Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

E-Money posted:

You're saying that with 25/25 refined is gonna do more damage than fire on my +6 longsword? Thought you needed to have a certain base level of Str/Dex before the scaling beats the base damage boost of an elemental infusion. I'll give it a shot, i guess i have a million stones at this point (think i have all the infusions or am maybe one coal short at this point.) Just doing a boring sword and board on this one.

What Harrow said - a classic Dark Souls deception is looking at an elemental weapon's higher AR and being fooled into thinking it's superior, and being surprised when you go out in the world and find you're dealing less damage than before you infused. Nothing illustrates this better than the Dancer's Twinblades with a whopping 3 elemental split between physical, fire, and dark that has to contend with those three defenses individually in every enemy they hit.

So yeah slap a refined gem on that bad boy and you've got a hell of a weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Rafza posted:

the way the person is situated on the ladder is just shy of being hit (the boulder either hits the floor or passes overhead)
maybe something like Profaned Flame to get them to go down, then quickly go down the ladder yourself?

or is the punch better than the kick

a shameful boehner posted:

Is the Drakeblood Greatsword good? It feels like a Claymore combined with a straight sword moveset style and does physical, magic and lightning damage. Sorta gimmicky I guess but I like the idea of a tri-damage weapon.
Allegedly it's really good if you make it Raw and enchant it with Lightning Blade or Crystal Weapon. It pretty much requires a caster build to make the best out of it though, otherwise it's just a weaker version of the Hollowslayer.

Edit: what Harrow said

Exodee fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 5, 2016

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:

Rafza posted:

you guys know that ladder that leads to the two watchdogs/aldritch basement?

if someone is turtling on that ladder, how do you get them off it? if you attempt to climb and kick them down, they punch too quickly to allow for you to get hits in (poise effect...or maybe poise is just nonexistant on ladders) and if you attempt to throw something at them you are extremely likely to fall down yourself

twohanding a weapon and doing a dive attack will not knock them down, and they can estus on the ladder

it's happened to me three times down and i do not know how to circumvent it

Just an idea, try the silver cat ring, and if they're relatively low on ladder you can slide down then just jump off to the bottom and shoot them with a bow. To be honest though I would just black crystal out because who gives a poo poo.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Exodee posted:

Why are there so many purple summon signs though. On a fresh character I had nothing but purple signs at the first bonfire lol

In Undead Settlement at least you can get hella good fight clubs out of invading as purple or throwing your sign down at the first bonfire there.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Exodee posted:

maybe something like Profaned Flame to get them to go down, then quickly go down the ladder yourself?

or is the punch better than the kick

Allegedly it's really good if you make it Raw and enchant it with Lightning Blade or Crystal Weapon. It pretty much requires a caster build to make the best out of it though, otherwise it's just a weaker version of the Hollowslayer.

Edit: what Harrow said

punch beats kick

i should try profaned flame and / or chaos firestorm enxt time tho, thanks

Captn Kurp posted:

Just an idea, try the silver cat ring, and if they're relatively low on ladder you can slide down then just jump off to the bottom and shoot them with a bow. To be honest though I would just black crystal out because who gives a poo poo.

usually they're at the top but this might be workable in other areas, yeah

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Been watching ENB's Dark Souls 3 playthrough. He's about halfway through Irithyll and he's losing his mind as he picks up on the Anor Londo hints. He's getting so excited as he slowly realizes where he is and it's adorable. When he finally gets to the part where Anor Londo shows up on-screen he's going to lose it, in a good way.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm actually wondering what to do with my Dragon Scales. The boss weapons seem so underwhelming. I don't have the Str (and don't plan on changing that with a reskill) for many, a lot are plain Greatswords with a little twist but I'm getting sick of Greatswords, some I didn't get because I wanted a spell instead, and one is a Bow which might be fine on my build but I will very probably regret it because lol split damage and the Arrows can only be bought NOW and won't be able to be bought for a while in NG+. Any recommendations of stuff I'm overlooking?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Harrow posted:

Been watching ENB's Dark Souls 3 playthrough. He's about halfway through Irithyll and he's losing his mind as he picks up on the Anor Londo hints. He's getting so excited as he slowly realizes where he is and it's adorable. When he finally gets to the part where Anor Londo shows up on-screen he's going to lose it, in a good way.

which hints? i had no idea about anor londo until the i got into the kitchen area, and even then i was like "wait what the gently caress are the silver knights doing here"

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Deified Data posted:

What Harrow said - a classic Dark Souls deception is looking at an elemental weapon's higher AR and being fooled into thinking it's superior, and being surprised when you go out in the world and find you're dealing less damage than before you infused. Nothing illustrates this better than the Dancer's Twinblades with a whopping 3 elemental split between physical, fire, and dark that has to contend with those three defenses individually in every enemy they hit.

