Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

fishmech posted:

It ended in 2015. This is already a final release.
The joke went right by you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Last Chance posted:

No, I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I mean they didn't call it a beta, but if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and shits the bed and irritates the gently caress out of early adopters like a duck...

Nah, it works about as well as pre-sp1 Windows 7 did. Unsurprisingly when literally billions of people use an OS there's going to turn up a lot of problems.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

CFox posted:

Very disappointing and goes against the goal of getting everyone on the same platform. I just don't see the reason in it.

Scoss posted:

So Microsoft's recent press push to remind people to upgrade to Win 10 has hit me and I'm finally feeling like I had better do it sooner than later.

Maybe this is the reason? They could just be lying, and planning on pretending to change their mind in the last few days of the free upgrade period.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Anyone have any issues with games made before 2006 or so?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Depends on the game. Knights of the Old Republic, for instance, runs like a champ for me and it's a 2003 game. I have heard that old games running SafeDisc or Securom won't run because the DRM can't install (which, considering the DRM and what it does, isn't that big of a loss). I think that GTA3 (non steam version) and one of the older Sims games used it - so stuff like that won't run.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The graphics usually aren't very good, and the gameplay is often rudimentary in hindsight.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

skooma512 posted:

Most everything old already has work arounds documented for when they broke on XP, Vista, 7, or 8. I can also confirm Road Rash and C&C Generals/Zero Hour work.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 5, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have not had any new problems with anything that ran on Vista/7. Games that didn't work on those (mostly 9x era) unsurprisingly still don't work.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Where is the Bash filesystem located? I know that there's basically a filesystem firewall between Windows and Ubuntu/Bash for a lot of things but does that extend to meaning there's no way to poke around the Bash files via Explorer?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Arsten posted:

Depends on the game. Knights of the Old Republic, for instance, runs like a champ for me and it's a 2003 game. I have heard that old games running SafeDisc or Securom won't run because the DRM can't install (which, considering the DRM and what it does, isn't that big of a loss). I think that GTA3 (non steam version) and one of the older Sims games used it - so stuff like that won't run.

they will probably run just fine, but you'll need to find an old nocd patch to disable that nonsense

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

The Goatfather posted:

they will probably run just fine, but you'll need to find an old nocd patch to disable that nonsense

Actually, if you don't mind re-buying your games, most of them can be had on steam (or even GoG) without that nonsense in the first place.

Nothing says "Safe" like a site that still has NoCD cracks from 10+ years ago.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Arsten posted:

Actually, if you don't mind re-buying your games, most of them can be had on steam (or even GoG) without that nonsense in the first place.

Nothing says "Safe" like a site that still has NoCD cracks from 10+ years ago.

in some cases the publishers have just released the scene nocd patches as their own :laugh:

e: also it's literally the same site from 10 years ago. gamecopyworld still exists. be careful downloading those 10+ year old cracks you might catch conficker or codered

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 6, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Note that you won't want the Steam release of GTA San Andreas to play anymore. A year or so back they replaced the patched PC version with a port of the smartphone version with worse graphics and missing music. You're better off using noDVD patched version 1.0, especially if you want to play the mods for it.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

fishmech posted:

Note that you won't want the Steam release of GTA San Andreas to play anymore. A year or so back they replaced the patched PC version with a port of the smartphone version with worse graphics and missing music. You're better off using noDVD patched version 1.0, especially if you want to play the mods for it.

I see touch screen abilities on Windows devices are causing the greatest business decisions! :v:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Here's my fun windows 10 problem for the day: Dad called all in a panic because windows 10 updated last night and today it boots to a black screen with cursor before the login screen. All the instructions to fix it require safe mode but most of those instructions require you to be in working windows first. The option to enable safe mode from the install media's repair environment just doesn't exist- there's no "Startup Settings" at all under advanced options (and startup repair fails to repair anything). We had a similar problem a few months ago, also after an update, and it just loving fixed itself after a few reboots and unproductive trips in and out of the recovery environment, so I don't know what did it. This is all on an extremely special snowflake refurbished lenovo thinkcentre with no lenovo recovery poo poo on it. :toot:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
if the computer is slightly old you might be able to hit Shift + F8 fast enough during the start of the windows boot to get to that menu from outside of windows

who the gently caress at microsoft thought safe mode should be primarily accessed from a working windows installation though? like what the gently caress is that poo poo. what a colossal fuckup. they knew that the boot time of windows 10 was changed to give literally no time for interrupts and did it anyway

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Is there a good way to take control over automatic updating in 10 Pro?

