Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

88h88 posted:

I have two copies on blu ray yet don't own a blu ray player... Weird but true. Should probably fix that.

Pick up a cheap PS3, that's what mine gets used for mostly and they work well as players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

literally a fish posted:

And that is why forcing students to keep their phones in their lockers is stupid. Much harder to steal something that's on your person at all times.

I'm still shocked at how liberal schools have become with electronic devices. When I was in high school getting caught with a phone in your possession (just having it, not using it) was pretty much an automatic three day out of school suspension, even if it was powered off in your locker. Hell, one day the police did a drug dog sweep (if the dog alerted on your car you were called out to the parking lot to open it for them) and several people were suspended for having a phone in their car during the school day.

Wrar posted:

I don't know why anyone steals a phone these days, you just call the carrier and it's effectively useless until you tell them otherwise. IMEI numbers are a thing.

To be fair it sounds like we're talking about 12-13 year old kids here, I doubt they've thought this through much past "awesome, free phone!"

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
:bahgawd: In my day kids were just starting to have beepers and getting caught with one was an rear end-chewing.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cell phones in school lol. We had pay phones. Stick a quarter in, or phreak it.

:phone:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Hey old guys. It's 2016. Get over it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jared592 posted:

:bahgawd: In my day kids were just starting to have beepers and getting caught with one was an rear end-chewing.

I used a laptop in school, because NERRRRRRDDDDD

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Goober Peas posted:

Cell phones in school lol. We had pay phones. Stick a quarter in, or phreak it.

:phone:

Computers? You mean the TRS-80s in Computer Lab?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dagen H posted:

Computers? You mean the TRS-80s in Computer Lab?

Actually Apple ] [e and IBM PS/2 but same sentiment :haw:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

Actually Apple ] [e and IBM PS/2 but same sentiment :haw:

That's what we had. IBM Clones for the win.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
When floppy disks were floppy :allears:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hey does anyone remember the Samsung Galaxy S4?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

I still have one. The MicroUSB port finally failed, though :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

freelop posted:

Pick up a cheap PS3, that's what mine gets used for mostly and they work well as players

Quite how this hadn't occurred to me I have no idea.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

88h88 posted:

Quite how this hadn't occurred to me I have no idea.

They work pretty well for streaming video to as well.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Geoj posted:

I'm still shocked at how liberal schools have become with electronic devices. When I was in high school getting caught with a phone in your possession (just having it, not using it) was pretty much an automatic three day out of school suspension, even if it was powered off in your locker. Hell, one day the police did a drug dog sweep (if the dog alerted on your car you were called out to the parking lot to open it for them) and several people were suspended for having a phone in their car during the school day.

Yeah they're basically necessary these days. Literally every kid has one, and not just a dumb phone either. It's such a great thing for safety in general, being able for your kid to get ahold of you 24/7. All they can do is restrict use in the classroom, but anything more than that would be like banning shoes.

Geoj posted:

To be fair it sounds like we're talking about 12-13 year old kids here, I doubt they've thought this through much past "awesome, free phone!"

Exactly. There's also the possibility she dropped it outside, even though she thinks the last place she saw it was in her locker. Basically if it's not in the lost and found by end of day today I'm assuming it's gone.

It's insured but the deductible is $200 so it still stings.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Somebody set a pretty nice fire in my hometown last night. Luckily nobody was injured or killed, but it's another piece of history gone. My grandfather worked here for 47 years. The original building was built in 1842, I guess 150 years of cotton and wool dust impregnated into heart pine flooring is fairly flammable.
http://www.tallasseetribune.com/2016/05/05/fire-destroys-historic-mt-vernon-mills/

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Weird. Most images linked in peoples posts are only showing up when they're in a quote

da fuq

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

Somebody set a pretty nice fire in my hometown last night. Luckily nobody was injured or killed, but it's another piece of history gone. My grandfather worked here for 47 years. The original building was built in 1842, I guess 150 years of cotton and wool dust impregnated into heart pine flooring is fairly flammable.
http://www.tallasseetribune.com/2016/05/05/fire-destroys-historic-mt-vernon-mills/

Sherman strikes again!

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Sherman strikes again!

Maybe this year's annual Confederate cosplay convention can have something real to look at while fake-defending the "solid granite monument to the fortitude and tenacity of the Southern people, who managed to hold off a superior force of invading yankee barbarians for four long years."

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

I'm still using my S3 :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

Maybe this year's annual Confederate cosplay convention can have something real to look at while fake-defending the "solid granite monument to the fortitude and tenacity of the Southern people, who managed to hold off a superior force of invading yankee barbarians for four long years."

"See that son? Our ancestors died to defend that steaming pile of wreckage. God bless the Confederacy and our wealthy slave holders."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

T-Square posted:

I'm still using my S3 :(

If you can swing it, get a new phone.

The difference from my S4 Mini to my new Moto X is huge.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Seeing Fear Factory tonight. Cannot loving wait.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah they're basically necessary these days. Literally every kid has one, and not just a dumb phone either. It's such a great thing for safety in general, being able for your kid to get ahold of you 24/7

I can't even imagine how arrested me and my idiot friends would have been constantly if there'd been cell phones (and the cameras attached to them) when we were in school, not to mention how much this messes up the "Sorry I'm home 3 hours late mom I would have called but we couldn't find a pay phone" scam that most people in our age bracket were aware of.

I was one of the first people I knew to get a pager, and I kept it a secret from my parents for like 3 years due to not wanting to explain to them that I was neither a doctor nor a drug dealer, simply a guy who liked being able to have girls contact him without needing to sit at home by the phone all night - but wore that thing clipped in my front pocket at high school like the Original Gangster I am, they didn't even have a no-pagers policy yet because it was cutting edge. loving thing cost $300 in 1991 dollars!

