Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

I was told I will have to crossrate in order to go SELRES after my current active term, so naturally I came rushing to the Navy thread to gather goon opinions. Of the list of possible rates I was given, the only ones I'm considering are EM, OS, and YN.

My goal is to finish my BS in EE and/or CE during my 3 years in SELRES, at which point I plan to separate completely. Ideally I'd like whichever rate I take on to have a decent quality of life in addition to providing experience relevant to my chosen degree and my future job prospects with what may well be one of the defense contractors in my state (AZ). I realize that YN is probably the most skate in addition to not really furthering my career intentions.

Thoughts?

e: Option B - saying fuckit to the reserves and just working more hours / buying my own health insurance while going to school

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
If you're trying to earn a degree in EE, why don't you want to be an EM?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

I'm not saying I don't, I just have no real knowledge of what those rates entail other than what I'm reading about them on Wikipedia. CCC said it was EM (OTH) which he did not really elaborate on during the brief phone call we had. What's the OTH?

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 2, 2016

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Well don't go OS. Going to sea to do a pretty worthless job. I worked with them for about 2 years and they seem a miserable lot (12hr shifts staring at 50s era scopes).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gray Matter posted:

I'm not saying I don't, I just have no real knowledge of what those rates entail other than what I'm reading about them on Wikipedia.

OS reservist will give you lots of time to study for college, because you will do precisely dick (You get activated to go work a tower at a military airfield or w/e for a week). I'm trying to crossrate into OS when I go selres too. They don't send the reservists to sea mostly because they'd rather have people who work with those lovely 50s era scopes be active duty rather than some poor bastard who's there for two weeks and skating hard.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 2, 2016

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Oh poo poo I saw OS and completely missed the reserves thing. Disregard.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Blackchamber posted:

Oh poo poo I saw OS and completely missed the reserves thing. Disregard.

The EM A school I went to would give you a conceptual leg up for your degree, but I'm not sure how significant it would be. I perused some college level EE coursework after I got out and found it to be thoroughly over my head. If I were you I'd aim for whichever rate involves the least headaches so I vote YN

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Do you want to be able to write yourself an award for using a copy machine, and actually get it? Go YN.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Day One of AT
Sat around a lot. Was shown a room filled with crap they need organized. Sent to lunch early. Told they would get 29 days orders if I didn't mind sorting junk.

I think I like this.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

LingcodKilla posted:

Day One of AT
Sat around a lot. Was shown a room filled with crap they need organized. Sent to lunch early. Told they would get 29 days orders if I didn't mind sorting junk.

I think I like this.

Please continue with trip reports, or even make your own thread. Everyone needs to know why the reserves is the best/worst thing ever.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Gray Matter posted:

I'm not saying I don't, I just have no real knowledge of what those rates entail other than what I'm reading about them on Wikipedia. CCC said it was EM (OTH) which he did not really elaborate on during the brief phone call we had. What's the OTH?

EM (OTH) is just plain old EM. They use that code to differentiate them from Nukes. That said, if it kind of aligns with your degree plan and eventual career, I'd say go for it. You may be able to earn some qualifications, and at the very least it'll pad out your eventual resume with something relevant. "Electrician's Mate" is a lot easier for employers to understand than "Yeoman".

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I doubt you'll accrue enough maintenance hours to qualify for the DOL Journeyman Apprentice electrician program the navy has, but you can atleast get it started. I don't really know what kind of work a EE degree qualifies you for or whether anything like that would even be applicable. I can't even think of what a reservist electrician would do considering our thing was constant emergent and preventative maintenance and electrical isolations.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Goddamn you gents played the mahu thing perfectly. I'm laughing so loving hard at work right now.

Also, reserves question; as long as I fulfill my drill requirements and annual AT its a good year right? NOSC San Diego is bitching because I don't take a hit to my paychecks once a quarter to drill there with them, because for some stupid rear end reason I've yet to fathom they "own" my LCS billet. I don't even push orders through them, any AT/EAT/IDTT requests go straight through LCSRON.

I'm tempted to say gently caress it, because while my job support my military just fine, my wallet doesn't like the hit it takes from losing days at work with little reason.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Day One of AT

I think I like this.

Per Diem yourself into a drunken stupor for a month. Do it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

I just ate like a pound of ahi poke and started in on a bottle of tanq. Life is good.

Also the basement coachroaches are no joke. I can't even figure out what they are eating down there to get so big. Thinking about setting traps to catch a bunch and see if I can make them fight.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I just ate like a pound of ahi poke and started in on a bottle of tanq. Life is good.

Also the basement coachroaches are no joke. I can't even figure out what they are eating down there to get so big. Thinking about setting traps to catch a bunch and see if I can make them fight.

The joys of being junior enlisted on TDY and per diem.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Laranzu posted:

A month should be sufficient for him to finish his quest for the best mahu in Hawaii.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Sea duty in Bahrain: When the hours spent per week not sleeping or working number in the single digits, and leave is prohibited due to operational commitment.

Any other Bahrain goons here?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I get to drive to Milwaukee next week for my disability claim physical, wahoo. I'm sure that will be great. Does anyone know n if this is a real physical or is it like my check out physical was where some 05 looks at a piece of paper, signs it, and sends me on my way.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

PneumonicBook posted:

I get to drive to Milwaukee next week for my disability claim physical, wahoo. I'm sure that will be great. Does anyone know n if this is a real physical or is it like my check out physical was where some 05 looks at a piece of paper, signs it, and sends me on my way.

depends on what you're claiming. It's a real exam though. For my hearing loss claim I just did a regular hearing test, for back stuff I talked to a ostatrician or something about the pain and did some stretches while he used some weird caliper thing to measure my range of motion for bending and stuff

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

PneumonicBook posted:

You should get reimbursed for the travel. I think the place you go to should give you a check on your way out. Make sure you have all your paperwork and your appointment papers etc

It's an actual physical exam but as said depends on what you're claiming. Musculoskeletal stuff they'll assess, measure stuff with calipers (like for low back pain have you touch your toes until you feel pain then measure the distance) and feel around.

