Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

No, that's me. I'm super authoritarian and also sincerely believe in one world government complete with tracking chips, controls on movement, and all that other good stuff. And probably a lot of unfortunate but necessary sidelining, let's call it, of people who won't go along. Which is for the best really because we're going to need a population reduction.

the "yikes" meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Can we get an article on this that doesn't include the sentence "I can't even with this" so I can share this horrible thing that is happening without embarrassing myself?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...c.1.JOfSLrIbJA0

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Torpor posted:

It sure was, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they hated certain ethnicities/races because those groups were deliberately brought in to break the union/scab. Union guys loving hate scabs and the employers decision to import a different race/ethnicity is a deliberate tactic.

The different periods of migration in the US were basically the quest for lower cost labor by using different groups against each other. Although the fact that the waves of immigration were from different area may have merely been very very convenient rather than a plan conscious or not. Now that transportation costs are low the companies can just ship the whole factory overseas and domestic stuff that you can't send overseas uses illegal migrants that work for less and have zero access to recourse. The best kind of labor!

Are you really peddling the undocumented immigrants are taking our jobs poo poo?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

Mea culpa, that one's actually unrelated to Bevin. It's just normal terribleness!
From the article:
"If approved by the school board later this spring, long-term district suspensions for elementary, middle and high school students would no longer be an option for inappropriate sexual behavior (excluding assault/abuse). School-level suspension would still an option."

So you're wrong.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Grognan posted:

Ok, unless your goal is some sort of minimum income, I have to question how you might plan helping the lives of the poor. "Getting a grown up job" is not a valid answer.

Of course it is, but how does this statement follow from what I said? The dismissal of American labor woes simply as racist is lazy and not solving anything. No local labor force, in lean times especially, welcome more competition with open arms. Particularly when that competition is not part of the community. The more "exotic" and different the competition, the more resistance a local group will have. How to solve the problem? Mincome that ensures living with dignity. When people don't have their existance and the survival of their family tied to being able to keep a steady, well paying job, competition for jobs with immigrants becomes far less of a personal concern.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

We must stop those religious extremists who pay to marry their children off to each other and oh wait they're Christian nevermind

But wait, you ask, does not a legitimate marriage require the consent of both people marrying?

Anytime people point out that hyper religious people are hypocritical because they don't REALLY follow the bible otherwise they would be doing something much more extreme it feels like the response is to say "OK LETS GO!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CommieGIR posted:

Can't wait till its used to justify refusing service to blacks and middle eastern people. God Bless America.

This argument was literally made during segregation.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Tons of guys in the military claim that they do.

A former co-worker was adamant that vaping was different enough from traditional smoking that he claimed he had quit smoking successfully. While exhaling a cloud of vape smoke.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't know a single person who vapes to quit smoking.

A couple dudes at work have stopped smoking cigs and vape constantly now

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah no, the Labor movement was just as racist as anyone else. No mitigating it by blaming the Chinese or Mexicans for taking our jobs. The fact blacks were banned from most unions is all the proof you need.

Wobblies were like the biggest exception.

The Wobblies were kind of small actually :smith: nowadays they are organizing coffee shops.

Also other ethnic groups were literally hired so they could be paid less. "Taking our jobs" actually misattributes blame to workers of other ethnicities rather than employers.

That blacks were banned doesn't say it all, really, as they were excluded from everything not just by labor.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I mean big labor was responsible for some very good things for everyone, including OSHA and MSHA, Wage and Hour, etc.; but it's willfully ignorant and damaging to pretend that much of what they were also involved in was racism writ large.

Torpor posted:

Also other ethnic groups were literally hired so they could be paid less. "Taking our jobs" actually misattributes blame to workers of other ethnicities rather than employers.

That narrative isn't entirely true AND it's based on racist ideas about Othering and Less-thans.

Torpor posted:

That blacks were banned doesn't say it all, really, as they were excluded from everything not just by labor.

It says a whole hell of a lot about it. It was a whites only club.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

From the article:
"If approved by the school board later this spring, long-term district suspensions for elementary, middle and high school students would no longer be an option for inappropriate sexual behavior (excluding assault/abuse). School-level suspension would still an option."