So yeah slap a refined gem on that bad boy and you've got a hell of a weapon.

Man, I've been playing the series since DS and I still don't know the core math behind it. Sad. Does the handmaid (or anybody) sell gems? I would experiment a lot more if i knew I didn't have a finite supply of gems or have to farm them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rafza posted:

which hints? i had no idea about anor londo until the i got into the kitchen area, and even then i was like "wait what the gently caress are the silver knights doing here"

That's where he is now. He guessed that it was Anor Londo right when he got to the bridge, though, right away. But then he got to the room with the paintings and the Silver Knights and he's just staring at the paintings getting so excited.

He's also suspecting that Gwyndolin is still here. I wish I could see his face when he sees Aldrich.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Giving mound-makers a shackle if the host gets to the boss fog wall would be a good way to add to the uncertainty if you've got purple phantoms in your world and would somewhat bring back the effect of the small white soapstone.

E: If you get summoned from a purple sign, do you appear on your sign or elsewhere in the world?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 5, 2016

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Rafza posted:

punch beats kick

i should try profaned flame and / or chaos firestorm enxt time tho, thanks
does the Perseverance buff work on ladders? maybe keep a pocket mace around for if they hang out at the top

also some weapons like greataxes make a shockwave when you hit the ground, might also be worth a shot

turtlecrunch posted:

In Undead Settlement at least you can get hella good fight clubs out of invading as purple or throwing your sign down at the first bonfire there.
Oh poo poo, that's pretty cool. Guess I'll have to make another character then

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The swordspear is godlike but I think like the regular Dragonslayer spear better

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Harrow posted:

That's where he is now. He guessed that it was Anor Londo right when he got to the bridge, though, right away. But then he got to the room with the paintings and the Silver Knights and he's just staring at the paintings getting so excited.

He's also suspecting that Gwyndolin is still here. I wish I could see his face when he sees Aldrich.

I've been watching his DS1 playthrough just to refresh myself on the lore as I play through this one, and I'm real excited to see his playthrough of this. Dude loves the little lore and setting touches so much.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Since beating the game for the first time with a STR-crazed meathead build I've decided to try a FTH build, and I'm mostly relying on the Deep Battleaxe I got back in High Castle instead of raising my STR/DEX. I'm up to Road of Sacrifices and I was wondering, is there any clear winner between Deep and Fire as far as enemy resistance is concerned? My gut feeling says fire damage would be more widely resisted but I'm prepared to be surprised.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

I've been watching his DS1 playthrough just to refresh myself on the lore as I play through this one, and I'm real excited to see his playthrough of this. Dude loves the little lore touches so much.

He's really down on the game in the first few videos because he feels like the DS1 references are too heavy-handed and he felt like it was just meaningless pandering. When he gets to Irithyll he starts noticing that it actually ties together and he seems so happy about it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
http://i.imgur.com/fPbIIyp.webm

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh loving no! I was at the handmaiden and thought I was on the buy screen but was on the sell screen and just lost 1 Slab and 5 scale. I done hosed up. :(
Ultimate Sadness!!!!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Gravity always wins. You can git gud as much as you want, but Gravity will always kick your rear end.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Shindragon posted:

Gravity always wins. You can git gud as much as you want, but Gravity will always kick your rear end.

hi i have a friend named silvercat ring

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
warden twinsword thoughts: boy these have much shorter range than a straight sword , also much lower damage than anris
That's OK I'll just hit more with them
*swings a half dozen times at guy with ten percent life rolling in a corner until a bluecop comes to kill me*

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rafza posted:

If there's one thing I've learned it's that spook is the best spell in the game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh my loving god, the Vanilla Rapier's weapon art attacks just bounces off a hollow's wooden shield.

No wonder people rely more on the Estoc's hitboxes.

HaB posted:

They'd have to contrive some reason why you have to kill her, but make you feel like an absolute dick when you do.
Have her tell you bonewheels are peaceful and kind.

mastershakeman posted:

warden twinsword thoughts: boy these have much shorter range than a straight sword , also much lower damage than anris
That's OK I'll just hit more with them
*swings a half dozen times at guy with ten percent life rolling in a corner until a bluecop comes to kill me*
How did you not bleed them to death then? When I dodge a bleed weapon without getting damaged by the attack, it still generally causes bleed bar increases anyways. Can lag bleeds not trigger, just build up the bar?

