Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hubbl3
Mar 28, 2016

VideoGames posted:

If it helps I am trying to work out how to rent an office and have about 30 little windows open and got sidetracked reading about regional markets.

Forget Mittens and DJ, you shall be our new Goon Spacelord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Rhymenoserous posted:

Like it or not the fact that the ex-mouthpiece of our organization is vehemently against what we are now is troubling as gently caress to a line goon. Continuing to demonize the likes of him and for that matter kismeteer for gently caress ups real or perceived does a ton of damage to our credibility as an organization.

is this for real

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

I always kinda didn't like syndic the misogynist and didn't read his posts because I mostly did and do my own posting and I just hit up deadtear when I'm being lazy. I'm glad I never used 4chan too because holy poo poo you're loving awful please stop posting

That's cool man a lot of people don't. I have a somewhat abrasive personality I guess, so if you doan like me that's cool. I get it.

If you do like me and wanna be friends and stuff that's cool too. Most people who know would tell you that while I may be difficult to get along with at times I'm at least a good and loyal friend, despite my lack of other redeeming qualities.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hubbl3 posted:

Forget Mittens and DJ, you shall be our new Goon Spacelord.

I would be awful! Everytime I try to do something I end up clicking the wrong thing or getting sidetracked with reading about stuff! :D

I often end up staring at rocks not actually mining half the time!

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
VG can I put my highsec mission man's into your corp? I'll help yall get standings if you ever wanna try out shooting red houses

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syndic Thrass posted:

That's cool man a lot of people don't. I have a somewhat abrasive personality I guess, so if you doan like me that's cool. I get it.

If you do like me and wanna be friends and stuff that's cool too. Most people who know would tell you that while I may be difficult to get along with at times I'm at least a good and loyal friend, despite my lack of other redeeming qualities.

I'm just messing with you buddy :glomp:

Hubbl3
Mar 28, 2016

VideoGames posted:

I would be awful! Everytime I try to do something I end up clicking the wrong thing or getting sidetracked with reading about stuff! :D

Clicking the wrong button is a cornerstone of goons in space.

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

evilweasel posted:

Or, because I know the overall war strategy and know why we're doing things, it will not occur to me that someone on the outside looking in may think something is dumb or pointless or counterproductive because they don't have the complete picture

Without agreeing or disagreeing with what you're all doing, it's really not hard to figure out the possible angles you guys are working on; it's not rocket science.

Anti-Anxiety Annie
Jan 2, 2015

Hubbl3 posted:

Clicking the wrong button is a cornerstone of goons in space.

We never do that... but in that tradition I will click the wrong button and reply here

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

VideoGames posted:

yeah but get this, we like that

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

go3 posted:

is this for real

Or we can just put blinkers on and ignore it and hope it goes away.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Vertigoe posted:

We never do that... but in that tradition I will click the wrong button and reply here

what a first post

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

Goatman Sacks posted:

But who's going to run reimbursement now?!

I loving hate your face.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

VideoGames for GSF ceo

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rhymenoserous posted:

what problem, the afk directors that left because they were afk and not actually doing their space jobs?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Orange Red Bull posted:

VideoGames for GSF ceo

A fate worse than death.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Rhymenoserous posted:

once again, while not a director if you have actual problems you can come to me and if it's legit I'll advocate the poo poo out of it and I'm noisy enough that I get some response at least :)

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

VideoGames posted:

I would be awful!

its perfect

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Foehammer007 posted:

what a first post

Speaking of people who can vouch that I'm a good and loyal friend. And all the dudes we smoked out at evelanta too lol

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhymenoserous posted:

how do we fix the DJ problem when he literally things were being used/abused or w/e ALA Lemba "Mittani forced me to abuse my family". Like it's a complete non-sequitur.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

once again, while not a director if you have actual problems you can come to me and if it's legit I'll advocate the poo poo out of it and I'm noisy enough that I get some response at least :)

Most of what I had to say was already written in that hurfpost you said you agreed with. It's all poo poo that needs worked on.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm going to be the guy throwing poop against the wall a little bit here, but imo our leadership has been disconnected since 2013, and it's being seen in the number of defections. Like it or not the fact that the ex-mouthpiece of our organization is vehemently against what we are now is troubling as gently caress to a line goon. Continuing to demonize the likes of him and for that matter kismeteer for gently caress ups real or perceived does a ton of damage to our credibility as an organization. Especially if we take the current situation into view and see much greater mismanagement is directly responsible for the situation we are in.

The only reason I'm sticking around is literally because of the friends I have on the inside and that goons as a nullsec power is fundamentally an idea that is important to me. Basically I'm here for GSF. You guys as a whole have a perceptions issue you absolutely must get a handle on, and that's going to require some real talk and not a hurfy fireside chat.

