up completely by just not finding her and the dude after Iudex Gundyrs Bonfire until I looked up stuff following my first blind playthrough. How was I supposed to know that they ended up there? How would I have possibly guessed to NOT speak to her, go back to Firelink, but his Gauntlets and then touch her with them? Insanity. Also, Anri ended up for me on the hill over the first Cathedral Bonfire (not the one inside), also something I would never have figured out (is she ever even NEAR the Cathedral?), then I killed her and got...1000 Souls. How the gently caress is that a sensible endpoint?

Anyway, I'm really glad I didn't go into miracles.

For the Benhart/Lucatiel thing, I was kinda miffed that I had locked myself out of that completely in my first playthrough, but then again, I planned on getting all the poo poo anyway which necessitated NG++ because lol the Bluecops arena. Pretty straightforward in the end, though. If you find her in the hidden cave underneath Black Gulch :D.

I will also have to re-do Abyss Watchers legit because I summoned Sirris, thinking she'd be like Lucatiel when it's actually the opposite. Also fetched her for Deacon, but I don't think I missed much there.

quote:

I agree that DS3's are too obscure, though--or, maybe more specifically, I think they're too time-critical. It's too easy to progress the story too far and then miss out on quest triggers. That said, I love the couple of twists DS3 does on the "summon an NPC for a boss to advance their quest line" thing, because the couple times it happens, you're the one who gets summoned. That owns.

Okay, then there's Siegward, whose "help with a boss" moment is reminiscent of Biorr from Demon's Souls, but he's also helping you fight a gimmick boss, so it stings a bit less that you can't solo it if you want to properly finish Siegward's quest.

The only reason to go for a Luck build is bleed, in my opinion. You can infuse most weapons with innate bleed, just don't infuse them with the Blood infusion (even though it seems like you should)--it doesn't help with bleed build-up that much and nukes the base damage. Go Hollow, or go for a 40/40 Dex/Luck build and go Sharp. Anri's is the one thing that ends up with really great base damage on a pure Luck build, and can still build bleed very well with Carthus Rouge, so it's the other option.
I'll look into Bleed weapons, then. Maybe my first Dagger playthrough with the Bandit's Knife? I'll just put Hollow stones into a few things before transitioning to NG+, got a whole slew of Infusions and other poo poo to do anyway.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Fister Roboto posted:

You don't need to reload the area after opening the doors to spawn Onion Patches. Also the shortcut you create by opening those doors should take you right past the well.

If you say so. I've never seen him spawn after opening every door, avoiding killing both giants, and not raising any of the bridges. Siegward spawns after I open the doors at the top (across from the Rosaria bonfire), and those doors dump you up the stairs from the first grave warden, in which case you would head straight, down the ladder, and through the window to access the bonfire- doesn't go by the well unless you decide you actually want to run back through the puking zombies and the warden. You also have to make the decision that for some reason you want to run back to the bonfire in the first place.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I think "perfect" wasn't the perfect (:D) word to use from my end. I do prefer them however, at least for vendors that are actual vendors. The pure convoluted nonsense of the Miracle lady in DS3 makes no sense to me, and I'm glad I didn't gently caress it up completely by just not finding her and the dude after Iudex Gundyrs Bonfire until I looked up stuff following my first blind playthrough. How was I supposed to know that they ended up there? How would I have possibly guessed to NOT speak to her, go back to Firelink, but his Gauntlets and then touch her with them? Insanity. Also, Anri ended up for me on the hill over the first Cathedral Bonfire (not the one inside), also something I would never have figured out (is she ever even NEAR the Cathedral?), then I killed her and got...1000 Souls. How the gently caress is that a sensible endpoint?

DS3's quests did swing too far into being obscure and time-sensitive for sure.

I mean, I get that these games are explicitly designed to be impossible to 100% on your own. They're intended to require community cooperation to figure everything out. But some of the triggers are so obscure--or maybe just so bugged--that people just can't seem to figure things out with any sort of consistency, which gets frustrating.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I've been stuck on the princes right for about a week now and it's starting to discourage me!!!!!!!

Arghhhh!!!!!!!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

I've been stuck on the princes right for about a week now and it's starting to discourage me!!!!!!!

Arghhhh!!!!!!!
Any specific problems? I've farmed my Sunlight Medals for the entire day today with them so I feel capable of giving you some advice.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

If you say so. I've never seen him spawn after opening every door, avoiding killing both giants, and not raising any of the bridges. Siegward spawns after I open the doors at the top (across from the Rosaria bonfire), and those doors dump you up the stairs from the first grave warden, in which case you would head straight, down the ladder, and through the window to access the bonfire- doesn't go by the well unless you decide you actually want to run back through the puking zombies and the warden. You also have to make the decision that for some reason you want to run back to the bonfire in the first place.

