Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

McGavin posted:

CanPol Megathread: Flames 1, Oilers 0

If you have not previously considered a career in politics, now you should. You should also get tested for Aids, the two are correlated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

This woman's grasp of how the government works is so hilariously tenuous that she really is the perfect fit for the Green party.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I don't if I should defend May or not because the NDP not being leftist anymore made me a Green party supporter almost against my own will. :ohdear:

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Morroque posted:

I don't if I should defend May or not because the NDP not being leftist anymore made me a Green party supporter almost against my own will. :ohdear:
I would think any sane person can resist the poo poo song siren of anti-nuclear, anti-GMO, antivax imbeciles.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Playstation 4 posted:

I would think any sane person can resist the poo poo song siren of anti-nuclear, anti-GMO, antivax imbeciles.

In my own defense, I did not go willingly.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Morroque posted:

The Green Party is not a leftist party. It's a crazy-person party.

e: and yeah i know the two are not mutually exclusive

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The biggest deception is that the Green Party is the environmentalist party when they're not significantly different than what the NDP and Liberals say on those matters

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hal_2005 posted:

If you have not previously considered a career in politics, now you should. You should also get tested for Aids, the two are correlated.

:bravo:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

Eligible amount of gift for tax purposes: $200.00

Your donation: Alberta Fires Appeal

:qq: but think about the dogs

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Today in Ontario politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvTcBZnl9Rc

Reevely: Bob Chiarelli denies he said Andrea Horwath 'pees all over the map'

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
According to the front page of the metro, the wildfires are somehow a national catastrophe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This fire was probably caused by some dipshit throwing a cigarette butt out of his f350.
In an ironic twist, the lack of production going on in Fort mac actually caused oil prices to rise nearly $1.50 a barrel.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fort-mcmurray-federal-response-red-cross-1.3567828

UPDATED
:siren: Justin Trudeau says Ottawa will match [individual] Red Cross donations for Fort McMurray wildfire :siren:

"Today, I'm pleased to announce that in addition to the government of Canada providing future assistance... the government will also be matching individual charitable donations made to the Canadian Red Cross in support of disaster relief," said Trudeau, who was drowned out by applause from MPs across party lines.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/dnrs/svngs/clmng1b3-eng.html

When you guys are done masturbating the latest topic change you may opt to donate some cash.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

But didn't you hear, all charities are garbage

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

jm20 posted:

You really are a hosed up dude.

Too bad Alberta didn't invest in blueberry fields. At least they'd get something out of this.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

This fire was probably caused by some dipshit throwing a cigarette butt out of his f350.
In an ironic twist, the lack of production going on in Fort mac actually caused oil prices to rise nearly $1.50 a barrel.

I was reading it apparently started with a fire in a trailer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Obviously a liberal/ndp plot if some of the radio interviews I've heard are to go by

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
:siren: Notley matching, Trudeau Matching :siren:

https://donate.redcross.ca/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1951&ea.campaign.id=50610&_ga=1.148790839.1210328616.1462457289

Donate to the Alberta Fires Appeal <-- important

Stretch Marx posted:

You really are a hosed up dude.

Too bad Alberta didn't invest in blueberry fields. At least they'd get something out of this.

Match your platitudes of empathy with something other than prayers and words of goodwill. Think of the dogs.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It really doesn't matter now

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
mikedoug2345 2 hours ago
Shame on the sick, immoral enviro-terrorists on the ultra-extreme-left for trying to tie this tragedy to Ordinary Canadians on their Global Warming Scam.

Shameful.

Well, I'm convinced.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Alberta didn't want to contribute to the country so why should anyone outside of the province give a gently caress?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

mikedoug2345 2 hours ago
Shame on the sick, immoral enviro-terrorists on the ultra-extreme-left for trying to tie this tragedy to Ordinary Canadians on their Global Warming Scam.

Shameful.

Well, I'm convinced.

ultra-extreme-left

:ohdear:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

cowofwar posted:

Alberta didn't want to contribute to the country so why should anyone outside of the province give a gently caress?

This is a p bad attitude to take, leave partisanship aside and have some compassion for Canadians.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

jm20 posted:

Match your platitudes of empathy with something other than prayers and words of goodwill. Think of the dogs.

