Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cabbit posted:

Cartoon Ororo had a bit of a god complex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_rj1B3l9gE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I still call bullshit on weather control being a 'mutation', that's magic, not DNA-fuckery :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I still call bullshit on weather control being a 'mutation', that's magic, not DNA-fuckery :colbert:

Unlike the highly scientific eye lasers, sulfuric teleportation and telekinesis powers.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Her mutation allows her to control the magic that controls the weather. There.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They eventually moved in the direction that Ororo's specifically a very high-end aerokinetic, so she can mentally manipulate the atmosphere at long range. Hence, weather.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Wanderer posted:

They eventually moved in the direction that Ororo's specifically a very high-end aerokinetic, so she can mentally manipulate the atmosphere at long range. Hence, weather.

That's a lot of fancy words for weather witch.

Scarlet Witch got chaos magicks, so Storm can have her magicks too!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No no, X-men have to be boring and obey physics. That's how you write a good comic.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lurdiak posted:

No no, X-men have to be boring and obey physics. That's how you write a good comic.

But that ... that's not ... huh ... wha? :psyduck:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I have that image saved as "Take A Science Class Len Wein"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

That's a lot of fancy words for weather witch.

Scarlet Witch got chaos magicks, so Storm can have her magicks too!

I think Claremont was going to do something with it at one point, actually. When he was back on the X-books for about ten minutes before House of M, he had Storm doing things like generating a Jovian pressure field.

(I think I only remember that because it gave Paul O'Brien a conniption.)

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 5, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I have that image saved as "Take A Science Class Len Wein"

The funny part is that if he had just reversed that, it might have made even a little bit of sense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I like to think that Dracula knows perfectly well that Storm (probably) can't control the sun (though she did control the solar wind once...) but thinks if she's going to show that much courage, he'll applaud it. A Good Dracula.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Did it not occur to any of you guys that she might've meant she was going to put him in an air vortex that'd orbit the earth and always face the sun?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Lurdiak posted:

Unlike the highly scientific eye lasers, sulfuric teleportation and telekinesis powers.

There's a difference between 'My eyes bounce light too well'/'bullshit 100% of brain usage' and "Piss me off and I will destroy everything you love with supertornadoes" :v:

Nightcrawler teleporting is also DNA-bullshit, but I like Nightcrawler more than Storm so I let it slide.

(Also I was joking, y'all, relax)

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Did it not occur to any of you guys that she might've meant she was going to put him in an air vortex that'd orbit the earth and always face the sun?

Yeah she said she was gonna take the place off its foundations so I assumed she was gonna move it around.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kramjacks posted:

Yeah she said she was gonna take the place off its foundations so I assumed she was gonna move it around.

I really thought she was just wildly overstating Drac's sun exposure. It would have been more accurate for her to point out that his castle would never again cast protective shade for him, but that doesn't sound as badass.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Ah, the Doreen-Kraven maneuver.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

What.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Okay, fine, I'll give you context. Kraven attacked Squirrel Girl.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1. The one from 2015. The first one from 2015!

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

ManiacClown posted:

Her mutation allows her to control the magic that controls the weather. There.

A Storm did become a sorceress in the Magik miniseries, so there is precedent for Witch Storm.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Adnor posted:

A Storm did become a sorceress in the Magik miniseries, so there is precedent for Witch Storm.

She was also the bride of Dracula back in the early 80's, so there's a precedent for that too

(I think it turned out to be a dream, but that's almost as good)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

CzarChasm posted:

She was also the bride of Dracula back in the early 80's, so there's a precedent for that too

(I think it turned out to be a dream, but that's almost as good)

Nah she straight got Dracula'd. It came out like a year after the Doom/Arcade story so it wasn't even a precedent setting evil ruler falling for Storm moment.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Dracula plans his daily schedule around the weather, plans an outing while it's projected to be overcast only to find it's clear out. Curse you, Ororo!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