So you're wrong.

did you check my edit before mashing reply orrrrr

But yeah I was wrong. But let's not bury the lead, harassment is still a-ok! :downs:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This argument was literally made during segregation.

I know, and that's kind of the deep seated irony with all these Christian groups arguing that discriminating against gays isn't evil, they've already tried this route and it blew up in their faces during much more Conserative supported ages. Its only even more unlikely to work in their favor this time around.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Torpor posted:

Yep.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DOOP posted:

I'm one of those guys. I mean, I don't work with you, but I haven't had a cigarette in six months and this news cuts deep. It's ridiculous overreach, but what's sad is taxation and regulation could have done plenty.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Still not seeing any actual articles, just blog entries that post excerpts from the website with running commentary.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't know a single person who vapes to quit smoking.

For what it's worth I managed to quit a decade-long smoking habit by switching for a while to Vapes, and then eventually to nothing at all once maintaining The Vape became too much of a hassle. Granted, I was genuinely looking to quit and genuinely thought of it as a combination cool toy/quitting device. I know plenty of people who have gotten Vapes in order to either quit or "save money", then turn around and wind up spending five times more on a crazy Vape kit than they were on cigarettes.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Are you really peddling the undocumented immigrants are taking our jobs poo poo?

Im not peddling anything, maybe in lovely at writing I guess? immigration and undocumented immigrants are gigantic labor and workers rights issues. What do you think undocumented workers are doing in this country, all standing around? No, they are employed. AND they have no rights, it is a little hard to ask for a raise if you can be fired and have nothing/ get deported. Similarly the increasing superabundance of labor certainly doesn't cause upward pressure on wages.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 5, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DOOP posted:

Do they vape where they previously couldn't smoke? That poo poo drives me nuts. The co-worker i mentioned a couple posts up did that poo poo non-stop. Would vape right in front of customers, blow his vape smoke at co-workers, and brag that nothing could stop him from vaping inside the store.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Do they vape where they previously couldn't smoke? That poo poo drives me nuts. The co-worker i mentioned a couple posts up did that poo poo non-stop. Would vape right in front of customers, blow his vape smoke at co-workers, and brag that nothing could stop him from vaping inside the store.

WA has the Clean Air Act prohibiting such behavior.

You can safely fog up vape shops (except in Pierce County) and your own home, which is completely acceptable.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Torpor posted:

Im not peddling anything, maybe in lovely at writing I guess? immigration and undocumented immigrants are gigantic labor and workers rights issues. What do you think undocumented workers are doing in this , all standing around? No, they are employed. AND they have no rights, it is a little hard to ask for a raise if you can be dropped and have nothing/ get deported. Similarly the increasing superabundance of labor certainly doesn't cause upward pressure on wages.

I literally pointed this out this morning, but the largest majority of undocumented immigrants are not unskilled laborers working in the strawberry fields of California. The biggest majority of them are people who have overstayed their student visas. But you're right, undocumented laborers are a group that is extremely at risk for being abused. But for the majority of it's history, organized labor did not give a flying gently caress about them. It's only really ever been people like Delores Huerta that have ever helped them fight for equality and rights.

There also isn't some superabundance of labor that is taking away from "good paying jobs" for white people -- which is what that language boils down to meaning.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 5, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Torpor posted:

The Wobblies were kind of small actually :smith: nowadays they are organizing coffee shops.

Sure they were no more racist than any other white institution in America, that's my point.

Also you're flat wrong that minorities only worked in unionized jobs because they could be paid less. We can look to the labor short WW2 era (where employers would take any able employee) and what do you know? There's a black and a white union for the same job in the north, but nope it's because blacks are scabs.

Sure the blacks got paid less, not because the company was screwing the white workers, but because white union solidarity only extends to other whites. The idea that excluding minorities from labor solidarity is justifiable because they can get paid less is not only wrong but actively hurts the current labor movement.

We have to own up to our past mistakes in intersectionality, we fail when we try to ignore them or make them wait.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I literally pointed this out yesterday, but the largest majority of undocumented immigrants are not unskilled laborers working in the strawberry fields of California. The biggest majority of them are people who have overstayed their student visas. But you're right, undocumented laborers are a group that is extremely at risk for being abused. But for the majority of it's history, organized labor did not give a flying gently caress about them. It's only really ever been people like Delores Huerta that have ever helped them fight for equality and rights.

