Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

IAmTheRad posted:

Those are the pack hound missiles, right?

Anyways with 2.1 missiles (and torpedos) should be getting a bit of a buff.

Yeah, much greater damage to surface components (weapons, canopy, etc.) or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

IAmTheRad posted:

Those are the pack hound missiles, right?

Anyways with 2.1 missiles (and torpedos) should be getting a bit of a buff.
Nah it was just 4 missile launchers on my gunship (my go to ship for silly weapon builds due to the number of weapon slots it has). I can't be assed to pledge for a week then build enough rep to get any of the PP weapons.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Insert name here posted:

Nah it was just 4 missile launchers on my gunship (my go to ship for silly weapon builds due to the number of weapon slots it has). I can't be assed to pledge for a week then build enough rep to get any of the PP weapons.

With 4 packhound launchers you would spit out 16 missiles every time. Since you can fire multiple times by rapidly pressing fire until the launchers have to reload, this means something like 32-64 missiles. (I don't know the exact amount because I forgot how often you can fire them in succession. It was something like 2-4 times, I think.)

If you ever do this the titanic amount of heat you'll generate will probably instantly blow you up.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to have to grind out the required merits for some pack hound missiles and the rank for a gunship with 2.1, the idea of fitting a ton of missile launchers on top of a laser or two is too good to pass up.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I really wish the Gunship were Good. Or at least Not Bad :(

C3 Multi opens up some options I suppose.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I really wish the Gunship were Good. Or at least Not Bad :(

C3 Multi opens up some options I suppose.

An all multicannon build might be fun

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

^ that's what I'm hoping

Known issues for beta 1 posted :frogon:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=246236

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Beta - 1.6 and The Engineers (2.1) is GO!

The full changelog is too long to post so here's a snippet and if you want the full changelog it's here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=246284

NEW CONTENT/FEATURES (2.1)

- Loot
- Added new commodities for loot/crafting (including ones from ice rings)
- Mining resources can now create materials
- Materials can be spawned inside signal sources
- Materials can be dropped from destroyed ships
- Materials can be dropped from destroyed skimmers
- Encoded data materials added
- Data materials can be scanned from scannable wreckage
- Materials inventory is now split into physical and virtual items
- Added scannable wreckage scenarios and POIs
- Added inbox messages when retrieving encoded loot from various objects
- Crafting
- Allow weapon damage values to modify visual affects
- Experimental effects can be generated on module modifications
- Engineers have module modifications of different types and grades available
- Resources can be used to craft module modifications
- NPC ships can use modified modules
- Engineers
- Added new landing pad types for Engineer bases
- Added new hangars for Engineer bases
- Added bases for each engineer
- Engineer contact history added to stats panel
- Engineer locations can be viewed in the galaxy map (if unlocked)
- Engineers each have their own unlock flow
- New surface material system - improves surface material detail and performance
- New surface salvage items
- Added new surface POIs
- Added NPC patrols near planetary ports and outposts
- NPC encounters can occur near planet surfaces
- NPCs can engage in combat near planet surfaces
- NPC ships can defend settlements and bases

NEW CONTENT/FEATURES (1.6)