My view on Endie is exceedingly negative and has been well before he left and has very little to do with the fact he's gone. I generally try to keep it out of the thread, but I have very little positive to say about him and I'm very glad he's gone. I do realize that it's not a good look for us and that people aren't going to share my view. My view of that however is it's more the result of earlier mistakes than a current symptom, but I'll try to keep my personal disdain for him out of the thread. There's other people who have left that I'm sad are gone, but that is part of the game and most people on the other side don't particularly bother me. Vily, for example, has been FCing a lot against us and I don't really have anything bad to say about him. I don't even know who most of the people on the other side are who aren't ex-goons, really, besides a few of the PL guys. There are, of course, the terrible, terrible posters on the other side but aside from Gen EVE and DHD most of the leaders aren't atrocious posters.

I think a good chunk of your analysis is correct. The fact we're in this situation means that we've hosed many things up, and need to figure out not only what we hosed up but how to fix it. There are some things though that muddle it a bit and it's easy to miss what the fuckup was. One big thing is, to a certain degree, our power was always an illusion: if the rest of eve teamed up on us there wasn't much we could do about it for most of the time we've been around. What went wrong is that divide and conquer stopped working and we exposed enough weakness for people to finally be willing to coordinate enough to take us down. That's how Fountain worked: we had trouble beating PL/NC/TEST all at once, but once we made working with test miserable we could split up the group and then beat just TEST.

One big gently caress-up is mine: we realized when Somer went down how much isk those gambling sites were pulling in, but didn't do a good enough job getting ours up and running and then let it sort of collapse, while not cozing up to the one that took Somer's place. That was a major strategic error and is mostly on my head. It's dumb as hell that gambling sites are so strategically powerful, but that's the game we're in and I should have done a better job securing it. We had enough money (and still do, fortunately) - but we, like, have to budget and can't go "sure, have 300b to inconvenience our enemies for a week". Not realizing the key differences between reddit and regular forums, and not realizing that not getting enough of a reddit presence early on would make getting our message out there impossible if we didn't have a friendly mod, was another major one. We know how to push our message through a lot of places, but now that it's moved to Reddit that's become a problem because Reddit, by design, has a strong tendency to echo chamber and the echo isn't ours. You can't really push an unpopular message through force of will and posting like you can in a forum: it self-moderates it out.

There are a lot of "ivory tower" style fuckups as well, and people are right to point those out and that's something that is a focus, needs to stay a focus, and if you think it's happening, feel free to poke me about it.

dragonstalking posted:

Without agreeing or disagreeing with what you're all doing, it's really not hard to figure out the possible angles you guys are working on; it's not rocket science.

It's not - provided you've spent a lot of time figuring out how fozziesov works, which a guy who joined up 6 months ago probably hasn't. Assuming what's obvious to you is obvious to everyone is a pretty big problem. I don't think that any of our enemies can't puzzle out what's going on, but people who haven't played the game for years don't have all the random knowledge that people who have take for granted.

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

True story, I was confronted in gs_isk by a curious Deadtear when the former GSOL director banning occurred. When the details of the case were presented, the Honouourable D. Tear (Presiding), ruled the alliance leadership less stupid than the defense (in this narrow instance).

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Rhymenoserous posted:

Most of what I had to say was already written in that hurfpost you said you agreed with. It's all poo poo that needs worked on.

i mean going forward!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nessin posted:

I understand all of that. The problem is I've heard it, multiple times, straight from Mittani, that it's going to happen. I fully understand the reasoning of why we're not doing it, but if we're not doing it why am I being told to look for it? And if I'm being told to look for it, why isn't it actually happening for poo poo like that?

Got an answer. Turns out I was wrong: basically, the plan was to start posting regular ops to hack hostile space. However, hostiles copied our idea of moving all vulnerabilities to ghost time, so that plan got scrapped because there's not good times to post for hacking fleets.

Is there a particular benefit for you in having ops posted, instead of broadcasts for swordfleets/standingfleets/oppressionfleets when they're being assembled?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Given what you know of GSF and the overarching strategy for this thing the rest of eve keep trying to call a war, where do you see GSF in 6 months time? One year?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Got an answer. Turns out I was wrong: basically, the plan was to start posting regular ops to hack hostile space. However, hostiles copied our idea of moving all vulnerabilities to ghost time, so that plan got scrapped because there's not good times to post for hacking fleets.

Is there a particular benefit for you in having ops posted, instead of broadcasts for swordfleets/standingfleets/oppressionfleets when they're being assembled?