I think it's pretty evident that there are no such things as "mutants as evolved humans", what they call "mutants" are really unaware dimensional orphans. The entire Marvel U exists in a very weak spot surrounded by countless dimensions, what they call "mutants" are humans from other dimensions accidentally brought to the main Marvel U. This explains why every single mutant is completely unique, why death and time are so nebulous ("heaven and hell" are just different dimensions so death is just like going to another country to rest), and why "mutations" only appear around puberty: like Superman being exposed to the yellow sun something on earth causes these travelers to change. Or somewhere there is an entire planet of people with eye punch powers except one guy just trying to live.
No prize.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I always liked the Earth X explanation that everyone is a mutant/inhuman/whatever, just some get their powers activated in different ways, whether by secret formula, freak trauma, Terragin Mists, or yes, your parents combined genes. In the book, something has happened to activate the entire world's powers (except Tony Stark, because in this universe, he's a weirdo Howard Hughes shut-in) and a big part of the plot is people trying to find out what caused it exactly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hated that because I hate "EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED" explanations for things.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I always liked the Earth X explanation that everyone is a mutant/inhuman/whatever, just some get their powers activated in different ways, whether by secret formula, freak trauma, Terragin Mists, or yes, your parents combined genes. In the book, something has happened to activate the entire world's powers (except Tony Stark, because in this universe, he's a weirdo Howard Hughes shut-in) and a big part of the plot is people trying to find out what caused it exactly.

This was a thing for DC comics, too. Back in the 80s, some aliens who wanted to invade the Earth figured out there was a genetic basis for all human superpowers and made a bomb to emit radiation that crippled that gene, loving up the superpowers of almost everyone on the planet. Ironically, this stress was enough to trigger superpowers in several previously unpowered people (like Maxwell Lord).

This plot was later reused in the Young Justice cartoon.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Godwave, right? It created the New Gods and then reverberated through the universe, hit the edge (???), bounced back, and created Wonder Woman's Greek gods and then seeded mortals with potential superpowers. Which means there should have been a lot more superheros in history and not just all of them showing up to fight Hitler.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

The Godwave, right? It created the New Gods and then reverberated through the universe, hit the edge (???), bounced back, and created Wonder Woman's Greek gods and then seeded mortals with potential superpowers. Which means there should have been a lot more superheros in history and not just all of them showing up to fight Hitler.

He means Invasion!.

(with the exclamation point!)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Travis343 posted:

Which means there should have been a lot more superheros in history and not just all of them showing up to fight Hitler.

Some versions of the wizard Shazam's origin have him as a shepherd boy living in Canaan circa 5000 BC who was bestowed with superhuman powers by a fictional pantheon of gods, which made him the world's first superhero.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Travis343 posted:

Which means there should have been a lot more superheros in history and not just all of them showing up to fight Hitler.
There were. We just turned them into myths and urban legends and folklore figures.

"Holy poo poo, guy flies!" Can get more coverage when you have a global media system. Plus, they have access to better costume materials.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"Dude with super strength" is less impressive if dude in question dies of typhus when he's 8.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

FilthyImp posted:

There were. We just turned them into myths and urban legends and folklore figures.

"Holy poo poo, guy flies!" Can get more coverage when you have a global media system. Plus, they have access to better costume materials.

There were heroes like Max Mercury.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

redbackground posted:

He means Invasion!.

(with the exclamation point!)

Notable for being the swiftly ignored origin for the Hitman comic, I think.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Nope, that was Bloodlines. Invasion gave us Max Lord and messed with Fire's powers, and paved the way for Morrison's Doom Patrol.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Invasion! issue of Animal Man was really good. It also sets up the end of the Psycho Pirate story in the book. "Just turn it off."

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cabbit posted:

Notable for being the swiftly ignored origin for the Hitman comic, I think.

Nope, that was Bloodlines, specifically The Demon Annual #2 component.

Invasion! was a pretty much wholly self-contained 3-issue thingy (with tie-ins, of course, but you really didn't need them at all), and it's actually pretty good, unlike ole Bloodlines.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 10, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Die Laughing posted:

The Invasion! issue of Animal Man was really good. It also sets up the end of the Psycho Pirate story in the book. "Just turn it off."

It's terrible to read in trades though because you have Buddy staring off page at something all shocked and then the next page everything is all fine because it didn't get resolved in Animal Man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Pretty par for the course with event tie ins. The aftermath issue was really good too, so I ever gave it much thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I loved Invasion! Also, it had a lot more effect on Swamp Thing than you'd expect. Alan Moore's last arc on the book has the aliens shoot Swampy off the Earth to get him out of their way, where he ends up wandering the cosmos for like a year, while his vibrations are all out of whack with the Green. He ends up stopping eventually on a planet that's all plant and makes the mistake of using those plants to make his body because whoa, it's a planet of sentient plant people. Eventually a dying old man of a plant lets him take his body, as he happens to be friends with the local Green Lantern, who then helps him fix his problems and return home.

Also, in a later story, Swamp Thing goes to Hell (he seems to go there often enough) and we find out that the aliens who died during Invasion! wound up in Earth Hell, which was a kinda fun twist.