Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Let me present you with the greatest newspaper cover image ever:

That donkey is so happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Munkeymon posted:

Noting racism in other people makes me the true racist? Welp, that's an unassailable argument. I concede.

just assuming off the cuff that small town people are 100% racist is pretty bigoted, yes. bigots often have a hard time recognizing this behavior in themselves, especially when they start making blanket declarations against "those people"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

zoux posted:

Stop trying to paint him as a ridiculous extremist. He just wants to sterilize them and take their existing children and put them in reeducation facilities.

Well at least they'll get exposure to gay people there since gay man can't be trusted to remain ideologically pure now that we have marriage.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

rkajdi posted:

Because being rural is a protected class like being a native American. Oh wait...

Seriously, unless we do something, we're just going to continue to fight the culture war into the future. I don't want some kid consigned to permanent loserdom by not winning life's lottery and being born in the backwoods. But obviously teaching kids that races aren't physically real things and that LGBT people deserve equal treatment is just oppression, instead of making sure we don't have to fight against a bunch of spiteful regressive backwater people yet again.

It physically hurts me to respond to such stupidity but still...

You do realize that the goal of educating bigotry out of folks A.) won't work since kids typically attain their cultural moors from their parents, the media, and other kids and B.) such a practice could easily be turned around on you depending on who is in power - see: Texas control over various curricula and the teaching of various forms of historically-inaccurate-think.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Paradoxish posted:

This thread is honestly really uncomfortable to read anytime the topic veers into rural white issues.

Yeah it really is a rather disturbing the amount of punching down going on here. Rural poverty is the highest in the nation yet this thread at every opportunity enjoys punching down on those poor people.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

if it's a legitimate vape the body has a way of shutting it down

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah it really is a rather disturbing the amount of punching down going on here. Rural poverty is the highest in the nation yet this thread at every opportunity enjoys punching down on those poor people.

Well they probably all hate gays and minorities so that's okay.* Now let me tell you about how horrible it is that conservatives paint Muslims with the same brush.

*citation needed

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

in the case of the nebraskan chicken plant, poverty and unemployment aren't that bad in the local area. really it's about a small town rejecting a mammoth industrial expansion in their village, permanently altering the town's status quo, which normally people would applaud a democratic rejection of corporate excess except in this case we're pretending all the rural people are racist as hell so that we can collectively feel superior to strawman hicks

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

"ugh, those filthy rural whites need to stop being so xenophobic and bigoted all of the time, and the only way to do this is by eradicating their degenerate culture" -unironically stated itt

My native, rural culture is degenerate. Confederacy worship, white supremacy, taking pride in homophobia and misogyny, and an almost masterbatory level of anti-intellectualism make it toxic to everyone involved. Erasing these aspects of it, while keeping those few that don't involve the above, would be a net good for the world.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is wrongthink child abuse?

Depends on the wrongthink. "I get to abuse the gay out of my kid", "I want to homeschool them into permanent underclassdom", and "My useless religion wants to deny them medical care" are all abuse. Sorry, your kid is a future member of society, not some extension of the parents. I want kids who are more competent and educated than my generation was.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

My native, rural culture is degenerate. Confederacy worship, white supremacy, taking pride in homophobia and misogyny, and an almost masterbatory level of anti-intellectualism make it toxic to everyone involved. Erasing these aspects of it, while keeping those few that don't involve the above, would be a net good for the world.

im sorry you hate your childhood but you dont need to make it everyone else's problem thanks

i grew up in the rural south also and i can confidently say that less than 100% of the people were racist. shocking, i know

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Edit- IMO Thug Drink is right on this one. There was like two really racist assholes who were sensationalized in early articles about this particular town and people have been slow to catch on that they were clickbaited.

Crowsbeak posted:

Although there are real, important issues - rural voters, as a group, consistently vote to gently caress themselves over just so they can gently caress someone else over which gets p god drat tiresome.

I spent more of my twenties than I want to think about arguing with farmers about politics.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 5, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cugel the Clever posted:

Mega-City One is a model to which we must aspire.

That is where we are going, like it or not.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

You don't see anyone worshipping Pilate anywhere, do you

As long as he's team R, they'll move the goal posts to justify it.

Also timeline of GOP's descent into madness.

2009: Obama's bad because he's a ni- a freshman senator with little experience. A fancy pant ivory tower lawyer and community organizer? Not goon enough. MCain: A "maravick" with experience.