I think it's mostly for better transparency and morale? Transparency is good in a lot of environments but I don't know how it works for eve so I can't say anything. People like feeling they aren't just cogs though.

quote:

I can even respect that we may not form up for it all, but at least throw a notice that "Here is an op because PL is trying to flip 93P so we'll form up at this time to see what we've got and what they're going to bring. Probably going to stand down and laugh at them for forming a huge force in response, which we'll blue ball, to this notice and then take it back once they get tired and gently caress off a few months down the road." Everyone wins, you get the line members involved in the game without deceiving them up front, you get the chance to possible ninja defend it if the MBC decides it's a joke and ignores it, and you're not coming off as lying and/or incompetent on your campaign promises. Instead we get the exact opposite. And then yesterday I see one of the caps ping only to find out it's because of EC- flipping and the exact same poo poo is going on.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Setting up a new corp in Eve Online, a Kismeteer primer:

First of all, congrats on your new corporation. RIP your social life if it gets popular.

Secondly, make sure you OWN the corp forever. Immediately give yourself the shares or make new ones, max amount is good. you also want to decide a couple key things, like what to put in your corp description. Small corps tend to do a public channel to help talk to people in a group to an individual or anyone looking for details on you. I also recommend making a clear person in charge of external contacts so it isn't just always the CEO, as some CEOs are famous for not logging in.

Third, decide where you're going to live and what you're going to do. What you do is easy. Picking your system is a hard process. For those doing mining, reprocessing and having plentiful things to mine is a good thing. Lots of belts with low mining population is good. Having a station with reprocessing is good. Having a good undock on that station is good. Having a free moon without having to do a war dec to kill an offline pos is good. These are all things that are hard to plan initially, but once you have your place, it's all good. Good news is that if it all goes pear shaped, pubbie hauling is cheap and plentiful, though not always reliable.

Fourth, if you want to give people access through titles. You want to setup titles that are tied to roles, not just give roles themselves. You can remove a role from a title with two button clicks, removing all roles from individuals is time consuming In particular, you generally will set different tier of roles for different people. For a base miner, they might need visibility into a certain hanger. This can be added by giving them 'view'. Realize that once you give someone roles, they cannot be removed from the group for 24 hours, minimum. So don't be completely cavalier about it.

Once you have that person mining for the corp for awhile, you can also give them rights to 'access' a can. You should make this a separate title. Using titles means that you can easily see that person's rights by just being logged in. You can also give them individual titles like Config Equipment, allowing them to drop bubbles for the corp, or more complete access like Config Starbase Equipment, which gives them complete POS control, or Station Manager, which allows them to rent and control offices or outposts.

When you REALLY REALLY trust someone, you can give them Full Director. Directors can do everything that a CEO can. Including stealing the corp if you don't secure the shares. A director are also the only one that give titles to other people.

Finally, you want to setup the hangers to accommodate your lifestyle. You want a hanger for just the CEO and full directors, goons use one called Taxes. You want one for newbie ships if you're going to do that, Goons used Mentors. And then you want one for your general 'purpose', maybe Mining.

In those hangers, you want, whenever possible, to use containers to track who is moving what, where. I prefer Station Warehouses, they cost 2 mil isk and hold 100 mil m^3 , but you can also use a Station Container which costs 20k to hold 1 mil m^3, or Station Vault Container which costs 200k to hold 10 mil m^3. You will fill the second two, but filling the first one takes a bit of doing. These you can set Passwords on if you want, and that way, people can only drop stuff into these containers if they don't know the password. If they do know it, then they can pull stuff out. You can also configure the containers to lock when things are dropped in. And you have an audit log to see what they added and removed. If you put ships in any of these, they cannot be put into containers UNLESS they are repackaged.

Anyway, the 101 'how to setup your mining corp' that I did for VG because I like helping people.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks for the effort post Weaselior. I haven't been on Elysium for the past week due to work, so it's nice to know problems are at least being acknowledged rather than ignored.

Rebuilding the Goon Empire in Eve (a terrible game) will be fun.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Elysium scrolls so fast it's a headache to keep up with at times unless you are doing nothing but watching it.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

evilweasel posted:

I thought it was nice just from a planning perspective. It's easier for me to say "hey, I'm gonna block off these couple of hours for some spaceships because I can expect a fleet I'm interested in" vs just kinda making sure I'm watching jabber during my TZ, ready to drop whatever I'm doing if I wanna get in.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Drythe posted:

Elysium scrolls so fast it's a headache to keep up with at times unless you are doing nothing but watching it.

not really?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Opinions are opinions

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm going to be the guy throwing poop against the wall a little bit here, but imo our leadership has been disconnected since 2013, and it's being seen in the number of defections. Like it or not the fact that the ex-mouthpiece of our organization is vehemently against what we are now is troubling as gently caress to a line goon.

