Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I played the overwatch beta and enjoyed it a lot i will be buying the game because of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its a fun FPS game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Overwatch finished downloading but I've got an episode of a podcast to finish writing and recording :sweatdrop:

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I picked up Battlefleet Gothic and am having a blast.

I want to play this but I'm not sure my computer will run it well.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I will not buy overwatch because I am not interested in it, but I hope the game is fun and good for all of the people who are going to buy it :D

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

I will not buy overwatch because I am not interested in it, but I hope the game is fun and good for all of the people who are going to buy it :D

Same. Gonna play the beta and be satisfied

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I seriously can't understand how Overwatch is so much fun. My roommate is taking a stand against how long the beta was by not buying the game even though he thinks it looks really good, which I think is hilarious.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mr E posted:

I seriously can't understand how Overwatch is so much fun. My roommate is taking a stand against how long the beta was by not buying the game even though he thinks it looks really good, which I think is hilarious.

:psyduck: how is a long beta anything but a win-win? Good games often take a long time to balance correctly and get right. Does he think that they would have released it sooner if they hadn't had so many betas? Or they could have released it sooner with less testing, and I don't see how that's better. This way they took the time they needed to make a good game, and some people got to play it in the process.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
He's mad that its too short?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Snak posted:

:psyduck: how is a long beta anything but a win-win? Good games often take a long time to balance correctly and get right. Does he think that they would have released it sooner if they hadn't had so many betas? Or they could have released it sooner with less testing, and I don't see how that's better. This way they took the time they needed to make a good game, and some people got to play it in the process.

The term beta doesn't really mean anything anymore. Blizzard isn't beta testing anything 5 days before their game comes out, it's just a way to drum up pre orders and extra sales.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

The term beta doesn't really mean anything anymore. Blizzard isn't beta testing anything 5 days before their game comes out, it's just a way to drum up pre orders and extra sales.

He was talking about the long closed beta. There was a lot of fiddling and balance changes during that.

The open beta is obviously marketing though (along with a server stress test).

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 5, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

You really don't think it has value as a server stress test? If people can all get on the servers for 3 days for the beta, surely that means that release weekend won't take the servers down either?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They've been doing server stress testing during this beta. They made some post yesterday or the day before about some server instability as they fix the problems that cropped up from the influx of players.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Overwatch is okay. I'd still much rather be playing TF2, or at least TF2 as it exists in my memories, which admittedly might be pretty far from how the game is now.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I have been loving playing Overwatch as a person who has 1,000 hours in TF2

it helps that I'm playing on console and regularly go something like 14:3 and get Play of the Game and all that kind of poo poo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The world needs more demos

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

The world needs more demos

The best demo of any game ever just came out, but it was actually an Alpha test and it ends today. :'(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Snak posted:

You really don't think it has value as a server stress test? If people can all get on the servers for 3 days for the beta, surely that means that release weekend won't take the servers down either?

Maybe, but I feel like 90% of online heavy games have broken servers at launch regardless, because it's the one time in the game's lifetime with a poo poo ton of players. The only game I can think of that had good online that worked at launch was Splatoon

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Andrast posted:

He was talking about the long closed beta. There was a lot of fiddling and balance changes during that.

The open beta is obviously marketing though (along with a server stress test).

The long closed beta was a great move though. There's been a lot of balancing changes that resulted from feedback that they wouldn't have gotten from internal testing. I think they did a bunch of player retention testing by letting in small waves and seeing how quickly would stop playing and what they did/encountered.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Snak posted:

He's convinced the game could have been released back in the fall. He's probably not wrong, but then it wouldn't be near as polished.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

people who "boycott" stupid videogame poo poo as if it gives them some sort of nerd cred are loving hilarious

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Maybe, but I feel like 90% of online heavy games have broken servers at launch regardless, because it's the one time in the game's lifetime with a poo poo ton of players. The only game I can think of that had good online that worked at launch was Splatoon

Yeah but, hypothetically, if you didn't want that to happen, a simulated launch weekend would be a good way to check, right? Sure the game has probably "gone gold", but they can probably still allocate servers. They are loving Blizzard, I assume the have a massive network of servers to support all their poo poo, and they can probably retask some from their pool as needed for the launch of their new game. But they still need to know what they need.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr E posted:

He's convinced the game could have been released back in the fall. He's probably not wrong, but then it wouldn't be near as polished.

Isn't this just how Blizzard does things? Like, he's probably right that the game could've been released in the fall, but Blizzard has always been a "when it's ready" developer.