I meant it leads you past the well on the way out from the bonfire, presumably after dying to Patches's trap.

The main problem with this though is that you need to have already made it past both of the giants to unlock this shortcut.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bass Bottles posted:

Arghhhh!!!!!!!

They're chumps with summons if you want to break down.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Simply Simon posted:

Any specific problems? I've farmed my Sunlight Medals for the entire day today with them so I feel capable of giving you some advice.

Dodging the magic bullets in phase two I guess?

I also frequently can't find him in phase one when he charges up for his hadouken. They really screwed me up with all the changes they made to lock-on in this game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

I also frequently can't find him in phase one when he charges up for his hadouken. They really screwed me up with all the changes they made to lock-on in this game.

If you can't see him he's obviously right behind you, so just dodge to the left or right.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

Dodging the magic bullets in phase two I guess?

Dodging the magic bullets is relatively simple: run behind the pillars to avoid them, watching out for teleports from behind as you do.

For Sacred Lothric Light, it's really just a matter of panning your camera quickly to find him and then timing your dodge properly. You have a bit more time to dodge through the further you are from him. If you can make it in time, it's also relatively easy to just run up close to Lothric and dodge through it that way, but be aware that he has no recovery frames and will attack almost immediately after finishing the cast.

If you're getting chipped down in phase 1, equip either the Dragon Crest Shield or the Black Knight Shield (if you can get one) with upgraded stability and use that to block the sword swipes.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I've never played a Dark Souls game, but watched Day 9 play this and it looks great. Is there a proper tutorial in this game such that I won't be too hosed for not playing I or II?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I never tire of these nooblets that run in packs of 3 and try to taunt you when they eventually manage to kill you when you invade

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Good info on the past/present firelink stuff. it makes sense if they are the first firekeepers eyes. This still doesn't explain why you're finding the items for your current firelink dudes there. It's baffling me!

Any idea what happened to Seatg, Nicole, etc?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
On my Anri's Straight Sword build I don't use a Hollow offhand, I use a Simple infused Silver Eagle Kite Shield so I can both keep Oath of Sunlight up and use the awesome Stance weapon skill all the time.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Blakkout posted:

I've never played a Dark Souls game, but watched Day 9 play this and it looks great. Is there a proper tutorial in this game such that I won't be too hosed for not playing I or II?

The tutorial is literally "Press R1 to attack" *you die* *you die again* *you kill a guy* oh hey I did i-- *dog out of nowhere. you die*

That said, it's awesome you should play it :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Blakkout posted:

Yes, the first level has messages on the ground. Read them all.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Simply Simon posted:

Did you try getting on the elevator in Firelink Tower? That should shift him over into Firelink proper.

e: You'll hear a door close when you reach the top

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Harrow posted:

The ones that are actual quests, like Lucatiel's, are a huge pain in the rear end because they revolve around summoning NPCs for bosses and making sure they survive in order to progress. If you're planning on soloing all the bosses on your first playthrough, like some people do, you're either going to have to not do that, or accept that you won't complete Lucatiel's or Benhart's quests, which kind of sucks.
To be fair, you could very easily just use bonfire ascetics to respawn a boss three(?) times and finish their questlines that way. The DLC's added a few additional opportunities as well, I believe. Still, I agree that it was a bit dumb, especially before they patched their HP way up.

turtlecrunch posted:

Oh, just the bridge then. Anyway it's stupid as hell to have quests not complete unless you do things in a specific order. I actively tried to get the cutscene a couple times and couldn't get it to trigger, you're right that going to Rosaria at all might block it too.
Patches always seems to spawn in Firelink for me, even without triggering his event in the cathedral. Have you tried going up the elevator in the locked tower with the Firekeeper soul?

e:fb

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Blakkout posted:

Dark Souls isn't really a "proper tutorial" kind of series. You'll be fine jumping right in without having played the other games, though. You just won't get much out of the fanservice references to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Exodee posted:

To be fair, you could very easily just use bonfire ascetics to respawn a boss three(?) times and finish their questlines that way. The DLC's added a few additional opportunities as well, I believe. Still, I agree that it was a bit dumb, especially before they patched their HP way up.

Patches always seems to spawn in Firelink for me, even without triggering his event in the cathedral. Have you tried going up the elevator in the locked tower with the Firekeeper soul?

e:fb

I don't have trouble getting Patches to spawn in FL after the DOTD are dead, it's only the COTD scene that is hard.