The fact you can't comprehend how people can be both upset for human loss and the death of animals in a tragic way says a lot about you. Like there's something desperately wrong with the hamster wheels turning in your head.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

jm20 posted:

This is a p bad attitude to take, leave partisanship aside and have some compassion for Canadians.
Alberta has a long, established history of FYGM. Disasters are the purview of its provincial government and the rampant Trudeau-blaming shows that its people are just as selfish FYGM as ever. gently caress their burnt company town houses.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
That's sad. If the Red Cross only has donations of example $100000.00 the government match so now there's $200000.00 this is only a example I'm no expert. From what I see millions and millions are needed to possible rebuild or relocate these people the impact needed as well to help deal with this devastation is Hugh Nono Justin. You need to do better that's Canadian land Canadian people you should be on the dam ground running beside the Red Cross !!!!!!!!

jm20 posted:

I'm sorry it's outside your spectrum to simultaneously have sympathy for both humans and tiny animals

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I'm tired of the conservatives on my feed blaming Notley and Trudeau for the fire. They honestly think they could have done something to prevent the fire from reaching the city.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

cowofwar posted:

Alberta has a long, established history of FYGM. Disasters are the purview of its provincial government and the rampant Trudeau-blaming shows that its people are just as selfish FYGM as ever. gently caress their burnt company town houses.

Alberta isn't a person or a single entity and when groups you don't agree with use this type of thinking to dehumanize others, I'm sure you rightly call that out.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

cowofwar posted:

How will they rebuild their truck equity if you don't donate? :qq:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

McGavin posted:

How will they rebuild their truck equity if you don't donate? :qq:

Just make sure they don't take no government handouts. Can't let them stoop that low.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

cowofwar posted:

Granted that town directly supported the creation of mordor itself, but you should at least care that many if not all will lose basically everything as a result of this. There is middle ground where you can both hate the oilsands development but still care for the people impacted here. And just because they don't agree with your political spectrum doesn't mean you should turn your back on them.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

cowofwar posted:

aha it must suck being such a miserable gently caress like you, maybe if they were one of your wow guild members you would have empathy for them

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Never change, canpoli thread.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Just make sure they don't take no government handouts. Can't let them stoop that low.

I'm sure they can just pull themselves up by their bootstraps. No need for government handouts.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So when Alberta gets revenues it's all theirs but if something bad happens they are entitled to free assistance?

That town exists for the benefit of the oil industry so if they want assistance take the money from the provincial heritage fund(lol).

If the federal government pays for it then that will be funds not in the budget which will cause deficit spending which Alberta detests. So they would probably most likely support privatized disaster assistance (if the disaster didn't happen to them), so they can pay out of pocket for disaster assistance and observe first hand how it will be prioritized to the rich while the poorest get none.

No one died so let then suffer a bit and hopefully learn some lessons.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Stretch Marx posted:

The fact you can't comprehend how people can be both upset for human loss and the death of animals in a tragic way says a lot about you. Like there's something desperately wrong with the hamster wheels turning in your head.

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm sorry it's outside your spectrum to simultaneously have sympathy for both humans and tiny animals

:qq:

quote:

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/is-there-hope-for-the-pets-of-fort-mcmurray/

Is there hope for the pets of Fort McMurray?

There are already plans to rescue pets that Fort McMurray evacuees had to leave behind, but experts say animals are also miraculously fire-smart

In the middle of the night five years ago, Scott Bradd fled a fire in his house and had to leave his 200-lb. mastiff, Daisy, behind. “I was calling her,” he says. “I took two steps back in, but it was an inferno.” Eleven hours later, while watching a bulldozer demolish the remains of the house, a dazed, drenched creature emerged from the ground. Bradd thought it was a ghost. Upon double-take, he cried “Daisy!” and jumped over the barricade, yelling at the demolishers to stop. “She crawled out of the rubble,” he says, “black as can be.”

Mastiff or otherwise, pets fare better in fires than would be expected. In Fort McMurray, many pet owners evacuated with their animals in tow, and horse owners even rode their steeds to safety. Firefighters say such dutifulness is typical. “We’ll go in [to a building] for a fire alarm, and there’ll be a massive exodus,” says Randy Bedford, a recently retired firefighter of 32 years in Toronto. “People are carrying their bunnies, their hamster cages, all in their arms. If they have lizards or snakes, I’m sure they’re coming down, too. We’re trying to get up the stairs; they’re coming down with a zoo.”

