Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

little munchkin posted:

I hate that I'm right too, but it's just a fact of life. Money is a great chaff filter.
It's like comparing the crowd at McDonald's to the crowd at a Michelin star restaurant. Call it elitist, but I know which group I'd rather be around.
Really, I can tell who I want to play against by the dollar amount they spent on their deck.

That's why I'm so tilted whenever I lose against a deck that costs under $50, they're not truly investing in the hobby, they're just throwing piles of trash together and praying that variance gives them the win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Please leave the hobby.

I can't find another quote to reply with, sorry.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

little munchkin posted:

I can't find another quote to reply with, sorry.
oh, poo poo, levels of irony I wasn't prepared for

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I can't tell who's being sarcastic and who isn't in this thread anymore. I'm scared.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
lol if you make serious posts in this thread

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I mean the money as a chaff filter thing is what Somethingawful is predicated on, so it's not that untrue.

It's just that as this very thread (and MAYHAPS THIS VERY POST) proves, it keeps out some undesirables but not all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gensuki posted:

I do this because I am accustomed to playing in tight areas, so tapping lands individually as I use them tends to make them shift around or get buried. Taking up more than 5 card sized spaces for my lands is usually not feasible if I have any kind of board presence.

Rules question about how priority works. If I end my turn, and my opponent flashes in Pack Guardian, making the wolf, is there a window of time where I can shock the wolf before they untap? If they flash it in in response to me declaring attackers is there a point where I can shock the wolf before they can block with it?

I don't understand how playing in a tight area requires you to untap your lands. Piing every single tapped land in a single pile would be preferable to making the game-state unclear by untapping, and then retapping already tapped lands because it is important for your opponent to know what you have tapped or untapped, but its far more important to know what mana they have untapped. Its just a shortcut because players don't want to reorganize their land piles when they go to untap, but its also misleading and a potential avenue to non-obviously cheat.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

You should never untap any lands that are supposed to be tapped because it's a really easy way of cheating and even if you're not a cheater, you always want to take steps to minimize even the appearance of suspicious activity, especially at larger events.

See: guy who shuffles in such a way as to never shuffle his top card, but claimed he's just bad at shuffling.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

qbert posted:

You should never untap any lands that are supposed to be tapped because it's a really easy way of cheating and even if you're not a cheater, you always want to take steps to minimize even the appearance of suspicious activity, especially at larger events.

See: guy who shuffles in such a way as to never shuffle his top card, but claimed he's just bad at shuffling.

If i had an opponent do that I'd request they stop for not maintaining game state.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I would go so far as to say cheating on lands is probably the most common sleight of hand cheat and the way it mostly happens is picking up your tapped lands. If you pick your tapped lands up, its going to be suspicious to me full-stop.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ShaneB posted:

If i had an opponent do that I'd request they stop for not maintaining game state.

It is actually quite hard to spot if the person doing it knows what they are doing.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

ShaneB posted:

I meant untapping any tapped lands unless you are supposed to be doing it. There's literally no reason to do it and it actively messes up the current game state.

Ah, I thought you were referring to the shuffle thing, my apologies.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 5, 2016

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Madmarker posted:

It is actually quite hard to spot if the person doing it knows what they are doing.

I meant untapping any tapped lands unless you are supposed to be doing it. There's literally no reason to do it and it actively messes up the current game state.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zoness posted:

lol if you make serious posts in this thread

Altho if you call out anyone in the hobby on toxic behavior you get called a shitposter :v:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Also if you tap your lands like a jackass you might inadvertently cheat. It's just a bad idea all around, only good for cheating on purpose or by accident.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I've also seen people use dice to represent a creature's current power/toughness as opposed to how many +1/+1 counters are on it.

This is confusing and wrong and don't do it.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Sestze posted:

Really, I can tell who I want to play against by the dollar amount they spent on their deck.

That's why I'm so tilted whenever I lose against a deck that costs under $50, they're not truly investing in the hobby, they're just throwing piles of trash together and praying that variance gives them the win.