There also isn't some superabundance of labor that is taking away from "good paying jobs" for white people -- which is what that language boils down to meaning.

Hey now, its not our fault Disney and IBM promote replacing white collar workers with underpaid foreign labor.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Goddamn that sounds obnoxious as hell and was probably a big selling point to underage vapers to be honest.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Hey now, its not our fault Disney and IBM promote replacing white collar workers with underpaid foreign labor.

If only we removed the reason they're willing to be underpaid and fixed the immigration system.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

For what it's worth I managed to quit a decade-long smoking habit by switching for a while to Vapes, and then eventually to nothing at all once maintaining The Vape became too much of a hassle. Granted, I was genuinely looking to quit and genuinely thought of it as a combination cool toy/quitting device. I know plenty of people who have gotten Vapes in order to either quit or "save money", then turn around and wind up spending five times more on a crazy Vape kit than they were on cigarettes.

I don't doubt the existence of people actually quitting cigs by using e-cigs.

My experience is that most people aren't actually trying to quit, they just want swap out cigs with e-cigs and say they've fixed their problem, or they want the ability to smoke with less judgement and less restrictions from their peers. "Cig smoke is gross, but I'm exhaling strawberry bubblegum smelling vapor!"

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

WA has the Clean Air Act prohibiting such behavior.

You can safely fog up vape shops (except in Pierce County) and your own home, which is completely acceptable.

Unfortunately in Oklahoma no such laws exist in regards to vaping.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Like that's the reason Big Labor never supported immigration reform -- self-defeating racist assumptions.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Talmonis posted:

Alcohol doesn't have remotely the same penetration into school communities as tobacco products. And it's much harder to aquire (as it's much tighter regulated) for a child than cigarettes are. The legal purchase age is a large part of it, and likely why California is raising the minimum to 21.

So what? The evidence that vape "smoke" is actually harmful is thin, compared to the stack of evidence on what alcohol can do to underage consumers.

And if you've got that data on penetration into school communities as compared to alcohol, I'd like to see that.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm one of those guys. I mean, I don't work with you, but I haven't had a cigarette in six months and this news cuts deep. It's ridiculous overreach, but what's sad is taxation and regulation could have done plenty.

Am I missing something? I'm not going to go through the full 500 page rulemaking, but per the Vox piece, it looks like the market's going to remain fairly static for adults.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Radbot posted:

So what? The evidence that vape "smoke" is actually harmful is thin, compared to the stack of evidence on what alcohol can do to underage consumers.

And if you've got that data on penetration into school communities as compared to alcohol, I'd like to see that.

The data is inconclusive because it has not been thoroughly studied.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

My experience is that most people aren't actually trying to quit, they just want swap out cigs with e-cigs and say they've fixed their problem, or they want the ability to smoke with less judgement and less restrictions from their peers. "Cig smoke is gross, but I'm exhaling strawberry bubblegum smelling smoke!"

I support them? By reducing the number of carcinogens you inhale, you reduce your chances of throat and lung cancer. It would be better if they quit entirely, yes, but that's letting perfect be the enemy of good.

More: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/vaping-is-about-reducing-harm-not-being-harmless-e-cigarettes-news-royal-college-of-physicians

eviltastic posted:

Am I missing something? I'm not going to go through the full 500 page rulemaking, but per the Vox piece, it looks like the market's going to remain fairly static for adults.

Every product made after 2007 will have to submit to the FDA's regulation process, which will murder small businesses.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tatum Girlparts posted:

And again no one is disagreeing with you there. The issue we have is between 'beat the gay out' and 'pray your TB away' you added in 'has opinions I dislike'!

