Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jack's Flow posted:

I watched the entire 1st season again over the past three days. Fudging awesome!

Me too, one thing I noticed was that the joke density was really low in the first four episodes. It's funny, but not afraid-to-laugh-because-you're-worried-you'll-miss-jokes funny. It picks up as it goes a long, I'd say 5 is the first really good UKS episode, and it stays up there (I like the trial arc a lot more than most people) but it never gets as rapid fire as it is in season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm actually pretty into the trial arc too, i just hated whenever the oj lawyers were on screen because drat does repeating an already tired joke make it even more annoying

i know people get down on the whole 'dumb hick town' aspect of that arc but it was a little necessary to hit home that the charismatic reverend was gonna get away with this poo poo unless kimmy came and found some evidence he couldn't talk his way out of

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I was hoping the cable guy spray painting the wall had a Kabletown logo, but I couldn't see it.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

zoux posted:

Me too, one thing I noticed was that the joke density was really low in the first four episodes. It's funny, but not afraid-to-laugh-because-you're-worried-you'll-miss-jokes funny. It picks up as it goes a long, I'd say 5 is the first really good UKS episode, and it stays up there (I like the trial arc a lot more than most people) but it never gets as rapid fire as it is in season 2.

I didn't like the trial episodes at first, but season 2 makes the reverend charming the jury horrifying. That bit with the phone call at the end made me shudder.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I didn't like the trial episodes at first, but season 2 makes the reverend charming the jury horrifying. That bit with the phone call at the end made me shudder.

It's actually a beast of a performance from Jon Hamm, who walks this line between charming doofus and manipulative monster.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

It's actually a beast of a performance from Jon Hamm, who walks this line between charming doofus and manipulative monster.

Yeah, it's a good representation of a show that has such a happy veneer over a backstory that's dark as gently caress.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
My favorite meta aspect of the reverend is that tviv goons were tying themselves into knots saying how no way did the reverend do weird sex stuff to the mole women or be all that of a repulsive monster because Jon Hamm wouldn't play him that way missing completely the point of them hiring charismatic hunky funny man Jon Hamm and how he charmed the jury

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Agreed. While in season one it was stated that there was 'weird sex stuff in the bunker' the Reverend didn't seem all that menacing. He was more eccentric and a bit of a loser. Season two has shown Kimmy has serious issues about sex, that she has full on PTSD, and is full of horrifying stories about eating worms and fighting off the Reverend while he was practising cocaine fuelled karate. Jon Hamm definitely played him darker this season in his brief appearances.

How does this show still manage to be so funny?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

BJPaskoff posted:

I knew that sounded familiar! I couldn't stop running it by in my head after I heard the name LaDonica mentioned. Definitely intentional.

It's actually completely accidental. Tina Fey has a serious disability/disease that restricts her ability to think of any name besides "LaDonica". The rest of the cast's names were improvised by the actors themselves. There's a lot of bloopers on the season one vhs where Tina's character can't stop calling everyone Ladonica, in the end they just got a sound-a-like to dub over her voice, you can still see her lips mouth "LaDonica".

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I really love weird/hard to say sentences, so I loved when Titus Ronald had to keep repeating "I start work Monday at Vonda's uncle' mulch business".

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Loved the season (more than the first in many ways), and it taught me that that Anna Camp is a fox and should've been in more of the episodes. Yowza. :swoon:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

MisterBibs posted:

Loved the season (more than the first in many ways), and it taught me that that Anna Camp is a fox and should've been in more of the episodes. Yowza. :swoon:

Yeah, Louisiana Hot Sauce should be in every show.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vvc6B49o6SA

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

Yeah, Louisiana Hot Sauce should be in every show.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vvc6B49o6SA

Hawddamn.

Related to the women on the show and being superficial, it's kinda weirding me out on bordering-on-subliminal level that Jane Krakowski has gotten old enough to play a over-the-hill trophy wife. Her being the Cute Chick on Ally McBeal wasn't that long ago, was it? Was it?!

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

MisterBibs posted:

Hawddamn.

Related to the women on the show and being superficial, it's kinda weirding me out on bordering-on-subliminal level that Jane Krakowski has gotten old enough to play a over-the-hill trophy wife. Her being the Cute Chick on Ally McBeal wasn't that long ago, was it? Was it?!