2012: A governor with experience and a businessman.(Also black token #2 was a (pizza) businessman)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

in the case of the nebraskan chicken plant, poverty and unemployment aren't that bad in the local area. really it's about a small town rejecting a mammoth industrial expansion in their village, permanently altering the town's status quo, which normally people would applaud a democratic rejection of corporate excess except in this case we're pretending all the rural people are racist as hell so that we can collectively feel superior to strawman hicks

Yep, just what I'm talking about. Also considering that plant was expecting to be given welfare while paying no property taxes I would say the locals had every reason to be skeptical.

Well they probably all hate gays and minorities so that's okay.* Now let me tell you about how horrible it is that conservatives paint Muslims with the same brush.

*citation needed

Hey I have relatives in rural Michigan, the worse I can say is the older ones are a bit paranoid about muslims. But overall they are great, also their great to my sisters Phillipino fiancee and his family. I can't live in small towns but thats because I need my museums and theater.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rkajdi posted:

Depends on the wrongthink. "I get to abuse the gay out of my kid", "I want to homeschool them into permanent underclassdom", and "My useless religion wants to deny them medical care" are all abuse. Sorry, your kid is a future member of society, not some extension of the parents. I want kids who are more competent and educated than my generation was.

Well that first and last one is abusive by actual abusive standards. That second one is a harder sell because, ya know, that's not actually true.

Also no, my dude, kids don't belong to the state or whatever. Like, you're acting like how internet libertarians think progressives are or whatever, you don't get to make a child government goods because of ~the greater good of society~ (as defined by the current administration god help you if anyone regressive ever wins but that won't happen because we live in a just and good world right?)

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

But a lot of them are white so

RACIST FUCKS THAT DESERVE DEATH

I mean, Talmonis wants to burn it all down, why do you have to rain on his parade?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
On the other hand, where I live rural implies a 'live and let live, you mind your business and I'll mind mine' mentality, which is actually quite pleasant. The trouble is that a lot of these places have no real need to exist in the modern era so there's a slow overall degradation (accelerated by the financial crisis, which really sucked.) Also rising opiate abuse. But I think there is a real value to preserving the space for a rural lifestyle if it's something that can be supported well by other local places (I'm happy to pay extra for a product or service that supports these people.)

At the same time, Obama was right with his clinging to guns and religion quip, but you're not going to change those attitudes by spitting on them.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 5, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

It's those drat religious rural poors ruining this country, and certainly not ultra rich people who just don't want to pay taxes!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

just assuming off the cuff that small town people are 100% racist is pretty bigoted, yes.

I was only assuming a majority of adults. Now who's the bigot :smuggo:

quote:

bigots often have a hard time recognizing this behavior in themselves, especially when they start making blanket declarations against "those people"

Wait, so it's OK as long as they don't know they're racists? poo poo, too bad I already conceded to being The Real Racist Here!

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

rkajdi posted:

So should we beat the poors to make them rightthink or do we steal their children? I'm so glad the left is all in favor of physically enforced mind control! I too love Warhammer 40k

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well at least they'll get exposure to gay people there since gay man can't be trusted to remain ideologically pure now that we have marriage.

That may actually be true though...

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
god you gusy are gay and stupid. what happened to the election forum

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

im sorry you hate your childhood but you dont need to make it everyone else's problem thanks

i grew up in the rural south also and i can confidently say that less than 100% of the people were racist. shocking, i know

No man when I graduated high school in the south I was given klan robes and the mind implant that makes me want to beat up gay people. It's real awkward at times when I start kicking my own rear end but hey that's the price of living in Bad America that a bunch of totally progressive people wish would just blow up and take all those stupid dirty poors with it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Munkeymon posted:

Wait, so it's OK as long as they don't know they're racists? poo poo, too bad I already conceded to being The Real Racist Here!

yes i'm sure that an anonymous person yelling at them on the internet that they're racist will really open their eyes and isn't just an impotent attempt at catharsis on your part

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Let me present you with the greatest newspaper cover image ever:

That donkey is so happy

he's getting hosed in the rear end

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Those aren't disconnected. The fear that immigrants are taking your job is inherently racist.

No, no it isn't. It can be but it certainly isn't inherent. Immigration policies have been a labor issue for a long, long time with employees wanting to open the floodgates to break unions and decrease labor costs and the employees getting upset.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Noam Chomsky posted:

You do realize that the goal of educating bigotry out of folks A.) won't work since kids typically attain their cultural moors from their parents, the media, and other kids and B.) such a practice could easily be turned around on you depending on who is in power - see: Texas control over various curricula and the teaching of various forms of historically-inaccurate-think.