Via local policy you can have it ask before installing, but it bugs you incessantly. I'd like to just be able to kick off updates when I see fit.

I really get what they're going for - I just find it a bit intrusive for my tastes.

Otherwise I'll suck it up, but it's about the only thing about 10 I still find irksome.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Walked posted:

Is there a good way to take control over automatic updating in 10 Pro?

Via local policy you can have it ask before installing, but it bugs you incessantly. I'd like to just be able to kick off updates when I see fit.

I really get what they're going for - I just find it a bit intrusive for my tastes.

Otherwise I'll suck it up, but it's about the only thing about 10 I still find irksome.

You can do a bit more fine tuning under policy at System \ Admin Templates \ Components \ Windows Update. The policy is "Configure Automatic Updates" And I think the lowest-nag one is #2, which should be "Tell you there are updates, but don't download or install them."

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Arsten posted:

You can do a bit more fine tuning under policy at System \ Admin Templates \ Components \ Windows Update. The policy is "Configure Automatic Updates" And I think the lowest-nag one is #2, which should be "Tell you there are updates, but don't download or install them."

Yeah; thats the one that annoys me. I actually just set this policy object to disabled entirely and it seems to actually be respecting that choice on 1511... whereas it was not on my last laptop

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah right. I wouldn't toxx myself on it but as braindead as MS is I can't believe they'll actually follow through. Unfortunately as an IT guy I have to take them serious and push the holdouts here to finish upgrading.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nielsm posted:

Wait, if I upgrade now, then replace my motherboard in 2 months, will my license be invalid?
Probably yes. You might still be able to reinstall using a Windows 7 or 8 key, but officially your motherboard is the computer, and the license is bound to the computer. So new motherboard means you must purchase a new license.

Is this still the case? I know they've changed a lot of the policies around how product keys work and how the 7->10 upgrade works over the course of the win10 rollout.

Context: I have a gaming machine running a retail copy of Win7 Pro. I'm considering upgrading to Win10, but I'm also planning a major upgrade this fall (new GPU, CPU, motherboard, and RAM). If this is going to invalidate my Win10 install and require me to install 7, from scratch, again, I'm just not going to bother.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
We have a dozen 7 and 8 keys. We don't want to upgrade to 10 yet, but I understand that we can use the keys and the Media Creation Tool to create install media.

Do we still have to use those installation media to upgrade to 10 before July 29th to get the free upgrade? Is creating install media with a key the same as upgrading, effectively 'claiming' a free upgrade?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Woodsy Owl posted:

We have a dozen 7 and 8 keys. We don't want to upgrade to 10 yet, but I understand that we can use the keys and the Media Creation Tool to create install media.

Do we still have to use those installation media to upgrade to 10 before July 29th to get the free upgrade? Is creating install media with a key the same as upgrading, effectively 'claiming' a free upgrade?

You need to do an install of Windows 10 on the hardware in question, even if you'll immediately revert them to Windows 7 from a backup.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

ToxicFrog posted:

Is this still the case? I know they've changed a lot of the policies around how product keys work and how the 7->10 upgrade works over the course of the win10 rollout.

Context: I have a gaming machine running a retail copy of Win7 Pro. I'm considering upgrading to Win10, but I'm also planning a major upgrade this fall (new GPU, CPU, motherboard, and RAM). If this is going to invalidate my Win10 install and require me to install 7, from scratch, again, I'm just not going to bother.

CPU/Mobo isn't an upgrade, it's building a new PC but reusing a lot of old parts. It's likely that you will need a new license unless you had a retail key.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is it possible to make a Windows 10 Recovery disc, instead of USB drive? I still have lots of blank CDs, but I don't buy USB drives by the buttload. The 4 I have are all already being used for other (mostly personal) stuff (and one of them is a relic, with only 64 MB of storage...).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

CPU/Mobo isn't an upgrade, it's building a new PC but reusing a lot of old parts. It's likely that you will need a new license unless you had a retail key.