I mean, that doesn't always work out--we all remember Diablo III--but it's probably for the best. I'd generally prefer that a game take too long to come out than to come out before it's totally polished (hi, Dark Souls III!).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 5, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I dont see the allure. I played a ton of the original hl mod as a kid but i had the time to kill running with random people and no voice coordination just loving around for hours. Now i only really play fighters online for pvp gaming because i dont have to get a crew together to play correctly. I played and enjoyed all the big mp shooter demos over the last year cause they are free so all the people i know get in on them and are willing to play anytime due to the time limit but that cant last, back to sfv and drop in drop out stuff like souls i go i guess. Enjoy the game friendhavers

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

people who "boycott" stupid videogame poo poo as if it gives them some sort of nerd cred are loving hilarious

Agreed, which is why me and the rest of our friends were making fun of him last night at the pub.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I can't bring myself to put Mad Max's shirt back on now that I've taken it off so he sort of looks like a homeless Naked Snake.

just playin' a game where a shirtless dude wrestles with some other shirtless dudes in the sand

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I confused Overwatch, a Fun-Looking TF2-esque thingy, with Battleborn, an Ehhhhhh-Looking MOBA-Borderlands-thingy

shameful

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I can't bring myself to put Mad Max's shirt back on now that I've taken it off so he sort of looks like a homeless Naked Snake.

just playin' a game where a shirtless dude wrestles with some other shirtless dudes in the sand

Mad Max is a seriously underrated sandbox game, it beats the poo poo out of the past few AssCreeds

Speaking of sandboxes is Just Cause 3 worth it? I get suspicious when games have price drops so soon after release

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Monkey Fracas posted:

I confused Overwatch, a Fun-Looking TF2-esque thingy, with Battleborn, an Ehhhhhh-Looking MOBA-Borderlands-thingy

shameful

Nah thats most people until this week

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

shameful

Don't forget about Lawbreakers which is the same thing and Paragon which is also kind of the same thing

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Paragon and Battleborn are different games. Huh. I may not actually know a single thing about Battleborn. Or Paragon. One of them.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

precision posted:

Mad Max is a seriously underrated sandbox game, it beats the poo poo out of the past few AssCreeds

Speaking of sandboxes is Just Cause 3 worth it? I get suspicious when games have price drops so soon after release

I wish there were randomized emergent convoys once you beat the game or something. Kinda feels empty by the time you beat the main storyline.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The ground combat in Mad Max is kind of bland but it sorrrrrtaaaa makes up for it with Fury RoadMode where you start hearing a bunch of random car engine noises and Max replaces his standard punches with dropkicks and suplexes and poo poo

The game was fine but came at a point in time for me when I was sick of sandbox games and probably wouldn't have played it if not for the setting really

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

HMS Boromir posted:

Overwatch is okay. I'd still much rather be playing TF2, or at least TF2 as it exists in my memories, which admittedly might be pretty far from how the game is now.

Tf2 was a lovely clone of quake 2 class mods. You child with your children games that you think did it first!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

some guy in the overwatch thread posted:

Move forward - Mouse 2
Back - Z
Left - X
Right - C
Duck - V
Jump - Space
Primary fire - Mouse 1
:catstare:

I thought I was weird for using inverted aim on controllers

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

precision posted:

mad max literally beats the poo poo out of asscreed in that it's so much more brutal than most 3rd person bat-combat clones, too.

I have JC3 on PS4 and buying it digitally was the worst purchase ever. It's a fine game I'm sure if you play it on PC, but on consoles it might be the worst game I've ever played in terms of FPS and loadtimes.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Nasgate posted:

What item did you sell if I may ask. One of the winter chest super rares?

It was the faceless void hammer that was straight up copied from some korean mmo. I held onto it too long, it used to go for 100 bucks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mad Max's biggest problem is how hosed the in-game economy is. You're expected to scour the map for stashes that have 3 to 12 pieces of junk apiece, even in the endgame when you need thousands of junk pieces to upgrade things.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I'll be playing overwatch because my brother is really into it and he bugs me like every 10 minutes to see if I have started/finished downloading overwatch so we can play it together. I'm not really into Fps's, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

No Such Thing posted:

I'll be playing overwatch because my brother is really into it and he bugs me like every 10 minutes to see if I have started/finished downloading overwatch so we can play it together. I'm not really into Fps's, tho.

You can be the turret robot that cant move!

• Locked thread