Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

I put half a roll through my XA then took it out and put the other half through a Canonet QL17. Not a huge fan of the Canon, the rangefinder is nice but it flares like crazy and the XA just gets better looking results.

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 19, 2016

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
To the guy who has shot a whole "roll" on the XA when there was no film in it: I know your pain. I've done that.

Developed some film that I shot a year ago from a friends wedding. Same fake pano minolta I've shot with before:

Wedding prep by spike mccue, on Flickr

Pig time by spike mccue, on Flickr

All my friends by spike mccue, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

how loving long is that tie? :stare:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

how loving long is that tie? :stare:

lol I hadn't even noticed that

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Doing lots of scanning.

Truck dude by spike mccue, on Flickr

Beijing, China by spike mccue, on Flickr

Dia:Beacon by spike mccue, on Flickr

Paul and Osgar by spike mccue, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

What do you use to scan your 35mm?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bobmarleysghost posted:

What do you use to scan your 35mm?

Epson v600, why?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Awkward Davies posted:

Epson v600, why?

I have a v600 and never got scans this good

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea same. Even my v700 gives me nothing but soft 35mm scans

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

unpacked robinhood posted:

I have a v600 and never got scans this good

I can't pretend I know what I'm doing. You can see my settings below. Once I scan them in, I do dust clean up, and adjust the levels to make sure the white/black points are correct in Photoshop. Then I'll pull them into Lightroom and do any final adjustments before uploading.

Here's my settings:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Flat negatives are key

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Flat negatives and make sure your holder is set to all the triangle notches not the regular ones.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I got an Olympus DC for my first rangefinder, nifty little camera. The 40mm 1.7 lens is something else. manual override would be nice, but tri-x/portra at 800 (wish the camera did 1600) with the 1.7 lens can work in some pretty dark places.

going to work by Sean Beck, on Flickr

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
So many rangefinders in this supposed "point and shoot" thread. Nice pics tho.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
to be fair there's a section of the OP dedicated to small 35mm rangefinders

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

i'm being generous in the definition, if the lens is attached or its got a small profile its technically a point and shoot. Just want people to buy cheapish lil cameras and take pictures of their friends drinking

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

i'm being generous in the definition, if the lens is attached or its got a small profile its technically a point and shoot. Just want people to buy cheapish lil cameras and take pictures of their friends drinking

I don't think you know what technically means

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I don't think you know what technically means

Yeah, I think "point and shoot" means more that there isn't really a manual focus so you only need to press the button to get a shot.
Whatever, I'm still pissed at OP for making GBS threads on my beloved Minox. :saddowns:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

seems silly to have a point and shoot AND compact rangefinder thread. i think it works (i'm also biased cause i want to post my rangefinder pics in here)

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
mods, please rename thread to "compact 35mm semantics discussion"

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Unfortunately these cameras aren't cheapish anymore, unless you want some 90's garbage zoom.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I spent a total of $10 combined on my XA and Mju-ii :smug:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

I spent a total of $10 combined on my XA and Mju-ii :smug:

Tricking your granddad doesn't count.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Nah I visit thrift stores every week and dig through the $5 p&s bins. Come across a lot of crap, the occasional AF35M, and completely lucked out on those finds. They look just as worthless as the other cameras so they're never marked up. I also found a mint Olympus EE-2. I find it odd that all of my finds have been Olympus cameras.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 6, 2016

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That's awesome, we don't really have genuine thrift stores over here anymore, everything is incredibly picked over and the stores a fairly heavily curated (for lack of a better word).

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

you can still snag some great stuff in the sub $90 range, i really like the Konica Big Mini for example

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I was looking for them last night on eBay, so many people asking for way more than $90 :argh:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

It seems like all the thrifts with any old camera gear I go into have searched ebay for the highest priced minty gear and set their broken down beaters to that price.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Too much text, not enough photo

XA2, as usual.

Greenpoint by spike mccue, on Flickr

Portland Ferry by spike mccue, on Flickr

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 7, 2016

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Zorki-4, Industar 50mm, f/3.5.

Zorki by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Zorki by Iain Compton, on Flickr

FED 5c, Industar 55mm, f/2

FED5C-7.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Babi Yar by Iain Compton, on Flickr

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

Helen Highwater posted:

Zorki-4, Industar 50mm, f/3.5.

I like the first one with the bamboo or cables or something. Also the numbered trees.

Here's some from my mju-ii.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I went to Tokyo for two days and stumbled around alone and jet lagged and took bad photos

Tokyo by spike mccue, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

I went to Tokyo for two days and stumbled around alone and jet lagged and took bad photos

These are fricken rad

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I picked up an Olympus Stylus Epic on KEH and it seems to have some issues with light leaks at the bottom of the frame, which is a shame because it's a great camera otherwise. I googled "Olympus Stylus Epic light leaks" and there are some other pictures floating around with identical leak patterns. Before I return it, has anyone seen leaks like these on an Olympus Stylus Epic and know of an easy way to fix them?

Pardon the lovely pictures different picture orientations, it's easier to notice the leak pattern when they're all in the same direction.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Mine's got a leak, still yet to fix it.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I've got those on two different epics and just seal the bottom seam with electrical or gaffer tape or w/e

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
mine was much worse, as a matter of fact

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'll have to do that, its got serious leaks in the same spot whenever there is a bit of sun out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Photos from Beijing. I was less jetlagged so I have less of an excuse for their shittyness.

Beijing by spike mccue, on Flickr

selfie by spike mccue, on Flickr

capitalism etc by spike mccue, on Flickr

Market by spike mccue, on Flickr

two stranded fish moistening each other with their own spit by spike mccue, on Flickr

• Locked thread