Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Its not real money for fucks sake. Also gj with whoever came out with the windows 98 look of evening games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

kaynorr posted:

Thank you for posting this, it is heartening so see some of the director thought processes in public.

This is personally extremely depressing, in the sense that the top dog in Eve is the one who can best exploit people with gambling addictions. To the order of "if that's what it takes, it's not worth it". I realize we pride ourselves on mastering the meta and all, but this borders on being unethical and immoral IMHO.

I've always found these gambling sites to be a cancer in most games - whether it's CS:GO, Dota, or Eve and I wish gaming companies would take a stronger stance on them instead of snuggling up for their own teat, but I recognize it is a lot of money.

If the company still wants that money, then just create the gambling platform and own it themselves, ban any third parties.

And yes, while the goods traded on the gambling site aren't real money, the goods and in-game currency translate into a lot of real money for the game developers.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

Except you rarely, if ever, said anything negative about him. Just admit it, you're a coward who was too limpdick to share any criticism of a guy you've had "exceedingly negative" opinions of for a long time to make sure you wouldn't get shat on because you can't handle any blowback due to your delicate ego. At least Deadtear isn't afraid to share his opinion of people he plays a game with unlike you.

And, since you've had issues with it in the past, I'll point out this is not a serious post.

Why are you being so angry, isn't that deadtear's job today? Or is deadtear real anger and not fake anger?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Despera posted:

Its not real money for fucks sake. Also gj with whoever came out with the windows 98 look of evening games.

I never found out if the differing chip numbers meant anything.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Unfunny Poster posted:

Except you should also always ignore anything dabigredboat says as a good piece of advice.

Also this. Just don't read his poo poo, he's a big fat dumbo.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Unfunny Poster posted:

At least Deadtear isn't afraid to share his opinion of people he plays a game with unlike you.

We can't all aspire to be deadtear

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Despera posted:

Also gj with whoever came out with the windows 98 look of evening games.

finally you say something agreeable

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I think one deadtear is enough for this world, just like one paco vato was enough

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drythe posted:

Why are you being so angry, isn't that deadtear's job today? Or is deadtear real anger and not fake anger?

I am following Deadtear's orders.

You should learn to read bucko.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Orange Red Bull posted:

I hope the powers that be know enough not to let them off the hook again ala VFK or B-R if an opportunity presents itself to buttfuck them again

Mister Vee always said Elise is a snake and hes right

Aint nobody trying to be frenemies but Mittens

Eh, I don't think we could have actually held PL over the fire after B-R. We had a war going on, and getting them to back out caused Nuli to fold faster than a sweatshop t-shirt shirt folder.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

I am following Deadtear's orders.

You should learn to read bucko.

It's hard, please teach me. :shobon:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I heard Elise wasn't a snake, but in fact a oval office. This was of course from something Kcolor said prior to him not understanding what real world friendships outside the game are like and needing Laz to explain it to him.

So maybe not the best person to listen to.

Add him to the list of people to ignore VideoGames.

Drythe posted:

It's hard, please teach me. :shobon:

You use your eyes and your brain.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

I never found out if the differing chip numbers meant anything.

There were plans to make the collections matter but those never got implemented.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gwrtheyrn posted:

We can't all aspire to be deadtear

True but for a 24 our period you can try.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

andromache posted:

I've always found these gambling sites to be a cancer in most games - whether it's CS:GO, Dota, or Eve and I wish gaming companies would take a stronger stance on them instead of snuggling up for their own teat, but I recognize it is a lot of money.

If the company still wants that money, then just create the gambling platform and own it themselves, ban any third parties.

And yes, while the goods traded on the gambling site aren't real money, the goods and in-game currency translate into a lot of real money for the game developers.

I would much rather they be out of the game entirely, it's not good that the most powerful thing you can control in eve is entirely unattackable in game. But a decade of experience with CCP says the best way to get something bad for the game banned is to abuse it ourselves.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

goninzo posted:

So Much Help

This was wonderful and is helping to illuminate me in this fantastically fun game! Thank you :D

Also Syndic, I think you asked if you could join and the answer is yes! My corp is for alts and mains and all manner of people. We can all chill in the stars.

ALSO, I have a public chat channel for those who wanted to chat but not be part of the corp! Phew! So much going on today! I also rented my first office :D I can't believe I only started playing this two weeks ago.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evilweasel posted:

I would much rather they be out of the game entirely, it's not good that the most powerful thing you can control in eve is entirely unattackable in game. But a decade of experience with CCP says the best way to get something bad for the game banned is to abuse it ourselves.

