Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Leviathan Song posted:

Where exactly can you hit submit on a computer and be done with your taxes at any income level? The answer is that you can't. There are other exceptions and the optimistic estimate is that 70% of people have free efiling available, the realistic number is probably less than half.

I've used H&R block for free online the last several years including for things like dividends, capital gains, and trust dissolution. I've never seen any income limit or form that I would need to pay to file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Xenoborg posted:

I've used H&R block for free online the last several years including for things like dividends, capital gains, and trust dissolution. I've never seen any income limit or form that I would need to pay to file.

Anecdotes are not data. It's great that you can file yours online but it's ridiculous that it's not open to everyone.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-free-file-for-taxes-isnt-so-popular-1422633546

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Leviathan Song posted:

Unless you're in the large chunk of people who make too much money or have any investments at all. One year turbotax wanted an extra 80 dollars because I had about 30 cents of qualified dividends.

In that case you can use the free filing form from the IRS (if you're over $60K, I think).

E: nm, that doesn't cover state filing.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 5, 2016

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
And that is a horrid system compared to the first world.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SiGmA_X posted:

And that is a horrid system compared to the first world.

That's because we're slowly sliding back to a 3rd world country.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Our taxes are lower, but gently caress you if you think that means easier.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah I didn't mean to imply our system was at all good, Intuit et al makes sure to lobby congress to ensure that tax filing remains required and difficult.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
TaxAct on IRS website is also free and simple

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Vahakyla posted:

TaxAct on IRS website is also free and simple
Last I checked it doesn't import your documents from the IRS. You have to fill it all out like some third world country. Even freaking ESTONIA has a process that takes under 5 minutes and is free. Come on, America!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I will take the 10-20% lower tax burden in exchange for a couple hours of inconvenience per year, although in principle I agree our system in the United States is excessively complicated and fragmented.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I will take the 10-20% lower tax burden in exchange for a couple hours of inconvenience per year, although in principle I agree our system in the United States is excessively complicated and fragmented.

It's not like it would cost appreciably more to do it right though, hell the IRS basically said "yeah we're ready to go" and Congress was all "lol no gently caress u have a funding cut instead"

In a more general sense though I don't think a 10%-20% cut in taxes is at all worth the atrocious state of our social services, education, infrastructure, etc.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

I'm pretty sure the overly complex tax code increases tax burden. I mean they've gotta hire people to check returns on their side also.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

lol

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Weatherman posted:

OK sorry I meant "online, for free, and with a minimum of hassle".

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Lodging-your-tax-return/Lodge-online/

Something something this is communism

Any Australian salary worker who pays someone to do their taxes is immensely BWM.

All the information is already filled out for them, it's basically a 2 minute formality of logging into e-tax and confirming it's all correct

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I think we all know what the solution here is. Flat tax, no deductions. Fire 90% of the IRS.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

potatoducks posted:

I think we all know what the solution here is. Flat tax, no deductions. Fire 90% of the IRS.

lol

or, "BW poorer people's money"

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
100% horse tax, 100% horse estate tax

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Filing taxes as an expat is very easy in Taiwan, and only takes about 5 minutes. I still need to file my US taxes but I can do it online, the only tricky part is because I have a very minuscule (less than $100) from the US that are automatically reinvested in my US retirement accounts.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

bringmyfishback posted:

If this is true, I am extremely happy and relieved for you.

Thanks man. Divorce is total failure but also the best thing.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Weatherman posted:

or, "BW poorer people's money"

BWM: being poor

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
bad with money question:

For my entire life I've filed my own tax returns. Mostly been easy. Figured them out with studying IRS docs and using Turbotax. Filing for 2015 was difficult. I had to pay a poo poo load of money to the IRS. I'm considering now, a month later, to consult with an accountant to review and see if I really checked everything and if not do an amendment. Would BFC recommend this? What would it cost on average? IRA early withdrawal, 1 investment property, figuring out just how to file in the first place was a challenge since I divorced in 2016 but married for 100% of 2015 - ex filed married separately so I had to do the same. Crazy rule that when married filing separately you can't get a child care tax credit. Just a lot of new stuff thrown at me.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

zaurg posted:

bad with money question:

For my entire life I've filed my own tax returns. Mostly been easy. Figured them out with studying IRS docs and using Turbotax. Filing for 2015 was difficult. I had to pay a poo poo load of money to the IRS. I'm considering now, a month later, to consult with an accountant to review and see if I really checked everything and if not do an amendment. Would BFC recommend this? What would it cost on average? IRA early withdrawal, 1 investment property, figuring out just how to file in the first place was a challenge since I divorced in 2016 but married for 100% of 2015 - ex filed married separately so I had to do the same. Crazy rule that when married filing separately you can't get a child care tax credit. Just a lot of new stuff thrown at me.