Also, guy with the S3: I just switched from an international S3 to an international S7 and if I'm honest, it's nice to have the new android and other features, but overall the phone isn't THAT huge of a leap forward in terms of everyday/general use. The camera is a marked upgrade, and it is somewhat quicker to run and load apps and files, but if you didn't compare them back to back you'd probably be pretty happy with the S3. My S3 started doing the "Sleep of Death" but had no other issues and I'd probably still be using it if it hadn't done that.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Oh man, this is gonna be good. RON PAUL WOULDN'T TAKE ARE VAPES!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/05/05/feds-expected-announce-final-e-cigarette-rule-could-nearly-ban-them/83951786/

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tide posted:

Weird. Most images linked in peoples posts are only showing up when they're in a quote

da fuq

SA changed something with how they serve inline images. All my self-hosted images in the modeling thread aren't showing up for some people (but show up fine for me and some others), but if they open the image in a new tab, they work fine. Seems to be somehow related to my server not having SSL and SA requiring it for inline, but that wouldn't explain why I can see them and images in this thread that you can't apparently. :iiam:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

CommieGIR posted:

Sherman strikes again!

aaay

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

quote:

The rule prohibits selling "covered tobacco products" to people younger than 18, and buyers must show photo ID.

Meh, false narrative. Moving on.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Gubbermint shouldn't stop me from giving robo-blowjobs :freep:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Fuckin' USA Today got me excited.

So the robococks are ok, but the robojuice will be subject to the same regulations as tobacco. Each formulation has to be FDA-approved separately as well, hopefully.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The only smoking-related thing propylene glycol should be used for is your cigar humidor.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anybody played Automation? Seems very, very fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDd_O7rw6us

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
There used to be a goon-run racing league with automation. It was quite fun. Don't know what happened to it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MustardFacial posted:

There used to be a goon-run racing league with automation. It was quite fun. Don't know what happened to it.

I have another challenge coming up soon!

Here's my thread in Games about Automation, for those who are interested.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Shut down a door to door scammer type guy. Knocked on my door just now, I stepped out to meet him.

'Hi, I'm so and so from the company [I don't even think he specified...] and we are an independent contractor and don't provide services...'
"Okay."
'We've been getting a lot of complaints about rates going up, and we work with the big companies and people to help compare rates so you get the best price.'
"Okay..
'Now you're with us on the cable, right?'
[Us? I thought you didn't provide service...]
"I didn't say who I was with."
'Oh. Well you'
"Have a nice day."
As I'm going in I hear him go, 'Well I'm sorry you can't get a lower rate...'

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Shut down a door to door scammer type guy. Knocked on my door just now, I stepped out to meet him.

'Hi, I'm so and so from the company [I don't even think he specified...] and we are an independent contractor and don't provide services...'
"Okay."
'We've been getting a lot of complaints about rates going up, and we work with the big companies and people to help compare rates so you get the best price.'
"Okay..
'Now you're with us on the cable, right?'
[Us? I thought you didn't provide service...]
"I didn't say who I was with."
'Oh. Well you'
"Have a nice day."
As I'm going in I hear him go, 'Well I'm sorry you can't get a lower rate...'

The natural gas market was deregulated here a few years ago, and now there are constantly shitbag scammers going around with a legitimate company's name and logo on a badge around their neck trying to lock people in to $9.99/GJ of natural gas when the actual rates right now are about $1.70/GJ. They are often extremely agressive, try to push their way in, and try to get your name on poo poo before even saying who they work for. When you ask who they work for they often lie and say for the gas company, and more often than not it's either 2 middle eastern dudes or 2 russian dudes trying to intimidate old ladies into signing poo poo.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
This guy wasn't even as legit as that :v: . No company clothes, just grey-ish business casual clothes and his jacket had some stoner/rasta looking patch on the lapel.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

iwentdoodie posted:

Seeing Fear Factory tonight. Cannot loving wait.

I saw them with Devin Townsend a couple of years ago. It was good. However my most memorable bit of Fear Factory was just after they finished, when an endless looping rendition of 'cars' kicked off in the crowd, and kept going for a good 10 minutes.

It was a packed gig, so there was a slow moving queue to get out of the main room and into the bogs and then to the bar area and back before Devin Townsend was on. This turned into a massive 'cars' conga line with the singing carrying on through the duration of the toilet queues and then back out and during the bar queues. They didn't even play it in their set.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Tomarse posted:

I saw them with Devin Townsend a couple of years ago. It was good. However my most memorable bit of Fear Factory was just after they finished, when an endless looping rendition of 'cars' kicked off in the crowd, and kept going for a good 10 minutes.

It was a packed gig, so there was a slow moving queue to get out of the main room and into the bogs and then to the bar area and back before Devin Townsend was on. This turned into a massive 'cars' conga line with the singing carrying on through the duration of the toilet queues and then back out and during the bar queues. They didn't even play it in their set.

That's loving awesome. The last time I saw them was in....04? With Chimera and Arch Enemy, and that was in a 2500 cap theatre. Tonight is a ~400 cap bar. But I did see Burton C Bell doing an encore set during a Ministry show.

Tonight they're playing Demanufacture in its entirety, apparently most shows have been 11 songs then a 7-8 song encore set. So excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Gubbermint shouldn't stop me from giving robo-blowjobs :freep:

Glad I'm not the only one who calls out these robosexuals for what they are. Performing felatio in public.

• Locked thread