Or accuse people of breaking the law, as well as anyone who used the site and cry on reddit about people saying it was a poo poo argument. That's something you tried already. :v:

VideoGames posted:

This was wonderful and is helping to illuminate me in this fantastically fun game! Thank you :D

Also Syndic, I think you asked if you could join and the answer is yes! My corp is for alts and mains and all manner of people. We can all chill in the stars.

ALSO, I have a public chat channel for those who wanted to chat but not be part of the corp! Phew! So much going on today! I also rented my first office :D I can't believe I only started playing this two weeks ago.

There's a chat channel in-game that Goons across the game use. I'll ping you on discord with it.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 5, 2016

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Incoming effort post:

The reason why you see a lot of people leaving and throwing lots of poo poo as they leave is because it is always easier to throw the responsibility of change on others. When it comes to making poo poo better the most effective solution is almost always "be the change you want to see" but it's :effort: . If you don't really give a poo poo there's nothing stopping you from writing up a big ol' GOODBYE NERDS I HATE YOU post and leaving for the nearest greener pasture then getting showered in karma and appreciation from the public. Now this isn't to say everyone who leaves doesn't care, but they are leaving because they amount they care isn't enough for them to care to fix what they think is wrong. That coupled with the reward one receives from throwing poo poo after leaving means the incentive to just say "gently caress it you all suck" and leave is higher than the incentive to stay and fix poo poo.

Ultimately this war is nothing new to me, I lived with stainwagon for a decent amount of time and Iv experienced the cycle of losing space and retreating till your enemy gets bored and moving back in more than once. The amount of insane Sky Is Falling Posting I see all the time is annoying in the extreme because it's just baseless speculation that if you thought about for more than 5 minutes you would realize is silly. I assume this is what people are talking about when they refer to Summer Children, but tbh it's more or less a case of people not paying any attention then getting mad when they don't know what's going on. Iv seen way more older members flip the gently caress out lately than newer members. Like DJ in a nutshell is him A. Not paying any attention whatsoever to the situation and B. reacting like an idiot to a situation that doesn't exist. You can't fix an issue like that when the person is already wrapped themselves in the cloak of self-righteousness.

In the Immortal Words of Garnt: You can either waste your time chasing the old days and try and capture lightning in a bottle or try and make something new. Id much rather our direction be something new and interesting than just having a circlejerk to try and appease the old bittervets who stopped giving a crap a long time ago.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Despera posted:

Its not real money for fucks sake.

You're an idiot. Go look up PLEX, then go look up gambling addiction, then ask somebody with the mental capacity of a five year old to explain it to you.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

evilweasel posted:

I would much rather they be out of the game entirely

Im sure ccp did an internal cost-benefit analysis a long time ago with these gamble lords and decided they are worth keeping around until the uproar gets too big.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Venom Snake posted:

Incoming effort post:

The reason why you see a lot of people leaving and throwing lots of poo poo as they leave is because it is always easier to throw the responsibility of change on others. When it comes to making poo poo better the most effective solution is almost always "be the change you want to see" but it's :effort: . If you don't really give a poo poo there's nothing stopping you from writing up a big ol' GOODBYE NERDS I HATE YOU post and leaving for the nearest greener pasture then getting showered in karma and appreciation from the public. Now this isn't to say everyone who leaves doesn't care, but they are leaving because they amount they care isn't enough for them to care to fix what they think is wrong. That coupled with the reward one receives from throwing poo poo after leaving means the incentive to just say "gently caress it you all suck" and leave is higher than the incentive to stay and fix poo poo.

Ultimately this war is nothing new to me, I lived with stainwagon for a decent amount of time and Iv experienced the cycle of losing space and retreating till your enemy gets bored and moving back in more than once. The amount of insane Sky Is Falling Posting I see all the time is annoying in the extreme because it's just baseless speculation that if you thought about for more than 5 minutes you would realize is silly. I assume this is what people are talking about when they refer to Summer Children, but tbh it's more or less a case of people not paying any attention then getting mad when they don't know what's going on. Iv seen way more older members flip the gently caress out lately than newer members. Like DJ in a nutshell is him A. Not paying any attention whatsoever to the situation and B. reacting like an idiot to a situation that doesn't exist. You can't fix an issue like that when the person is already wrapped themselves in the cloak of self-righteousness.