I bet everyone at your LGS wishes they were you :allears:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

I've also seen people use dice to represent a creature's current power/toughness as opposed to how many +1/+1 counters are on it.

This is confusing and wrong and don't do it.

"I'll +1 my Jace." *reaches for a die, puts it on 1 on the card*

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There are lots of weird habits people have about how they represent things on the board, and some them are incredibly dumb.

Things I've had to actually tell opponents not to do:

- Scoop up all their lands and put them in a single pile so you can only see the top card. Then when they go to cast a spell, counting out lands into a second tapped pile that you can also only see the top card of.
- Using counter beads or dice to represent tokens (jesus christ, if you don't have the right tokens just use random tokens face down. At least use something card-shaped so we can tell if it's tapped.)
- When putting +1/+1 counters on creatures, using dice to represent the final P/T rather than the number of counters (e.g. "one-one counter on my 1/1 token." ~puts die set on '2' on the token~)
- Putting dice on creatures to represent p/t boosts from static effects like anthems.
- Casting a planeswalker, +1ing it, and putting a die on the planeswalker set on '1'. I don't remember if they had an answer to "if you're using the die to represent the difference from the starting loyalty, what happens when it goes below the starting loyalty?"
- taking cards from their graveyard and putting them onto the battlefield face-down as tokens.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

There are lots of weird habits people have about how they represent things on the board, and some them are incredibly dumb.

- Scoop up all their lands and put them in a single pile so you can only see the top card. Then when they go to cast a spell, counting out lands into a second tapped pile that you can also only see the top card of.
- Using counter beads or dice to represent tokens (jesus christ, if you don't have the right tokens just use random tokens face down. At least use something card-shaped so we can tell if it's tapped.)
- When putting +1/+1 counters on creatures, using dice to represent the final P/T rather than the number of counters (e.g. "one-one counter on my 1/1 token." ~puts die set on '2' on the token~)
- Putting dice on creatures to represent p/t boosts from static effects like anthems.
- Casting a planeswalker, +1ing it, and putting a die on the planeswalker set on '1'. I don't remember if they had an answer to "if you're using the die to represent the difference from the starting loyalty, what happens when it goes below the starting loyalty?"
- taking cards from their graveyard and putting them onto the battlefield face-down as tokens.

I've had opponents do every single one of those things...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

I've had opponents do every single one of those things...

Really? I've only seen people using random crap for tokens and people using a die to show the total p/t instead of the number of counters.

I just can't see how anyone could think doing any of those things is a good idea.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

suicidesteve posted:

Really? I've only seen people using random crap for tokens and people using a die to show the total p/t instead of the number of counters.

I just can't see how anyone could think doing any of those things is a good idea.

Its always some combination of stubbornness, a lack of common sense, and an avenue to cheat.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

The +1/+1 counter thing and the loyalty counter thing is the worst. The people who do that get incredibly peeved if you ask them to have their dice represent the correct values. And get really angry if you call a judge when they refuse.

The dice for static effects thing bothers me less, especially if there are multiple anthem/crusade effects to keep track of...ESPECIALLY when not all apply to all creatures on the battlefield. (For example if a person has Always Watching, Howlpack Resurgence, Pack Guardian, a Wolf Token and a Dauntless Cathar out.)

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 5, 2016

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

On the topic of good ways to represent board state, what do people suggest as good ways to represent games where both +1/+1 counters AND -1/-1 counters are a thing, which you see quite often in older formats?

Also, what about creatures that level up? What about Planeswalkers that can become creatures and have +1/+1 counters placed on them?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Different colours of dice?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

qbert posted:

On the topic of good ways to represent board state, what do people suggest as good ways to represent games where both +1/+1 counters AND -1/-1 counters are a thing, which you see quite often in older formats?

Also, what about creatures that level up?