- Missions
- New mission board added
- Mission board contacts added
- Contacts have their appearance deterministically generated to reflect various key factors
- Mission givers have a welcome message that reflects the state of the minor faction, their tone and relationship with player
- Display minor faction recovering and pending states
- Missions are now rated by rank, not gated by them
- Reason for mission generation now added as needed
- USSs for missions now positioned in specific locations as appropriate
- Difficulty of missions is factored into reputation requirements (as well as rank)
- Added additional scenarios for missions
- Mission UI now supports showing specific mission ranks (combat/trade/exploration)
- Reward balance pass for missions
- Commodities can be awarded from missions
- Loot items can be awarded from missions
- Special treasure locations can be awarded by completing missions
- Reveal the location of a mission USS when the body is discovery-scanned (or you scan the nav beacon)
- Mission contacts remember if they have encountered you before
- Updated scenarios for missions
- Added new planetary mission types
- Added new scan mission types
- Outfitting UI redux
- Updated hangar cameras to fit new outfitting UI
- Some locations can have unique vouchers from scanning for larger rewards that can't be 'scummed'
- Added huge beam laser
- Added huge pulse laser
- Added huge multi-cannon
- Added large multi-cannon
- Added enhanced performance size 2 and 3 drive modules
- Added VFX scaling for weapon size and damage
- Added huge gimball mount
- Bookmarks: adding bookmark feature to galaxy map and system map. Player is now able to save specific locations (systems, star, planet, stations, surface settlement)
- Added collapsing sections to options screen
- Community goal markers added to galaxy map
- Minor faction state filters added to galaxy map
- Mining scenarios can now spawn in icy rings
- New mining commodities added
- Add traffic density system for generating USSs
- Shipping lanes are created between the primary star, stations, and planets with settlements. Shipping lanes that are too similar to others, or too short, are removed
- Traffic density is calculated based on shipping lane, station and settled planet proximity. This traffic density value alters the probability of USSs
- If you scan a body that has a mission POI on it, the POI will be revealed. The scan can come from the discovery scanner, or from scanning a nav beacon
- Changed data scans to be unique per location, so they cannot be continuously rescanned
- Unlinked minor faction reputation from their parent major faction reputation, now you will be neutral with an Empire minor faction even if you are allied with the Empire major faction
- Added the ability to scan a nav beacon to get the system exploration data for that system
- Added a 'cordial' minor faction reputation level
- Allow cargo to be transferred to a newly bought ship, if it has adequate cargo space
- Add Chopper's Orbital to Phiince system
- Updated translations
- Added named planets from Charity stream
- Added new player group minor faction descriptions
- Player inbox will hold a message until it has been deleted, or 30 days old
- Added Bluford Orbital to LHS 3447
- Canonn Research space science outpost added to COL 285 SECTOR IX-T D3-
- Overhaul & cleanup of how module penetration behaves, to allow multiple hits and various styles of AOE damage. All missiles now use external damage spheres
- Clock added to cockpit's info panel
- Added missing backer station
- Added option to reduce camera shake

- Xbox One: Purchased outfitting content added
- Xbox One: Private group support added

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

its_happening.gif

Also get your popcorn ready for the meltdowns related to:
- :qq:RNG:qq:
- :qq:grinding:qq:
- :qq:frontier needs to add more to do but not this:qq:
- :qq:silent running/muh playstyle:qq:
- :qq:no new ships:qq:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

:qq: no huge fragcannons :qq:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Excuse me you missed the most important change:

quote:

Audio – Discover scanner is now audible on other ships at close range

E: Beta client is live in the launcher for anyone else who paid too much money (hi).

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 5, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Helter Skelter posted:

E: Beta client is live in the launcher for anyone else who paid too much money (hi).

Oh my god that is the best change.

Also, yeah, I'm patching, let's see what this is all about

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

So I can mine and sell it to people now?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

quote:

- Some locations can have unique vouchers from scanning for larger rewards that can't be 'scummed'
I'm guessing you can scan barnacles now, or they added new secret alien things.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
- Replace the authored ring detail texture with a generated texture which is unique for every ringed planet and does not tile
- Scale frequency of detail texture on planet rings so that rings of differing breadths have uniform detail effects

I love this kind of crap. It's not something that's annoying, but it's also easy to notice when you're seeing it, and it getting fixed is awesome.

Procedural generation is the best thing :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
After reading the beta-announcement, I got excited because some engineers are apparently waiting for players to travel certain distances until they send you an invite.

Why is this exciting? For the longest time, my and many other players max distance has been stuck on the highest possible distance you can travel. Since I have "travelled" ~69k light years, I feel rather good about those guys. :smug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of beta, how is persistence between beta and live usually handled? I have the same stuff on beta as live, but I'm guessing it won't carry over?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Truga posted:

Speaking of beta, how is persistence between beta and live usually handled? I have the same stuff on beta as live, but I'm guessing it won't carry over?

Beta is a clone from the last server-wide save from Frontier and will be wiped when the beta ends. Feel free to go hog-wild and sell everything and buy back the biggest ship you can find.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Truga posted:

If previous betas are any indication they cloned your save a week or so back. They also reduce the price of everything in the beta by moving the decimal point one to the left (so an anaconda is 14 million credits).