I can't remember who said it, but i'm gonna quote em.

"It's really easy to speak for the silent majority, they rarely speak up to refute you."

I know some of the directors, and chat with them. I didn't even know Endie was Batcountry until he left and posted his thing. And the fact that he went to join the other bitter ex-girlfriends in PL just kinda sealed the deal. I always like his posts, the man's got a way with words. But I see nothing troubling here. He was the one that wanted the "dirty laundry" aired. Well, now people are being able to say the nasty poo poo he was doing. It's a two way street. If you think someone's being nasty and lovely and say so, don't expect them to continue to ignore the things they feel are nasty or lovely.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Thanks for the effort post Weaselior. I haven't been on Elysium for the past week due to work, so it's nice to know problems are at least being acknowledged rather than ignored.

Rebuilding the Goon Empire in Eve (a terrible game) will be fun.

Agreed. This is the kind of poo poo we want to see. Half of our pubbies are gone. I want real problems and real solutions, not hurf.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Orange Red Bull posted:

Given what you know of GSF and the overarching strategy for this thing the rest of eve keep trying to call a war, where do you see GSF in 6 months time? One year?

With fozziesov, I don't think we can be kept out of Deklein. Our enemies smashed a lot of our poo poo, smashed our aura of invincibility, and I think that got them a lot of what they're looking for. I don't think that enough people want to live there and play fozziesov tug of war to keep us out over the long term because ultimately it's just not that much fun without the overarching "victory in deklein" thing. But we certainly can't hold the amount of space we had before, which means us and our allies will be packed into less space. From there, we're no longer unchallenged kings of eve, but we have a lot of people we don't like who we can go make miserable (though we probably can't evict them from their space long-term because it's just not sustainable in fozziesov).

I believe someone from PL (jeffraider?) said something to that effect as well, that they're not interested in living there longterm and figure we'll get back Dek at least, but then threaten they'll come farm us if we get to big. I'm sure they'll come back if they're bored and they think they'd win again, so we'll have to work on ways to deal with that (if by keeping everything in lowsec, or finding a way to deal with a supercap fleet).

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

1st class post

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Thank you for posting this, it is heartening so see some of the director thought processes in public.

evilweasel posted:

One big gently caress-up is mine: we realized when Somer went down how much isk those gambling sites were pulling in, but didn't do a good enough job getting ours up and running and then let it sort of collapse, while not cozing up to the one that took Somer's place. That was a major strategic error and is mostly on my head. It's dumb as hell that gambling sites are so strategically powerful, but that's the game we're in and I should have done a better job securing it.

This is personally extremely depressing, in the sense that the top dog in Eve is the one who can best exploit people with gambling addictions. To the order of "if that's what it takes, it's not worth it". I realize we pride ourselves on mastering the meta and all, but this borders on being unethical and immoral IMHO.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evilweasel posted:

My view on Endie is exceedingly negative and has been well before he left and has very little to do with the fact he's gone.

Except you rarely, if ever, said anything negative about him. Just admit it, you're a coward who was too limpdick to share any criticism of a guy you've had "exceedingly negative" opinions of for a long time to make sure you wouldn't get shat on because you can't handle any blowback due to your delicate ego. At least Deadtear isn't afraid to share his opinion of people he plays a game with unlike you.

And, since you've had issues with it in the past, I'll point out this is not a serious post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

evilweasel posted:

With fozziesov, I don't think we can be kept out of Deklein. Our enemies smashed a lot of our poo poo, smashed our aura of invincibility, and I think that got them a lot of what they're looking for. I don't think that enough people want to live there and play fozziesov tug of war to keep us out over the long term because ultimately it's just not that much fun without the overarching "victory in deklein" thing. But we certainly can't hold the amount of space we had before, which means us and our allies will be packed into less space. From there, we're no longer unchallenged kings of eve, but we have a lot of people we don't like who we can go make miserable (though we probably can't evict them from their space long-term because it's just not sustainable in fozziesov).

I believe someone from PL (jeffraider?) said something to that effect as well, that they're not interested in living there longterm and figure we'll get back Dek at least, but then threaten they'll come farm us if we get to big. I'm sure they'll come back if they're bored and they think they'd win again, so we'll have to work on ways to deal with that (if by keeping everything in lowsec, or finding a way to deal with a supercap fleet).

I hope the powers that be know enough not to let them off the hook again ala VFK or B-R if an opportunity presents itself to buttfuck them again

Mister Vee always said Elise is a snake and hes right

Aint nobody trying to be frenemies but Mittens

• Locked thread