Use one color for + and one for -. In the incredibly unlikely event that level counters come up just put them on the corresponding number for each level. ie if the levels are 2 and 4 and 6 and it has 3 counters on it put a die on the 2. Then when it gets 1 more counter move it down to the 4 until it hits the next level.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

eh, the token thing is understandable at a sealed event where you don't get enough tokens of gently caress all to be worth anything at all sometimes.

It screwed me over once cause I was using dice to represent wolves and forgot I had them to block with so it goes both ways on the "cheating" I suppose.

Maybe game stores should have blank cards you can write on or something but nobody's ever done that when I've played. You can ask around but there are so many "GOTTA FOCUS GAME IS ON" kids that if you start asking if anyone's got spare wolf tokens they'll all ignore the poo poo out of you cause it might give away that they're playing or not playing a deck that can generate wolves. :(

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
For some reason tapping mana 90 degree's to the right really gets on my nerves

Also, everyone's favorite thing to complain about: The constant shuffling of cards in your hand instead of just holding them

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

Also, what about creatures that level up? What about Planeswalkers that can become creatures and have +1/+1 counters placed on them?

You can't have both anymore anyways.

Edit: but yeah, that's right you could have -1/-1 on a Finks or a +1/+1 and I guess they'd look the same. I guess you'd use different colors?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 5, 2016

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Entropic posted:

I can do you one better. A pile of untapped lands stacked on top of a pile of tapped lands in a cross shape. If he needed to cast more than one thing in a turn, he would separate the piles, pick the untapped pile up off the table and then count them into the tapped pile, then stack them back on top of each other.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Entropic posted:

My roommate used to do this. The answer is that if the die is over the spot on the card where the starting loyalty is, it represents the absolute loyalty value. If it's anywhere else, then it represents the additional amount over the starting loyalty. Also, this wasn't his crazy invention, it's the convention he was taught and that his whole playgroup uses.

Yes they almost exclusively play EDH, why do you ask?

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 5, 2016

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

80s James Hetfield posted:

For some reason tapping mana 90 degree's to the right really gets on my nerves

Also, everyone's favorite thing to complain about : The constant shuffling of cards in your hand instead of just holding them

Wait, isn't that how you're supposed to tap mana?

Also, randomizing your hand after drawing is important in hiding information. Constantly doing it Kibler-style is a little annoying though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry but if my opponent is going to take 3 minutes to do something that should take 30 seconds to do I'm going to shuffle my hand relentlessly in the hopes of causing them to flip the table and smash the store.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I have a set of sleeves I bring to limited events and just use unsleeved cards and/or face down sleeves as tokens.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

qbert posted:

Also, randomizing your hand after drawing is important in hiding information. Constantly doing it Kibler-style is a little annoying though.

Maybe 90 degrees isn't the description . They tap it slightly to the right so it's diagonal corner to corner

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Death Bot posted:

I have a set of sleeves I bring to limited events and just use unsleeved cards and/or face down sleeves as tokens.

I just bring a dragon shield box full of tokens because not playing with the correct tokens is awful.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

80s James Hetfield posted:

Maybe 90 degrees isn't the description . They tap it slightly to the right so it's diagonal corner to corner

That's 45, maybe less.

90 is a quarter circle.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

Tapping your lands with the top of the card going from around 12 o'clock to about 2 o'clock is another common one I've seen. I've seen guys do this on camera on SCG tournaments.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
The 45 degree tap is from the very old days of magic I believe, like playing lands in front. Also like playing lands in front, it's a very easy fix to just do it in the newer, clearer way.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Another pro tip you should not do that I saw Pro Tour champion Steve Rubin doing on-camera: Don't hold cards upside-down in your hand as a shortcut to remembering the Reflector Mage effect.

Not only did Steve do this with asymmetrical sleeves, which allowed his opponent to easily keep track of the Hangarback Walker in his hand, he also turned the other 2 Walkers already in his hand upside-down, basically giving his whole hand away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Random question, does anyone know what the MTG scene is like in San Francisco/Bay Area? I may be moving out there and want to know how much of my collection I should sell now vs. when I get there.

• Locked thread