Nothing you do carries back over to live.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
- NPC ships can use modified modules

I Unironically look forward to all those Elite Adders you see in RES also sporting the best in Engineers technology.

Hopefully escape pod missions failing practically (and literally) as soon as you take them was fixed, instead of them just slapping more NPC firepower around outposts.

- Missions are now rated by rank, not gated by them

Holy loving poo poo, that sounds pretty fabulous.

Still hoping wistfully for a way to consistently get Legal Space Cop type missions, instead of 90% of combat missions available causing a bounty with the Station giving you the mission in the first place.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Truga posted:

Oh my god that is the best change.

Also, yeah, I'm patching, let's see what this is all about

The hidden gem of these major updates is always the myriad of minor fixes and enhancements they've been sitting on forever. I presume they do this instead of releasing more minor patches to reduce QA rework.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

timn posted:

The hidden gem of these major updates is always the myriad of minor fixes and enhancements they've been sitting on forever. I presume they do this instead of releasing more minor patches to reduce QA rework.

:frontear:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

The exploration data display still has some minor bugs, of course. I've given up hope those will be fixed, instead I plan on profiting from them when 2.1 goes live.

Today I tried out the beta and got immediately flooded with invites from several explorer-engineers. Then the game crashed after plotting a course to one of them. :v:

Welp, at least I now have a reason to try out the beta, because I want to know what these guys can do.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

If you ever do this the titanic amount of heat you'll generate will probably instantly blow you up.

I fired medium Torpedoes at once off my Python and I want to say it spiked my heat up over 100%.

Still fun though.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
To the people worried that this was a pew-pew update, there are at least two engineers that give upgrades to your FSD and drives.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Efexeye posted:

So I can mine and sell it to people now?

Wait, what? Where do you see that?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

To the people worried that this was a pew-pew update, there are at least two engineers that give upgrades to your FSD and drives.

I need details on this.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
One of the most interesting things is going to be seeing how they've scaled mission rewards. Anyone in beta got high standings somewhere & can check out the rates at that level?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'd be so happy if I could get more $2,000,000 smuggling missions for the Frogs. It's annoying having to constantly cycle the boards in Mother Goat to find any.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

Wait, what? Where do you see that?

'- Mining resources can now create materials'

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I need details on this.

One of them is probably Felicia Farseer (at least that is one of the names I got before crashing). I'll try travelling to them later today, if no-one else is faster I'm bringing details then.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Efexeye posted:

'- Mining resources can now create materials'

Can you sell materials to other players? That's what I was gathering from your italicized "people".

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

I need details on this.

Both Felicity Farseer and Elvira Martuuk can upgrade your FSD. I can't tell you exactly what they do yet because you need to build rep with them before you can start getting the good upgrades.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

Can you sell materials to other players? That's what I was gathering from your italicized "people".

well I was asking! I don't know

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mike the TV posted:

Both Felicity Farseer and Elvira Martuuk can upgrade your FSD. I can't tell you exactly what they do yet because you need to build rep with them before you can start getting the good upgrades.

I picked a random engineer and headed there, and Farseer wants 1 ton of fish to unlock the (first?) thing.

I hope the FSD upgrade is good, because right now the only reason I'm not flying eagles and similar constantly is the dumb low jump range.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Akion posted:

I fired medium Torpedoes at once off my Python and I want to say it spiked my heat up over 100%.

Still fun though.

The python has incredibly bad head dissipation, so pretty much any loadout can push it beyond 100% heat pretty easily.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Helter Skelter posted:

Does this mean that I can follow people around and blow my space horn at them?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Lol, apparently if you have custom HUD colors it also alters the skin on NPC portraits

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Section Z posted:

Still hoping wistfully for a way to consistently get Legal Space Cop type missions, instead of 90% of combat missions available causing a bounty with the Station giving you the mission in the first place.
I'm pretty sure this is almost impossible given that missions outside of CZ missions are almost always in another system barring a few edge cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
But if missionrunning didn't poo poo up your reputation with the locals, there'd be no need for exploring!

• Locked thread