So we should just continue to let kids who are stuck in the backwoods get awful educations, and then get turned into the kinds of garbage that's been voting in the GOP primaries?

I'm not saying steal people's kids. I'm say actually educate them, up to and including telling them their parents are loving up their lives with the garbage they are putting into their brains. You get them for five days a week, the parents get them maybe for two. I can't see how you don't win this one.

I get that this could be used in the opposite way if idiots gain control of the system, but that was the case no matter what was done. Hell, that sounds more like some sort of libertarian small government idiocy than anything. Or are we now back to the point where forcing schools to teach evolution instead of whatever creationism stand-in is en vogue this week is cultural genocide?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

The Republican party is everyone's problem, and as Trump shows us, it's powered solely by white rage.

And yet, you are an outlier at best. A pariah in the community if you're vocal about your humanism or secularity.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

quote:

House Speaker Tim Moore said Thursday that legislators won’t meet the U.S. Department of Justice’s Monday deadline to repeal or stop enforcing House Bill 2.

“We will take no action by Monday,” Moore told reporters Thursday. “That deadline will come and go. We don’t ever want to lose any money, but we’re not going to get bullied by the Obama administration to take action prior to Monday’s date. That’s not how this works.”

Moore said state leaders are still trying to determine their next steps. “Right now we’re talking with our attorneys to see what our options are,” he said. “We’re going to move at the speed that we’re going to move at to look at what our options are.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article75797342.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article75797342.html

https://twitter.com/newsobserver/status/728255043745501184

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Torpor posted:

No, no it isn't. It can be but it certainly isn't inherent. Immigration policies have been a labor issue for a long, long time with employees wanting to open the floodgates to break unions and decrease labor costs and the employees getting upset.

It is inherently based on racism. Get this, Big Labor was hella racist.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Those aren't disconnected. The fear that immigrants are taking your job is inherently racist. about economic fears
ftfy

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
donald trump sis going to be president

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

And yet, you are an outlier at best. A pariah in the community if you're vocal about your humanism or secularity.

i like to think of it as learning how to assert myself without being a contentious rear end in a top hat v:shobon:v

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rkajdi posted:

So we should just continue to let kids who are stuck in the backwoods get awful educations, and then get turned into the kinds of garbage that's been voting in the GOP primaries?

I'm not saying steal people's kids. I'm say actually educate them, up to and including telling them their parents are loving up their lives with the garbage they are putting into their brains. You get them for five days a week, the parents get them maybe for two. I can't see how you don't win this one.

I get that this could be used in the opposite way if idiots gain control of the system, but that was the case no matter what was done. Hell, that sounds more like some sort of libertarian small government idiocy than anything. Or are we now back to the point where forcing schools to teach evolution instead of whatever creationism stand-in is en vogue this week is cultural genocide?

Yes, dude, we continue to 'let' people have opinions, even bad ones. You loving fascist.

Like for example, as someone who's had family who got hosed up by the whole 'you have chosen Wrong Opinions you must be punished by the state' thing back in eastern europe, I find your views despicable and I think they indicate a genuine major moral failing within your heart of hearts. That said, you are allowed to have them, you're allowed to make your stupid future kids as fascist and backwards as you are too if you want, and my solution to that would be, say, educating them on stuff like, I dunno, Communist Romania and poo poo, so they can see 'oh, maybe dad's a wrong rear end in a top hat' for themselves rather than just banging my dick on the desk shouting "YOU ARE BIGOTS AND YOUR FATHER IS A FUCKFACE COME TO MY SIDE OF CORRECT THOUGHT OR FACE PUNISHMENT"

Because, ya know, that doesn't work.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Torpor posted:

the more productive liberal angle to take is "large factories often outsource industrial pollution to rural communities and communities of color which have less resources to fight in court"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

yes i'm sure that an anonymous person yelling at them on the internet that they're racist will really open their eyes and isn't just an impotent attempt at catharsis on your part

Agreed! Good thing all I did is point out that someone on the internet was willfully ignoring blatant racism.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

rkajdi posted:

Yes. Yes we do because that's what living in a democratic society means you loving fascist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rkajdi posted:

It's dat Horseshoe Theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Like, I really can't express clear enough how unironic and real my disgust is for someone saying 'so what, we just LET this keep happening, people having VIEWS I DISLIKE?!' as if that's supposed to make the reader clutch their pearls and wonder what is to be done with these monsters that we allow to exist for some reason. It's maybe one of the worst things I've read in these forums that were presented as genuine views that someone is shocked no one else agrees on.

• Locked thread