Was she supposed to be the Cute Chick on Ally McBeal? I thought she was the Quirky Assistant and literally every other woman on the show was Cute/Hot Chick. When 30 Rock started I thought she actually looked better there than she did on Ally McBeal but that might be a late 90's thing. Looking at pictures just now I realized it's her hair. I don't like her with super curly hair, she looks better with staright/wavy hair in my opinion.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I thought Flockhart was the cute chick, Lucy Liu was the hot one, and Portia de Rossi was the ice queen. Or am I getting confused? The only parts of McBeal I've seen in like 15 years are the clips from RDJ's guest appearances that come up whenever someone on the internet wants to make a big deal out of him being able to sing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Related to the women on the show and being superficial, it's kinda weirding me out on bordering-on-subliminal level that Jane Krakowski has gotten old enough to play a over-the-hill trophy wife.
She turned 30?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Gaz-L posted:

I thought Flockhart was the cute chick, Lucy Liu was the hot one, and Portia de Rossi was the ice queen. Or am I getting confused? The only parts of McBeal I've seen in like 15 years are the clips from RDJ's guest appearances that come up whenever someone on the internet wants to make a big deal out of him being able to sing.

I think Jane Krakowski was the generic slutty/crazy chick in Ally McBeal. She was always trying to get attention by singing and plotting crazy schemes. She was pretty much a poor, non - famous version of Jenna in that show.

Ally McBeal was loving terrible. I watched a few of them on Netflix. The best bit was when her daughter, who she didn't know existed, turned up for the last series.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SEX BURRITO posted:

She was pretty much a poor, non - famous version of Jenna in that show.

Well, I'm sold.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What the hell does Gretchen call those muppet knock offs in episode 4?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Morpets

gregday
May 23, 2003

I feel like "Run, Lillian!" Has been foreshadowing her running for office all season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

gregday posted:

I feel like "Run, Lillian!" Has been foreshadowing her running for office all season.

Lillian as Vermin Supreme would be a good plot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Mann posted:

Goddam this part still murders me, even if GIF form. All of the Mentos jokes throughout that episode were on point.

the Mentos in the Coke was hilarious.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

gregday posted:

MAYOR KAUSHTUPPER STILL AT LARGE: POLICE BAFFLED

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

I heard it as poorpets. Someone watch with subtitles and settle this!

Also, someone online noted that Gretchen looks quite a bit like Michelle Duggar. Can't stop seeing it now.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SEX BURRITO posted:

I heard it as poorpets. Someone watch with subtitles and settle this!

I, uh, did. :kiddo:

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
That little prayer motion/dance thing Titus did in episode 9 after showing Kimmy the broken cassingle actually made me weak with laughter. Like, I couldn't lift up my arms, I was laughing so hard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I agree!

I wanted Titus' reactions to the RAPE page but the sequence would be too butchered to fit as an avatar.

Luckily that happened.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Graviija posted:

That little prayer motion/dance thing Titus did in episode 9 after showing Kimmy the broken cassingle actually made me weak with laughter. Like, I couldn't lift up my arms, I was laughing so hard.

The best one was his failed attempt at signing the cross at the dinner table.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
That's what really makes the show for me, the little things like that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm so glad this wasn't revealed to be a prop or something by another member of Mikey's family. Nope, this is an actual person.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I haven't made it through the season yet but holy poo poo Lisa Kudrow is like only a slight rasp away from sounding exactly like Roseann.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Doctor Butts posted:

I haven't made it through the season yet but holy poo poo Lisa Kudrow is like only a slight rasp away from sounding exactly like Roseann.

What? She's only in the last episode.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

She was a voice in the cartoon too.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

:ughh: I should have realized she was the fairy godmother.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

What tha.....

jscolon2.0 posted:

:ughh: I should have realized she was the fairy godmother.

How the hell did I miss that?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

jscolon2.0 posted:

What? She's only in the last episode.

I didn't realize until it was over and Netflix wanted me to watch something about Chelsea that it was the last episode :(

Show went by so fast.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

How many times has the "I milked the cow!" "That was a bull" "no it's fine see I got the milk you're drinking it" joke been done?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

That DICK! posted:

How many times has the "I milked the cow!" "That was a bull" "no it's fine see I got the milk you're drinking it" joke been done?

A few times -- it was a big joke in Kingpin -- but it's all in the delivery, and the mother's reaction sold it like it was brand new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

So I am finally watching 30 Rock and all it is doing is reinforcing my belief I should marry Tina Fey, she is a nice Greek lady and my family would approve.

And god, Jane Krakowski is so good in everything always.

• Locked thread