So yeah it's a real physical focused around what you're claiming with pertinent questions. Something like tinnitus you'll go to an audiologist and have some tests done.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

. Thinking about setting traps to catch a bunch and see if I can make them fight.

They loving fly dude. Everybody's a tough guy til one of those fuckers flies right for your mouth then you'll be screaming like a little bitch. Not joking even a little bit.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ron Jeremy posted:

They loving fly dude. Everybody's a tough guy til one of those fuckers flies right for your mouth then you'll be screaming like a little bitch. Not joking even a little bit.

I once came back from a month-long underway only to find that my roommate, who left a week after I did, left a sink full of dirty dishes.

On the 21st floor of a tower downtown we had some big loving roaches all over the place and I lost my poo poo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah they would be pretty gross on your face but they give a very satisfactory squishing sound when you bash them.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Took my daughter to a free USO sponsored :rock: :megadeath: :rock: concert tonight in Norfolk. It was fuckin tiiiiiight.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DustyNuts posted:

Took my daughter to a free USO sponsored :rock: :megadeath: :rock: concert tonight in Norfolk. It was fuckin tiiiiiight.

Man I loved them rust in peace era. Sounds great!

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Welp thanks for the inputs, I ended up putting in CWAY for EM today. I figure even if it ends up sucking, it's only 2 days a month right? And is probably the best thing on paper to go with my EE degree.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Gray Matter posted:

Welp thanks for the inputs, I ended up putting in CWAY for EM today. I figure even if it ends up sucking, it's only 2 days a month right? And is probably the best thing on paper to go with my EE degree.

eh you'll be a reserrvist, so it won't be like being in Engineering on the boat, should be just as chill as any other rate in the reserves

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I am now medically cleared to get out, but I have no loving idea what I am doing on the administrative side. :madmax:

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Gray Matter posted:

Designated lightbulb changer.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Gray Matter posted:

Used to be an EM before I went officer after getting my EE degree. Having prior EM experience didn't mean poo poo as far as getting my degree. The stuff you're exposed to as an EM is 0.0001% of what's covered for undergard EE.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Pretty sure he's not talking about using EM experience to help with getting a degree, he's talking about having EM on a resume along with his EE degree. Because electricity.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DustyNuts posted:

I stuck out because I was the only one there without a jean jacket.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Don't forget midterms are due.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I don't really read this thread much anymore since I am a civilian but here I am somehow.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The EM A school I went to would give you a conceptual leg up for your degree, but I'm not sure how significant it would be. I perused some college level EE coursework after I got out and found it to be thoroughly over my head. If I were you I'd aim for whichever rate involves the least headaches so I vote YN

Ehhh.. It would give you a leg up on the first semester maybe. The real benefit would be after graduation in your first job. You'll have a better idea of what your techs are doing in industry and when they're sandbagging your work orders for them to build something for you. That's about it. EE is mainly majoring in math with the occasional discussion of schematics. I was a nuke EM that taught at C school and I found that even nuke EM instructor knowledge didn't carry me much further than the first semester of analog circuit analysis.

PneumonicBook posted:

Has anyone worked with Thomas Edison State College (now University)? I'm about a year out from getting an IT degree from Western Governor's University, but that degree was selected years ago when I just assumed I'd transition to IT. Instead in my current government position to move up I need an ABET certified Engineering degree. TESC has one, and I know they're extremely generous as far as transferring credits goes. Looking at their Electrical Engineering program I think I'd be even closer to completing my Bachelor's than I am now, with the plus of it actually mattering in my career field.

Avoid this school as it will not get you to where you stated you want to get to.

They do not have an electrical engineering program. They have an electrical engineering technology program. The two are completely different degrees for completely different fields.

EET prepares you to be a technician with zero emphasis on engineering. EE prepares you to be an engineer with an extremely heavy emphasis on mathematics and design.

An EET degree usually will not count as an engineering degree for the large majority of positions. Technologists (the term for EET grads) are not allowed to be titled as an engineer where I work.
EET degrees are hands on training programs for techs ... but this is an online program... so there's no hands on part.

What's the point? I have no idea.

If you or anyone else have questions about college, EE, MechE, or AeroE, send me a PM.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
More of my sailors are getting told they can't convert to CTN without a "degree in Computer Science". Is anyone else hearing this from that crusted rear end CTNCM? No other disqualifying factors on them, this is the general answer being given out by the community manager to the CTIs I'm working with.

I'm going to call tomorrow and ask him if we have the loving number for OCS on accident. They take seventeen year olds for this poo poo, I shouldn't have to defend sailors that already have work experience.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Analogical posted:

I'm going to call tomorrow and ask him if we have the loving number for OCS on accident. They take seventeen year olds for this poo poo, I shouldn't have to defend sailors that already have work experience.

Please record.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Analogical posted:

More of my sailors are getting told they can't convert to CTN without a "degree in Computer Science". Is anyone else hearing this from that crusted rear end CTNCM? No other disqualifying factors on them, this is the general answer being given out by the community manager to the CTIs I'm working with.

well you know what they say about the navy....

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kawasaki Nun posted:

well you know what they say about the navy....

The women are mighty fine? They look like Phyllis Diller and walk like Frankenstein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Analogical posted:

Lmao please tell us what happens

• Locked thread