Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

There's a similar established system at race2play.com which I used for a bit before I jumped to iRacing. If this actually works it could be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Very disappointed in the lack of complete meltdowns in regards to rF2 moving to Steam-only.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GhostDog posted:

Very disappointed in the lack of complete meltdowns in regards to rF2 moving to Steam-only.

That would require anyone caring about rFactor 2. Though there are some hilarious rage threads on the ISI forums.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
What do you guys recommend if I just want to play dirt rally casually? I thought the g27 would be a fine choice but I can't find them for sale anymore, and the g29 doesn't include a gearshift and shelling out even more for that doesn't seem like it's worth it. And the t300rs is really pricey if I'm buying the h shift and 3 pedal set. I guess I'm really looking for an affordable wheel with clutch pedals and a H shift so I can pretend I'm actually driving a stick shift car.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The G27 is really the only wheel that comes with 3 pedals and a shifter. You'd have to find one used though which is getting hard.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Justin Time! posted:

What do you guys recommend if I just want to play dirt rally casually? I thought the g27 would be a fine choice but I can't find them for sale anymore, and the g29 doesn't include a gearshift and shelling out even more for that doesn't seem like it's worth it. And the t300rs is really pricey if I'm buying the h shift and 3 pedal set. I guess I'm really looking for an affordable wheel with clutch pedals and a H shift so I can pretend I'm actually driving a stick shift car.

The G27 is probably still your best bet if you want that third pedal and H-box, but it's harder to find (especially new) than it used to be. Amazon got cleared out on Black Friday when it was $191 and since then it's been price gouge city. :(

A cursory Google turned up a few reasonable prices, albeit from stores I've never heard of:

https://www.bigboxlive.com/logitech-g27-racing-wheel?language=en&currency=USD
http://www.duckdeals.com/logitech-g27-racing-wheel?language=en&currency=USD

Other than that, check eBay and your local Craigslist for used.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
I don't live in the US so finding used wheels is a bit harder, but if the g27 is the only reasonable option I suppose it's time to get searching.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

T300 and pedals usd 400 for setup
Driving force gt $100 or so used but 2 pedals and onky sequential shifting

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I'm in the mood for some Nascar, is my best option still to go with NASCAR 2003?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Abu Dave posted:

If I'm in the mood for some Nascar, is my best option still to go with NASCAR 2003?

It's either that or iRacing yeah. rFactor 2 has stock cars but the AI is still stupidly slow.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are the Activision NASCAR games anything but terrible? Not too worried about super simulation just want to race ovals.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

GhostDog posted:

I have to fill in a form now.

Sigh.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Are the Activision NASCAR games anything but terrible? Not too worried about super simulation just want to race ovals.

They're poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Eutechnix games are apparently not terrible, might be worth at least trying the Nascar '15 demo on Steam.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The eutechnix games are bad 14 was buggy and had major issues and 15 is reskinned 14. It may be okay if you want a turn left with a controller experience, but I'd you want decent simulation you'll need to wait for 16 I think 16 ia the new (old good eutechnix staff) studios attempt at nascar.

doughboy1013
Apr 4, 2011

GhostDog posted:

Have to condense my 15 separate installs (due to different leagues running different versions with different mods with different plugins) down to one. Oh noes.

Good thing endurance racing isn't a clusterfuck... oh wait.

Time to toss some money at iRacing, I guess.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

There's a new publisher for 16 headed by a former Hasbro Interactive CEO and Ed Martin who has worked at Papyrus, EA, Hasbro and Eutechnyx. They haven't said anything about 16 since last December but said "the developer working on the game has an outstanding history with the NASCAR franchise."

If I had to guess I'd say it's Monster Games, otherwise they're lying and hired the old Eutechnyx team.

Anyway, NR2003 is definitely the way to go for a NASCAR sim right now.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

The Forza Apex beta is out!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even without wheel support, I know what I'm playing around with tonight.

19GB download. :v:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks for this fingers crossed I can stream it and use inputs from the steam box, this may be a perfect on the couch racing game.

is there a way I can pic a driuve, I'd rather not have this in my windows (SSD) drive, I'd rather have it on my game drive.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 5, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tater_salad posted:

is there a way I can pic a driuve, I'd rather not have this in my windows (SSD) drive, I'd rather have it on my game drive.

They have instructions on the page:

quote:

DEFAULT INSTALL LOCATION: Forza Motorsport 6: Apex will install to the default location set by your device. To see where the game will install as default, press the Windows key, type “Storage” and then select ‘Storage.’ Here you can choose which drive apps will save to by default.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm going to be that guy and wait till they add wheel support. :colbert:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm gonna download it and try it, because I like Forza.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

They have instructions on the page:

Great thanks I would have assumed that this setting would have been in the windows store window somewhere silly me.
I actually had everything set to that drive, but somewhere somehow it changed.
I was also getting an error that means permissions are all F'd up, which also was fixed by picking the 2tb drive.
Why is Microsoft so awful?