A retail Win7 key or Win10 key? I have the former. I don't have the latter, and I have principled objections to paying MS for another windows license when I've already had to buy and throw away three over the years for OSes I didn't want and never used.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
What's the difference between the 'reset this PC' options?

The only difference seems to be whether your 'personal files' are kept or not, but of course it doesn't clarify whether that's just everything in the user folder, or the entire machine's contents as well.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

ToxicFrog posted:

A retail Win7 key or Win10 key? I have the former. I don't have the latter, and I have principled objections to paying MS for another windows license when I've already had to buy and throw away three over the years for OSes I didn't want and never used.
You'll want to finalize your hardware soon, because as far as I know, Win 7 retail doesn't convert to Win 10 retail. Once you're done with your new build you'll have to go Win 7 -> Win 10 again.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Phoenixan posted:

You'll want to finalize your hardware soon, because as far as I know, Win 7 retail doesn't convert to Win 10 retail. Once you're done with your new build you'll have to go Win 7 -> Win 10 again.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty bad time to buy new hardware. nVidia just announced their new 16nm FinFET cores, and AMD is expected to follow suite with 14nm FinFET in the next month or two. And this summer, both AMD and Intel are releasing new generations of CPUs -- Kaby Lake for Intel, an incremental improvement on Skylake, and Zen for AMD, a completely new microarchitecture. All of this is going to result in a wider variety of hardware to pick from and a bunch of price cuts (and an upturn in the second hand market) for the now-current generation.

Anyways, it sounds like this answers my question; I won't bother upgrading, since I'd just have to revert back to 7 when I do the upgrade this fall.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kheldarn posted:

Is it possible to make a Windows 10 Recovery disc, instead of USB drive? I still have lots of blank CDs, but I don't buy USB drives by the buttload. The 4 I have are all already being used for other (mostly personal) stuff (and one of them is a relic, with only 64 MB of storage...).

Does it have to be a CD? You can burn the ISO right to a DVD.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Phoenixan posted:

Win 7 retail converts to Win 10 retail just fine. As long as it's done before July 29th. You don't even need to 'upgrade' from Windows 7, you can directly enter the key into Windows 10 and it'll work. That's what I did for my current build.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

fishmech posted:

Does it have to be a CD? You can burn the ISO right to a DVD.

That works. I have a few spindles of CDs, and at least one of DVDs, somewhere in my office...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jeoh posted:

Win 7 retail converts to Win 10 retail just fine. As long as it's done before July 29th. You don't even need to 'upgrade' from Windows 7, you can directly enter the key into Windows 10 and it'll work. That's what I did for my current build.

Nah, Win 7 retail converts into Win 10 "digital entitlement". The Win 7 retail license is generally okay to install on entirely new hardware, as long as you only use the license on a single computer. The Win 10 "digital entitlement" is strongly hardware-bound, has no associated product key, and will never activate on anything but the hardware it was obtained with.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
As a point of reference, I did swapped CPUs but kept the same board a few days ago and Windows didn't say peep to me about it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I've just realised that I'll have to buy Windows 10 again on the next computer I build. This sucks. I got Windows 8 Pro on release day for the £25 Microsoft charged at that time, and it was a great offer. The only Pro feature I use really is BitLocker on my hard drives, but it's an important one I don't want to do without. I can't face paying the ridiculous standard price for a Pro license though.

If they do bin the free upgrade offer as expected, they should at least make the licenses a hell of a lot cheaper.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh, well that is lovely. That fucks me completely on building my grandparents a new PC later this year.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh, well that is lovely. That fucks me completely on building my grandparents a new PC later this year.

Just teach your grandparents linux. :razz:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Johnny Aztec posted:

Anything stopping you from doing it by mid-July to have a buffer?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yes, now your life is ruined :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Man I really wish Windows 10 would stop loving up my file associations. Seriously, it happens like at least once a month.