Except I never talked about removing children for believing in stupid poo poo. I talked about putting the children into a school system that deprograms them from the lies being taight to them by their parents. I don't think that you get the right to fill a kid's head with whatever BS you want unopposed just because you're the DNA donor. It Takes a Village is a real thing, and it means society has some say in how a child is raised. I also fail to see how teaching children things like "The bible is not factually accurate in these cases" isn't something important-- I didn't even learn that Exodus was a giant loving lie until adulthood because my history classes were deficient. We should be filling children's heads with facts and cultural indoctrination, not long discredited lies.

zoux posted:

Just usually huh

Yeah, that's why the foster system exists. There are people who are better off being raised by the state because their home life is so broken and abusive. This isn't some idea that comes up out of nowhere, it's the exact reason why CPS exists.

stinkles1112 posted:

Man you really ought to knock it off with the "trash people" "garbage people" thing

Uh, the stuff I'm talking about are things like the systematic abuse of your female/LGBT children. The people sending their kids to gay torture camps aren't the utterly poor, they don't have the cash for them. It's middle and upper class bigots who think they can beat the sexuality out of a kid, or continually deprive their daughters out of education opportunities because "girls don't do that sort of thing". Calling out abusive attitudes as trash is exactly the kind of thing we should be doing. But by all means, continue to let people with these kinds of attitudes continue to get coddled. It's not like they've crashed the gate of an entire political party or anything.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The data is inconclusive because it has not been thoroughly studied.

Sounds like a good reason to ban and regulate, then! Meanwhile, let's continue putting liquor stores right outside of schools with candy-flavored intoxicants that can kill them.

While you're at it, can you ban PM2.5? Because that's something that actually affects people's health. No morality to legislate there, though, so no interest.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Sounds like a good reason to ban and regulate, then! Meanwhile, let's continue putting liquor stores right outside of schools with candy-flavored intoxicants that can kill them.

kids aren't legally allowed to buy alcohol, though. many states don't explicitly ban the sale of vapes to minors, since you have to put nicotene in the thing

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

kids aren't legally allowed to buy alcohol, though

Kids aren't legally allowed to smoke weed, either, but more kids do that than consume alcohol on a regular basis. Seems like making it illegal doesn't really help, doesn't it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Kids aren't legally allowed to smoke weed, either, but more kids do that than consume alcohol on a regular basis. Seems like making it illegal doesn't really help, doesn't it.

"might as well not pass any laws ever, then"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Radbot posted:

Sounds like a good reason to ban and regulate, then!

Well no, but it's also not a reason to not regulate it.

rkajdi posted:

Except I never talked about removing children for believing in stupid poo poo. I talked about putting the children into a school system that deprograms them from the lies being taight to them by their parents. I don't think that you get the right to fill a kid's head with whatever BS you want unopposed just because you're the DNA donor. It Takes a Village is a real thing, and it means society has some say in how a child is raised. I also fail to see how teaching children things like "The bible is not factually accurate in these cases" isn't something important-- I didn't even learn that Exodus was a giant loving lie until adulthood because my history classes were deficient. We should be filling children's heads with facts and cultural indoctrination, not long discredited lies.

Oh good, my personal narrative stories for policy proposals. AND "deprogramming" in one! My god we're filling up mah bingo card.

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, that's why the foster system exists. There are people who are better off being raised by the state because their home life is so broken and abusive. This isn't some idea that comes up out of nowhere, it's the exact reason why CPS exists.

Luckily the foster system is just FANTASTIC and there are so many people who want to be foster parents!

rkajdi posted:

Uh, the stuff I'm talking about are things like the systematic abuse of your female/LGBT children. The people sending their kids to gay torture camps aren't the utterly poor, they don't have the cash for them. It's middle and upper class bigots who think they can beat the sexuality out of a kid, or continually deprive their daughters out of education opportunities because "girls don't do that sort of thing". Calling out abusive attitudes as trash is exactly the kind of thing we should be doing. But by all means, continue to let people with these kinds of attitudes continue to get coddled. It's not like they've crashed the gate of an entire political party or anything.

The majority of people do not engage in these types of behaviors.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Let me present you with the greatest newspaper cover image ever:

That donkey is so happy

A cartoon was posted of Donald Trump getting assfucked by a donkey and barely anyone noticed it

Come on USPoL

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

A cartoon was posted of Donald Trump getting assfucked by a donkey and barely anyone noticed it

Come on USPoL

the overton window has been shifted, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

Come on USPoL

I was hoping to forget it...

• Locked thread