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 5, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They are going to have to scrap this whole consolized intro if they ever want to compete in the PC market. It works on xbox because it might be someone's first racing game, but someone on PC probably knows how to control a race car and isn't interested in being forced to drive in baby mode for the first race. It takes about 15 minutes before you're even able to change a setting. Once you're in the game though, it's forza but on PC. if they can build this up to the amount of content Forza 5 has (maybe even cross play?) it should be pretty good and competitive. But first fix the intro.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The issue with Forza 6's intro was something I complained out last year. The same argument holds water even for a console game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They should have recognized that my gamertag has achievements for the first Forza, so I probably don't need told how to play a racing game.

It could at least ask me which I prefer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Greenawalt's response when I complained about that last time around: https://twitter.com/dan_greenawalt/status/639985402271522816

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I know there's no wheel support for now but has Microsoft at least hinted that they might try to add it in later?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ratmtattat posted:

I know there's no wheel support for now but has Microsoft at least hinted that they might try to add it in later?

I've seen quotes saying they would like to, but haven't really committed to actually doing it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ratmtattat posted:

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm6_apex_beta_announce

quote:

As development continues, players can expect to see updates and improvements to the game.

For example, wheel support is coming to Forza Motorsport 6: Apex and Turn 10 is busy working to ensure that Apex delivers the kind of wheel support, performance, and features that racing fans expect from a range of available hardware. In addition we plan to support additional features that we know are important to PC gamers, such as the ability to disable Vsync and an in-app framerate counter.

So wheel support is confirmed, vsync control and overlays are "planned"

edit: Is there some default throttle in the Windows Store or do their servers just suck? I have 250mbit internet and Steam will happily crush it all day every day, but I'm getting about 15mbit/sec on this.

edit2: Turns out the Windows Store is on IPv6, but since my ISP does not I'm using a Tunnelbroker setup, and that caps out around 15mbit apparently (not like I'm complaining for free). Disabling IPv6 temporarily on my router got me up in to the 200s.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 5, 2016

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Thanks for the information. I'll probably have it installed and play around a bit to see how it is and then maybe jump into it when wheel support comes around.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Microsoft Store doesn't think I'm on windows 10 so it won't let me download. :downs:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I just ran the demo race and the first round. OBS full screen capture (game capure can't even see the game's window) sure sucks up performance, I was regularly under 60 FPS with ~50% GPU usage (with 2 cores mostly maxed and two mostly idle on a 4790K) while I was streaming. I then did another round after streaming running Sebring in the Mustang again, but in the rain this time for extra stress, without streaming and it was butter smooth.

Since it's running at desktop resolution and is supposedly 60 FPS locked, but is also vsync locked, and my desktop resolution is 1920x1080x144, I wonder what it's actually doing. This isn't like a FPS where high refresh rates are immediately obvious. I need to drag my Xbone down here and side by side the two to see if I can tell a smoothness difference.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 5, 2016

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Man I need to update to Windows 10 at some point. But if I do I want to do a clean install because I'm just that kind of person. And that means reinstalling all my poo poo and getting everything back as I want it to be which on a new OS will probably cost me a whole weekend. Plus, I dislike the idea of supporting the Windows App Store in it's current form, at least for games, because that thing seems like a big gently caress you to PC gaming. I'm kinda on board with the idea of an OS as a subscription service though.

Also, I reinstalled ETS2, why did I do that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you have an extra hard drive and know how to ghost or use DD, you can just copy your current install to that, do the windows 10 upgrade, then fresh install 10.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I confirm performance is odd.. I can triple screen iracing with medium settings,

I had to go to low to single monitor this on one screen with my work (not very intensive) client was on teh other 2.

Overall it's an arcadey racer that will be okay for couch settings or those who desire a career mode, From what I've played so far it's very much like grid autosport with the added ability to unlock cars as you progress. they need desperately to work on optimization, I doubt I can steam box this to my TV at 1080p
Also on medium settings I can't go above 720P.

In summary It's basically Microsoft presents Grid Autosport, but with no wheel support and worse performance, and microtransactions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Keep in mind it's still beta, it's not a final product.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The in-place update to Win10 is actually pretty smooth compared to previous Windows upgrades. It moves the old windows folder to a new name and installs in a fresh tree. Later on once you're happy with the upgrade the disk cleanup tool can be used to purge all the old unused poo poo (it's harder to do manually because you'll run into permissions issues, which can be dealt with, but eh, just use the tool). If that's not clean enough for you, Win10 also has a "factory reset" option that will purge all settings and make it look like a brand new Win10 install.

If that's still not clean enough for you, you can make install media with a Microsoft tool and when it asks you for a license key, give it your Win7/8 license. Supposedly Win10 automatically fingerprints your hardware so future installs of Win10 can be done without entering a key but I haven't actually tried it myself.

As for upgrading, you should do it soon because the Win10 free upgrade offer expires at the end of June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can't use your 7 or 8 keys because they are 7 or 8 keys. Windows 10 checks your previous key license and then adds your hardware fingerprint to Microsoft's list of licenses.