Pet owners in Fort McMurray who weren’t able to take their animals with them when they evacuated are pleading for help on social media, but they have good reason to hold onto hope. Not only has the Edmonton Humane Society set up a disaster relief fund for animals and announced itself “ready to perform rescue operations,” but animals also seem to be miraculously fire-aware. “You have to understand that pets are very smart,” says Alex Pavcek, deputy chief of the Lesser Slave Lake Fire Department. “It’s been proven that they manage to get out and find a home.”

Related: Want to help those fleeing Fort McMurray? Here’s how.

Cats, especially, tend to hide in closets or closed-in spaces, which can save them from flames. They stay low to the ground, where there is the most oxygen. “I’d say 75 per cent of them survive when we didn’t think they would,” says Bedford. During a secondary search after one fire, Bedford found a cat in a closet; paramedics gave it oxygen, and it survived. “A person would have perished in that situation,” he says. “Cats are resilient. The ‘nine lives’ is pretty much true.”

Meanwhile, dogs are a man’s best fire alarm, as they often wake up their owners because they smell smoke first. Dogs then commonly follow or lead their owners out of the house. In the 1800s, Dalmatians even aided fire departments by guiding horse-drawn carriages to the scene of the flames. “I’ve only had one fire where we had dogs dead,” says Bedford.

For pets left in burning structures, firefighters know how to help. Some fire departments now carry oxygen masks designed for animals, and others encourage people to put stickers on their doors notifying fire personnel that animals live in the house. When Bedford found a pitbull and her three puppies in a fire, he found himself following his teammate in doing mouth-to-snout CPR. “We’ve rescued birds, rats, cats,” he says. “If we see an animal, we generally grab it and take it out.” He once pulled three cats out of a burning building and nested them temporarily in the fire truck. Another time, he returned into a basement of a house to rescue a colony of beloved rats. “Once, a guy walked out of his house with a parrot cage,” adds Bedford. “He didn’t realize he lost the bird in the driveway, so we went and scooped it up for him.” The SPCA presented an award to one of Bedford’s teammates after he carried a guinea pig down a ladder.

Of course, firefighters don’t prioritize animals over humans. “I can’t risk the life of two firemen for a dog in an unknown place,” says Pavcek. “We have to assume the cat is going to do the best it can to get out. It’s risk over reward. Every firefighter will tell you the same thing. They’re going to do their best to save every living thing.” Bedford agrees. “They’re down the list on priorities,” he says. “Often it’s pitch-black. You could be stepping over a dog, be right beside a dog, a cat, and you wouldn’t know it. If there’s a child in there, we’re diligent. We get down on hands and knees and search.”

For the pets left behind, animal lovers themselves have a culture of mobilizing. Volunteers as far away as Saskatchewan are offering help for Fort McMurray, including volunteers at an animal welfare organization called the Pack Project. “They’re asking, ‘should I drive up to Fort McMurray and take a bunch of dog food?’ ” says Amy Vitkay, director of the Pack Project. When wildfires struck northern Saskatchewan last summer, Vitkay’s team delivered 50,000 lb. of kibble, along with doggie beds, collars and toys, to fire-affected communities in which many dogs were wild and packing together out of hunger. “Every province should have an evacuation plan for animals,” she says. “We’re expecting a really volatile fire season.” When pets do die in fires, a network of support groups have formed for grieving pet owners.

As for Bradd, he had to put Daisy down last summer due to hip issues, although she lived to age nine. After the fire, she had a fear of flames, especially when camping. “Prior to that, she would snuggle up to the fire and get all warm,” says Bradd. Yet, her burns healed, including one the size of a hockey puck between her shoulder blades. “The fur came back in, and you couldn’t even see it,” says Bradd. He is still astounded that she survived. “I don’t know how or why,” he says. “I guess it was the will to live.”

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The fact that many of these people losing their homes are garbage piss babies makes it easier to deal with the human tragedy of the whole thing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

McGavin posted:

I'm sure they can just pull themselves up by their bootstraps. No need for government handouts.

Surely all that oil money will buoy them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cowofwar posted:

Alberta...
...learn some lessons.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If only someone had polled Alberta for support of the federal government providing disaster assistance to remote first nations communities.