EDIT:

Fister Roboto posted:

If there's one thing I've learned it's that spook is the best spell in the game.

I've noticed a strange as hell bug with Spook. If I'm two hand wielding a weapon, enemies will noticed me from 50 feet away. But I can sprint up to them while one handed wielding for a free backstab, or even slowly walk up to them without the spell running in clanky armor.

But as soon as I two hand with the spook buff up, NPCs magically know I'm there a lot of the time. I did my testing on this mostly at high wall vs the lothric knight and darkwraith.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
WHY ARE SO MANY WEAPONS JUST BAD

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Section Z posted:

How did you not bleed them to death then? When I dodge a bleed weapon without getting damaged by the attack, it still generally causes bleed bar increases anyways. Can lag bleeds not trigger, just build up the bar?

I've noticed bleed trigger and do nothing, so probably yes.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

net cafe scandal posted:

The swordspear is godlike but I think like the regular Dragonslayer spear better

I hate the two handed moveset on it. Its slow and looks like you're flailing a pool noodle around

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I was helping a buddy get the last couple of items in Undead Settlement. We rolled up to Irina, and while my buddy was talking to her, I read some of the messages on the ground...

"Time for finger
Then try tongue"

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Trying to decide between the following combos on a Dex/Fai:

Dragonslayer Spear + Avelyn + Dragonslayer Swordspear
Dragonslayer Spear + Avelyn + Carthus Curved Sword
Dragonslayer Spear + Avelyn + Drakeblood Greatsword
Dragonslayer Spear + Avelyn + Hollowslayer Greatsword
Dragonslayer Spear + Avelyn + Dragonslayer Axe

Wow.. Thats a lot of slaying.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

I was helping a buddy get the last couple of items in Undead Settlement. We rolled up to Irina, and while my buddy was talking to her, I read some of the messages on the ground...

"Time for finger
Then try tongue"

Well yeah, she asks you to touch her and then you talk to her.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

net cafe scandal posted:

You want more than just a little blood. You want to be drenched in blood, mired in its foul stench. Am I right? Am I?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rafza posted:

That has a limit as well. :v:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Alright so my build has turned into 50str/30end/30vit/30vig, everything else is 20 or less.

Lately I've had a lot of fun with the FKUGS at +5 - the R1+R1 combo that does an overhead smash then follows with a driving uppercut really catches people off guard and goes through shields. Watching people try to block while I have the Knight Slayer's ring equipped is pretty fun. :v:

What are the best consensus top-tier weapons for a strength build? So far I've been using FKUGS +5, Butcher's Blade +10, Dragonslayer's Greataxe +3, Vordt's Hammer +3, Astora Greatsword +8. So far I like the FKUGS and Butcher's the best.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I've noticed bleed trigger and do nothing, so probably yes.

It was like this in DS1 too. If bleed procced while they had iframes the damage was negated. Making sure it procced on a roll was called bleed cancelling and was a major part of fighting against bleed builds.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Harrow posted:

There are two fairly strong reasons why I think Untended Graves is in the past.

First: Champion Gundyr's armor set description. I'll spoil it just in case: "Gundyr, or the Belated Champion, was bested by an unknown warrior. He then became sheath to a coiled sword in the hopes that someday, the first flame would be linked once more." That implies that you defeating Champion Gundyr is what sets up Iudex Gundyr in the Cemetery of Ash.

Second: in a wonderfully obscure series of events, if you talk to the Shrine Handmaid at Untended Graves before you ever talk to her in Firelink Shrine, then talk to her in Firelink, she has different dialog that implies she remembers you.

Isn't it also fair to say that untended graves may be the present and that 'light firelink' is the future?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Harrow posted:

I thought he was hating the callbacks.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

net cafe scandal posted:

I ran with the first and I can confirm tis cool.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I think halberds are better than straight swords, rapiers, and all the other weapons ppl say are good.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

as far as i can tell there are optimal weapons but the game is more fun if you just play with what you think looks cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Toady posted:

I thought he was hating the callbacks.

He was until they started to tie together.

What he said was that he felt like the callbacks early on weren't leading to anything and were just pandering. Now that they're starting to pay off he basically recanted those statements in his latest video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

net cafe scandal posted:

I think halberds are better than straight swords, rapiers, and all the other weapons ppl say are good.

I can't speak for any other halberd, but the Black Knight Halberd kicks rear end. Also the Dragonslayer Swordspear has a halberd moveset two handed.