In the Immortal Words of Garnt: You can either waste your time chasing the old days and try and capture lightning in a bottle or try and make something new. Id much rather our direction be something new and interesting than just having a circlejerk to try and appease the old bittervets who stopped giving a crap a long time ago.

This was the same post made on BNI's director forums during their whole issue where their leadership drove out people who were useful because they couldn't handle criticism.

I hope you learn from this piece of information Venom Snake.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Venom Snake posted:

The amount of insane Sky Is Falling Posting I see all the time is annoying in the extreme because it's just baseless speculation that if you thought about for more than 5 minutes you would realize is silly.

Same-ish. I've lived in every corner of the galaxy, went through the same poo poo multiple times. Nothing here is new. I was wondering who were gonna be the "gently caress this, poo poo's hard" people to peace out. I don't really find it extremely annoying, just kind of annoying and funny.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

You use your eyes and your brain.

What is bran?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Eminai posted:

You're an idiot. Go look up PLEX, then go look up gambling addiction, then ask somebody with the mental capacity of a five year old to explain it to you.

you mad bra?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

CainFortea posted:

I can't remember who said it, but i'm gonna quote em.

"It's really easy to speak for the silent majority, they rarely speak up to refute you."

I know some of the directors, and chat with them. I didn't even know Endie was Batcountry until he left and posted his thing. And the fact that he went to join the other bitter ex-girlfriends in PL just kinda sealed the deal. I always like his posts, the man's got a way with words. But I see nothing troubling here. He was the one that wanted the "dirty laundry" aired. Well, now people are being able to say the nasty poo poo he was doing. It's a two way street. If you think someone's being nasty and lovely and say so, don't expect them to continue to ignore the things they feel are nasty or lovely.

It was easy to miss the Bat Country thing as I was in goonwaffe/fleet since 2007: I reformed bat (which was originally my empire war side project for when I got bored shooting POSes in the great war) when we desperately needed numbers in order to recover after the Syndicate/Cloud Ring war, and for a long time I was pretty hands-off there. I only asked for my bee to get changed over in something like early 2014 or so, I think, mainly to help with recruiting since for some reason it seemed to help.

I don't know what you mean about me wanting to see the '"dirty laundry" aired', but it sounds like you might be confusing me being leaked in a private convo with some grand plan "this is suggested by the active "posted his thing" misunderstanding). I've not log-dumped stuff like TSC, and I've tried to stop others doing so, because those channels were groups of (at the time) friends, some of whom said stuff to their friends that would be mortifying to have made public, and that would be wrong. And despite what you say about "nasty poo poo" I haven't really seen much of that happen: there were a few very silly things tried early on but in the main, outside of the SA thread (which is always one post away from an evening charity spergathon, people on both sides of the divide have actually been pretty restrained in general, in public at least. I get mentioned in most of the firesides but I find that kinda flattering, and most experienced folks view it as essentially a pantomime thing.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

evilweasel posted:

It's not worth it - abusing bullshit game mechanics to torment our peer Internet Spaceship Players is one thing, running an out-of-game gambling site which by definition preys on gambling addiction to one degree or another is something else. Being top dog isn't worth that.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drythe posted:

What is bran?

It's a cool thing. You should try and get one off Evilweasel, his posts show he hasn't used it in a long time. :v:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nah dude, the whole anti gambling thing is because goons care about addiction and its consequences not because they make a lot of isk.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Orange Red Bull posted:

Im sure ccp did an internal cost-benefit analysis a long time ago with these gamble lords and decided they are worth keeping around until the uproar gets too big.

yeah, this is pretty much the case

the money they get from plex -> isk from people with real life gambling problems is worth more to them than the game balance issues or other such "soft" problems

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Despera posted:

Nah dude, the whole anti gambling thing is because goons care about addiction and its consequences not because they make a lot of isk.

:frogout:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Glory of Arioch posted:

yeah, this is pretty much the case

the money they get from plex -> isk from people with real life gambling problems is worth more to them than the game balance issues or other such "soft" problems

I'm sure most if not all the people on Iwantisk are people who lost their life savings on three ishtars and a crour

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Orange Red Bull posted:

No doubt. And while it's the sort of thing that's really obviously dumb, there's not going to be a sort of general uproar until it's no longer a partisan thing (either IWI gets bored and wanders off, or we have our own).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

kaynorr posted:

It's not worth it - abusing bullshit game mechanics to torment our peer Internet Spaceship Players is one thing, running an out-of-game gambling site which by definition preys on gambling addiction to one degree or another is something else. Being top dog isn't worth that.