You might want to consult with an accountant. There are exceptions that allow one to file as head of household, even if the spouse is claiming married filing separate. A tax accountant would help you determine if you qualify for those exceptions.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

zaurg posted:

bad with money question:

Holy poo poo. It may have taken a while, but someone actually took the internet's advice and severed?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Blinkman987 posted:

Holy poo poo. It may have taken a while, but someone actually took the internet's advice and severed?
Haha I totally didn't notice who it was until I read your post.

You finally did it, zaurg!

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 6, 2016

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

zaurg posted:

bad with money question:

Close thread, goldmine this poo poo. I feel like BFC has just jumped the shark.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Blinkman987 posted:

He shrewdly waited to have some kids and buy a house first.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Giraffe posted:

He shrewdly waited to have some kids and buy a house first.

:golfclap:

Zaurg, the cost for an accountant varies wildly with location and services. I can't say whether you should have someone look at it, but if you are, you're just going to have to call around locally and/or get recommendations from people you know.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
Wasn't his wife in accounting or something? Maybe I am mixing my bfc stories.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Blinkman987 posted:

I'm torn between being glad that he got out of that poo poo, and disappointed that we won't get any more zaurg stories. My official guess is that she left him, but it's good that he's out, however it happened.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
lol if you think that Europeans pay significantly more in taxes / fees than Americans. If you want to be pedantic about definition of a tax, that's technically true then... but that's very misleading about what minimum costs of living mean. If you add in the fact that these statistics exclude healthcare costs which Europeans get typically, Americans on average pay a lot more for worse services and a whole hell of a lot more paperwork to fill out if you job hop. I pay out easily 40% of my income in healthcare and taxes, and I still have zero guarantee about whether treatment for a terminal illness won't put me in bankruptcy despite the passage of ACA.

zaurg posted:

I'm considering now, a month later, to consult with an accountant to review and see if I really checked everything and if not do an amendment. Would BFC recommend this? What would it cost on average? IRA early withdrawal, 1 investment property, figuring out just how to file in the first place was a challenge since I divorced in 2016 but married for 100% of 2015 - ex filed married separately so I had to do the same.
I used a fee-only CFP and CPA that did my complicated taxes involving real estate transactions, numerous stock transactions, schedule-K filing, and amortizing past business expenses with carried deductions. Then I lived in a really high cost of living area and was charged only $250. What made it much easier for him was that I had done two things: 1. already filled out my taxes with what I thought the math should work out to be and it turned out I was correct in what I owed and would get as a return down to the cent 2. I had already kept my receipts and forms organized and roughly together. What was really nice was he organized my tax return with supporting documentation.

Also, married filing separately is horrific in the tax rates (really, phasing out / elimination of almost every deduction possible) so I wouldn't be surprised if you owe this year when you've historically gotten a small return.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

necrobobsledder posted:

lol if you think that Europeans pay significantly more in taxes / fees than Americans

for now. just wait superior EUgoons for the collapse of your empire and the welcoming of your russian overlords.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Zaurg, I'm not ashamed to say that I want to hear the story, if you're willing to share it here or in another thread. I want to know what happened with all her crazy money demands! I followed your threads. I bet other people want to know too.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

lol if you think that Europeans pay significantly more in taxes / fees than Americans. If you want to be pedantic about definition of a tax, that's technically true then... but that's very misleading about what minimum costs of living mean. If you add in the fact that these statistics exclude healthcare costs which Europeans get typically, Americans on average pay a lot more for worse services and a whole hell of a lot more paperwork to fill out if you job hop. I pay out easily 40% of my income in healthcare and taxes, and I still have zero guarantee about whether treatment for a terminal illness won't put me in bankruptcy despite the passage of ACA.

Even if you just add in all of the per capita healthcare expenses in the US not currently funded by taxes (about half) and treat it like "should be income tax" Americans still pay a significantly lower hypothetical income tax burden than countries like Belgium, Austria, Germany, France, and Italy. This is also ignoring the large EU VAT compared to typical US sales taxes as well as various property and usage taxes that are typically much higher in Europe. It is not a particularly controversial point to suggest that almost any way you measure it taxation is higher in Western Europe than in the US.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

A wild zaurg appears

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Cicero posted:

Haha I totally didn't notice who it was until I read your post.

You finally did it, zaurg!

god bless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Breaking: Area man files as head of household despite divorce, is zaurg

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Who got the wonderhangers when you split stuff up?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

drat, first Caro is found alive and well (?), we've got the triumphant return of Zaurg, and the New York Times is linking to front page posts. What a time to be a goon.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Mojo Threepwood posted:

drat, first Caro is found alive and well (?), we've got the triumphant return of Zaurg, and the New York Times is linking to front page posts. What a time to be a goon.

Trump's America is gonna be so great with money. We're gonna have so much money, you won't know what to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

potee posted:

Trump's America is gonna be so great with money. We're gonna have so much money, you won't know what to do with it.
We're going to have binders full of money money bigly. It's going to be the classiest fascist regime you've ever seen.

• Locked thread