That's another good point worth considering.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

dabigredboat posted:

I never said Kimsemus doxxed me? What kind of crack are you smoking. Kimsemus is the guy that comes around once a month to an eve thread to go "Hey remember I still hate dbrb and need to post about this one time he removed my friend from a game guild because he was a pedo". That is all.

You're an irredeemable moron:

quote:

DaBigRedBoat [1:46 PM]

when you have an SA random that joined for guild from nc.dot trying to find out my real name from other goons so he can report me as a child pedo supporter, its pretty hosed up

You were a muck stirring piece of poo poo with a sense of unwarranted self importance pretty much from the moment you joined the AA guild, a guild which you had absolutely no hand in creating or put an ounce of work into, and yet you felt entitled enough to whisper every officer from the minute you joined trying to get control of it. You and gicer basically hit SPERGCON 1 as soon as you realized people outside of EVE don't give a poo poo about what happens inside EVE (and are well adjusted enough people to keep EVE drama in game), so you spent most of your time spamming the equivalent of REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE in rage on IRC and sneaking BFM back into the guild, whilst manufacturing controversy every chance you got.

You've posted about 8 times since you joined SA, you're not even a part of this community, you're just some idiot who enjoys calling people J4Gs despite being some refugee from a webcomic forum who is good at whelping interceptors in the wrong region a lot during a war. That is when you're not sitting in various jabber channels ranting about SJWs, justfying doxxing, how everything is a big conspiracy, and pitifully illustrating just how debilitating fetal alcohol syndrome can be on someone.

And when people outside of your hugbox rightly and roundly mocked you for your lovely behavior, you decided to take drama you created to an entirely absurd level, getting me and others banned from every community you had influence in, GSF included, by flat out lying to people. You violated pretty much THE core tenant of the blacklist by using it as a personal weapon to settle an entirely personal vendetta that existed in only your head, and then you flat out LIE, just like you were caught here, to save face.

I never doxxed you and I never tried, mostly because you're beneath me and I should probably just tell you to shut the gently caress up like every other sane person here, but I really felt it was important to articulate just how much of a cancer you are. I would say you're literally the only goon I've met online or off that I haven't been able to make friends with, but I don't think you qualify. You're more like a barely sentient caricature of a human being that basically just does awful poo poo because you were never properly socialized or hugged enough, idk.

tl;dr shut the gently caress up DBRB :toot:

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 5, 2016

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Endie posted:

It was easy to miss the Bat Country thing as I was in goonwaffe/fleet since 2007: I reformed bat (which was originally my empire war side project for when I got bored shooting POSes in the great war) when we desperately needed numbers in order to recover after the Syndicate/Cloud Ring war, and for a long time I was pretty hands-off there. I only asked for my bee to get changed over in something like early 2014 or so, I think, mainly to help with recruiting since for some reason it seemed to help.

I don't know what you mean about me wanting to see the '"dirty laundry" aired', but it sounds like you might be confusing me being leaked in a private convo with some grand plan "this is suggested by the active "posted his thing" misunderstanding). I've not log-dumped stuff like TSC, and I've tried to stop others doing so, because those channels were groups of (at the time) friends, some of whom said stuff to their friends that would be mortifying to have made public, and that would be wrong. And despite what you say about "nasty poo poo" I haven't really seen much of that happen: there were a few very silly things tried early on but in the main, outside of the SA thread (which is always one post away from an evening charity spergathon, people on both sides of the divide have actually been pretty restrained in general, in public at least. I get mentioned in most of the firesides but I find that kinda flattering, and most experienced folks view it as essentially a pantomime thing.

shut up goldstein :mad:

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

shut up goldstein :mad:

heh I did almost mention the Sunday two minute hate element

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

You don't have to hold back, Kim. Tell us how you really feel.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Kimsemus posted:

some refugee from a webcomic forum who is good at whelping

whelping is like, birthing dude

you mean welping

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Holy poo poo, legitimately calm down. Today is fake fun anger, not real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Drythe posted:

Holy poo poo, legitimately calm down. Today is fake fun anger, not real.

I'm as calm as a hindu cow, I just wanted there to be no question about how I felt. :toot:

• Locked thread